PDA

View Full Version : dollar store finds... (Goody)

katana
November 24th, 2009, 02:48 PM
So before people cringe away -

I found a Goody Luxe hair pin (metal, two prong, approx 5 inches functional length), and a Goody 'so fresh' finishing brush that says it has boar bristles...

Er - anybody use these before? problems with them?

RoseRedDead
November 24th, 2009, 02:49 PM
I just want to see what the hair pin looks like!

katana
November 24th, 2009, 02:53 PM

http://goody.com/Products/Collections/Luxe/Luxe_Starburst/Luxe_Starburst.aspx

There's a link - I got the white-sparkling-stone one.

RoseRedDead
November 24th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Ooooh, very nice. Are the prongs sturdy?

katana
November 24th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Ooooh, very nice. Are the prongs sturdy?

They feel.. sort of trembly But - I tried to wedge them in after pulling out a Nightblooming hairstick from a Hypnobun - I don't think the hypno bun was the best way to try it, especially when trying to replace a stick for the bun. Also, I'm not sure how to use the prongs - I think I was supposed to squeeze them until they were set and then let go, and I'm used to sticks I just shove in - so basically - it's not *weak* but I'm not used to it enough to really evaluate it? I need to play with it some more. It seems fairly sturdy. Sort of worried I'm wrecking hairs as I push it in..

Yeah. ^^V There's a reason why I started a thread on this, so that some one will tell me if I'm doing something wrong...

Sherri
November 24th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Those are really cute. Which store did you find these at?

klcqtee
November 24th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Hm, I've never used those, but I do love my wooden comb by Goody. It's pretty nice, and I find their products generally of pretty good value. Definitely worth the price.

klcqtee
November 24th, 2009, 05:58 PM
<Removing double post>

Fiferstone
November 24th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Probably will be OK for decoration only, I'll bet they are super-bendy and won't hold worth beans if you're trying to actually pin a bun with them. That's been my experience with the bog-standard goody metal hairpins. I do much better with good days.

Gypsy
November 24th, 2009, 06:06 PM
I have a couple of those and yeah, decoration only, no holding strength.
Very sparkly still after several years.

katana
November 24th, 2009, 06:19 PM
My memory's not good and my use of the forum isn't that good, so - in some sort of order, but not attributed:

- Think the chain was Dollar King (I got it in NJ)

- there was only the one pin there - which, since it's not load bearing, it's a good thing I didn't get any more... So far, I haven't really gone for the sparkly; I'm enamoured of buns because I can actually get my hair up and stay up the entire day... (almost didn't get it because it was so sparkly...)

- ok, good (re: quality of Goody brushes). I sort of thought, after reading some stuff here, that I should get a boar bristle brush (can clean it by letting it soak in diluted shampoo, right?) but was too cheap and too lazy to get one earlier - but this was about 1.50, and it *said* it was boar bristle, so I went for it... everything else there was either the cheap seamed combs or the brushes with the knobby ends.

truwave
November 24th, 2009, 06:21 PM
I generally like goody products

katana
November 24th, 2009, 06:24 PM
I generally like goody products

^^ I never really looked for a boar bristle brush before - I was a bit concerned because it looked sort of plasticy, but, what do I know? All the other brushes I've had always had the knobby ends. The pin was sort of bought coz it was there, it was cheap, it was sort of what I've been looking for...

YoginiCelestial
November 24th, 2009, 06:25 PM
So before people cringe away -

I found a Goody Luxe hair pin (metal, two prong, approx 5 inches functional length), and a Goody 'so fresh' finishing brush that says it has boar bristles...

Er - anybody use these before? problems with them?

me too! me too! do show us?!:)

YoginiCelestial
November 24th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Shopping at the dollar stores for hair toys as Christmas gifts is a great idea!! :)

Gypsy
November 24th, 2009, 06:28 PM
me too! me too! do show us?!:)

Katana posted a link of what the pin looks like.