PDA

View Full Version : *How Long did it take Grow your hair Long after a big cut?*

*girlypearl*
March 22nd, 2010, 11:14 AM
A few months ago I cut my hair to a neck length bob with layers, I regret it so much!!! (Learns from mistake) This is the shortest my hair has ever been, and I don't know how long it is going to take me to grow it long again. Or at least to a point where it feels longer than it is now. My hair grows pretty fast so I keep my fingers crossed. Just wondering who else out there had the same experience and how many months/years it took you to grow your hair out/back. Let me know:)
*Happy Growing*

Eboshi
March 22nd, 2010, 11:23 AM
Well, I started out in early 2004 with my hair heavily layered and almost grazing my shoulders. After six years and many trims to take out the layers, my hair is thigh-length.

It's not yet 'long' though. :(

Eboshi
March 22nd, 2010, 03:49 PM
Did I kill this thread?

Akiko
March 22nd, 2010, 05:02 PM
Did I kill this thread?

Heehee. I might be the killer? :D

Well, my last CHOP was Novemember 2007. My hair was shoulder length then. It took me a little over 2 years to reach my current length.

SL was a bad choice. My hair did not know what to do. Never do that again.

Dreams_in_Pink
March 22nd, 2010, 05:14 PM
Did I kill this thread?

Not really :D

Well, i got a pob haircut (chin length in the front, pixie in the back) last year and still recovering from it. According to my estimation, i'll hit APL this summer; BSL next year, waist 2 years later and finally tailbone 3 years later from now on.

RocketDog
March 22nd, 2010, 05:25 PM
It's taken me almost four years to grow from a buzz cut to BSL, but there was a good amount of that time where I wore a heavily stacked bob, so I didn't gain any 'back' length, only the stuff in front was allowed to grow out. I didn't start seriously growing out my hair from the bob until spring of '08, when the front parts of my hair were just tickling my chin. I still trim frequently, so my length gains may not be as impressive as some, but I'm finally getting to a length that allows me more freedom in updos :)

aef231
March 22nd, 2010, 05:29 PM
Back when I started high school my hair was in a pixie cut. I grew it out to somewhere between BSL and waist (with only infrequent, minimal trims if I remember correctly) all through school and cut it off the November after I graduated. So that means... From pixie to BSLish in roughly 4 years. Sorry it's so imprecise
:o

kirstybn
March 22nd, 2010, 05:30 PM
I had a Josie and the *****cats layered haircut about Jan. 2001. By 2002 it was back to APL!!! Not bad. I regret getting hair extensions last year because they pulled out a lot of my real hair. They did look really great though.

2peasinapod
March 22nd, 2010, 06:39 PM
I decided to grow my hair out from a pixie (above my ears) in February 2009, and it's grazing my shoulders now.

Good luck to you! :)

aef231
March 22nd, 2010, 06:44 PM
I had a Josie and the *****cats layered haircut about Jan. 2001. By 2002 it was back to APL!!! Not bad. I regret getting hair extensions last year because they pulled out a lot of my real hair. They did look really great though.

Was this level of censorship necessary, since it wasn't talking about anything inappropriate? I'm not being sarcastic, I'd genuinely like to know, because I'm still trying to get feel for things around here :)

chloeishere
March 22nd, 2010, 07:05 PM
That word is automatically edited out by the software, that is not a mod edit in any way. We know the word was not used in an inappropriate way, and no one would get it trouble for using that word in that context; it's just an auto filter to make sure that those words don't slip through in an inappropriate context.

For example, one time, I was talking about graduating magna *** laude in a thread about college. I was very amused to see how that came out (you can say, however, magna cvm laude). It's just the software safeguard, since we do have minors as members on this site, and we have a PG-13 guideline here.

Oh! I guess I can include my time too.

I got a pixie, but chose not to grow out my hair for quite a while, so I won't include how long that took (about 10 years! With many, many haircuts).

I started here with hair at about chin/ midneck length in October 2007. The first year, I was at APL. Second year, BSL. I'm currently at waist (I guess about two years and five months). Fairly regular trims, too; I like a blunt u-shaped hemline.

Irishred
March 23rd, 2010, 06:57 AM
My last big "chop" was summer 2003 when I was pregnant with DD. I have done many trims since then ranging in 1/8th inch to 3 inches. Currently I am upper mid thigh - or the vast expanse beyond classic. It will be 7 years in July.

If your hair grows the average of 1/2 inch a month, you can estimate how long your hair will be over time.

naomimcc
March 23rd, 2010, 09:31 AM
I had a pixie cut in 1996 and it's now 2010 and I'm butt length. My hair takes FOR.EVER. to grow.

myrrhmaiden
March 23rd, 2010, 09:39 AM
I had that blasted angled bob with the back sheared to the nape. One and a half years later I am at BSL. Never again.

Oskimosa
March 23rd, 2010, 05:59 PM
Did I kill this thread?

Yes. I read where you said your thigh-length hair was not long, looked at my waist-length hair, and proceeded to soak my pillow in tears without replying. :lol:

Um, well, anyhow... my story was that after growing my hair "long" (BSL) for my wedding, I got bored and cut it off into a pixie. That was NOT intentional, it was a salon botch-up. I only wanted to cut enough to donate and .. well... ANYWAY I ended up with a pixie. That was in January of '08. It is now March of '10 and I have had one 1.5" trim. I am now at waist. That's about 16.5 inches of growth in 26 months, so ABOUT 2/3" per month! Wow, I thought I was going slower than that!! :cheese:

janeytilllie
March 23rd, 2010, 07:07 PM
My big chop was last June 09. I cut from tailbone to above APL. It's now 2-3 inches above waist. It's taken me 9 months to get there. :)

JamieLeigh
March 24th, 2010, 09:49 AM
When I was ten, I had a shoulder-length cut due to home perm/tangle issues. In 7 years it was a little bit longer than it is right now, nearly knee. In 1998, I cut it again to a bit below BSL. It was tailbone length in 3 years. It grows pretty quickly.

*girlypearl*
March 24th, 2010, 09:57 AM
This is all sooooo very encouraging!!! You all have such beautiful hair :D and even after big cuts, were able to grow it back in no time. I feel like this process is taking me forever. This is the shortest my hair has ever been! I am somewhere between 17.5 & 18.5 inches, give or take, because I don't feel like I ever measure accurately enough to get a consistent answer and it seems to linger between those two numbers. My mini-goal is APL all one length, but for some reason that seems decades away. I would like to be there by the end of the summer, if not a little longer than APL (fingers crossed). Patience is a virtue I guess. But, I don't have the patience to have patience!!!
:D:D:D

TinaDenali
March 24th, 2010, 10:00 AM
I chopped my hair to a chin length angled bob (the hair at the nape of my neck was under 1" long!) in August 2008. I've trimmed it myself three times (to 'unangle' it) and now it is about an inch past BSL and about three inches from waist length. I feel like it should be longer, but it's grown about 12 inches in 18 months - including 3 trims.

Stormphoenix
March 24th, 2010, 10:04 AM
I had a similar experience 5 years ago and again last year. 12 months later it is *still* layered and too short for my liking. I figure it will take a total of two years before the layers are all gone and it is below shoulder length.

The first year is the roughest.

Bluebell
March 25th, 2010, 07:28 AM
The chop and grow example is in my siggy. It took me 4 years and the first year is the roughest, like Stormphoenix said.

goodenough
March 25th, 2010, 07:45 AM
I think for me I hit a milestone a year--from bob to apl to bsl to waist-that's how it worked for me. Except between waist and hip only takes a few months on me. But that's just because of my body shape.

I had my back cut to my hairline last Sept. and hated the way the back looked. So I put in a few layers, which seem to be blending in okay now, even though they were horrid and I did them myself. My back goes to my shoulders now, and I'm pretty sure I can be to bsl in a year of no trims. But if the shape gets funky, I might have to trim.

I don't even care how long it takes to get to apl or whatever, I care more about being able to put it up in a ponytail without pins or clips. As long as I can do that by summer, I'll be happy:)

Siava
March 26th, 2010, 12:17 PM
My hair grows super slow and with the curls the length seems to take forever before progress is seen. I went from less than an inch to BSL in 4 years. The first year of grow-out was the worst from the trims to even things up.

Twil
March 26th, 2010, 10:08 PM
Aw, I had a chin length blunt bob in 08, but now it's a few inches past bra strap length. Don't worry, you'll grow it out!

habioku
March 27th, 2010, 05:21 AM
I also had a chin-lenght cut when I was 16 and about 2 years later my hair was already again at waist-lenght.

Armelle
March 27th, 2010, 07:51 AM
I went from waist to above the shoulders in 2000. I reached hip length by early 2009. This is with some trims-of-doom. I had to cut again in early 2009 to just above bsl and am just past waist now.

long.again
March 28th, 2010, 12:28 AM
I had a super pixie cut (about 1") in November 2000. Then in May 2006 it was about nipple length. I took horrible care of my hair though.

Then, in Nov 2006 I cut my hair (a longer pixie) and trimmed it tons and tons until March 2008 when it was semi-layered, longest layers at my jaw. Now I'm a little bit farther than collar bone with all the layers aligned.

Just last month I had my final trim where the front finally totally matched up with the back. I feel like now I'll have faster growth with fewer (or no) trims but it's probably a good two years until I'm at BSL.

TizrahRae
March 28th, 2010, 10:13 AM
I did the same thing this December/January. It's nearly to my shoulders, now. It usually takes me a year to grow it to a decently long length. I think it takes a year for me to get to BSL-ish.

Longlocks3
March 28th, 2010, 10:23 AM
About 8 years ago I cut to the tops of my shoulders. I am now at classic BUT I wasn't actively growing my hair super long most of those years. I'd say it took about two years to get to BSL(with trims), waist took another year and I kept trimming at that length.

Ugh, when I think of where I would be now if I hadn't done all those trims!

Capybara
March 28th, 2010, 07:29 PM
I cut my hair up to about APL about 2 1/4 years ago.
Now, I'm almost at TBL :D So, about 2 years?

masa_inn
March 28th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Had a pixie in 2007; BSL in 2009; it would be at waist now; but I had to chop off a lot due to the heat damage.

Never going pixie road again - it looked great; but growing it out was no fun - too many awkward styles.

Naturelover
March 29th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Mine grows kind of fast, but not fast enough to get to longer lengths.

Verybadhairday
April 1st, 2010, 11:24 AM
I had mine cut to above shoulder length about 2.5 years ago. Big mistake! My hair is so thick, curly and frizzy that it looked awful and I had to use heat on it to style it. This meant that when growing it out, I had to have frequent trims to keep it looking tidy. I'm now at waist I think and i've had looaaadds cut off in little bits since the big cut. My hair was never especially long to begin with though, but it has been getting thicker and more wild, so it needs to be long to sit right!

teela1978
April 1st, 2010, 12:06 PM
Was this level of censorship necessary, since it wasn't talking about anything inappropriate? I'm not being sarcastic, I'd genuinely like to know, because I'm still trying to get feel for things around here :)

I'm pretty sure that word gets automatically bleeped out by the forum, I would be amazed if kirsty actually starred it out on her own.

(just to check... *****) ETA: yup. automatically put into stars.

Rhiannon7
April 2nd, 2010, 02:41 AM
The times i have cut alot (from TBL to shoulders.) it has taken me about 2 years to get back to waist. last time i did a big cut was back in Jan. 2008 I went from TBL ( went from 36 inches to 22 inches, ) to just below shoulders and it has taken a bit over 2 years plus some trims ( 1 or 2 inch trims from Jan. 2008 until Feb. 2009. then no trims from Feb. 2009 until Dec. 2009. and a tiny 1 1/2 inch trim in Feb. 2010) to get back to almost waist. hoping to hit waist 30 Inches by Jul 2010.

Takes patience and alot of pampering but believe me the cut helps to grow healthier hair in the long run. and healthier hair grows better and faster. just pamper your hair alot, treat it like antique lace and use all tips and tricks here that your hair likes.

Happy growing.

KittyLost
April 5th, 2010, 11:04 AM
This has been really useful thread to me too! I also have a bob/a-line cut and was wondering how long it would roughly take to get it down to the base of my back!

Happy growing! Hopefully it won't take as long as you thought :)

chopandchange
April 6th, 2010, 11:38 AM
I have a question to add to this thread. Is it true that it takes roughly one year to grow between each "milestone?" (i.e. BSL to waist, waist to TB, TB to classic, etc).

I say this because I see a lot of progress pics where people seem to have hit a new milestone each year. Will this vary from person to person? Would it be better to measure how far you have to grow in inches and then work out how many months it will take?

spidermom
April 6th, 2010, 11:54 AM
10 years from short and layered to current length, with lots of trims. I'm sure it would have gone faster if I didn't prefer a nice, even hem.

PadmeAmidala
April 6th, 2010, 01:29 PM
I had a chin-length bob in 1999, it took me four years to grow them back to waist-length. Never again!

nikki_h_007
April 6th, 2010, 04:41 PM
i had chin bob in feb 09. its now 18" long. its taking FOREVER. do any of you know if this is normal?!? i dont blow dry or straighten (well maybe once every couple of months at the most) i deep condition weekly. (or oil treatment) i have a natural brush, a wide comb for detangling. a silk pillow to sleep on. i dont use hair bits which tear the hair.

I feel like im taking so much time and effort and nothing is happening! if i get my hair cut i will find splits the next day. i cant s and d as it is impossible i might as well get a trim. but im trying to grow it! not get it shorter!

at the moment im just getting a 1cm trim every 3 months. (but its swiftly turning to 2) i know splits wont go away, but if i cut them all off continually id be bald!
thing is my hair feels soft, and is generally managable. EXCEPT THE ENDS AND sloooow GROWTH! (last 3 months=1") avg growth (0.4" per month)

any ideas very very welcome :)

*moan completed

asiajewel
April 6th, 2010, 08:02 PM
hey!
So in September 09, i chopped by hair up to my neck (15") and have been growing it ever since. I definetly regret it. Well kind of because i needed a cut but not that short! My hair is now 21", and my end goal is 30" which is around wait.
I'm lucky because my hair grows about an inch a month. yes! but i'm still inpatient. I wish it'll grow faster!
But at least ,my hair is alot healthier than it was before.

BUT, i have a question too! Should i trim??? let me know :)