PDA

View Full Version : Is it bad to wet your hair everyday? (especially in winter)

lol21
January 6th, 2010, 04:37 PM
I am very curious to know, because I do everyday including the days I dont condition or shampoo it.

I have to because when I wake up my hair is a wavy mess.

But I was told that wetting my hair is bad in the long run, and not only that but that wetting my hair everyday in cold water and letting it air dry

will get me sick and I will get sinusitis. Or a cold.

can someone tell me if its good or bad.

I would much appreciate it. I am new and look forward to posting more questions and helping in what I can.

SunshineHair
January 6th, 2010, 04:53 PM
I really do not buy that getting sick because your hair is wet. I do find it uncomfortable! But germs cause sickness not wet hair. If I am wrong though let me know!!

As for the rest of your question, I would also like to know!!!!

lol21
January 6th, 2010, 05:01 PM
I really do not buy that getting sick because your hair is wet. I do find it uncomfortable! But germs cause sickness not wet hair. If I am wrong though let me know!!

As for the rest of your question, I would also like to know!!!!

hmm cool thanks, anyone else?

SlightlySoprano
January 6th, 2010, 05:32 PM
well the whole wet hair will make you sick thing is not toooo far off. Having wet hair outside in the cold drops your core body temperature pretty significantly. When your body is working so hard to try to stay warm, its using less of its energy to fight germs. THUS! If you are cold, your immune system is lower. Make sense?

lol21
January 6th, 2010, 07:10 PM
well the whole wet hair will make you sick thing is not toooo far off. Having wet hair outside in the cold drops your core body temperature pretty significantly. When your body is working so hard to try to stay warm, its using less of its energy to fight germs. THUS! If you are cold, your immune system is lower. Make sense?

what if you do it indoors, the air drying and make sure when you leave the house you have your hair dry.

will that save you from getting a cold or sinusitis.

Longlocks3
January 6th, 2010, 07:35 PM
I don't think that having wet hair will cause your body to work that hard to keep warm. Contrary to the popular belief, you don't lose any more heat out of your head than you do the rest of your body when you compare the rate of heat loss to other parts of the body(nude areas that is). Of course, your head just tends to be bare more often than the rest of your body.

I don't think that you will get sick. Like Sunshinehair previously wrote, germs cause sickness not wet hair.

violeteyes
January 6th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Well, I have heard that it is not too good for your hair because it strips natural oils, but as long as your hair is reasonably dry or damp, it shouldn't make you sick.

Lady Jo
January 7th, 2010, 12:49 AM
Maybe it will make you sick if you're not taking a bath and just wetting your hair.

jennydaesy
January 7th, 2010, 04:18 AM
I wash 2-3 times a week.. Its time consuming to dry my hair after a wash else I would wash even more frequently.

Othala
January 7th, 2010, 04:29 AM
Wetting you hair with water weakens it temporarily. Repeated wetting and drying, for example daily or more, may cause you hair to be weaker in the long run. I would advise you to wet it maybe thrice a week at most.

bttrfly857
January 7th, 2010, 05:37 AM
I (and many people here) wash everyday. I usually use my shampoo bar everyday, some days I just condition.

Just be careful with your hair while it's wet (and while it's dry for that matter!) to avoid breakage.

And colds, etc. are caused by viruses/bacteria. I've heard a few people say that wet hair can lower your immune system, but I'd say if your really worried about it just be sure to take some vitamins.

julliams
January 7th, 2010, 05:42 AM
Have you tried spritzing with water and scrunching? You don't have to totally wet the hair with this method and it dries really fast. I find that my hair can look even more curly the second day with this method.

emi77
January 7th, 2010, 07:14 AM
You could also find a protective style, comfortable enough to wear to bed.

I do an English plait- others do a high bun etc.. Or you could wear a scarf over your hair or a silk bonnet.

Anje
January 7th, 2010, 07:35 AM
I seriously doubt wetting your hair will make you more likely to catch a cold, etc. The only reason that would really happen is if it weakened your immune system significantly, which I suppose could happen if you're getting regularly chilled by the practice. Of course, you might get chilled more by daily showering, too. Perhaps it's best to simply not bathe at all in the winter. (!)

Hair is weaker when it's wet, so you should be more careful with it then. I don't know that regular wetting will result in weaker hair, because some people need to wet it more for sufficient moisture. Dried out hair is also unhealthy.

Lots of folks wet their hair daily even here on the forum, though many prefer to skip it because it takes too long to dry and doesn't seem worth-while. Why not just comb your hair and put it up some days, rather than wear it down? Then it doesn't matter if the waves are messy.

James in Ohio
January 7th, 2010, 07:49 AM
My mother used to tell me about when she was in grade school her and her sister would have a bath and wash their hair and then walk to school and there would be ice hanging from their hair. She said they never got a cold from it. I have always washed my hair and left the house with it wet also. Sometimes if it's very cold I'll just shower earlier so my hair is not so wet.

enfys
January 7th, 2010, 09:53 AM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=39905

You might find some more opinions in this thread, but medically it shouldn't do you any harm.

As for your hair, that really varies from person to person. I wear my hair up every day so how it looks doesn't matter. Some people use water every day to tame frizz. It's totally up to you.

ladycatpurrs
January 7th, 2010, 10:13 AM
I live in a house that is very dry and I use my mister bottle (oil and water or condish and water) every day. I wet it to the point of saturation and then, without combing, just put it into a bun. My hair is looking great nowadays since I have started using it so wet is good for me. And I have never gotten sick from being damp and outside.

Honey39
January 7th, 2010, 10:29 AM
I CO-wash my hair every day, it's between BSL and waist and very thick. I think it's perfectly okay to do that, my hair thrives on being washed and then conditioned/oiled. So no, I don't think it's "bad" for your hair, but many people don't want soaking wet hair to deal with. It doesn't really bother me, and although we've got minus 9 temperatures, I'm still doing it (but am wearing a woolly hat over my wet hair!). I usually leave with damp hair, rather than soaking wet.

I think it all depends on what your hair is like, and what your preference is. From a personal point of view, I don't want to stretch my hair washes. I like my hair being down and freshly washed every day, but YMMV! :)

bumblebums
January 7th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Wait, you say your hair is a wavy mess when you wake up. You actually find that wetting it makes the waves go away? Or do you blow-dry it?

justme
January 9th, 2010, 11:16 AM
My hair loves water as long as I don't comb and pull too much while it's wet. It'd probably look great and be very healthy if I wet every day, but it's too much of a pain.

If wetting every day works for you, great!

I will second the people who say try a spray bottle of water if you don't want to wet it completely. This can help with moisture levels, especially if you add a little oil or conditioner in the spray (just not too much!). It takes less time, both to do and to dry, than wetting completely.

anneisanne
January 9th, 2010, 02:45 PM
I too would recommend a spray bottle. It makes it look like you've just washed it, but it will dry more quickly.

SlightlySoprano
January 9th, 2010, 11:04 PM
I've been out in the cold with wet hair before, and despite being uncomfortable and cold, I really never got sick, but I understand why it's possible. I just let it air dry indoors as much as I possibly can before going out. Spray bottles are my best friends :)

lol21
January 9th, 2010, 11:13 PM
Wait, you say your hair is a wavy mess when you wake up. You actually find that wetting it makes the waves go away? Or do you blow-dry it?

the waves never go away nor do I want them to, but it tames them,