PDA

View Full Version : Growing and caring for beards

Belisarius
February 8th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Have any people here grown long beards? I want to stop with the cutting altogether and also want to grow a nice warm beard. Are there any things special about growing them? Any tricks about grooming?

halo_tightens
February 8th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Watching with interest...

A while back, DH started to grow his goatee long, but got aggravated with it after just a few months. I quite liked how it looked, though! If there's anything that might make it easier, maybe I could convince him to try again...

cmnt831
February 8th, 2010, 02:07 PM
I can tell you what my husband does. First off is to get past the first two weeks (if you haven't already), which can be the itchiest and makes people want to give up and shave it all off. Then just wash it occasionally with mild soap, dh uses handmade cold process all natural soap, and oils it to keep it soft. He combs it and he does trim it a bit at this point because he needs to look neat and well-kempt for work. He had found some website awhile back were he got lots of tips. I don't know the name of it, but I'm sure it would come up if you googled beards.

little_cherry
February 8th, 2010, 02:11 PM
My hubby just let his grow, but he did use a light conditioner to keep it 'soft'.

I loove beards!

halo_tightens
February 8th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Once in a while, DH would let me oil his beard while he was growing it out. It made the silly little fantasy girl in me feel quite exotic, ancient-world-style, gently stroking scented oils into a man's beard...

I'm a little silly about these things, you see. :D

cmnt831
February 8th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Once in a while, DH would let me oil his beard while he was growing it out. It made the silly little fantasy girl in me feel quite exotic, ancient-world-style, gently stroking scented oils into a man's beard...

I think that's sweet! Dh likes me to give him a "beard massage" (don't know what else to call it) and now he lets me oil his hair, too. :D I, on the other hand, let no one touch my hair! Except me, of course. :p

jera
February 8th, 2010, 02:35 PM

Lol that's cute. I like beards on men too. DBF has a full beard and just uses conditioner on it. If I ruffle it up he says the hairs feel prickly.:o I'd love to oil his beard for him. Twould be a fantasy come true. :eyebrows:

Pixna
February 8th, 2010, 03:20 PM
My husband has a beard (always has) and I love it. When he was younger, he wore it much longer. Now he likes it shorter (though I keep prodding him to let it grow more). I think one reason he doesn't let it grow longer is that it is harder to maintain and keep neat. He has a trimmer, which he keeps on the longest setting, but if he wants his beard longer, there will be no easy way to keep it well shaped. I'll be watching this thread, too!

Isilme
February 8th, 2010, 03:23 PM
My bf has a very nice beard, but it has some white dots and splits so my conclusion would be that beards probably need S&D just as much as normal hair.

enfys
February 8th, 2010, 03:42 PM
My bf has a very nice beard, but it has some white dots and splits so my conclusion would be that beards probably need S&D just as much as normal hair.

Hmm. That's interesting. I wonder if there's more friction from jaw movement?

DH has a baby beard; he won't grow it longer than his hair so that's only half an inch max. However, he trimmed it more when he was starting off to get it to an even length so it looked thicker and neater. Now it's at that point he trims it every 2 weeks or so. His beard trimmer goes up to 15mm. I suppose longer than that you could use hair clippers, and longer than that (over 1") you could figure out a new method of neatness if you wanted.

I think beards are coming back into fashion. Brad Pitt for example is turning into a bear. About time too!

practikalmagik
February 8th, 2010, 04:13 PM
DBF is almost more proud of his beard then his waist length hair lol. He had to cut it all (7 inches!) off in Oct for a new job but is sneakily growing it again now and it's looking better this time. Tips I've learnt from him:

Use conditioner on it.
Trim the longer hairs so that it stays even, fairytale ends aren't suited to beards ;)
S&D like you would for hair
Most importantly: Ignore all the beard-haters in the world!

Seriously, I do not understand the beard hate DBF gets! A lot of family and friends have told him he should cut it off, his dad even offered him money to do it because it looks 'disgusting'. I seem to be the only one who likes it!

So yeah, kudos to another guy who is growing the facial hair. It takes a lot of guts these days.

Pierre
February 8th, 2010, 11:15 PM
My beard started growing when I started hennaing it. It is now down past my belly button and I'll need to trim it again soon. I oil it and trim knots/splits, but other than that, don't do anything special.

walterSCAN
February 8th, 2010, 11:29 PM
I <3 beards also!!

Any suggestions for getting a beard to come in thicker? (Don't tell DF I'm asking... ;) just curious!)

I don't believe in all that 'shave it off and it'll come in thicker' stuff-- if cutting hair on your head doesn't make it thicker, why would shaving it off your face? :shrug: I've mentioned castor oil to him, but he's not keen on gunk on his face...

GoddesJourney
February 8th, 2010, 11:55 PM
Conditioner/oil for softness. Make sure it stays clean. Like any hair, it will start to smell if you don't wash it. Also, beards collect food and such so make sure it gets brushed and washed. I knew a guy that kept his braided...

Othala
February 9th, 2010, 05:21 AM
DBF is a bit of a grizzly bear and he has a moustache and beard. The hair is usually between half an inch and an inch long and it is thick and vigourous.

I do a major trim on DBF's beard once a month or so (he does a light trim it once a week) and then I oil it with a few drops of sandalwood oil in a coconut oil base. We have also used frankincense oil instead of the sandalwood oil, but prefer the sandalwood oil.

Umm...this is probably TMI but I use a ladies trimmer (for down below) to trim his beard because it has all these wonderful coiffure attachments that allow me to design and shape his beard. It is a much more useful tool than the beard trimmer he has.

Finoriel
February 9th, 2010, 06:11 AM
My other half always had some sort of beard, shapes and length vary and I help him with eventual braiding, trimming and razoring around more elaborate shapes (he has somewhat limited motivity after an arm-injury). Besides that he does not do much fancy stuff with it. Washing it in the shower and rinsing it when he brushes his teeth to make sure thereīs no food stuck somewhere :p.
I think generally there apply the same dos&donīts for beards as for hair, but before it has reached a certain length itīs not really necessary to bother with all the fancy stuff like oils, gentle shampoo, conditioner, high end scissors, S&D etc. Since damage adds up it takes a good while until it becomes visible and if you donīt plan to grow your beard to super length then itīs not necessary to bother with it. Do it if you enjoy it, but itīs not that it wonīt grow, look horrible or be unhygienic in any way if you donīt do deep-treatments on it :wink:.

cmnt831
February 9th, 2010, 06:40 AM
I <3 beards also!!

Any suggestions for getting a beard to come in thicker? (Don't tell DF I'm asking... ;) just curious!)

I don't believe in all that 'shave it off and it'll come in thicker' stuff-- if cutting hair on your head doesn't make it thicker, why would shaving it off your face? :shrug: I've mentioned castor oil to him, but he's not keen on gunk on his face...

Maybe he can work with the parts the are thicker? I have some guy friends whose beards grow in thin or patchy and they just work with what they have and they've grown some pretty cool facial hair patterns :D. Dh's beard comes in pretty thick naturally or I'd have more tips to share.