PDA

View Full Version : Binder for Indigo?

Barb
January 28th, 2010, 09:09 AM
I've been wondering what I could mix with my indigo to make it adhere better to my head (and hair) without it just falling off.

So far I've tried mixing a little honey with it. It didn't totally suck but it wasn't great and I didn't get much indigo coverage.

Does anyone have any suggestions for making it stickier and for a more intense dye release? I'll pretty much try anything at this point.

Thanks!

GlennaGirl
January 28th, 2010, 10:40 AM
I've heard a pinch of salt can help it stick, but I haven't tried it yet because I've been afraid it would dry out my hair. If you're not worried about that, I'd say it's worth a shot.

RavennaNight
January 28th, 2010, 11:48 AM
I think salt makes it more colorfast on dye resistant hair. You mean stick as in dripping ickiness? Someone mentioned corn starch once but I don't know how much. :hmm: watching thread.

Barb
January 28th, 2010, 11:57 AM
I think salt makes it more colorfast on dye resistant hair. You mean stick as in dripping ickiness? Someone mentioned corn starch once but I don't know how much. :hmm: watching thread.

Yeah, definitely the dripping ickiness. I find indigo isn't "sticky" like regular hair color or like henna. If I put henna in my hair I might have some drips, but the whole shebang doesn't want to just fall out, you know what I mean? There's no viscosity, or glue-iness to it.

I also have some cheap-o maple syrup (Mrs. Butterworth's, I think) that I thought about trying.:eyebrows:

indigonight
January 28th, 2010, 02:47 PM
I find applying the indigo to wettish hair helps it to adhere and permeate the hair a bit better. I also use salt.

rach
January 28th, 2010, 03:21 PM
also came across somewhere here. think the hendigo thread ?
that acidic things can inhibit it and pinch of salt helps .
seemed to work on my friends hair which didn't hold hendigo mix colour.
2 step helped the hold.

serious
January 28th, 2010, 06:10 PM
I use cornstarch in my henndigo gloss, I can't tell you the exact amount, I just mix conditioner with henna and indigo and than add enough cornstarch to make the paste thicker and it really helps against dripping! I think it's approximately one cup conditioner and half cup cornstarch...

chickpea
January 31st, 2010, 10:08 AM
I use methylcellulose powder from Garden of Wisdom, to thicken up henna or indigo paste when I've made it too runny. I start with 1/2 teaspoon, wait a few minutes for the mixture to thicken, and then add more if needed.