PDA

View Full Version : Henna mix turning unnaturally blue??

hennaphile
December 14th, 2009, 03:44 AM
I just mixed up a batch of uttam henna that i got at the local indian store (for about $1.70 USD) for my hendigo. It said it only had henna in the ingredients, so I figured it'd be ok. Well, after 12 hours mixed with lemon and orange juice, it's starting to look more like an indigo mix... it's a very blue green, not that earthy brown green henna gets.

Also, the dye release sucks as evidenced by the ease of rinsing my hands after putting it in the freezer. With the Indian henna, if I practically even looked at it I had a brown stain on my hands for four days :p

Is this a sign that it's impure? I'm going to hendigo with it, so will I end up with black hair?

Thanks!

Gothic Lolita
December 14th, 2009, 05:42 AM
If you're unsure, don't put it on your hair. You could gather shed hair to make a strand test. I don't know about impurity. I also use Indian henna I purchase locally and it stains like hell, doesn't even have a dye-releasing time. But I know the man of whom I buy it and he has sworn that it is pure.

Madame J
December 14th, 2009, 06:00 AM
Could it be poor-quality henna with green dye added to make the powder look better? I think this is mentioned on Mehandi as a way dishonest henna sellers try to move inferior product. I would also recommend strand-testing, without letting it touch your skin, and then maybe doing a test to check for metallic compounds after you dye the strand.

If it is just an indigo-henna mix, the indigo would demise after 12 hours.

Nightshade
December 14th, 2009, 07:27 AM
I'd be concerned too.

I also remember once Catherine had indigo in henna bags and it caused quite a mix-up. Please be careful and strand test!

hennaphile
December 14th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Thanks guys.

The reason I'm not using the leftovers of my indian henna is because i put amla with it, and i don't like the cool tone it gives my hair when darker, i look washed out.

Does amla demise after a certain amount of time, especially freezing?

Can you mix cassia and indigo ? :eyebrows: