PDA

View Full Version : Brushing and hairgrowth

ChloeDharma
March 10th, 2008, 10:48 AM
I haven't noticed any threads on this again yet so i thought i'd start one.

Has anybody found scalp brushing has improved their growth, or maybe reduced shedding and/or reversed hairloss?

I find when i do this daily and scalp massage my shedding dramatically reduces.

Here's a link to one womans story of reversing hair loss/thinning by brushing...

http://recedinghairline.blogspot.com/

Katze
March 10th, 2008, 10:52 AM
hm, I'd like to believe that (and am sure it works for her, and you...) but I notice that when I brush my hair, it gets so greasy so fast (gets slicked down flat), my waves turn into bumps, and I have to wash my hair more often. The more often I wash (or handle) my hair, the more I shed...a kind of vicious cycle.

My mom always said that brushing your hair 100 strokes a night, focusing on the scalp, is the best way to care for your hair, but she has short thin fine hair so I don't necessarily believe her...

Still, after all this winter's shedding, and my scary hair loss at my temples, I'd love to do SOMETHING...

Kirin
March 10th, 2008, 10:59 AM
I'm a daily brusher, every evening, though no particular amount of strokes, just when i feel like stopping lol. I spread some carrot oil through my hair and use a BBB to spread it through, concentrating on my scalp.

I have recently definately had hair regrow in areas that were receeding, the hair is about an inch long now. Not sure if its from the brushing or not.

Feisty Redhead
March 10th, 2008, 11:00 AM
I suppose it's possible that for some people that may work. But certainly not true for everyone. I shed MORE when I brush than when I stick to just combing or finger combing. I do like how good it feels on the scalp to brush occasionally though, so I do brush a couple times a week, usually before washing my hair.

ChloeDharma
March 10th, 2008, 11:10 AM
hm, I'd like to believe that (and am sure it works for her, and you...) but I notice that when I brush my hair, it gets so greasy so fast (gets slicked down flat), my waves turn into bumps, and I have to wash my hair more often. The more often I wash (or handle) my hair, the more I shed...a kind of vicious cycle.

My mom always said that brushing your hair 100 strokes a night, focusing on the scalp, is the best way to care for your hair, but she has short thin fine hair so I don't necessarily believe her...

Still, after all this winter's shedding, and my scary hair loss at my temples, I'd love to do SOMETHING...

Would this thread be an idea for you then??

http://www.forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=423

I can VERY MUCH relate to the thinning issue (hence this obsession lol) i've lost so much from being ill.

Kirin, that at least sounds promising, i'm glad that something you are doing is helping, whether it's brushing or something else.

Feisty Redhead......i've heard a few people say that happens too. With me i loose loads of hair the first couple of days, then the shedding slows right down by about a week or 2 after starting. I think sometimes the brushing removes hairs that are in that "sitting here, not growing anymore......just waiting to fall out" stage which can make it seem like brushing makes you shed more. I'm not saying you SHOULD brush of course, just presenting it as an idea.

domonic_uk
March 10th, 2008, 12:37 PM
If the brushing increases blood flow to the scalp then it would probably have an effect on hair growth

maskedrose
March 10th, 2008, 05:38 PM
I read that blog about reversing a recending hairline as well when LHC was down and it definitely intrigued me. I'm like Katze though, so I only brush right before I wash (every other day) so that I'm not a greaseball. We'll see if it actually works!

wolf girl
March 10th, 2008, 06:44 PM
I've noticed that I get a lot more breakage when I use a brush (BBB only, of course). I have to be really gental. But I get oil build up on my scalp in between washings if I don't. It's a catch-22. Darned if you do and darned if you don't.

SIGH..... :brickwall: What's a long haired to do???

girlcat36
March 10th, 2008, 06:48 PM
This definately reduces shedding for me. I put my hair in a ponytail and brush the scalp only. I stopped doing this when LHC was down and had tons more shedding.

spidermom
March 10th, 2008, 07:01 PM
I recently cut around 2 inches off my hair because of splits/damage. One of the things I am going to give up in hopes of keeping the splits at bay is brushing. I love it, but the longer my hair has grown, the more likely I am to hit snarls just when I think I've got the "all clear." I'll get my scalp stimulation from my wooden comb from now on or scalp massages. I sure hope it helps because I can't think of anything else I can change.

harpgal
March 10th, 2008, 07:11 PM
I brush my scalp with a BBB everyday, but only on detangled hair. However, I do not whip the brush off the ends. I think it has helped keep my scalp very healthy and I have not noticed any additional shedding (except during my normal shed time in the fall). I do not think that brushing in and of itself is "evil". It is all in how a person does it.

RedButterfly
March 10th, 2008, 10:34 PM
I never brush my hair anymore, unless I've roller set my hair. A roller set straightens my hair enough so that I can very gently indulge in a brushing with my Mason Pearson or Kent. Mason Pearsons do feel heavenly on the scalp. This is only once in a blue moon, though. My hair is too delicate to brush.

Since I only comb my curly hair, I do scalp massages to stimulate hair growth and relax my scalp. I think they are more beneficial to my hair growth quest than the brushing ever was.

lynnala
March 11th, 2008, 12:16 AM
This definately reduces shedding for me. I put my hair in a ponytail and brush the scalp only. I stopped doing this when LHC was down and had tons more shedding. That's an excellent idea, girlcat! Putting the hair into a ponytail to brush the scalp. I love to brush my hair because of how it feels on my scalp, but I can never resist running the brush all the way down my hair.

MerryKat
March 11th, 2008, 02:50 AM
This definately reduces shedding for me. I put my hair in a ponytail and brush the scalp only. I stopped doing this when LHC was down and had tons more shedding.

This is a brilliant plan. My hair is happiest with fingercombing and the odd wooden comb, but my scalp does not cope without brushing (I develop a terrible build up and flaking). I am going to try this as of tonight.

KnightsLady
March 11th, 2008, 06:15 AM
I started brushing after reading the article on it promoting growth when I first joined LHC. So far there is quite a lot of new growth coming through, even after a major shed a month or so ago. Not sure if it is due to the brushing or the sorbolene, or both.

I did try stopping for a short time due to concerns about damage, but found I was losing so much hair when it was down that it became depressing. I like the way the brush scoops up the loose hairs, especially after a day of wearing it up. I have also found that combing doesn't appear to be as effective as a scalp massage for me, nor as enjoyable.

Besides, if Harpgal brushes.... I can't get a better recommendation than that! :wink:

Pic of new growth late last year.
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa45/KnightsLady_album/070908Whispies.jpg

lynnala
March 13th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Here's the thing for me, I really don't like combing my hair for some reason, and it's not tangles. My hair is thin and doesn't really get tangles. I just don't enjoy combing it. However, I LOVE brushing my hair! It feels so good and is so, well, sensual! So my routine now is: wooden bristle brush when my hair is clean to try and keep it that way for at least 2 days (my hair gets oily fast). After it starts looking oily and it doesn't matter, I switch to the BBBs to distribute the oils for a day or two. (I wash it every 3 or 4 days, scalp only, no conditioners) I just bought a baby BBB, which doesn't massage the scalp, but it distributes the oils beautifully. As soon as I get a trim, I'm going to keep a careful record of my growth to see if the brushing seems to have an effect on it.

JasmineDaisy
March 13th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Girlcat36: That's a great idea to put your hair in a ponytail when brushing the scalp because it will help ensure that you are stimulating the scalp only. I will have to try that next time.

Bonny
March 13th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Those of you who haven't mentioned what kind of brush you use, do you use BBBs for brushing? I have one of those Body Shop wooden quill brushes, do you think they'd have the same effect on the scalp?

NightingaleLHC
March 13th, 2008, 04:50 PM
I used to use a BBB to spread the sebum, but as I am afraid it is breaking my hair and causing these little flyaway short hairs on top I am experimenting with not using one. Sometimes if I can't find my comb I use a wooden brush to gently detangle my hair.

lynnala
March 14th, 2008, 02:59 AM
I used to use a BBB to spread the sebum, but as I am afraid it is breaking my hair and causing these little flyaway short hairs on top I am experimenting with not using one. Sometimes if I can't find my comb I use a wooden brush to gently detangle my hair. Try a baby BBB brush, made for babies that is. It doesn't penetrate to the scalp, it just very gently distributes the oil. At least for me.

MerryKat
March 14th, 2008, 03:50 AM
I find that a BBB just irritates my hair (wild and fuzzy) and causes damage to my fragile parts.

I use a Denman D3 which stimulates my scalp and if I brush through slowly to the ends does not seem to cause damage.

I love this brush and it feels devine. I have a wooden comb, but it just does not feel as good - the only comb that I really like is the Denman shower comb.

Masara
March 14th, 2008, 04:40 AM
I love the feeling of a brush on my scalp and I don't think I could ever give it up nless I notice a lot of damage. My hair is very fine and tangles when I use combs apart from very wide toothed ones which are OK for detangling but not if I want my hair to look good.
So I brush (a lot) I brush in the morning before I put my hair up and at night before bed (bent over) My hair is always in an updo, so I don't have to worry about brushing/combing during the day.
Since I've always done this, I can't compare before and after shedding or growth, but I have noticed that I don't seem to shed as much as many people here (10 to 20 hairs a day at the most)

lynnala
March 15th, 2008, 02:16 PM
I love the feeling of a brush on my scalp and I don't think I could ever give it up nless I notice a lot of damage. My hair is very fine and tangles when I use combs apart from very wide toothed ones which are OK for detangling but not if I want my hair to look good.
So I brush (a lot) I brush in the morning before I put my hair up and at night before bed (bent over) My hair is always in an updo, so I don't have to worry about brushing/combing during the day.
Since I've always done this, I can't compare before and after shedding or growth, but I have noticed that I don't seem to shed as much as many people here (10 to 20 hairs a day at the most)
Masara, what kind of brush do you use?

ChloeDharma
March 15th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Those of you who haven't mentioned what kind of brush you use, do you use BBBs for brushing? I have one of those Body Shop wooden quill brushes, do you think they'd have the same effect on the scalp?

I use a BBB but i've seen those brushes and have been tempted to buy one, more as a detangler than a BRUSH-brush.....i'm not sure if they would do the same thing (if its the one i'm thinking of) because the sensation i feel on my scalp from a BBB is very different from the feel of more regular hard brush. But i'd say anything that stimulated blood flow to the scalp would be beneficial.

It's nice to hear the success stories here......i'm nervous of breakage too as my hair is thin and fine, but i detangle first and put some oil on hopefully that minimises breakage.

Neon Gloss
March 15th, 2008, 02:33 PM
I'll be trying this! I haven't gave my hair a good brushing for years because I never get tangles (honestly, my hair is weird). I just bought a boar brush today, and I love it.

My stepmom encourages me to brush 100 strokes per day. She used to do it every night before she went to bed, and it made her hair really soft, and it looked great too. As for the shedding, I'm not sure. The growth part, I always thought that brushing stretched your hair to make it seem like it was growing faster, but I suppose it could stimulate growth as well.

ETA: Just read that the whole 100 strokes per day thing is apparently a myth and is considered to be 'overbrushing', although it worked very well for my stepmom's hair. I also read that the whole growth thing is a myth too. Oh well, if anything, I can't wait to have my hair brushed by someone. I miss that feeling!

ChloeDharma
March 15th, 2008, 02:45 PM
I'll be trying this! I haven't gave my hair a good brushing for years because I never get tangles (honestly, my hair is weird). I just bought a boar brush today, and I love it.

My stepmom encourages me to brush 100 strokes per day. She used to do it every night before she went to bed, and it made her hair really soft, and it looked great too. As for the shedding, I'm not sure. The growth part, I always thought that brushing stretched your hair to make it seem like it was growing faster, but I suppose it could stimulate growth as well.

You probably already know this....but if you do it bent over the blood rushes to your head and it feels great. Let us know how the brushing works out for you......oh, and make the most of not getting tangles while you can! lol

maskedrose
March 15th, 2008, 02:54 PM

I am interested too!

I usually use a wooden quill brush (body shop), which I use to detangle (even when it's wet), do updos, and smooth out the frizzies when it's down - it helps that the bristles have been coated many times with different oils.

I have started brushing just my hairline with a BBB, and I think I see a bit of improvement already, but I could just be seeing things :) Time will tell!

Masara
March 16th, 2008, 12:47 AM

I use a Maison Pearson nylon/bristle mix brush. I'm lucky that my mum bought me one when I was a child (she has had the same one since her teens)

I have very fine hair and the nylon/bristle is usually suggested for thicker hair but my mum has thick hair, so that was the type she automatically bought. This meant that I got used to (and loved) the feeling of the brush on my scalp. Dh lost my original brush on a school trip to Paris and when I bought a new one I just replaced it with the one I knew I liked.

I had better explain that I wash my hair every day so I don't have to worry about my hair getting too greasy. When my hair was waist-length, I obviously had to be much more careful with brushing than I am now but I still used my M/P brush a lot. I really can't say that brushing has anything to do with my shedding or if I'm just plain lucky. Or it's just a question of proportion. Since my hair is thin to start with, I think that if I lost the 100+ hairs that some people loose, it would be a much higher percentage of my hair.

Diamondbell
March 16th, 2008, 01:44 AM
My hair is always better when I do the BBB (bending over). Shedding is reduced as well.

KnightsLady
March 16th, 2008, 05:46 AM
I use a David Jones brand BBB. It has a cushion like the Mason Pearson ones. In fact, it looks remarkably like a Mason Pearson without the high price.

stepha
March 18th, 2008, 10:06 PM
I'm terrified of doing anything to thin or to slow growth - obsessive about growth. There's so much good said about scalp stimulation that I massage my scalp habitually - without really noticing what I'm doing. Brushes worry me but I'm seeing good things on this thread. What do you guys think of just going an inch from the scalp or using a metal hair pick? They interest me because the prongs are rather far apart.

ChloeDharma
March 18th, 2008, 10:12 PM
I'm terrified of doing anything to thin or to slow growth - obsessive about growth. There's so much good said about scalp stimulation that I massage my scalp habitually - without really noticing what I'm doing. Brushes worry me but I'm seeing good things on this thread. What do you guys think of just going an inch from the scalp or using a metal hair pick? They interest me because the prongs are rather far apart.

I can't comment on the metal hair pick, but the just brushing the scalp without doing the length sounds good. No idea how you'd do that though, i can do it at my hairline but not the rest....but then i brush bent over covering my scalp in various directions then brush it again once i stand up (it's not a flattering look when i first stand up after a bent over brushing!)

vdhendrix
October 28th, 2009, 11:11 PM
i would say that scalp massages are better then brushing, they both stimulate the scalp, but brushing can damage hair

kittensoupnrice
October 29th, 2009, 06:27 AM
I actually used to have the same greasy problem with my BBB. Brush with it, and I instantly had flat, greasy hair.

However, I've found that it was actually just because of a build-up of grease on my scalp. If I am DILIGENT in brushing my scalp in the morning and at night, (of course, only on dry detangled hair) when I wake up and just before going to sleep, the brushing never makes my hair look greasy, and extends my wash-time. However, if I get lazy, and skip a session with my brush, INSTA-GREASE! D:
I think this is probably because the BBB is good at distributing a certain amount of oil, and after that, it just can't keep up.

It still makes my hair flat, but I just carefully comb through it with my fingers to fluff it out, and it looks fine.

Another interesting thing I've noticed since starting this, if I am diligent about brushing out the oil, I can play with my hair all day and not get greasy.

Babyfine
October 29th, 2009, 08:58 AM
I bought a BBB from Morrocco Method(the one for fine hair) but I don't use it regularly. I also try to do scalp massages.
Some hair loss guru's swear by brushing( Anthony Morrocco, Riquette Hofstein, George Michael)
Others say scalp massage is better. as brushing can be hard on fragile hair. Most curly hair experts say not to brush your hair as it will damage fragile strands.
When I do brush I usually do it before bed so as not to mess up my waves.

Topaz
October 29th, 2009, 09:23 AM
When I first joined LHC, I bought a BBB and tried it. I didn't like how it made my wavy hair look --- breatkage no matter how careful I was, plus my hair was flat and flyaway. NOT a good look for me. Then I bought myself a wooden-bristle brush. That one did better, but it stll pulled out my waves and caused more damage than I wanted. Now I just stick with my wooden combs, and I also use the wooden combs for scalp massages in the mornings and evenings. My hair seems much happier and healthier now that I am keeping all brushes away from it.

Just an aside: I am totally jealous of you folks that CAN use brushes. I love the feel of a brush on my scalp. But alas, it just isn't for me.

RocketDog
October 29th, 2009, 10:49 AM
I only use a BBB to distribute oils and stimulate my scalp the night before a wash, when I'm glomming my hair up with coconut or jojoba oil. Since I don't care what my hair looks like at that point, the 'helmet hair' thing is fine as long as the oil is spread evenly through my hair. Makes my scalp feel really good too, all tingly and happy!

ericthegreat
October 29th, 2009, 10:57 AM
It should also be noted that certain hair types can actually become damaged if it is brushed. Especially very curly hair types like 3b and higher. Its reccommended that you don't brush curly hair at all, you simply use a wide tooth to gently comb it out when its wet and full of conditioner.

And I think that regardless of whether or not you brush any kind of hair, that it doesn't have any effect of your hair's growth rate. Your hair will grow at its own steady rate regardless of whatever physical manipulations you do to the dead parts of your hair that is sticking out of your scalp. The only living parts of our hair are our follicles. Lately in fact, I have only been using my wide tooth on my own hair when its wet, I don't brush it out when it dries. And my hair is actually growing very fast, maybe even faster than when I used to brush it!

Sissy
October 29th, 2009, 11:17 AM
That's an excellent idea, girlcat! Putting the hair into a ponytail to brush the scalp. I love to brush my hair because of how it feels on my scalp, but I can never resist running the brush all the way down my hair.

Yeah, that is a fantastic idea! I'm going to try that :)

Personally, I am not sure if brushing my hair helps it grow. I comb it and brush it daily. I have a BBB brush but I am too scared to use it... I feel as though it's so rough and rips at the hairs. Perhaps I can try brushing just the scalp with it. It does feel good to brush with it :)

ericthegreat
October 29th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Yeah, that is a fantastic idea! I'm going to try that :)

Personally, I am not sure if brushing my hair helps it grow. I comb it and brush it daily. I have a BBB brush but I am too scared to use it... I feel as though it's so rough and rips at the hairs. Perhaps I can try brushing just the scalp with it. It does feel good to brush with it :)

That is my fear too Sissy. Lately I've been wondering about all the possibly damaging things I have done to my hair, and even tho I rarely heat style, when I blow out my hair I use a round BBB brush. I know that the blow dryer alone is quite damaging, but I'm also worried that running my brush over my hair would be like scratching over the surface of my hair.

Sissy
October 29th, 2009, 11:35 AM

Has anybody found scalp brushing has improved their growth, or maybe reduced shedding and/or reversed hairloss?

Here's a link to one womans story of reversing hair loss/thinning by brushing...

I read the article and looked at her photos and am convinced! I am very excited to show this info to my husband whom is starting to have signs of thinning hair, etc.

I wonder... is this lady a member of LHC? Also, did she say anywhere if she was using oils on the brush? If so, what kind? Did she attribute brushing with certain oils to helping with the re-growth or was it just plain ol' brushing without oils?

JessTheMess
October 29th, 2009, 11:55 AM
I have been really lax on brushing my hair. I comb the length once a week and I brush my hair once a month. Oddly enough, since I have stopped brushing every day, my hair shed has been so bad that my Fiance' even made comment that it looks like I am balding. I have always had baby hairs around my hairline, but recently it looks worse and worse. I started to wear a hairband because my updo's are embarrassing due to my extended forehead:o

Canarygirl
October 29th, 2009, 04:55 PM
What would a boar bristle brush "with quills" mean? I notice that Denman has BB without quills and with quills.

ChloeDharma
November 3rd, 2009, 04:26 AM
It should also be noted that certain hair types can actually become damaged if it is brushed. Especially very curly hair types like 3b and higher. Its reccommended that you don't brush curly hair at all, you simply use a wide tooth to gently comb it out when its wet and full of conditioner.

And I think that regardless of whether or not you brush any kind of hair, that it doesn't have any effect of your hair's growth rate. Your hair will grow at its own steady rate regardless of whatever physical manipulations you do to the dead parts of your hair that is sticking out of your scalp. The only living parts of our hair are our follicles. Lately in fact, I have only been using my wide tooth on my own hair when its wet, I don't brush it out when it dries. And my hair is actually growing very fast, maybe even faster than when I used to brush it!

The idea behind brushing for growth is basically the same as for massaging, to increase circulation to the scalp. Also to keep the scalp free of debris. I don't think the idea is that brushing the length itself encourages growth, although the late George Michael was a big fan of brushing, he had a theory that the gentle pulling on the individual hairs somehow kept them in the scalp and growing longer (both literally and time wise). I'm not sure about that theory, but i do notice that hair tugging (gently) is part of the Indian Head Massage routine and is also credited with increasing hair growth.
Personally if i had curly hair i would stick more to scalp massage than brushing, especially with something like a BBB, i'd imagine at best it would pull out the curl and possibly cause frizz, at worst it would provoke tangling and breakage.
I do still have and occasionally use a BBB, but nowdays i prefer a wooden brush which glides through my hair and doesn't cause tangles.

Sissy I don't remember the person who wrote that mentioning oils, i think she attributed the growth purely to the scalp stimulation. It wouldn't be a bad idea to include oils though, i always used to when i had a routine of using a BBB every day.

Canarygirl I think the quills are just to help the bristles penetrate to the scalp. Maybe in years gone by they were some animal part but the ones i see these days are nylon mixed in with the boar bristles. I've never used one with those on myself, but i see no reason not to, especially people with thicker hair might find getting the bristles to their scalp difficult otherwise.

Rapunzal2Be
November 3rd, 2009, 06:17 AM
I used to use a BBB to spread the sebum, but as I am afraid it is breaking my hair and causing these little flyaway short hairs on top I am experimenting with not using one. Sometimes if I can't find my comb I use a wooden brush to gently detangle my hair.

It's possible that those flyaway short hairs on top are new growth and not breakage, though. :D

Redheaded Raven
November 3rd, 2009, 06:54 AM
I read the article and looked at her photos and am convinced! I am very excited to show this info to my husband whom is starting to have signs of thinning hair, etc.

I wonder... is this lady a member of LHC? Also, did she say anywhere if she was using oils on the brush? If so, what kind? Did she attribute brushing with certain oils to helping with the re-growth or was it just plain ol' brushing without oils?
She used to be a member from what was said in her blog, I don't know if she is still active though. :shrug:
The link that she posted is to the new forums and I think that it was supposed to link to the old ones. I will have to check it out and see if I can see who she is... :D

rach
November 3rd, 2009, 10:03 AM
i have a round ended wide comb which massages the scalp really nicely which hardly interferes with my actual hair until it hits the length and it my goodness it a serious distressing technique :meditate: and very good for blood-flow at the scalp :D

Deborah
November 3rd, 2009, 12:33 PM
I have had long hair all my life, and have always been a brusher. Generally I have no split ends, my hair is very shiny, and my hair grows unusually (my mother always said 'freakishly') fast.

I bought a couple of nice combs due to talk on this board, but I like brushing way better, and for me, it seems to be much gentler. When I use a comb is when I hear snapping sounds, not when I brush. Personally I think those old time ladies who advocated brushing knew what they were talking about.

In my opinion combs are only good for detangling wet hair, (I no longer detangle while wet, so even that step is passé for me), for occasionally separating a knot, and for parting the hair. For day to day use, a brush can't be beat. :)

sonng
November 3rd, 2009, 02:17 PM
What's a BBB? :O

Rapunzal2Be
November 4th, 2009, 03:07 AM
What's a BBB? :O

Boar Bristle Brush.

chotee
November 4th, 2009, 05:16 AM
Yaaay! thanks chloedharma for starting a thread on brushing...i love the feel of brushing my hair. but whenever i forget to for a while, i shed till i am back to my routine of brushing everyday. Thats what George michael says in his book that when you start brush only 20 strokes, the next day 40 strokes. go on till you reach roughly a 100. but if you miss out one day go back to 80 strokes ie reduce by 20 strokes for every day missed.

well, but different people have different opinions but brushing does help me :smile:

cheers

Rapunzal2Be
November 28th, 2009, 06:28 AM
I've been brushing at least twice daily (scalp only, and my hair is not generally tangly, anyway) since I read this thread - and it has really helped to control my shedding!! Between this and changing to cool water when I wash my hair, I have really diminished the amount of hairs I shed daily! We'll see in the long term how this does for the baby hairs I always have at my temples!

redneckprincess
November 28th, 2009, 03:35 PM
i believe that the amount of my time spent brushing my hair and massaging my scalp is rewarded with faster growth speed...besides cant harm any and feels good so why not...give it a try ☺

Fractalsofhair
November 28th, 2009, 05:57 PM
My dad would brush my hair a lot when I was younger, and it grew very fast.(I got 3 inches taken off every 6 months, and my hair grew to my thighs from about shoulder length in a few years. As a result, it grew at an above average rate.) Of course, my hair grows very fast normally. I think the key issue with brushing is brushing on curly hair(frizz), and brushing while wet(damage).

I don't think there's much harm with using a brush on straight hair to distribute the oils down. It's the only way I can get them down when my hair hasn't been washed for a few days, or I want to apply almost any oil.

Priska
March 26th, 2024, 02:56 PM

Oh wow. Must start brushing my hair more often.

fairy_hair
March 27th, 2024, 07:06 AM
I brush morning and night with my denman wet brush, just to prevent tangles when making my day bun or my night french braid I've been doing lately. (Update, the damage I noticed when i had french braid to sleep before was due to BBB I was also using at the time, because now I have almost zero splits.) I don't brush very much, and I find when I do brush, even when I have tangles, I hardly shed at all. I won't be changing my brush routine because I think this is working well for me currently!

Christi May
April 16th, 2024, 10:11 PM
Okay. I stopped using my BBB because it didn't agree with my lengths, but I might have to try some of the tricks on this thread.