PDA

View Full Version : Son wants purple hair

Nyghtingale
February 27th, 2010, 09:53 AM
My son wants to have purple hair. Can anyone give me some advice on doing this? What products, techniques. I appreciate it, thanks!

BelleBot
February 27th, 2010, 10:16 AM
What colour is his hair to start off with?
The best way is to pre lighten the hair using bleach of some description, then dyeing it with a direct purple dye such as manic panic, directions, crazy colour etc. They're semi permanent so need to be redone every 4-6 weeks as they fade/wash out otherwise, but they seem best for getting a bright unnatural colour.

Also, is your son still in school? My little brother dyed his hair blue (same way as described above) though was dismissed from school as a result, so I and several hair dressers spent the next few days using harsh detergents on his hair to get the colour to fade enough so a brown semi could be used over the top. They're not easy colours to get rid of at quick notice unless you go over them with black/dark brown.

If it's just a temporary thing he's after, perhaps use spray in colour or coloured gel as that washes out easily.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Nyghtingale
February 27th, 2010, 10:52 AM
He's not in school right now. Here is a pic of his hair from last summer.
http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu115/nyghtingale/DS072609.jpg

It's longer and a little darker now from being inside. He wants to c_t it short, and spike it.

BelleBot
February 27th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Oh wow, he has lovely hair.

Yeh, I'd go for the pre ligthening method, then use a direct dye such as Manic Panic. Here's the website which will give you more tips and has all the available colours etc. http://www.manicpanic.com/
The more you pre lighten the hair, the brighter the purple will be. Or you can just use purple over his current hair colour and it will give it a purple hint which is most noticeable in the light.

I used the pre lightening method and Directions colour by La Riche in Rose Red/Cerise (I've also used Crazy Colour by Renbow in Cyclamen) to do this to my hair. Naturally I'm a dark blonde colour, though prior to going pink I was actually almost black from previous dye jobs.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4783&pictureid=63594

The lightening is the most damaging part of the process. The actual purple dye causes negligible damage.

Upside Down
February 27th, 2010, 11:58 AM
Offtopic: that is my dream colour, BelleBot! looovely.

Nyghtingale, if he wants to try out purple tint, maybe he can try using ink? That is what I did when I was red, and wanted purple, only I got the blue ink (here we have two types blue and purplish), so with red it gave the purplish thing, and washed out in one or two washes.

Also a friend of mine who had crazy color turquoise blue used to dip her hair in diluted ink to brighten the color a bit if she didn't have the time to dye again.

Basically you just put a bit of ink (like a table spoon or so) in a batch of water and dip your head in it.
It is not very precisely defined, I always did it differently, so maybe strand test and try. It is not permanent, at least it was not on me and my friend.

kwaniesiam
February 27th, 2010, 12:01 PM
You'll have to bleach it. 30 volume Clairol Pure White developer and Wella Bleach powder are my favorites for preparing for unnatural colors. Special Effects will last far longer than Manic Panic, though its harder to find. You should be able to get everything you need at Sally's. Avoid bleach kits that come with the powder and developer all together, they tend to not work as well and are not as strong plus if he plans to keep it up, you can just mix the bleach as you need rather than buying another kit.

ademtce
February 27th, 2010, 12:12 PM
you'll have to bleach the hair.
safest bleach is Wella oil bleach, you can get it a Sally's (while your there pick up Wella In Depth.) for a decent price. you'll need 20 Vol developer. anything stronger will lighten too quickly. and i assume that your not very experienced with bleach so the 20 is for the safety of hair.

when you apply the bleach, apply half an inch to 1" away from the scalp and process the length first to the desired lift. then go back to the roots and apply. be careful not to overlap, this is very important. watch the roots because they will lighten much quicker than the length because of body heat. after you've bleached the desired amount, apply In Depth for 15-45 mins. In Depth restores pH balance to hair which is essential in fully closing the cuticle and helps bring brilliant shine.

then apply the purple.

good luck.

p.s. always run a strand test first.
be careful how light you bleach, if you lighten too much the color wont hold for longer than a few days.
it possibly that it can end up with a brown tone to it. since when you lighten likely you'll see lots of yellow, and purple cancels yellow. (mixing purple & yellow makes a very dull brown) you can read my thread for more information - Beginners Guide to Color. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=33667)

Dementia1013
February 27th, 2010, 12:34 PM
I dyed my hair Purple for years. I fully agree with everything here. Except I used 40 volume Ion Bleach and developer (note that my hair is also very coarse and very dark so you'd probably be able to get away 30 vol.

Also I highly reccomend RAW color. I tried both manic panic and special effects and the colors were very.... muted. like how my hair gets after letting it fade after a few months, but it was the first dye job with both special effects or manic panic.

Also for the dye, if you want a really vibrant purple. Leave the dye on several hours. I would leave mine on 3, 4 hours. After ward the shade ends up looking VERY dark, nearly black. But wash after wash the color lifts and you can have Vibrant purple hair for MONTHS without too noticable fade. I did this for about 10 years and only had to do ROOT touch ups every 3 months.

Again, for examples see my albums.

Cholera
February 27th, 2010, 03:07 PM
I used to have purple hair, and to get from black to an almost-platinum-blonde, I used some 40 volume bleach. On top of that, I used RAW as well, the Deep Purple. It smells like grapes, and it looks fantastic.

Nyghtingale
March 5th, 2010, 09:56 PM
ok, here is the result. he loves it and I have to say the purple is really pretty.
http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu115/nyghtingale/slade111.jpg

jaine
March 5th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Oh my. Is he single?? :)

Nyghtingale
March 5th, 2010, 10:18 PM
Very :cool:

jaine
March 5th, 2010, 10:24 PM
Oh my, oh my... His eyes are putting butterflies in a young girl's heart ;)

cool hair too!

Nyghtingale
March 5th, 2010, 10:27 PM
and you are making a young man blush, lol

MandaMom2Three
March 5th, 2010, 10:29 PM
Very nice 8)

Nyghtingale
March 6th, 2010, 08:33 AM
Thanks MandaMom2Three.

Heavenly Locks
March 6th, 2010, 08:48 AM
Totally COOL! :bigeyes: The color is super and the cut is too... great look!

(and handsome to boot ;) )

jaine
March 6th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Yeah handsome is an understatement! There's probably a trail of swooning ladies behind him everywhere he goes. Melted by those stormy eyes. :)
Why did I click on this thread?! haha. curiosity kills me every time.

Nyghtingale
March 6th, 2010, 10:29 AM
He is handsome, inside and out. He's a good man. I am very proud of him. :p

Shorty89
March 6th, 2010, 11:23 AM
You said he was single right :eyebrows:

Nyghtingale
March 6th, 2010, 11:38 AM
You said he was single right :eyebrows:

yes, and willing to travel, lol

Shorty89
March 6th, 2010, 11:42 AM
yes, and willing to travel, lol
:DIs he about my age I wonder. ;)

Nyghtingale
March 6th, 2010, 11:54 AM
He just turned 22 on Thursday.

natt i nord
March 6th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Hm, seven years... Germany is beautiful, you know? ;) :D

I like that color :)

Svenja
March 6th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Great colour, handsome son - :D

Shorty89
March 6th, 2010, 01:11 PM
He just turned 22 on Thursday. Less than two years :cheese:Send him my way :eyebrows:

Seriously though, his hair (both before and after) look great! The purple spikes really suit him. It makes me want to dye my hair crazy colours again.

jaine
March 6th, 2010, 01:42 PM
I'm already daydreaming about his next trip to Philly :crush:

MotherConfessor
March 11th, 2010, 01:08 AM
Kudos on the the hair and the handsome son - you done good on both counts :cheese:

If I had eyes his color and was looking to use fun colors in my hair I would try to match the two, i mean, imagine how cool it would look to have matching hair and eye color! (I mean if one had blue or green eyes... mine match but its not overly impressive;))

Yarn Muse
March 11th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Cool hair and very handsome son! However, I am old enough to be his mother AND I'm happily married. I have daughters though...lol...

Isilme
March 11th, 2010, 03:44 PM
WOW! Nice! You did a very good job and your son is a hottie, I already have a boyfriend or else I would snatch him;)