PDA

View Full Version : Blueberries and Beets?

Luckysock
November 15th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Hi everyone,

I am battling the brass on the colour-processed length of my hair that I'm growing out. The colour of my length after a year of not colouring has almost faded to match my roots, which is great, but there is a brassy sheen left over that I'm trying to neutralize.

So I was reading around about colour corrective treatments and shampoos that correct for brass, and most of them deposit purple onto the hair to counteract the yellow tones. So I've been experimenting with natural purple dyes.

So far I have only tired blueberries. I wish I could post pictures for you, but my camera is broken :( .

So I simmered a handful of blueberries for a about a half-hour and then strained the liquid through a sieve. I mixed the purple liquid with some strongly brewed coffee and then mixed it all into an SMT. I got a soft purple treatment, which I put on my hair for about 2 hours. I think the results gave me a slightly ashy tone (which is what I wanted) but it didn't last. Also I made enough of the mix to do two batches, but after a couple of days when I went back to get the second part out of the fridge all of the purple dye had deactivated - all that was left was the coffee. Soooo I think blueberries probably aren't a good choice.

This week I'll try beets... I'll let you know how it turns out.

If anyone knows any natural purple dyes, let me know - and I'll put em on my head ;)

florenonite
November 15th, 2009, 11:09 AM
I seem to recall spidermom got temporary purply-blue from blackberries, but I'm pretty sure it washed out the next time she washed her hair.

Carolyn
November 15th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Wouldn't beets leave your hair with a reddish hue? I'd be afraid of that.

misstwist
November 15th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Wouldn't beets leave your hair with a reddish hue? I'd be afraid of that.

I agree. I think the water from purple cabbage would be better. It's a very bluish purple.

iris
November 15th, 2009, 03:49 PM
To be honest I don't think it's a good idea to try natural stuff to counteract brassy tones. Natural stuff very, very often (if not always) has tannins in there, and tannins often are reddish/brassy. Tannins can also build up a bit on your hair, especially on the ends, IME. So you may end up making the problem worse in the end. The purple component in things like berries and leaves is anthocyanins, they are not stable at all so whatever tint you get won't last - leaving the tannins behind.

ETA: Another problem with berries, cabbage etc is that the exact shade of the anthocyanins also varies with pH, so something can look blue/purple in solution but end up looking red on your hair if your hair has a lower pH than the solution. Hibiscus, for instance, looks red as a tea because it's very acidic, but ends up blue on my hair, I presume because my tap water has a fairly high pH. The exact pH value at which the shade turns depends on the anthocyanin, but they all have that property. /end ETA

As far as I know, the purple dyes in shampoo etc are not toxic, and they do work well IME. Why don't you want to use them?

The one natural thing I can think of that can counteract brass and doesn't have a brassy component as well is indigo, but it's very hard to get just the right amount of indigo in, it often takes unevenly and sometimes it'll end up very permanent (usually when you don't want it too IME :lol:). I wouldn't recommend it. I'd just stick with the blue toners/shampoos/conditioners :shrug:

Luckysock
November 15th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Thanks Iris! that is good advice, I wouldn't have known about the tannins issue :) maybe I will try the salon anti-brass poos, I'm thinking it might be hard to find one without cones - but I haven't really even tried yet.

Thanks for the advice!

misstwist
November 15th, 2009, 04:14 PM
The Roux Fanci-Full color rinses are non-cone.

http://www.sallybeauty.com/Color-Rinse/SBS-700318,default,pd.html

Flynn
November 15th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Beets give hot pink. My mum used to use them for colouring icing for kids birthday cakes. (This was at the height of the Red Food Colour Fear.) I don't think they are the right sort of purple to do what you want.

ktani
November 15th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Interesting little video. Apparently you can use the Unred by Ardell several different ways including adding it to your shampoo or mixing it with water and using it on its own.
http://www.associatedcontent.com/video/368739/eliminate_unwanted_redorange_brassy.html?cat=69

Reviews
http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemID=73542/UnRed_/Ardell/Hair

Reviews on Shimmer Lights. Some bluing shampoos can be harsh or smell or leave the hair purple.
http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemID=25818/Shimmer_Lights/Clairol/Shampoo

Ardell makes a Red Gold Corrector too
http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemID=12419/Red_Gold_Color_Corrector/Ardell/Hair

Lots of corrector products by them
http://www.goodmans.net/get_list_1049.htm

linda g
November 16th, 2009, 09:13 AM
The Roux Fanci-Full color rinses are non-cone.

http://www.sallybeauty.com/Color-Rinse/SBS-700318,default,pd.html

When used according to package instructions, it will start running out of your hair if you get caught in the rain or sweat a lot during a workout. At least on my hair.

klcqtee
November 16th, 2009, 07:51 PM
I'm suffering from the same problem. I made a dye with sumac leaves (seeped like tea leaves), black tea, and coffee grounds (recycled/reused). I dyed my hair and it darkened it a couple days (I did it as a modified SMT, left on for 3 hours). My hair absolutely sparkled and was so pretty, even after the dye rinsed out. It unfortunately didn't work long term, so I don't know what to do either.

My biggest issue is that it is coppery and brassy on the bottom, and my virgin hair is a mousy brown. Big contrast, so just reducing the the brass isn't enough for me.

Luckysock
November 16th, 2009, 08:01 PM
I'm suffering from the same problem. I made a dye with sumac leaves (seeped like tea leaves), black tea, and coffee grounds (recycled/reused). I dyed my hair and it darkened it a couple days (I did it as a modified SMT, left on for 3 hours). My hair absolutely sparkled and was so pretty, even after the dye rinsed out. It unfortunately didn't work long term, so I don't know what to do either.

My biggest issue is that it is coppery and brassy on the bottom, and my virgin hair is a mousy brown. Big contrast, so just reducing the the brass isn't enough for me.
Yup I've got the same issue. Brassy ends and mousy growth. I like the ashiness of my natural colour so I wouldn't mind growing it - but in the mean time I'll like to get the ends toned down a bit.

I'm trying whatever I can get my hands on ;) I'm going to try sage next, I'll let you know how it goes :D

spidermom
November 16th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Using an herbal tea called "Smooth Move" in a moisture pack with conditioner pushed my color toward ash. The effect didn't last long. I cooked blackberries down, strained out the seeds, and simmered the juice until thick, applied to hair overnight. I got a pretty red-violet color, but it washed out the next time I washed my hair. I've since found information telling me that if I mix this with shampoo and leave it overnight, the color will last longer. But I don't want to do that, sounds like it would dry my hair out.

Natalia
November 16th, 2009, 08:44 PM
My SIL dyes her hair with beets twice when she was pregnant. Came out real close to the conventional dye she uses a nice deep red/purple. Not sure that would do what you want just wanted to let you know someone else has done it. One cavet is that she did use level 10 developer with it to make sure it deposited well.

Something ive noticed on my hair (the dark ends that is) is that brewed hibiscus powder gives a great purple sheen. It still comes off purple on my blonde roots but it has more pink to it than the length. One thing ive been wanting to try that im going to so this week might be worth a shot for you too if you feel like an experiment :).

I'll be mixing cassia with a dark liquid (in my case brewed from black sesame seeds, hibiscus. and a touch of molassas) in hopes that as the cassia deposits it will take some color with it. Its just a theory but im getting my cassia this week so im happy to be a test dummy. I took some before pics a while ago and i will take some after. I will be posting them on my page if your interested. I hope whatever you do works well. Good luck!

Anje
November 16th, 2009, 09:30 PM
How about Mrs. Stewart's laundry bluing? I think we've got a few folks here who put a few drops in a rinse to make their white hair sparkle. I'm not sure what's in it, but it's supposed to be quite innocuous.