PDA

View Full Version : Jewelry for hair?

Eniratak
October 18th, 2009, 03:05 PM
So the other day, I was in Rue 21 and I stumbled across this really interesting looking necklace with a bird shape as the charm. And it got me thinking.
What does everyone think of using necklaces in hair? I've had friends who used shoelaces as decoration before, but I've never seen anyone use jewelry. So.
Thoughts, opinions, anything?

Rivanariko
October 18th, 2009, 03:19 PM
I can't see why not. I've seen pictures of people with strings of pearls in their hair, why not do the same with necklaces? You'd have to be careful that the chain doesn't get tangled though...

adiapalic
October 18th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Good question! Doesn't seem like a far fetched idea to me--when I was little I would get mama's necklaces and drape them over my head so the charm would hang down my forehead, because I wanted to look like "The Childlike Empress" from The Neverending Story.

That said, at 22 years old now I still think jewelry could be used to accent your hair! I will be keeping an eye on this thread, especially with the creative crowd around here! :) :flower:

No excuses
October 18th, 2009, 03:22 PM
I have one fauvorite bracelet that I use tucked around a high ballet bun :) It isn't very expensive, though, so I wouldn't be very upset if I lost it.. and it is quite probable because jewellery for body parts isn't designed for hair, is it?

Eniratak
October 18th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Good question! Doesn't seem like a far fetched idea to me--when I was little I would get mama's necklaces and drape them over my head so the charm would hang down my forehead, because I wanted to look like "The Childlike Empress" from The Neverending Story.

That said, at 22 years old now I still think jewelry could be used to accent your hair! I will be keeping an eye on this thread, especially with the creative crowd around here! :) :flower:

XD. I draped them over my head when I was younger as well.

Amara
October 18th, 2009, 03:31 PM
I do this! I'm just careful about what the jewelry is made of - so it doesn't snag. I make a lot of my own beaded jewelry and it's just on the stretchy plastic thread so there's nothing to catch my hair. :)

Yozhik
October 18th, 2009, 03:51 PM

I did this too! Think of the elves in LoTR -- they have gorgeous hair ornamentation. Go for it :)

Shastrix
October 18th, 2009, 04:00 PM
In the Wheel of Time Cadsuane Melaidhrin has an iron-gray bun decorated with small dangling ter'angreals shaped as golden fish and birds, stars and moons...

:D

pepperminttea
October 18th, 2009, 04:07 PM
I worry it'd get tangled if it was something like a chain with charms, but I like little festoons on the tops of my hairsticks. :)

Anlbe
October 18th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Oh yes. I was recently given a hair fork which qualifies as jewelry in its own right, but I use necklaces in my hair. In particular I bought some strands of sea pearls which I twist into a normal bun if I need my hair to look fancier but have no time.

hippiechick1976
October 18th, 2009, 04:56 PM
I use amish pins tucked into buns etc a lot with charms off them. I got quite a few cheap charms at the jewelry section at the local craft store:) I have a butterfly, dragonfly, heart, star and some with stones etc in them. Works great!!

YoginiCelestial
October 18th, 2009, 05:12 PM
So the other day, I was in Rue 21 and I stumbled across this really interesting looking necklace with a bird shape as the charm. And it got me thinking.
What does everyone think of using necklaces in hair? I've had friends who used shoelaces as decoration before, but I've never seen anyone use jewelry. So.
Thoughts, opinions, anything?

I would think that a necklace in the hair could get tangled. But, if you take the charm off the chain and do some handywork on a hair stick or barrette?

windinherhair
October 18th, 2009, 07:35 PM
I haven't worn anything like that in my hair yet, but I have seen many pictures on LHC and I think it looks really pretty. I have seen draped hair sticks on etsy.com where it looks like a necklace draped between hair sticks.

GlassEyes
October 18th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Well, depending on how you wore it, it'd be the same as a circlet. Actually twisting it into a bun would be more complicated, and you'd have to watch the material, but beyond that...

banglaminerva
October 18th, 2009, 09:55 PM
The press made a big tadoo when Princess Diana wore a necklace in her hair. I haven't done that yet, but I have tucked hooked earrings into buns and pinned strings of beads around buns or into braids. I've also used vintage clip-on earrings clipped into buns.

friskybiznus
October 18th, 2009, 10:06 PM
These are cool ideas! ((running off to check jewelry box...))

Cherry_Sprinkle
October 18th, 2009, 10:16 PM
I can't really do a lot of chain type necklaces .. I can't even wear them around my neck.. I have a few beautiful sticks that have drapes attached that I wear but I have to be super careful putting them in because my hair tangles and twirls around and around the chain.. is this a curly hair thing?? but I have asked Nightshade to make me some hairsticks and forks from jewelery :)

Konstifik
October 19th, 2009, 04:10 AM
Ooh, that's an interesting idea! I would love to wear some of my necklaces in my hair. But I have no idea how to do it in a way that won't damage y hair when I take it out...

Redheaded Raven
October 20th, 2009, 07:23 PM
I have done this for years! I did the necklace thing when I was a child, but then I graduated to creating real pieces with the necklaces that would stay all day.

If it has a really snaggy chain I would wrap it in ribbon so that it would not grab and then tie the ribbon so that it created a drape with the necklace either for the front or the back depending on my mood.

I used to attach those little silver clips on to a necklace and then clip it where I wanted it. I also used other types of jewelry as well.

I have several necklaces that I bought and use exclusively for hair jewelry. I find them very exotic.

If you don't like using chains, they can alway be replaced with a cord of the right length.

Or you could get a set of short hair sticks and attach the necklace to them, using the clasp and with very little changes make a glorious drape to wear.

I like using short hair sticks for this, then they can be used for half ups and show off your hair to perfection.

It is a way to be very creative and fun with my updos, and styles. :D

I have some pics that I will have to find to show you all.

Konstifik
October 21st, 2009, 03:18 AM
I have done this for years! I did the necklace thing when I was a child, but then I graduated to creating real pieces with the necklaces that would stay all day.

If it has a really snaggy chain I would wrap it in ribbon so that it would not grab and then tie the ribbon so that it created a drape with the necklace either for the front or the back depending on my mood.

I used to attach those little silver clips on to a necklace and then clip it where I wanted it. I also used other types of jewelry as well.

I have several necklaces that I bought and use exclusively for hair jewelry. I find them very exotic.

If you don't like using chains, they can alway be replaced with a cord of the right length.

Or you could get a set of short hair sticks and attach the necklace to them, using the clasp and with very little changes make a glorious drape to wear.

I like using short hair sticks for this, then they can be used for half ups and show off your hair to perfection.

It is a way to be very creative and fun with my updos, and styles. :D

I have some pics that I will have to find to show you all.

Oh please do! I would love to see your jewelry-updo's! :)

Do you have any tutorials for this? I'm a total newbie on updo's more advanced than a ponytail... :o

Redheaded Raven
October 23rd, 2009, 10:00 AM
I am working on getting a tutorial put together. I have been out of pocket because of some family issues. So I will get one put together as soon as I can.

Konstifik
October 24th, 2009, 04:56 AM
I am working on getting a tutorial put together. I have been out of pocket because of some family issues. So I will get one put together as soon as I can.

Ah, family first! I hope everything goes well. :flower:

Jezerellica
October 24th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Now, this is a great idea! As long as it could be secured in, what a pretty look!! Thanks for the idea!!

Redheaded Raven
November 6th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Here are a few pics of some necklaces in my hair, ignore the halo of curls, it has been a constant state of humidity with weeks of rain. :rolleyes:

http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu45/Ravens_Lair_Treasure/DSC_0021-2.jpg
Here I used a wooden slide/comb to hold it in place.
http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu45/Ravens_Lair_Treasure/DSC_0019-3.jpg

This one has a necklace braided into the bun, with Sterling Silver hair fork.
http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu45/Ravens_Lair_Treasure/DSC_0014-4.jpghttp://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu45/Ravens_Lair_Treasure/DSC_0010-4.jpghttp://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu45/Ravens_Lair_Treasure/DSC_0003-4.jpg
I will put more up later and I am still working on some tutorials, but things have been very busy lately.

Mainly I used a sterling silver hair fork to hold them in place, but I will be more detailed in my tutorials. :D
Hope you enjoy the lovely jewels.

little_acorn
November 6th, 2009, 12:36 PM
:thud: great pics Raven :D

Konstifik
November 6th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Redheaded Raven: That's awesome! And inspirational. Thanks for the pictures. :D

Redheaded Raven
November 6th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the kind words, I thought that I had already posted these and I am embarrassed that I had not.

It has just been kind of crazy with work and the rain and rain and study and more rain and working on hair jewelry and rain.... Did I mention that it had been raining? :rolleyes:

For the last 6 weeks it has rained at least an inch every other day. It stopped for a few days and now they are forecasting more rain. We already have levees that are over flowing and now some may give way. I hope not.

Anyway I am working on tutorials to put up. I hope to have them done soon. :D

ArienEllariel
November 6th, 2009, 08:04 PM

hehe I did that too! I must have gotten the idea from the Neverending Story as well.. I just thought she was a princess and that necklaces were what princesses wore on their foreheads, so that's what I did. Funny how many little girls did this. :D