PDA

View Full Version : Peppermint Oil, what's it good for?

Xepher
April 30th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Just picked myself up a bottle, hoping to use it's fresh and strong smell to help with BO and such, as well as I just like to have it nearby to sniff because I love mint xD However, i'm wondering if it has any beneficial uses.

girlcat36
April 30th, 2008, 04:13 PM
I like to put some on some kleenex then vaccuum it up to make the air smell better in my house.

Xepher
April 30th, 2008, 04:16 PM
I like to put some on some kleenex then vaccuum it up to make the air smell better in my house.

It's definitely amazing for it's smell!

Do you think it's good for skin at all?

Euphony
April 30th, 2008, 04:25 PM
I think I read somewhere that it oxigenates the skin. It has a nice tingle to it - I adore peppermint soap! Please make sure to dilute it in a carrier oil, no more than 2% peppermint eo in your oil. Peppermint in too high a dosage can make you very shaky and light headed.

Xepher
April 30th, 2008, 04:30 PM
I think I read somewhere that it oxigenates the skin. It has a nice tingle to it - I adore peppermint soap! Please make sure to dilute it in a carrier oil, no more than 2% peppermint eo in your oil. Peppermint in too high a dosage can make you very shaky and light headed.

Wow really? I'll keep that in mind!

I've been slowly filling a vial with vitamin E oil i'm squeezing out of the supplement capsules, and was gonna add emu and peppermint oil to make a nice moisturizer. I'll make sure not to put too much peppermint, but do you think the combo would be okay?

Euphony
April 30th, 2008, 06:50 PM
That sounds fine, I'm not a fan of emu so I haven't studied it - but from what I do know of it, it is a good carrier oil. The vitamin e will help keep the emu from going rancid too quickly (not sure of the shelf life of emu) and the vitamin e is a good antioxidant for you.

I ummmm experienced the too much peppermint personally...I was a little concerned for about a half hour, but then I got better :grin: Peppermint is about my favorite eo, but I hate heat and it's so nice and cooling, and it just feels so clean.

Catladyintown
April 30th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Hi Xepher I tried Peppermint Oil with a Carrier Jojoba Oil on my scalp two years ago. Never again I broke out in little bumps all over my scalp. I did not break out right away and it felt good when I put it on. But 8 hours later my scalp was very sore with bumps all over it. If I was you I would do a little batch test on my arm. HTH

Wanita
April 30th, 2008, 07:32 PM
A whiff of peppermint oil can lessen nausea and headaches.

(a drop on a kleenex or cotton ball)

Xepher
April 30th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Thanks you guys, I appreciate all the info!

SHELIAANN1969
April 30th, 2008, 09:27 PM
If your sinuses get stopped up, you can boil some water or use a vaporizer, and add some peppermint oil, you will quickly be un-stuffed!!

kwaniesiam
April 30th, 2008, 09:37 PM
I adore peppermint and have a bottle of EO, these are some great uses for it! I tried the sniffing of it for a headache and it did actually seem to help, or else I was just so distracted by the amazing smell I forgot my headache for a moment ;)

forgetmenotak
April 30th, 2008, 09:44 PM
I have heard that you can put peppermint oil on your lips to plump them up! It does feel nice on them even if it doesn't work that well!

SHELIAANN1969
May 1st, 2008, 06:55 AM
I have heard that you can put peppermint oil on your lips to plump them up! It does feel nice on them even if it doesn't work that well!

I had some Burts Bees peppermint oil lip balm, I put it on in the cold winter-time, my lips were sooo cold outside I had to wipe it off, peppermint has a cooling effect!!:eek:

Mishka_84
May 2nd, 2008, 10:16 AM
I've got some Peppermint EO, I've used a drop in a face mask before, but apparently my sensitive skin doesn't like peppermint. So now I just put a few drops in the sink filled with warm water, when I get a bath, to add scent to the room without the bad skin reaction.

justgreen
May 2nd, 2008, 10:50 AM
I like to use 2-3 drops in my spritzer bottle of distilled water and jojoba oil.

Pursuer
May 2nd, 2008, 09:44 PM
It can help ease indigestion (try a drop in a spoon of honey) and it invigorates the lymphs when used in a massage.
It is really powerful stuff, so make sure to do a spot test and wait 24 hours before using it in a given area. :)
Sniffing it also has known to improve memory and wake up the senses!