PDA

View Full Version : Omega 3 oil for hair???

julliams
October 28th, 2009, 05:45 AM
And yes I mean directly on the hair.

Basically I have about 100 tablets that go off in a month so I can't possibly take them all orally but... I wondered what omega 3 oil would be like on the hair and scalp. Has anyone tried it?

Elvi
October 28th, 2009, 06:13 AM
I have found some Finnish hair conditioner product that is advertised for being rich in omega 3 oil. Definitely omega 3 is good and necessary internally, and much of those tablets you can still take that way. I would trust that omega 3 rich oil is good for hair care but I don´t know whether your tablets contain other ingredients not so proper for hair externally.

lovelylaura
October 28th, 2009, 06:25 AM
My friend and I used to crack open Vitamin E capsuls meant for ingestion and put them on our face, but that didn't last for long because the consistency of the Vitamin E was so goopy and sticky. Maybe your gel capsuls will have a different consistency that might not be so bad. I also agree with Elvi, that they may not be intended for external use on your hair. I wonder what all the ingredients are or maybe it is just pure Vitamin E?

Are you saying that you need to rid of these capsuls because the expiration date is near? Depending on how long I would be consuming them after the expiration date, I would probably continue to take them. But thats just me and I didn't say that! :X

ChloeDharma
October 28th, 2009, 09:04 AM
I'd definately give it a go, i actually brought some flaxseed oil to try on my hair but i found the smell a bit overpowering. Fish oils might have a similar issue but if you don't mind the smell then i can't imagine it will hurt at all. Oils tend to be absorbed through the skin, so a good scalp massage with an oil rich in omega 3 will be great delivering those essential fatty acids right to where they are needed.
Ok, i get far too excited about these things :o

hmmm
October 28th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Why don't you buy cod liver oil in oil form and use that? :P
You can still take the capsules, I take three a day. It's supposed to be good for the skin and hair and the immune system... :D

ericthegreat
October 28th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Fish oil is definitely a very healthy oil for you to consume! I don't see why you couldn't try it on your hair, an Omega 3 is a very rich fatty acid so it should work wonderfully for your hair.

I've also heard of people using emu oil on their hair as well with fantastic results.

burns_erin
October 28th, 2009, 03:49 PM
I would mix it with another oil to dilute, if yours are anything like mine, the smell is atrocious.

Can imagine it would be bad (as in harmful) though.

clairenewcastle
October 28th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Overall it sounds like a good idea, but I would check what other ingredients are in the oil first, just in case. Also, I broke one open in the past which, unfortunately, didn't smell too good.

aahavaa
October 28th, 2009, 04:26 PM
You are going to stink of fish real bad! Just take them over the next couple of months.A few days over the expiry date isnt likely to make much difference.Just mix them into food or something.Better that than your hair stinking of fish for a week.

clairenewcastle
October 28th, 2009, 04:46 PM
You are going to stink of fish real bad! Just mix them into food or something.Better that than your hair stinking of fish for a week.

Thanks for saying so honestly what I was thinking aahavaa! It may be a good idea in that it's nourishing but one whiff of someone's hair with omega-3 oil on it.......:poot::poot::poot::poot::poot::poot::(

Kris Dove
October 28th, 2009, 04:52 PM
I've used flaxseed oil on my hair sometimes- but do be sure to use a highly scented shampoo and condition and wash twice as it is a bit smelly- not a bad smell like fish would have (ewww!)just not how I want my hair to smell either. I prefer other oils though tbh.

julliams
October 28th, 2009, 07:01 PM
I broke one open and smelled them and it is only very mildly fishy. I'll see how I go. I might try it on the ends a day before washing and see if I pass the sniff test.

I actually don't eat fish because it the smell makes me feel ill, so I'll know whether it's do-able for me or not.

Juliette

julliams
October 28th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Ok, I can smell it on my fingers now and it does smell fishy. Oh well, it seemed like a good idea at the time. :shrug:

julliams
October 28th, 2009, 07:28 PM
I've washed my hands about 5 times now and it still smells. Very glad I didn't put it on my hair in case it would be hard to wash out and I'd make myself sick smelling it all day.

Thanks for all your advise - just going to take it orally for now.

Juliette

clairenewcastle
October 28th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Oh well, it seemed like a good idea at the time. :shrug:

The idea was good in theory ;)
Good luck with finding a hair oil that suits you.:)

aahavaa
October 28th, 2009, 10:39 PM
LOL..glad you didnt get it on your hair ..big smile ....

lovelylaura
October 29th, 2009, 08:26 AM
I was just thinking I have to keep mine in the refridge because otherwise I will BURP and it smells like fish... ughhh

Heidi_234
October 30th, 2009, 08:25 AM
You can take more than 1 tablet a day. I think 2-3 a day is not an overkill, I think body builders do take more than 1 a day for example. Google it, and see if you're okay with taking this or that mount of fish oil. I think you're safe, but little searching can't hurt.

They are smelly inside, I doubt you'll be about to get away without smelling like fish.

julliams
November 1st, 2009, 04:19 AM
I used to take two when i was doing weight watchers as I was on quite a low fat diet and someone recommended that I take two per day. Perhaps I should go back to that just to use them all up. I expect that I can take them after the use by date but that they won't be potent enough to do much.

Carolyn
November 1st, 2009, 06:29 AM
What is the recommended dose on the bottle? I take 3 per day so I come close to using 100 each month. They don't magically become bad at midnight on a certain date. They will be fine unless you are talking years past the date. Use up what you have on hand now and then when you re purchase them, get a small bottle. I know the big huge bottles save money but unless you can use them up quickly, IMO it's best to buy lesser amounts and pay a bit more. I don't know if you can freeze something like fish oil or not.

clairenewcastle
November 1st, 2009, 11:59 AM
You'll probably find they are still potent enough for 6 - 8 months after the sell-by date, bear in mind the date is only a guide line. If the fishy smell becomes stronger when you break one open then stop them.

Sissy
November 1st, 2009, 12:25 PM
Are you saying that you need to rid of these capsuls because the expiration date is near? Depending on how long I would be consuming them after the expiration date, I would probably continue to take them. But thats just me and I didn't say that! :X

I would also just continue to take them internally. I don't think they would necessarily GO BAD. It would probably just be that they may become a bit less effective after the use by date. I don't think it's worth putting them on the hair.

Sissy
November 1st, 2009, 12:28 PM
I used to take two when i was doing weight watchers as I was on quite a low fat diet and someone recommended that I take two per day. Perhaps I should go back to that just to use them all up. I expect that I can take them after the use by date but that they won't be potent enough to do much.

Yes, I think you should take them. I saw where you said above that you don't eat fish at all. If you don't eat fish it's very important for your health to get fish capsules everyday... or flaxseed oil at least. I would take a couple each day... unless they're the huge triple strength ones. Sometimes, I take 1 triple strength one and one regular one per day.