PDA

View Full Version : do you wash before you henna?

talecon
February 7th, 2010, 01:59 PM
I'm not sure if i should wash my hair before I henna. This may be a pretty basic question but what do you do?

AmericanWoman
February 7th, 2010, 05:41 PM
I always wash before henna. It's much easier to apply on (towel dried)wet hair.and seems to stretch the henna further. Not only that, but it keeps the henna from drying out on the head. Henna stops dying when it's dry. I CO it out.

redneckprincess
February 7th, 2010, 06:29 PM
I use cassia and yes I washed my hair the night before, I applied to dry hair...but I add conditioner (think SMT) with the cassia...I did DD12 hair also but we applied to 20% wet hair after shampooing

tina1025
February 7th, 2010, 06:32 PM
I dont wash my hair before i apply henna.

SpeakingEZ
February 7th, 2010, 09:47 PM
I have to wash it before I do any sort of cassia or henna to get the oils out. If my hair still has oil in it, the henna/cassia doesn't seem to hold onto my length at all.

walterSCAN
February 7th, 2010, 10:11 PM
I don't. Last time, I did it on 2nd/3rd day hair (can't remember exactly) and noticed no untoward effects. I think it's a matter or personal preference/ how your hair takes henna dye.

hannagrrl
February 7th, 2010, 10:55 PM
I don't. I apply it to dry, recently (but not immediately prior to) washed hair so that it's clean, but not too clean. I'll end up washing it when I'm rinsing out the henna anyway, so why do it twice? (or more?)

aahavaa
February 8th, 2010, 10:00 AM
I wash it before then apply it to damp hair.Seems to stick to the hair more instead of sliding off it when my hair is dry.Plus this way the hennad hair doesn't dry out ,making it then a nightmare to wash out.

jesamyn
February 8th, 2010, 11:30 AM
I don't wash immediately before. I've tried applying in damp hair, and it doesn't work for me. I apply to dry hair, but I make sure it doesn't have shea butter, AVG, or styling products in it.

Tarja Sky
February 8th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Do you wash only with water then? Or do you use CWS-method? Or something else?

Canarygirl
February 8th, 2010, 03:01 PM
I wash with a clarifying shampoo and apply the henna mud to damp hair

indigonight
February 8th, 2010, 03:08 PM
I do a light shampoo, helps henna to penetrate if cuticle is open on wet hair and as someone else said henna goes further does not dry out as fast and saturates better.

talecon
February 8th, 2010, 04:46 PM
I think I'll try that next, a light shampoo and apply henna to damp hair :)

cleanbug
February 8th, 2010, 09:15 PM
I wash with a clarifying shampoo to get excess oils out & then henna. I have a high ratio of grey hair so I dont' want any natural oils getting in the way of the henna doing its thing. Never tried not washing so I don't know if it even makes a difference. I use conditioner only to wash out the henna.

Milui Elenath
February 9th, 2010, 02:48 AM
I don't wash but I do wet it. I figure I will be 'washing' enough to get the henna out! :D

hmmm
February 9th, 2010, 03:42 AM
I never wash before henna. I just put a bit of ritha powder in the mix if I think my hair is dirty.

Gothic Lolita
February 9th, 2010, 05:23 AM
I clarify the wash before I gloss, but I just put the stuff on oily hair. I find it easier to apply it on dryy than on damp hair becaise my hair tangles so much in that state. Since I only gloss and add tons of condish it's very runny and comes out easily again.