PDA

View Full Version : Types of Camellia Oil?

Sissy
November 7th, 2009, 10:19 AM
I was reading another thread here about Camellia oil and noticed people talking about two different types of Camellia Oil.
Pure Camellia Japonica Seed Oil
Pure Camellia Sinesis Oil
* one or two people indicated that Japonica Seed oil was better, but I am not sure of why.

I definitely notice a price difference in the two types. So, I was searching on Ebay and came across this Camellia Oil:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390112940790&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123
The price is 4 ounces for about $10 including shipping. I was very excited but also curious as to what type of Camellia Oil it was. I emailed the seller asking and received the following response:

"Hi,
This is Camellia Oleifera,(Oil-Seed Camellia). That is the variety used most often for cosmetic purposes, the varieties you mention less so."

So, I'm wondering what are the differences between these 3 varieties? Is there a variety known to be better for hair?

Hope this isn't too confusing! Thanks in advance for responses.

pilateschick7
November 7th, 2009, 12:32 PM
I have purchased both Camellia Oil and Emu oil from Hedys-Haven.
She shipped promptly and her oils seem to be of good quality. I don't have a basis of comparison for the Camellia oil however it was clear and odor free.

I don't know what the difference is between the variants of Camellia oil.

I read good things on the LHC forum about this Camellia oil available on Amazon . I have it on my wish list.

http://www.amazon.com/Oshima-Tsubaki-Camellia-Hair-Care/dp/B000OW9QCW/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1NGHO4X87MM3Y&colid=YDDDM26L0UAC

Hope that helps. I will definitely watch this thread.:)

rymorg2
November 7th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Hi Sissy!

I've used both Japonica and Sinesis and I will only buy Japonica.....there's a definate difference in them. As little as I use at a time, it's worth the extra money imo. I still have my original little pump.

I was reading another thread here about Camellia oil and noticed people talking about two different types of Camellia Oil.
Pure Camellia Japonica Seed Oil
Pure Camellia Sinesis Oil
* one or two people indicated that Japonica Seed oil was better, but I am not sure of why.

I definitely notice a price difference in the two types. So, I was searching on Ebay and came across this Camellia Oil:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390112940790&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123
The price is 4 ounces for about $10 including shipping. I was very excited but also curious as to what type of Camellia Oil it was. I emailed the seller asking and received the following response:

"Hi,
This is Camellia Oleifera,(Oil-Seed Camellia). That is the variety used most often for cosmetic purposes, the varieties you mention less so."

So, I'm wondering what are the differences between these 3 varieties? Is there a variety known to be better for hair?

Hope this isn't too confusing! Thanks in advance for responses.

detritus
November 7th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Is Japonica white and Sinensis yellow? At Garden of Wisdom, I ordered Sinensis (yellow) and Oleifera (white) and preferred the yellow for both my skin and hair. Cheaper, too. I haven't tried the Japonica yet because it seems so expensive.

Sissy
November 7th, 2009, 01:36 PM
I have purchased both Camellia Oil and Emu oil from Hedys-Haven.
She shipped promptly and her oils seem to be of good quality. I don't have a basis of comparison for the Camellia oil however it was clear and odor free.

I don't know what the difference is between the variants of Camellia oil.

I read good things on the LHC forum about this Camellia oil available on Amazon . I have it on my wish list.

http://www.amazon.com/Oshima-Tsubaki-Camellia-Hair-Care/dp/B000OW9QCW/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1NGHO4X87MM3Y&colid=YDDDM26L0UAC

Hope that helps. I will definitely watch this thread.:)

Hi there,

Regarding Hedys-Haven Camellia oil... did you find that it did anything special for your hair?

I have also seen people raving about that Oshima Tsubaki Camellia Hair Care Oil on Amazon but was hoping to get it cheaper somewhere. From what I'm hearing people who have tried more than one variety seem to like the more expensive one (Japinoca) better?

Sissy
November 7th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Is Japonica white and Sinensis yellow? At Garden of Wisdom, I ordered Sinensis (yellow) and Oleifera (white) and preferred the yellow for both my skin and hair. Cheaper, too. I haven't tried the Japonica yet because it seems so expensive.

I'm not sure if there is a color difference between them. I notice the less expensive oil on Ebay looks clear/colorless.

I just want to make sure I get the best quality Camellia oil so that I can truly know if it does the trick for my hair or not. I'd hate to buy the wrong type and then think the oil is nothing special. I'm almost tempted to buy the more expensive Amazon product because of that fear.

pilateschick7
November 7th, 2009, 02:17 PM
I really did not find that Hedys-haven's Camellia oil was anything that I would reorder. It just did not seem to do anything at all. Coconut oil and Emu oil are a bit cheaper and really help moisturize and tame frizz.

I am definitely going to invest in better quality Cameillia oil before I give up on it.

Sissy
November 8th, 2009, 07:33 AM
I really did not find that Hedys-haven's Camellia oil was anything that I would reorder. It just did not seem to do anything at all. Coconut oil and Emu oil are a bit cheaper and really help moisturize and tame frizz.

I am definitely going to invest in better quality Cameillia oil before I give up on it.

Thanks so much for that review. You have really helped me to make my decision. I am going to ask for the more expensive camellia hair oil sold on amazon for Christmas, not the less expensive Ebay ones. Yes, it's more money upfront but at least I'll know if camellia oil is something good for my hair and I won't be wondering if the one I bought wasn't good and perhaps I should buy another. A few LHC members have posted good findings on the Amazon Camellia hair oil, so I'll pay the extra and give that one a go. If only I had a store that sold that brand locally for a bit less money!

Sissy

mira-chan
November 8th, 2009, 10:07 AM
White oil is refined oil. Oshima Tsubaki is yellow. I've tried both C. japonica and C. sinesis and will go with japonica as well. it just goes on smoother. Sinesis goes on with a bit of drag/ friction feeling, the other one just smoothes on and distributes easily. Less of japonica is needed for the same result too.

Sissy
November 8th, 2009, 09:39 PM
White oil is refined oil. Oshima Tsubaki is yellow. I've tried both C. japonica and C. sinesis and will go with japonica as well. it just goes on smoother. Sinesis goes on with a bit of drag/ friction feeling, the other one just smoothes on and distributes easily. Less of japonica is needed for the same result too.

This is good to know... thanks for posting!

Qamar
November 9th, 2009, 01:30 AM
I've never used the Camellia Japonica version so I really have no basis of comparison, but I have been using Camellia Sinesis oil (clear) that I purchased from Hedy's Haven on ebay for a year and a half now and my hair loves it. It leaves it silky soft, shiney, and makes combing out a breeze. I only need four drops to do my tailbone length hair so it lasts for ages and I've had no issues with odor or it turning rancid. I wouldn't do without it now and it even gave me waves where before my hair was super straight. Eventually I'll splurge on the C japonica, but for now the C. sinensis and emu oil (I use Hedy's Haven emu oil on my face and once in a while for a deep oiling) are keeping both my hair and my wallet happy.

melikai
November 9th, 2009, 03:26 AM
I ran out a while ago and haven't gotten around to buying more yet, but I too was really happy with the Camellia oil I got from Hedy's Haven. I got a tiny bottle and it lasted me for ages. It seemed to provide just the right amount of moisture and "oiliness" for my hair - it's very light - and I liked that it was colourless. However, I've never tried the other type, so I can't compare!

Henna Sooq
November 9th, 2009, 06:49 PM
IN my opinion I found argan oil to be really amazing at taming frizzies. if you check out my profile pics of my kids, my daughter there has really long curly hair and it frizzes at alot. I'm also not into the greasy look as I find it dirty looking. So we started using argan oil, which deeply moisturizing and also non-greasy as it absorbs so well. It goes a long way as well. I use like a dime amount each time in her hair after washing. I find it helps me brushes out her hair so much easier as well

Sissy
November 11th, 2009, 04:40 PM
IN my opinion I found argan oil to be really amazing at taming frizzies. if you check out my profile pics of my kids, my daughter there has really long curly hair and it frizzes at alot. I'm also not into the greasy look as I find it dirty looking. So we started using argan oil, which deeply moisturizing and also non-greasy as it absorbs so well. It goes a long way as well. I use like a dime amount each time in her hair after washing. I find it helps me brushes out her hair so much easier as well

that's good to know about the Argan Oil... thanks so much.

Sissy
November 11th, 2009, 04:41 PM
I can see from the posts that many people are also happy with Hedy's Haven Camellia oil. I may give that a try but I'm thinking I'll go with the more expensive amazon brand initially.

mira-chan
November 11th, 2009, 04:44 PM
I can see from the posts that many people are also happy with Hedy's Haven Camellia oil. I may give that a try but I'm thinking I'll go with the more expensive amazon brand initially.
How close are you to NYC (Manhattan)? There is a store that sells the Amazon one (Oshima) for about $13. It's a bit tricky to find and is only open 9-5 on weekdays.

Henna Sooq
November 11th, 2009, 05:29 PM
welcome :)

Sissy
November 11th, 2009, 08:32 PM
How close are you to NYC (Manhattan)? There is a store that sells the Amazon one (Oshima) for about $13. It's a bit tricky to find and is only open 9-5 on weekdays.

I'm upstate and don't go to the city often so it's not that feasible. Thanks for the tip though.