PDA

View Full Version : Question for a friend about henna gloss...

squidgetroo
January 14th, 2010, 08:18 AM
Hi, all! I am hoping to get some help for friend who wants to do a henna gloss, as I've never done one (I just use straight henna and our hair is very different) and I don't want to do something to mess her hair up...

She currently has waist-length, 1a/M/iii hair that is an absolutely gorgeous natural strawberry blonde (MAJOR hair envy on my part :D ). The closest idea I can give you on color is that its like Mona's after pic or Illy's pic on the mixes page on the H4H site. She wants to brighten up the color just a bit because its started to fade over time, but doesn't want it drastically brighter or darker, so I thought a gloss might work well. I have some frozen Punjabi Prime in my freezer that she can use, but I need to know how much to use, given her hair length/thickness and that she doesn't want a huge change in color. I've read everything from a teaspoon to a tablespoon or more. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, would it be best to use a cheap no-cone conditioner like Suave Naturals? Thanks!

girloctopus
January 14th, 2010, 08:53 AM
Firstly, since she does not want a large color change, I strongly recommend that you do lots of strand testing, given henna's permance.

Starting with a teaspoon per cup would probably be best, working up until the desired color has been achieved. I have iii hair as well, and I use around a cup and a half to two full cups to fully saturate my dry hair with my conditioner/cassia mix, at a ratio of 3 tbsp per cup conditioner. It is always better to mix a little too much than not enough.

I've used Suave Naturals without any problems. I bounce between the suave and v05 usually.

Hope this helps! :)

RocketDog
January 14th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Definitely start out light on the henna, with a short time on the head... and strand test of course. Perhaps starting with a teaspoon per cup, left on for an hour?

squidgetroo
January 14th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Thank you! I'll have to ask her if she has enough shed hair to do a strand test...she's not one who really spends a lot of time on her hair, so we'll probably have to raid her hairbrush.

Once we figure out the amount and time, should we do the gloss on dry hair or damp?

Isilme
January 14th, 2010, 05:45 PM
dry or damp hair is just a matter of what works best for her. I always do anything on dry hair because anything on damp hair will just drip the whole time.

girloctopus
January 14th, 2010, 09:46 PM
I do mine on dry hair because it lets me see better where I may have missed coverage (very important with iii hair!)