PDA

View Full Version : Wow your hair's so long comment but....

jojo
January 15th, 2010, 09:10 AM
when are you going to cut :confused:

I had this comment on the nightshift last night off a short, fully bleached fellow nurse. I had taken my hair down when all the patients where asleep as I was getting a headache and try to put in a lower bun when she made the above comment. I said why would I want to cut it? she replied its much easier my length, so I just said what 1" hair which you have to have the roots done every week or so, you have to style your hair into spikes every morning and thats easy is it? do you know my routine, comb, twist and up it goes, yeah but I bet you use a load of shampoo she replied!

Why do people assume that long hair is hard work when it isn't and how does a long haired person use more shampoo:confused:? I dilute mine and a bottle last ages!

It really pissed me off, like why say wow! and then follow by a negative, i am much too nice wish id have said what i really thought of her hair it was totally out of condition, rock hard off products, bleached within a minute of its life and made her look like a toilet brush. dont get me wrong id rather have healthy short hair that frazzled unkept long hair and i am not knocking anybody with short hair but I just wish some people would keep the big fellow out and concentrate on their own hair instead of being so picky about mine, I feel like growing it to ankle now just to really piss her off!!!!!:D
sorry for the rant but i so needed too!!!

Mutinous
January 15th, 2010, 09:15 AM
I get this all the time, it is frustrating! My flatmate always says long hair is too much work for him as he blowdries/straightens/gels and then re-straightens his hair.

She is probably just jealous of your extremely enviable hair! I wouldn't take it personally :)

Meaghan
January 15th, 2010, 09:16 AM
I think that people think those with long hair use more shampoo because they think that regardless of the length of hair, you'll shampoo all of it like they do, then condition all of it. They don't realize that you can do other things with it. I was under the same impression before I came here.

Alcenaia
January 15th, 2010, 09:19 AM
I'm sorry you had that irritating conversation. I can totally relate to this rant, so thanks for posting.

Length doesn't correlate exactly to how much care hair takes...people can be silly.

Carolyn
January 15th, 2010, 09:20 AM
I've found that people who have never had long hair don't understand it. They make assumptions that it must take a lot of work to care for and style. They've never heard of diluting shampoo. They don't realize how quick and easy our sometimes complicated looking updo's can be. They assume we wash every day, blow dry and use tons of product. Miss Toilet Brush Head should have stopped with the "wow your hair's so long" and left off the "when are you going to cut it" part. I'm glad you stood up for yourself and talked back to her.

myrrhmaiden
January 15th, 2010, 09:28 AM
"...looks like a toilet brush!" hahahahhahah! That is the part you should remember most about this exchange. She is just another in a long line of beautiful hair envy-ists. The nastier they are, the more you know you're doing the right things. ;)

jojo
January 15th, 2010, 09:37 AM
ha ha! so true people are silly they must think all we do is wash our hair! I actually wash my hair much less when long than i ever did short, bed hair on short hair needs controlling more whereas long bed hair is just a matter of quick comb and up!

She is always sarcastic about stuff, normally it just goes woosh over my head, but i was tired as id done 7 12 hour nights and was feeling a little sensitive!!

spidermom
January 15th, 2010, 09:56 AM
For some people, getting a hair cut is on the must-do list: brush teeth, wash face, use deodorant, and schedule a hair cut. I think they come to see it as a matter of hygiene. I used to be a member of a cult that sells cosmetics and was at a training session. At the time I wasn't tweezing my brows because I'd over-tweezed so was growing in to start over. The "beauty consultant" conducting the training pulled me out of the crowd to demonstrate how brows should be kept, and said it was good hygiene to maintain them. It was humiliating sitting there while she implied that not tweezing my brows was somehow unclean. People! Sometimes I'm ashamed to be one.

JamieLeigh
January 15th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Do it!! Do it!! Grow to ankle!! :D :D :D

Yeah, it would blow people's minds (I know it blew mine when I got here!!) to know that shampoo isn't the only way to go, and that you don't HAVE to kill your hair with product to achieve lovely hair. :rolleyes: Good on you for keeping your mouth shut and trying to make your workplace a nice place to be for everyone - I'm not sure I could have done it myself. :o

Spidermom - oh my goodness, that sounds horrible (the tweezing). It's sad when people have to resort to humiliation and degradation of others to sell their products or services. To me, that would scream out that her stuff isn't good enough to stand on its own. ;)

Torrin Paige
January 15th, 2010, 10:25 AM
jojo, I've gotten that comment more often than I care to remember. I think Carolyn's totally right: people who have never had long hair just have no idea how easy it is to maintain. I went short some years ago because I could "do nothing with it" and boy howdy, short hair is a total pain in the patoot. I had to work so hard to just make it look decent, let alone nice. It couldn't grow fast enough. I keep getting comments on my YT page from people telling me how gorgeous my hair is, and then telling me how much better it would look short. You'd think having heard it so many times, I would be used to it, and yet? I am still so confused. :o) I quite enjoyed your rant. I go on those myself, sometimes.

piratejenny23
January 15th, 2010, 10:27 AM
people are often ignorant, not necessarily jealous. for some reason this reminded me of my choice to breastfeed...everyone who was in favor of bottlefeeding said it was because breastfeeding was too complicated and bottlefeeding was so simple. what??? all i had to do was lift up my shirt and feed my baby. no going to the store, no sterilizing bottles, no mixing & warming formula, no going to the kitchen in the middle of the night, no dealing with colic and spit-up stains. eventually instead of arguing with or trying to convince such a person, i would say "it's working out great for us" or something like that, and either change the subject or turn away.

also, when i had my nose pierced circa 1990 (before piercings, at least where i lived, became more commonplace) people would ask me all the time "how do you blow your nose"?

it's very tempting to point out when people are being rude and believe me, sometimes i do so i'm not reprimanding anyone, but i do try to remember that pointing out someone's lack of etiquette to them is a lack of etiquette itself! more often i try to say "i'm not comfortable discussing this right now/with you" especially at work where i don't want to lose my temper and get fired or have my coworkers hate me!

or, if someone asks whether my hair is a lot of trouble, rather than try to convince them that it's less hassle than their routine, i'd say "i love having long hair and it's worth all the trouble to me." if someone is very persistent i will forget Miss Manners and say, "your questions are getting very personal and i'm getting upset. let's talk about something else." if i brought up the subject, i will preface that by saying "i'm sorry i brought up the topic, but..." i think it was Ann Landers who always said that you're perfectly within your rights to let someone know when they're imposing upon you, and if you do get imposed upon, it's because you let it happen.

it's different when someone wants to learn something from you and they just word it clumsily, but when someone criticizes you for no reason it's usually useless to try to explain yourself. they'll pick on something else in your answer and you will waste a lot of energy feeling angry.

i love your hair, jojo! i hope this coworker doesn't bother you too much in the future. :flowers:

littlemoon
January 15th, 2010, 10:46 AM
I have always been told by my mother not to have long hair. she said its too much work, such a hassle, and that it looks boring! (this coming from a woman who had waist length hair for fifteen years) I think long hair is anything but boring- with all the updos and styles you can do to it. sure, your coworkers hair is probably considered more 'interesting', but she probably doesn't have a wide range of styles she can do with it. and I'm sure you, jojo, would have the kindness never to tell her to GROW her hair out for this reason!

as for hassle, to me hair is hair. taking good care of your hair at 1 inch involves many if not most of the things keeping long hair healthy does. more product doesn't mean more work.

Culdayne
January 15th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Jojo: your hair is looking wonderful! :D

People are so crazy. Short hair is not easier, IMO. I am growing out again, and longer hair was sooo much easier. My husband was my biggest supporter of having long hair and he noticed how much more I have to mess with it.

Then the garbage about how it makes one look younger. I have been mistaken as younger my whole life. I worried that getting my hair cut would make me look even younger. So I get the cut and my husband commented on how I look more 'mature'. Okay...I kind of liked that. Then my older daughter said, "mom, why did you cut your hair? Now you just look like every other soccer mom" :mad:
Apparently, shorter hair brings me closer to 'looking my age'?

I'm growing it out again! I will be a 90 year old lady with long hair!!:cheese:

Kirzja
January 15th, 2010, 11:11 AM
The longer your hair, the more comments you get, both positive and negative.
Maybe she's jealous, maybe she's ignorant. Who cares. You have great hair.
Short hair is not easier than long hair.

Previously, I got my hair dyed and cut a lot (every 2 months at least) and I had lots of trouble turning my out-of-bed-look into something reasonable, each morning.
Because my hair was so short, gravity wasn't pulling it down and my cowlicks and whirls were hard to tame ;)
Over the past 3 years, I have not put much effort into haircare. Just a bit of washing and brushing now and then. It looks so much better and my hair has become a lot thicker.
So if you want easy hair, grow it out ;)

Spike
January 15th, 2010, 11:17 AM
I feel like growing it to ankle now just to really piss her off!!!!!:D

Oh, Jojo, this had me rolling on the floor! Hairgrowth as a tool of vengeance!

Take that, as I unleash my Follicles of Steely Doooooooom!!!!

(I've been reading way too much gaslamp fiction lately, can you tell?)

Seriously, you are not here to decorate her world. She has her view of what hair should be, and you have yours. Consider the source (which it sounds like you have) and keep rolling however pleases you. :)

CrisDee
January 15th, 2010, 11:19 AM
... I have been mistaken as younger my whole life. I worried that getting my hair cut would make me look even younger. So I get the cut and my husband commented on how I look more 'mature'. Okay...I kind of liked that. Then my older daughter said, "mom, why did you cut your hair? Now you just look like every other soccer mom" :mad:
Apparently, shorter hair brings me closer to 'looking my age'?...

I have noticed the same thing! I was always mistaken for much younger when my hair was long - people would look at me like I had two heads when I mentioned having five grandchildren. Now they don't bat an eye.

There really does seem to be a bit of long-hair prejudice these days, I think it's a combination of everything everyone's mentioned, from jealousy to "hygiene." Strange, in these days of instant information, that some people cling so tenaciously to preconceived notions... :)

Harriet
January 15th, 2010, 01:25 PM
she's 100% jealous i'd say. they dont understand long hair because they mistreat theirs so much that it never gets any longer.

LaurelSpring
January 15th, 2010, 01:34 PM
My response to that question has become.... maybe some day, but not today. That usually shuts people up pretty good without causing too much drama. :eyebrows:

SHELIAANN1969
January 15th, 2010, 01:37 PM
:rollin: at...quote (and made her look like a toilet brush)....endquote omg!

Some folks make zero sense. That's the only thing I can think of.

Islandgrrl
January 15th, 2010, 01:58 PM
The toilet brush comment...oh the visual that one conjured up for me. :)

I got the "you must go through a lot of shampoo!" comment a couple weeks ago. My response? "Shampoo?" with a confused look on my face... "Why would I use shampoo?" I do actually use shampoo, diluted and scalp only, but it was fun to jerk her chain a little bit. :stirpot: What can I say, sometimes I like to be bad.

Jeni
January 15th, 2010, 02:23 PM
1st- jojo your hair looks fantastic!

2nd- Im going to agree wit the people saying that to someone who has never had long hair its hard to understand that long hair does not (necessarily) mean more work. If "you" have had short hair you whole life and are use to getting up everyday and s/c, blow drying/straightening/curling/styling your hair you will probably look at long hair and just envision doing the same thing. In that case yes having longer hair would be more work. I think most people don't realize that the majority of us just wash our hair and put it up, we get to bypass all the other "hair styling" that shorter haired people tend to do.

I understand why people think you go through more shampoo. Before I came here I thought you had to shampoo all your hair and had never heard of diluting it. I have had people comment on how much shampoo I must go through. I usually laugh and say since I only wash my scalp with shampoo and it doesn't change size I use the same amount no matter how long or short my hair is. I do own up to the face that I go through a lot more conditioner now then when my hair is shorter.

Alexannee10
January 15th, 2010, 02:49 PM
I've found that people who have never had long hair don't understand it. They make assumptions that it must take a lot of work to care for and style. They've never heard of diluting shampoo. They don't realize how quick and easy our sometimes complicated looking updo's can be. They assume we wash every day, blow dry and use tons of product.

+1 ! Totally agree!