PDA

View Full Version : How much biotin?

Alcenaia
January 22nd, 2010, 07:36 AM
Yesterday I purchased some biotin. There were two choices--large tablets with 1667% DV and small tablets with 333% DV (1mg). There's also 10% DV in my multivitamin. On the 333% bottle (the one I got), the directions say you can take anywhere from 1 to 5 a day.

So those of you that take biotin, how much do you take? :)

I found lots of informative threads on biotin, but none saying what the correct daily amount was. Apologies if this has already been discussed.

chaoticwaves
January 22nd, 2010, 08:05 AM
Hi Alcenaia,

I take the 1mg pills. I take 2 pills after breakfast, and 2 pills after eating later in the day. The bottle says to take 1 to 5 daily for adults. I also take Super B Complex (which has only 3.8mcg) and a multi vitamin. I was experiencing headaches at first, but I started with only a couple 1mg Biotin pills per day and slowly worked my way to 4. I no longer have the headaches. HTH!

redneckprincess
January 22nd, 2010, 10:50 AM
usually I take 10,000mcg per day, have for a year now

Alcenaia
January 22nd, 2010, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the responses!

Centelleo
January 22nd, 2010, 12:06 PM
I take one 333% DV supplement as my multi-vitamin has 10% DV of biotin. I'm wary of taking more than that and I try to supplement with whole foods that containt natural sources of biotin. From what I understand, vitamins, nutrients, and minerals are best absorbed through natural food sources over supplements.

Taken from WHF:
Excellent sources of biotin include chard, tomatoes, romaine lettuce, and carrots. Very good sources include almonds, chicken eggs, onions, cabbage, cucumber, and cauliflower. Good sources includes goat's milk, cow's milk, raspberries, strawberries, halibut, oats, and walnuts.

missjessiecakes
January 22nd, 2010, 12:18 PM
I take 5mg once a day before bed to avoid the headache but I dont really know if it is biotin that gives me the head aches or my BC which does give me migraines.

curlylocks85
January 22nd, 2010, 01:58 PM
The Biotin I have comes in white tablets, which contain 1000mcg. This was too much for my body and acne was the result. I cut down to half a tablet (500mcg) and I have not had a problem.

BTW, I take one-half tablet daily.

Forever_Sophie
January 22nd, 2010, 02:52 PM
I'm taking 5000mcg/day now (because of the pills I happened to buy, on sale :p ) but I generally get results with 2000mcg.

Tovah
January 22nd, 2010, 03:41 PM
I started taking 5mg (1667%) once a day a couple of weeks ago.
No headaches, no acne. Maybe my body really really needed it?

jera
January 22nd, 2010, 03:46 PM
I take three 1,000 mcg tabs a day. Can't wait to work my way up to 5mg. :D

Fayjoi
January 22nd, 2010, 03:51 PM
I take 5mg once a day for over 1 year already and I don't notice any extra growth. I just started with 5mg twice a day to see if it will make a difference.

akilina
January 22nd, 2010, 03:53 PM
I don't even remember how much I used to take...I do know though that i wish i could still take it. But it gave me terrible headaches and massive zits. it really did help with hair growth though, i believe. Down side was all my hair grew more :/

pinchbeck
January 22nd, 2010, 04:32 PM
Has anyone experienced skin itchiness? This is one of a few side effects. I have been taking 1mg for two weeks and decided to increase the dose to 2mg and the itchies appeared the next day.

kimki
January 22nd, 2010, 05:14 PM
I take 1000mcg and think I may stay at that amount as some of my other supplements contain Biotin.

JuneBride
September 26th, 2010, 07:17 PM
I am no good at remembering to take pills, altho biotin does work well for me when I remember to take it...Protein powder in shakes works much better and quicker!

McFearless
September 26th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Protein powder in shakes works much better and quicker!

I agree! I find people take way too much biotin.