PDA

View Full Version : "Grown-up" Braids on msn.com

Lamb
March 4th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Looks like braids really are "in". Some of these styles are obviously taken out of TLHC style book, with some styling goo added! :p
http://lifestyle.msn.com/your-look/makeup-skin-care-hair/staticslideshowglamour.aspx?cp-documentid=23512409&gt1=32002

forgetmenotak
March 4th, 2010, 09:35 PM
I'm glad that different kinds of braids are going mainstream, and I like the looks of the "poufy" braid.

GoddesJourney
March 4th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Yup, I was just looking at this. I bet celebrity stylists go online for ideas.

adiapalic
March 4th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Not to sound "cliquey", but I think our LHC crowd has them way beat! :o

walterSCAN
March 4th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Not to sound "cliquey", but I think our LHC crowd has them way beat! :o

Not to continue the trend, but I think you're right... :wink:

SimplyViki
March 4th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Cool! I love how my bedhead braid is always the favored one in the fashion mags. :p

Did anybody else notice how they said "5 Grown-Up Ways to Wear Braids", and then gave you only 4? MSN does that all the time. It's soooo annoying!

Almandine
March 4th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Man, what's with the implication that braids are childish? I wear my hair in double braids constantly because it's so long and I don't want a bald spot from bunning too much. I don't think it's childish at all.

walterSCAN
March 4th, 2010, 10:11 PM
Man, what's with the implication that braids are childish? I wear my hair in double braids constantly because it's so long and I don't want a bald spot from bunning too much. I don't think it's childish at all.

You know, I was thinking that too... I love double braids and don't think they're childish either.

Tresses
March 4th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Cool! I love how my bedhead braid is always the favored one in the fashion mags. :p

You beat me to it. :lol:

Copasetic
March 4th, 2010, 10:36 PM
I want to learn to do that halo braid so bad! It looks so nice :(

Teacherbear
March 4th, 2010, 10:44 PM
I'm soooo in fashion then with my ratty braid (you know, the day old, frizzed out braid)! Yay!

Quixii
March 4th, 2010, 10:51 PM
Nifty! I actually really like the halo braid. I wonder if I could actually get it to look right..?
The other ones I'm not so crazy about, but I at least I can claim that my icky frazzled braid at the end of the day is just a try at fashion. :lol:
Speaking of which, whenever I wear a rope braid now, I get SO many compliments on it! I went to the doctor the other day and nearly everyone in the office complimented it. The first nurse even called another one in just to see. It was so funny. xD

Beets
March 4th, 2010, 10:55 PM
Geesh, I live in the "undone braid." :rolleyes: Fashion media is so silly.

Cassi
March 4th, 2010, 11:49 PM
sooo. everyday I wake up and think I look disheveled with my crazy, messy braid:eyebrows: ... I am really in fashion? hahaha love it!

heynormy
March 4th, 2010, 11:59 PM
I JUST read this in Vogue magazine!
It looks like braids are in for spring, but it seems that we've been way ahead of this trend! ;)

Wanderer09
March 5th, 2010, 01:52 AM
It's always nice when the way my hair looks when I wake up in the morning is apparently the cutting edge of fashion. :p

Keildra
March 5th, 2010, 01:59 AM
I want to learn to do that halo braid so bad! It looks so nice :(
Go on Youtube and look up Elizabethan Hair taping you'll find a few videos.

TXbarbie
March 5th, 2010, 02:34 AM
I loveee the look of braids! Unfortunately I have a "baby face" - back when I was a cocktail waitress men would constantly ask the manager if I was old enough to work at a bar. So I rarely wear braids to class but I would if I could!

Nae
March 5th, 2010, 06:28 AM
Hey look!! We are considered *gasp* "grownup" now! I especially like the notion that it is SO adult to go out with bedhead hair. I am not suprised though, they have some pretty crazy super short bedhead styles.

I am glad that braids are becoming popular though, score one for the longhairs.

catysue
March 5th, 2010, 06:43 AM
My go-to 'messy hair day' style is a messy fishtail braid thrown to one side. My hair has layers, so that helps with the messy look. Whenever I braid, I usually braid to the side or throw the braid to the side - regular braids and French braids make me look childish (not saying they ARE childish, they just look like that on me)

I like that article!

Tapioca
March 5th, 2010, 07:47 AM
The lovely Torrin has a tutorial for Elizabethan Hair Taping on her YouTube page. That's where I learned.

http://www.youtube.com/user/torrinpaige#p/u/54/KqbAdvL8kME

IndigoAsh
March 5th, 2010, 08:20 AM
I wish they'd have some classy hairdo's... I wear my hair in a braid to keep it from my kids, but I want something classy and different that says 'I take time for my hair before I leave my house'. I don't like looking frazzled.

Finoriel
March 5th, 2010, 08:26 AM
You mean my one :ponder: err two day old ratty sleep-braid is fashionable now? Eek :laugh: guess I need to strive for a more polished look then :p . Dang.

Igor
March 5th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Hm, so I can continue wearing my hair the way I like, is easy to do and I feel comfortable with… And be stylish?

Win-win!!

:cheer:

restourceful
March 5th, 2010, 09:03 AM
My layered braid with all the sticky-outy parts is in vogue??!!! shudder:Darn, now I look like everyone else. *frantically trying to decide on a new style* I don't want to look like the latest fashion. I like being unique.:wail:

But seriously, and all kidding aside, my layered braid that I've been so frustrated with because it would not behave and be neat is now all the rage. Who'da thunk it? I'll just continue my uniqueness with my ReneGray hair in a messy layered braid. We are really the trendsetters here, ladies (and guys). But we knew that all along, didn't we?:cool:

Carolyn
March 5th, 2010, 09:06 AM
I love it! It's nice to see long hair getting positive press. So often it's all about cutting it off instead of finding fun new ways to wear it. I love the crown braid with the ribbon.

bumblebums
March 5th, 2010, 09:38 AM
Do not fret--tomorrow, this will pass, and we will go back to being our old frumpy unfashionable selves.

Rentlle
March 5th, 2010, 09:42 AM
haha, we loved braids WAY before everyone did!!! :D
muha :p
I love the last style, and the first... and the crown,... haha :p

JamieLeigh
March 5th, 2010, 09:47 AM
There are so many EASIER ways to get those looks. Just sleep in a braid for the first one! :p

I was about to get irritated when I noticed the title of the article suggested there were 5 braids, when I only saw photos of 4.........and then I noticed a video link for a "sexy side braid". So I'm ok with it now. :D

Igor
March 5th, 2010, 10:20 AM
”Look, ma! I’m in fashion!”

http://22757575.dk//ida/photo/images/Crown%20wrap4C.jpg

(Ignore goofy expression, kthx?)

Darkhorse1
March 5th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Igor--great style! :) And you look lovely---look at my facial expressions--that's what goofy looks like ;)

girloctopus
March 5th, 2010, 12:55 PM
”Look, ma! I’m in fashion!”

http://22757575.dk//ida/photo/images/Crown%20wrap4C.jpg

(Ignore goofy expression, kthx?)

Gorgeous! I love how neat your hair always seems to be as well.

WritingPrincess
March 5th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Do not fret--tomorrow, this will pass, and we will go back to being our old frumpy unfashionable selves.

:agree:

Twin braids are supposed to be "childish", as in pigtails, but I think when they get long enough, they don't remind people of pigtails anymore. I wear them often enough, and I don't think they look like "pigtails", just two long braids dangling down my back and falling into whatever I'm doing--which is why I tie them together or just wear one in the first place.