PDA

View Full Version : hair dye over henna?

hennared
December 7th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Not for myself, but I have a question - is it possible to deposit darker red 'box dye' over freshly hennaed hair? As in, henna not red enough, wanting more red? I know I've seen postings the other way 'round - asking if it's possible to henna over dyed hair, but I don't think I've seen postings about dyeing over hennaed hair? Anyone know?

thanks,
Hennared, henna head since 1989 (!)

halo_tightens
December 7th, 2009, 02:38 PM
If the hair has previously been hennaed ONLY with pure, BAQ henna, with no additives, then it's safe. If there's any possibility that compound henna or henna of questionable origin has been used in the past, then there could be unwanted reactions. :)

girloctopus
December 7th, 2009, 03:37 PM
There is a test you can do to check if any metallic salts on your hair will react with the synthetic activator in commercial hair color. If I remember correctly, it's outlined in the how to .pdf available on hennaforhair.com. You basically mix ammonia and peroxide together(not household! It's specific volumes, but I can't recall off the top of my head) and dunk a hair sample from your hairbrush into it and look for reactions. If none, then you're good to go! Hope this helps :)

Cat Lady
December 7th, 2009, 03:53 PM
My experience with red (permanent) hair dye over BAQ henna, after 3 hennas, is that went the most wonderful pure deep cool red. Then I washed it once, with sulphate free shampoo and it ALL washed out. It was like I hadn't even used it.

I really don't recommend permanent chemical hair dye over several layers of BAQ henna. I have no idea if semipermanent or temporary colours would hold better - but they couldn't possibly hold worse!

(I was trying to darken up my old bleached ends to match my dark roots which look lovely with henna on them. Luckily for me I just used henna with amla and it fixed my uneven-ness)

burns_erin
December 7th, 2009, 03:57 PM
My best luck doing this was with Loreal color pulse mouuse.

Good luck to you with this,

MakeLoveNotWar
December 7th, 2009, 05:09 PM
This is definitely something I am curious about too! I want to use henna but I'm not sure it would give me that really bright red I want since my hair is a dark brown.

RocketDog
December 8th, 2009, 09:39 AM
I have never tried using boxed dye in conjunction with henna, but I have used several different brands and shades of red dye and experienced a lot of fading/wash-out with every single one. They look amazing the day they're done, but after a few washes the color goes flat and murky.

I did do a swatch-test using a wash-out cherry red dye with henna and didn't see any color difference at all, and I did toss around the idea of using the wash-out dye as a 'rinse' for an extra pop of hawaiian-punch-red just for fun, but haven't done it yet...

ademtce
December 8th, 2009, 10:01 AM
if you can do the dye safely the odds are you hair is only going to look darker

MommaRalph
December 9th, 2009, 09:03 AM
My experience with red (permanent) hair dye over BAQ henna, after 3 hennas, is that went the most wonderful pure deep cool red. Then I washed it once, with sulphate free shampoo and it ALL washed out. It was like I hadn't even used it.

I really don't recommend permanent chemical hair dye over several layers of BAQ henna. I have no idea if semipermanent or temporary colours would hold better - but they couldn't possibly hold worse!

(I was trying to darken up my old bleached ends to match my dark roots which look lovely with henna on them. Luckily for me I just used henna with amla and it fixed my uneven-ness)

My experience was similar. I dyed over hair that had not been henna'd in a long time (months) and basically the dye just didn't "take". It was as if the hair was coated. The virgin hair at the roots were dyed but not previously henna'd hair.

Valerie

PS I did a strand test beforehand as well! The henna I had used was LUSH Caca Rouge.

ZaBasDa
December 9th, 2009, 01:21 PM
I haven't used a box dye red over henna, just box brown colors and they made my hair darker and browner with the predictable red shimmer. I have however used semipermanent colors such as Manic Panic and Special Effects in blues and reds and have made darker reds and purples over my henna'd hair. They lasted just as long on the henna as they would have otherwise.