PDA

View Full Version : what are the most beneficial oils for scalp and hair?

vdhendrix
November 11th, 2009, 10:12 PM
i konw that essential oils can be very good for your scalp, and ive been told that rosemarry EO can be very beneficial, but what exactly are the best ones for your scalp and hair, and what benefits do they offer?

also why is rosemarry beneficial? and have any of you personally used any of these oils and experienced any benefits?

Spring
November 11th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Vdhendrix, great question. I'm very curious about this too...

sonng
November 11th, 2009, 11:35 PM
I use coconut oil and rosemary oil together for my hair and I like how it makes my hair really soft and fragrant. :) I heard that rosemary oil stimulates your scalp and thus help hair grow stronger. Thats just what i heard and it works great for me so you can go for it. :O
Oh I also use rosemary and coconut for my skin ;) its greeeaat~:eyebrows:

vdhendrix
November 12th, 2009, 12:17 AM
I use coconut oil and rosemary oil together for my hair and I like how it makes my hair really soft and fragrant. :) I heard that rosemary oil stimulates your scalp and thus help hair grow stronger. Thats just what i heard and it works great for me so you can go for it. :O
Oh I also use rosemary and coconut for my skin ;) its greeeaat~:eyebrows:

if rosemary stimulates your scalp, could it also make it grow faster?

ladycatpurrs
November 12th, 2009, 06:27 PM
I also use rosemary oil a lot (and cook with it, mmm) for it's scalp stimulating properties. I read somewhere that if it is overused it can be toxic but I don't remember the amount. I use it with my "beauty oil" treatment for my hair (eclectic combo of whatever I have at the moment), maybe 10 drops into half of a cup of oil and this is used twice a month so I don't concern myself with doing an herbal overdose! I love the smell and my hair shines..should though, I put it through an oil slick, LOL!!

mira-chan
November 12th, 2009, 08:59 PM
if rosemary stimulates your scalp, could it also make it grow faster?
I've not heard of that effect from rosemary but some mixes with rosemary in them (chrome dome; sweet success) are said to have that benefit, but I'm not sure what exactly is in them. Rosemary by itself is for scalp health and sebum production balance.

The only essential oil that has been reported to help make hair grow faster by itself (diluted in a vegetable oil) is Jatamansi, which is a plant in the Valerian family.

ChloeDharma
November 13th, 2009, 01:02 AM
Rosemary is traditionlly used for hair growth and scalp health. I've seen it mentioned many times that it encourages the hair to enter anagen phase and for the cells to divide faster giving the result of quicker growth. However i've not found any scientific confirmation of this, only anecdotal.
That said, it is one of the essential oils included in the study done by the dermatology department at the university of aberdeen on essential oils as a treatment for alopecia areata (the others are lavender, cedarwood atlas and thyme).

For scalp health i can say that rosemary infusion has worked very well for me in the past, not quite the same as faster growth but ridding me of scalp ickyness was very welcome at the time!

I would say check out contraindications for rosemary before using it though, at the very least it's considered unwise to use it if you suffer from high blood pressure.

saudia
November 13th, 2009, 08:14 AM
bonsoir:D
my english is very bad pardone moi:p
i have 10years with dabur amla it's great!:cheese:

theshebear
December 7th, 2009, 04:45 PM
I use rosemary essential oil for scalp massage. It takes only a few drops and I have noticed less shedding when I use it. Plus, it smells so good.

roryx
December 8th, 2009, 03:21 AM
I use wheat germ oil,coconut oil,olive oil,shea butter..but i've nver tried rosemary oil,interesting..

Arctic
December 8th, 2009, 04:43 AM
I had very irritated scalp at one point due to some hair care practices I tried out when I joined LHC didn't agree with my oily, acneprone skin/scalp. That's when I started to use lavender essential oil mixed in aloe gel (later also aloe juice, both are good, gel is easier to apply).

This mix of lavender EO and aloe practically calmed my scalp down, made it heal, and it has continued to stay in great shape (only exception is just very recently, right now my scalp is a bit irritated because I have been experimenting quite a bit lately, but nothing like the irritation I used to have and the mix really helps, I have decided to cut down the scalp irritating rinse I've used lately), including I have been dandruff free while using it! Lavender is also very calmingand relaxing to mind.

I later added rosemary EO to my mix, and occasionally use also teatree essential oil in it.

I can't say if they have had any effect on my hair, but my scalp has really benefitted, I have been able to quit using dandruff shampoo during the time I've been using this mix (over a year). I love the fragrance my hair has :inlove:

I use them after my wash on towel dried scalp, and don't rinse off. I mix them in my cupped hand, about 2 drops of each EO and about 2 peas worth of aloe gel (if using aloe juice, I add it as much as I can fit into my cupped hand without it running over, it's not very much.).

clairenewcastle
December 8th, 2009, 08:39 PM
I've added rosemary oil to other carrier oils in the past. Apart from the scent, I've always found that it is the base oil that does all the work by moisturising the hair and scalp, not the essential oil.