PDA

View Full Version : Curly Hair Gene Discovered.

Mely
December 8th, 2009, 09:04 PM
<H1>
<H1>'Curly hair gene' discovered by scientists

A 'curly hair gene' has been discovered by scientists, paving the way for a pill that could perform the same function as hair straighteners.

Published: 10:29AM GMT 07 Dec 2009

The discovery will also make it possible to predict whether a baby will have straight or curly hair.
And the new information will also allow detectives to use DNA to produce more accurate efits of their suspects.

The groundbreaking research identified the trichohyalin gene as the one that is mainly responsible for creating curls.
Although is was already known to play some role in the development of the hair follicle, scientists at the Queensland Institute of Medical Research (QIMR) have now found its role in curliness.
Professor Nick Martin, head of the QIMR Genetic Epidemiology Laboratory and author of the research, says it is variation in this gene that determines straightness or curliness of hair.
Prof Martin and colleague Dr Sarah Medland sought to find genetic variations responsible for curly hair in those of European descent.
Research suggests that 45 per cent of European people have straight hair, 40 per cent have wavy hair and 15 per cent have curly hair.
Studies also show that the chances of inheriting curly hair is around 90 per cent.
Researchers at the QIMR laboratory analysed data collected from a study of 5000 twins in Australia over a 30 year period.
Prof Martin, who has curly hair himself inherited from his mother's side of the family, said: "We studied large amounts of information on a diverse range of traits."
Comparing maps of the twins' genomes showed the same sorts of variations in the trichohyalin gene among those with curly hair and again among those with straight hair.
Prof Martin added: "This gene has been known for well over twenty years as being involved in hair production and it's a gene that sits in the sheath that's around hair roots."
It is thought that a variation in this gene may create an amino acid change which in turn influences the straightness or curliness of the hair.
Prof Martin reveals that it may now be possible to come up with treatments to make hair straighter as an alternative to heated hair-straighteners.
He said: "Potentially we can now develop new treatments to make hair curlier or straighter, rather than treating the hair directly.
"That is one angle we will be working on and which I will be discussing with a major cosmetic company in Paris in January.
"Also, we could certainly predict whether it was more probable that a baby would have curly or straight hair. We plan to keep working on this to improve the prediction.
"The most immediate application is likely to be in forensics.
"We might be able to refine identikit pictures from DNA samples left at a crime scene to say whether the suspect had straight or curly hair.
"We can already predict their hair and eye and skin colour, so this would be another trait to refine the picture."
The study appears in the latest edition of the American Journal of Human Genetics .
</H1>
</H1>

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/6751910/Curly-hair-gene-discovered-by-scientists.html

clairenewcastle
December 8th, 2009, 09:09 PM
I'm afraid I seem to be missing that gene.....however, I can't see myself taking a pill to change my hair type. :confused:
Very interesting article though. :toast:

MandaMom2Three
December 8th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Would this pill be permanent or temporary I wonder? THAT is neat!

talecon
December 8th, 2009, 09:19 PM
kool 90&#37; hopefully my daughter will have curly hair. right now its straight :P

Cat Lady
December 8th, 2009, 09:24 PM
90%?

Does that mean a 90% chance if one parent has curls? Or 90% if both have curls?

I hope it's 90% if one has curls, because if I ever have babies I want them to have my husband's gorgeous ringlets!

GlassEyes
December 9th, 2009, 02:15 AM
And so, the predicted genetic experimentation on humans is coming.

Call me when they start giving out X-gene pills. :p

rumi
December 9th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Call me when they start giving out X-gene pills. :p

YEAH! Me too :D

Merewen
December 9th, 2009, 06:57 AM
What, I can't take a pill to make my hair curlier? I think I'd actually rather do that.

SpinDance
December 9th, 2009, 07:14 AM
Very interesting, but I'm with the ones who won't be taking any such pill! I'm still learning to deal with what I've got.

talecon, you might not know whether your daughter will have curly hair until puberty. One of my friends hair changed drastically at puberty, going from straight to very curly growth almost overnight.

Clarisse
December 9th, 2009, 07:20 AM
I wouldn't mind taking a pill and turn my wavy locks into ringlets ;)
Perhaps they could find the gene that determines thickness too? And make a thickness-pill? I'd like that :P

mira-chan
December 9th, 2009, 07:25 AM
I'd be worried about that pill. While they say "the gene sits at the base of the hair shaft" it is actually in every cell of the body, it's just more active at the hair shaft. It might be doing other things in the body and any pill that inhibits it may cause severe damage elsewhere. All the body cells have the same DNA, so no gene sits in one spot. Genes are activated or deactivated according to location but they are still there.

Pierre
December 9th, 2009, 07:40 AM
How many alleles of the gene are there? Does kinky hair also result from this gene?

florenonite
December 9th, 2009, 07:48 AM
45 per cent of European people have straight hair, 40 per cent have wavy hair and 15 per cent have curly hair.

I'm a bit sceptical about whence they got this information. IME few people have naturally straight hair, but more likely it's wavy and they think it's "frizzy". I suspect that they would have gotten this information via survey and people who really have wavy hair reported as straight, and those who genetically are curlies reported as wavy.

90%?

Does that mean a 90% chance if one parent has curls? Or 90% if both have curls?

I hope it's 90% if one has curls, because if I ever have babies I want them to have my husband's gorgeous ringlets!

I doubt it's 90% if one has curls. My Mum's hair's at least 2c, though I suspect curlier (only since pregnancy, though; previously it was about 1c), and Dad's is at least 2b (though it hasn't been long enough to tell since the 70s). Of their four children, one's a curly, two are borderline straivies, and the other's a straighty.

What, I can't take a pill to make my hair curlier? I think I'd actually rather do that.

Me too!

Altocumulus
December 9th, 2009, 07:53 AM
So would that imply that those of us with curly, wavy and straight textures all on the same head have varying expression of this gene? Or some other factor mediating the phenotype?

I too would hesitate to take such a pill...seems ill advised to be messing with my genes just to change my hair texture!

As for the 90&#37;...if that's true, than both of my straight-haired children are rarities.

mira-chan
December 9th, 2009, 08:00 AM
So would that imply that those of us with curly, wavy and straight textures all on the same head have varying expression of this gene? Or some other factor mediating the phenotype?

I too would hesitate to take such a pill...seems ill advised to be messing with my genes just to change my hair texture!

As for the 90%...if that's true, than both of my straight-haired children are rarities.
If it is one gene, then yes it would be the regulation of expression that results in the various levels of curliness. There are also multiple alleles very likely, which is something the article didn't mention. Will that pill shut off all alleles? How does it target to such small genetic changes as in alleles? Is this a regulatory gene controlling another gene that has the curly allele? There are a lot of things that could be going on in here. It could be regulating hair growth not just texture, thus the pill could cause baldness.

rhubarbarin
December 9th, 2009, 08:09 AM
Very interesting, but I'm with the ones who won't be taking any such pill! I'm still learning to deal with what I've got.

talecon, you might not know whether your daughter will have curly hair until puberty. One of my friends hair changed drastically at puberty, going from straight to very curly growth almost overnight.

This is very common. My sister and I had curls until we were three, some waves as children, then I went curly at about 13 - she didn't until she was nearly 15.

My mom, her sisters, and their mother all have very straight hair, but my grandfather has 3b hair. I've always thought ow curls are inherited is kind of mysterious.

GlassEyes
December 9th, 2009, 08:13 AM
How many alleles of the gene are there? Does kinky hair also result from this gene?

If you're talking about hair on one's head, and not in other areas, I would assume so. Kinky hair is, after all, still hair--that much should be obvious.

MandaMom2Three
December 9th, 2009, 08:26 AM
LOL Now I'm imagining taking this pill and watching all my arm hair turn curly ROTFLOL

rchorr
December 9th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Ok, there are LOTS of pills in the world. My question is, would a pill be more or less damaging to your hair (and body) than a perm? Hmm.

My hair used to be straight to wavy (depending on the humidity). When I got pregnant, my hair became curly. I'm not sure messing with hormones is such a good idea. :/

Thanks for sharing this article. It's definitely food for thought.

RCHORR'

Babyfine
December 9th, 2009, 09:57 AM
I'm not going to take anything that messes with my hormones. I'm sure there will be side effects-maybe not discovered until years after people have been taking the pill.

My son has curlier hair than both my husband and I, but there are curls on my mom's side of the family, and there must be on dh's, too. hence we both passed the curly gene down to my ds. mY other ds has fine, 1c type hair.

kmangus
December 9th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Hmm...sounds almost to good to be true...but i wouldnt take that pill...i bet it has some wicked side effects! :)

Spike
December 9th, 2009, 10:33 AM
I wouldn't mind taking a pill and turn my wavy locks into ringlets ;)
Perhaps they could find the gene that determines thickness too? And make a thickness-pill? I'd like that :P

ooooooh :bigeyes: Second that thickness pill. I might (but only might) agree that my hair was too thick if I couldn't hold it all in one hand. Makes bunning harder.

Roseate
December 9th, 2009, 11:11 AM
In my family the curls have been passed down in neat stairsteps- Grandmother 3c, mom 3a, me 2c. All the dads involved were 1's. I need to get some more curl back in the family, better be on the lookout for a curly!

Cherry_Sprinkle
December 9th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Call me when they get the thick hair gene pills.... :)

squiggyflop
December 9th, 2009, 12:08 PM
hmmm interesting.. i might consider taking a pill to make my hair straight.. mom has very wavy hair.. brother has curly red poof hair.. dad has super straight hair.. mom's and my hair curls when we cut our hair short.. my hair progresses from curly when very short to SUPER wavy when shoulder length to straight on top with streched spirals on the bottom when long..
hmm perhaps i have the curly hair gene.. since my waves arent waves but actually stretched spirals.. moms are too.. hmmm its something to think about

aaperez
December 9th, 2009, 12:45 PM
I would love curly hair ^_^ I love the way it looks so does my DBF to bad neater of us have it :(

paintedmuse
December 9th, 2009, 12:59 PM
In case that pill is invented I would be tempted to take it for curls. Oh yes. But then again it would probably have some horrid side-effects which would only be officially dicovered after a decade of selling the product. :D

Arriens
December 10th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Can I pre order the 'straight hair pill'? :eyebrows: