PDA

View Full Version : Which brand henna to darken hair?

Windblownhair
November 22nd, 2009, 01:38 PM
I bleached my hair blonde about 6 months ago. It was fun, but too high maintenance to keep up. So I switched back to henna a couple months later. I love how healthy it feels, but I haven't been able to darken all of my hair. The really blonde highlights are an orangy red, and the rest of my hair has darkened to a brown red. I'm wondering if there is a particular brand (maybe jamila or punjabi prime?) that will come out a darker red?

caribou55313
November 22nd, 2009, 01:43 PM
The deepest reds I've seen have come from Yemen henna.

Freija
November 22nd, 2009, 01:43 PM
I bleached my hair blonde about 6 months ago. It was fun, but too high maintenance to keep up. So I switched back to henna a couple months later. I love how healthy it feels, but I haven't been able to darken all of my hair. The really blonde highlights are an orangy red, and the rest of my hair has darkened to a brown red. I'm wondering if there is a particular brand (maybe jamila or punjabi prime?) that will come out a darker red?

Yemeni is supposed to be the best for dark reds; I'm pretty sure that Jamila and Punjabi Prime are the same thing, and both better for coppery orange colours.

I'm not sure you'll be able to make all your hair the same colour, though, whichever type of henna you use - unless you go very dark, perhaps.

Windblownhair
November 22nd, 2009, 01:49 PM
I'm not sure you'll be able to make all your hair the same colour, though, whichever type of henna you use - unless you go very dark, perhaps.

Yeah, unfortunately until I grow it out, I'm sure I'll have that demarcation. As long as I get the highlights to a red color I'll be happy, though.:D

Anyone here use Yemeni? Recs on which acid to mix it up with?

Freija
November 22nd, 2009, 03:36 PM
Yeah, unfortunately until I grow it out, I'm sure I'll have that demarcation. As long as I get the highlights to a red color I'll be happy, though.:D

Anyone here use Yemeni? Recs on which acid to mix it up with?

I think the general consensus is that as close to neutral PH as possible is better - I used sterilised rainwater or de-mineralised water myself (I used to use jamila). Plain tapwater should be okay, though you could add a teaspoon or so of lemon juice if you really wanted. :)

kimi
November 22nd, 2009, 08:57 PM
I recently ordered Punjabi Prime, and inside the ziplock bags, the packages that contained the henna said Jamila on them. Very fast dye release and very easy rinsing, too. I like it, but for some it might be a bit too bright of a red-orange color.

amaiaisabella
November 22nd, 2009, 09:33 PM
Yemen got my hair closest to burgandy and avoided the orange flare. Highly recommended on my part! :)

Hanamizu
November 23rd, 2009, 01:12 AM
Hmm.. Mehandi.com's description of Yemen Henna says it dyes the hair a "dark auburn".. it doesn't look more brown does it ?.. I'm also looking for a cooler red..

Henna Sooq
November 23rd, 2009, 08:26 AM
a cooler red would probably be Jamila summer crop 2009. Go for that. I recently did that a few months ago just to try it out, but I use yemeni exclusively for the most part for the last 2 yrs.

aahavaa
November 23rd, 2009, 08:36 AM
I have dark brown hair and use Jamila/PP for when I want the brighter red and Yemeni for when I want the richer darker hues. Henna sooqs Yemeni 09 is what I last used since it gives an awesome burgundy in the sunlight but looks a rich dark brown/black inside.And makes it impossible to detect my whites of which there are a few.
Another thing I found lately and am now confirming it (for me at least dont know if works for others) which is real weird is that Yemeni henna encourages my curl while the others make it straighter.
Hope this helps.

rach
November 23rd, 2009, 08:41 AM
Yemeni henna's lovely :crush:

Hanamizu
November 23rd, 2009, 09:31 AM
Rach, your hair is gorgeous! Just checked out your profile :D
Do you use yemen henna?

rach
November 23rd, 2009, 09:44 AM
yep, but the colour does differ from person to person. but i do adore that colour from it.

Hanamizu
November 23rd, 2009, 09:52 AM
So between yemen and jamilla 2009 summer crop.. which is more cool toned red and least orange?

rach
November 23rd, 2009, 10:21 AM
yemen and jamilla - i'm curious too, to know what the answer to that is?

:drama:

Henna Sooq
November 23rd, 2009, 10:49 AM
Like Rach said it can vary to person to person. I found the results were exactly as Rach described. I got a cooler red, and a richer, darker red from Yemeni. But neither gave me orangey tones. I don't have any grey though to cover. So on grey hair it could be lighter towards orangey with Jamila more so then Yemeni

Marions
November 23rd, 2009, 10:52 AM
So between yemen and jamilla 2009 summer crop.. which is more cool toned red and least orange?

I wanted to order yemeni, I almost hit checkout when I saw this thread. Does anyone know? I don't want to buy both as I have 1700g of henna at home.

Marions
November 23rd, 2009, 11:02 AM
Thank you, Henna Sooq, I'll probably have to order both.

Henna Sooq
November 23rd, 2009, 11:22 AM
welcome :)

HerbalKarma
November 23rd, 2009, 01:30 PM
Try herbal henna, it will get your hair a bit darker towards burgundy and will deepen with each appication. If it does not come out dark enough, try adding some Indigo to the mix.