PDA

View Full Version : Brazillian Keratin Treatment

lora410
July 18th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Ok, I read about this keratin treatment. Apparently they coat the hair with keratin and it makes it straight and smooth for 3 months. They state "the more you do it the healthier your hair will be" :confused:. is this the same thing someone was talking about where they straight iron it onto your hair? Man I saw before and after pict of some of these womens fried hair turning into sleek and shiney do's.

ETA: I originally saw the add in our newpaper here and looked it up. here is the LINK (http://www.straightenmyhair.com/)

JessTheMess
July 18th, 2008, 10:09 AM
I've never heard of this, but I will keep an eye on this post to see if there is any more info. Sounds awesome, but too good to be true

Xepher
July 18th, 2008, 11:06 AM
I second what Jess said.

forgetmenotak
July 18th, 2008, 11:19 AM
I'm sorry not to be any help- but I'm curious too! What does it look like? Where do you get it?

lora410
July 18th, 2008, 11:34 AM
I'm sorry not to be any help- but I'm curious too! What does it look like? Where do you get it?

I added the information above.

NurseMama
July 18th, 2008, 12:01 PM
The site says that it "coats the hair". hmmm. That makes me wonder if after the keratin coating wears off in 2-3 months if the hair would be in even worse condition that it was to begin with since the coating would hypothetically keep any condish from penetrating the cuticle.

forgetmenotak
July 18th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Wow that's expensive. :disbelief: I'm just a poor student, and I won't get that for awhile even if it's ok for the hair.

lora410
July 18th, 2008, 12:16 PM
The site says that it "coats the hair". hmmm. That makes me wonder if after the keratin coating wears off in 2-3 months if the hair would be in even worse condition that it was to begin with since the coating would hypothetically keep any condish from penetrating the cuticle.

Or atleast go back to the same condition.

lora410
July 18th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Wow that's expensive. :disbelief: I'm just a poor student, and I won't get that for awhile even if it's ok for the hair.

Yeah, I couldn't afford 600 either..LOL

Periwinkle
July 18th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Keratin is the same stuff your fingernails are made of...I'm not sure I'd want it on my hair!

JessTheMess
July 18th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Wow the results are amazing!! I would love to give it a try, but the price kinda just punched me in the pocket...yeoooowch! I'll be happy with my wavy, unkeratin treated hair lol.

Riot Crrl
July 18th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Keratin is the same stuff your fingernails are made of...I'm not sure I'd want it on my hair!

Lol, hair is made out of it too.

Yes, this is the one they flatiron on. While wearing masks, because of the formaldehyde.

lora410
July 18th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Lol, hair is made out of it too.

Yes, this is the one they flatiron on. While wearing masks, because of the formaldehyde.

Oh dear lord!!! :couch:

ladystar
July 18th, 2008, 02:10 PM
My cousin has done this twice. Its a big processes They iron your hair like twice during the process and blow dry. You can't wash your hair for 7 days or so after they do the treatment. My cousin loves it. She said after the first time it started to wear off her hair started to get puffy (like before). It is expensive. I am pretty sure it messes up your hair in the long run! Funny I almost advertised for them at salons in my area but it was based on commission Blah!

lora410
July 19th, 2008, 08:04 AM
My cousin has done this twice. Its a big processes They iron your hair like twice during the process and blow dry. You can't wash your hair for 7 days or so after they do the treatment. My cousin loves it. She said after the first time it started to wear off her hair started to get puffy (like before). It is expensive. I am pretty sure it messes up your hair in the long run! Funny I almost advertised for them at salons in my area but it was based on commission Blah!

thanks for the info and I can see how they suck you in. There would be no way I could go from smooth and shiney to puffy.

Fantak
November 5th, 2008, 06:37 AM
Stylist was trying to talk me into getting a protein treatment and said they do an all natural keratin treatment from Brazil. She said it wasn't straightening.

I refused at first but now I'm not too sure. I'm going to try and give them a call tomorrow and see if I can get the brand name. In the meantime has any one tried anything similar? I have virgin hair that's pretty healthy, do I really need protein treatment? What would it do?

Thank you!

Fantak
November 5th, 2008, 06:39 AM
Ack sorry for bad spelling and odd capitals.. *waits patiently until she gets her 'edit' button*

lora410
November 5th, 2008, 06:46 AM
The only Brazilian keratin I heard was the Brazilian keratin wrap (aka straightening) I haven't heard of the other one.

Fantak
November 5th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Okay I was able to get through to them and talk to the top technician there. It is actually semi-straightening which is the last thing my 1b/1c hair. It is also a much longer process than what the stylist described, from the other information she gave me she doesn't seem to know much about the process anyway :/

Thank you for replying lora410!

manderly
November 5th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Whether it's permanently straightening or not, I don't know, but I do believe they use a flat iron in the process to "bond" the keratin.

Fantak
November 5th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Ok I've been looking through all the protein posts I don't even need protein my hair is perfectly healthy, if lacking a wee bit of moisture... and so my distrust of stylist grows.. *ugh* >.<

Samikha
November 5th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Ok I've been looking through all the protein posts I don't even need protein my hair is perfectly healthy, if lacking a wee bit of moisture... and so my distrust of stylist grows.. *ugh* >.<

Eh, stylists seem to get the protein/moisture thing wrong all the time :/ Or at least, a lot of my stylists do! But isn't it good to know that your hair doesn't need it?

Fantak
November 5th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Samikha: lol well I was looking forward to doing a fancy treatment.. I've never had one before ^.^ I just want to do everything for my hair and in reality it really doesn't need much hehe

Samikha
November 5th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Samikha: lol well I was looking forward to doing a fancy treatment.. I've never had one before ^.^ I just want to do everything for my hair and in reality it really doesn't need much hehe

Ah, I see how that could be a bummer :) But now you can spend the money on hairtoys!:eyebrows:

Fantak
November 5th, 2008, 03:48 PM
oooh prettty! yes ofcourse! *calculates huge amount of money saved by not getting getting protein treatment and puts it towards those lovely alexandre hair combs*

prosperina
November 5th, 2008, 04:17 PM
I read in Glamour that formaldehyde was involved. It sounds icky.

lora410
November 14th, 2008, 07:26 AM
Okay I was able to get through to them and talk to the top technician there. It is actually semi-straightening which is the last thing my 1b/1c hair. It is also a much longer process than what the stylist described, from the other information she gave me she doesn't seem to know much about the process anyway :/

Thank you for replying lora410!

I think it is the same thing. With the keratins straightening they use formaldahide, and in 3 months your hair returns to normal and probably looking liek a fried frizz ball. That ty[ically maked women go back and get that ultra smooth shiney pantene look going on.

ktani
November 14th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Fantak

This product keeps coming up but the largest thread on it is in the archives, which I included for you below, in the first link. There are some safety concerns.

Here is a post of mine on the topic.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=250848&postcount=5

Here is a current thread on it.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=11340

Beaglebuddy
November 14th, 2008, 11:24 AM
I just wanted to say that if your hair is healthy do not do the keratin treatment, it could seriously dry your hair out, make it like straw. I did 3 protein treatments over the summer and just wrecked my hair. It was so dry. I do think the first one was needed but that should have been it. My hair still is not back to normal, but a lot better than at the end of the summer.

Dreamernz
November 14th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Hey, my mum's a hairdresser and i work at her salon part time. if its the Brazilian treatment you're talking about, it's not a straightening treatment as in dead straight like the japanese one, it's more like a deep conditioning de-frizzer that lasts i think a few months but you'd have to check that. It's great for keeping your hair more healthy and in control without making it dead straight and losing the movement! hope this helps!

Fantak
November 14th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Thanks for clarifying Dreamernz! I was just talking about it with ktani :/

I'm going into the salon tomorrow to see what exactly went on and why I was getting different information from different people at the same salon. I think I will pass on the treatment though. My hair is in quite a good state and I don't want to risk anything ^.^;

Dreamernz
November 14th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Also, it smells minty, i think it also works really well when your hair's in particular need of rehab :D

Dreamernz
November 14th, 2008, 04:46 PM
No problem :D, one thing i would say is don't go for it purely to make your hair straighter (though it does do that and lasts quite a while), the thing is if your hair is uber healthy it might not make such a clear difference to you as if your hair was damaged but it would be best to talk to your hairdresser in relation to your hair type and condition to see what's best for you! :D

alys
October 16th, 2009, 10:55 AM
I'm usually behind the times..but I just heard about brazillian keratin treatments on the internet. I have no idea how I came upon the websites, and oddly enough Oprah has a bunch of people discussing it in a forum on her website.
How many of you have heard of this? It's a 'straightening treatment' that not the same as relaxers. I didn't want to muddy up with all sorts of links, but also maybe it's easier for everyone else if I put them in? Here (http://www.braziliankeratin.com/) is one site that is pro. The discussions on Oprah are rather negative, as there are some side effects that are very undesirable. I'm curious if anyone else here has had this done, or knows of someone? I'm not considering it, just curious. Or....has everyone already been there done that and I just couldn't find the thread :)

Spring
October 16th, 2009, 11:06 AM
I've heard of women doing the bkt with good results, but I aso think I heard that a woman died from not ventilating properly and the fumes from the formaldrahide [sp?] was too overwhelming.

jojo
October 16th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Thats scarey!

for me I tend to think anything that changes the structure of the hair is potentially damaging.

SHELIAANN1969
October 16th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Formaldehyde, on my head? eeeeeeeeek no way! I don't need my big ole head being preserved while the rest of my body is going south, holy cow!

I immediately thought of Brazilian waxing....that's a no no in my book as well....ouchie.

Spring
October 16th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Well... there's a lot of things potentially damaging to our hair, dyes, relaxers, perms, but breathing those fumes is deadly and that is pretty scarey.

But there are women who have had great success with the bkt and say they love the results.
I hope anyone considering this precedure would take extra precautions (open window, mask fan, or go to a professional you trust) and really read up on this.

Roseate
October 16th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Yeah, the formaldehyde part is worrisome.

As far as hair goes, it seems potentially less damaging than other straighteners because it wears off; your hair will be curly again after a few months if you don't get it redone. So that seems to indicate it's not totallly changing the structure of the hair like Japanese straightening or a perm, but just temporarily keeping it straight somehow.

Someone I know over the internet had it done (not on LHC), so I saw before/after pics and then pics a couple months later when it was back to curly. She was very happy with it, but she's not a longhair, so different goals. Her hair did not look fried at all, but she has coarse sturdy hair anyway.

Spring
October 16th, 2009, 12:31 PM
The hair might return to it's curly state, but the heat damage remains, and that might not show up immediately. There's definitely a lot to consider

sweetstaste
October 16th, 2009, 12:37 PM
I've heard crazy tales about this treatment. Someone said that it costs about $150 per hour and depending on the length of your hair, your bill could be around $500. She was told not to do anything major such as working out, sweating, not use of scarves or wigs, clips or tucking of the hair etc. Hair should not be washed immediately after treatment and a wait period of 3 days is advised, no wetting of hair. Hello? I wonder what would be the end result if the person was not told about sweating and working out? This is just too scary for anyone.

GlassEyes
October 16th, 2009, 12:41 PM
I've heard crazy tales about this treatment. Someone said that it costs about $150 per hour and depending on the length of your hair, your bill could be around $500. She was told not to do anything major such as working out, sweating, not use of scarves or wigs, clips or tucking of the hair etc. Hair should not be washed immediately after treatment and a wait period of 3 days is advised, no wetting of hair. Hello? I wonder what would be the end result if the person was not told about sweating and working out? This is just too scary for anyone.
That's japanese straightening, and those warnings are only for the first few days. I'm not sure if the brazilian has the same sort of requirements--probably a three day wait period at least.

Spring
October 16th, 2009, 12:45 PM
I think the BKT has similar instructions....

Roseate
October 16th, 2009, 12:50 PM

Yes, it's expensive, the person I know paid about $350.

If you get it wet or clip it in the first few days, your hair won't explode, it just won't stay straight. The wetting would bring back your natural curl, and the imprints of clips would stay in your hair.

After the 3 days you can put it up, work out, do whatever you want with it, but the more often you wash it/get it wet, the faster it wears off.

sweetstaste
October 16th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the clarification Roseate...I just wondered what the end result would be.

Gvnagitlvgei
November 3rd, 2009, 07:02 AM
I'm in love and am actually saving money:eyebrows:! I need nothing for my hair other than the appliances and a little styling oil like Moroccan oil. I have the treatments, daily conditioner and shampoo, flat iron, ceramic straightening comb (for roots), and blow dryer. For the first time, I'm actually happy with my hair. The line I use is the non-formaldehyde Salon Pro Keratina from Florida. It smells like the Caribbean with all the lemons and limes.

My hair is silky smooth and virtually break-free. I'd damaged it for many years with relaxers and various other things to remove the curls. It was dry, heavily broken at the top (I had a natural mullet!!!!) and poofy-frizzy on the ends. BKT is rather permanet because after the efffects wear off, the hair is still filled-in and well-conditioned with the keratin. I love it. I won't be stressing going back long now and am very happy with it. And the only drawback was the 2-day wait.

Gvnagitlvgei
November 3rd, 2009, 07:03 AM
Darnit, I forgot to add that I have pics but haven't uploaded them yet. I don't think I've got that privilege yet but I'll be making an album when I can. I'll try and post them on my Fotki;

fotki.com/hwiseman

Redheaded Raven
November 3rd, 2009, 07:06 AM
I am glad you found something that works for you! Looking forward to you being able to add pics! :D

Persnickety
November 12th, 2009, 12:15 AM
Hello,

This is my first post :)

What is everyone's take on brazilian keratin hair treatment?

I've done it twice already (the formaldehyde-free one) and it has really helped me GREATLY, I really loved the results but, I'm interested to know if it's damaging to the hair - whether short or long-term?

I'd love to know your thoughts on this. Thanks in advance!

HeatherJenae
November 12th, 2009, 05:50 PM
I had my hair permanently straightened with the Japanese technique. I had read about Brazil style treatment but found multiple sources online that said it uses formaldehyde! It's not that dangerous to the client since they're only exposed for a short time, but it's very harmful to the stylists.

McKanna91
November 12th, 2009, 11:24 PM
I hate to be an alarmist, but I read a very in-depth article in Allure a while ago about this Brazilian treatment. I also saw a pretty revealing news story on CBS. I've heard nothing but bad things about it. For one, formaldehyde is an extremely dangerous and aggressive carcinogen. There has been at least one documented death from this treatment. A woman is Brazil died as a result of the noxious fumes released by her hair 4 days following the treatment. Also, the FDA does not regulate the concentration of formaldehyde in the formulas which are made mostly in Latin America. Many contain as much as 10 times the safe amount.

Here's the Allure article: http://www.allure.com/magazine/2007/10/scared_straight. I highly recommend reading this and doing further research before doing something like this to your hair! Does the treatment work? Yes. Is it worth risking your health and even your life? Absolutely NOT, in my opinion.

In2JC724
November 13th, 2009, 12:00 AM
Hmm... I clicked the link and went to the site... I'm not impressed... lol The one chick on the front page definitely had some improvement as her hair was ridiculously wavy/curly... I can see how she would benefit from having her hair straightened.

But then I clicked on the "how does it work" link.. and they show three pics of this girl with nice (but dyed and a lil dry looking) blonde hair... she had good fullness, shape and volume to her hair. Then it flips to pics of her after and it's flaaaaat. Plastered to her head. Blah. Why do people think this is attractive? I like having volume and fullness to my hair. Is there something wrong with that?

I'm all for conditioning and moisture, but come on... Why does it have to be flat?

Anyways, sorry, it's just my thoughts on it... :twocents: hehe :)

Beesweet
January 20th, 2010, 09:48 AM
I'm in love and am actually saving money:eyebrows:! I need nothing for my hair other than the appliances and a little styling oil like Moroccan oil. I have the treatments, daily conditioner and shampoo, flat iron, ceramic straightening comb (for roots), and blow dryer. For the first time, I'm actually happy with my hair. The line I use is the non-formaldehyde Salon Pro Keratina from Florida. It smells like the Caribbean with all the lemons and limes.

My hair is silky smooth and virtually break-free. I'd damaged it for many years with relaxers and various other things to remove the curls. It was dry, heavily broken at the top (I had a natural mullet!!!!) and poofy-frizzy on the ends. BKT is rather permanet because after the efffects wear off, the hair is still filled-in and well-conditioned with the keratin. I love it. I won't be stressing going back long now and am very happy with it. And the only drawback was the 2-day wait.

Yep, I had my daughter get a non-formaldehyde treatment in a salon for a treat. Her hair went from a 4a to a 3b -- like Julianna Margulies. And once it wore off, it just plain wore off in a few months -- no damage at all, even though it had been flat ironed and we do NOT use heat on her hair. We are looking to do a salon version at home, since I can't afford to go to salon like that.
Gvnagitlvgei -- do you do "salon pro Keratina" at home?

If you do, would you share with me how you do it? Also, I was told by my daughter's very conservative stylist ( she won't work with formaldehyde) that the non-formaldehyde version is safe. I'm not sure, but there was no damage to my daughter's hair at all. It was quite amazing while it was in, then it just slowly went away and her hair was still healthy.

Beesweet
January 20th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Wow! Just did some research. Was thinking about my stylist saying that the BKT was safe for my teenager because there was no formaldehyde.
Check this link out here (http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?topic=11676&post=60829&uid=47010564510#post60829).

It explains everything I was trying to figure out about this stuff. Not sure we are going to use it anymore. Bummer, because even though we try to do natural hair even with type 4 hair (and a teenager who is the only curly she knows because everyone with her hair type chemically relaxes, including her own sister!), it is nice to have styling options.

Lady Dru
March 9th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Has anyone here tried a Keratin Nutrition Perm? I'm looking for personal feednack if you've had it done. Sorry if this was posted in the incorrect forum.

Lady Dru
March 9th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Has anyone here tried a Keratin Nutrition Perm? I'm looking for personal feednack if you've had it done. Sorry if this was posted in the incorrect forum.

Whoops - I meant feedback.

Talleen
March 9th, 2010, 11:16 PM
My hair stylist has been trying to talk me into this treatment, and usually I trust her input. I did this one treatment a while ago (sorry dont remember exactly what it was called) and it turned out exactly as she said.... my hair was thicker and growing like a weed.

But I'm very apprehensive about paying $300 for something. I will tell you she did a clear cellophane treatment...love love love this (evidently they stopped making it for awhile - but re formulated the treatment). But I'm not a purist - I do color my hair, and flat iron my hair :-)

Talleen
April 11th, 2010, 10:26 AM
ok just to update. I didnt get the full treatment, but my stylist used the Coppola Vanilla Bean Deep Conditioner, and stuck me under the dryer for 20 mins. All I have to say is O M G!!!

My hair is incredibly soft and shiny.... we both couldnt stop touching it... doesnt hurt that it smells wonderful as well.

So it retails for about $25 for a 7 oz tube...kinda pricey, but as a deep conditioner might be worth it.

xovictoryxo
April 11th, 2010, 01:54 PM
I always wanted to try this= till my aunt got it done and said it did nothing great for her hair at all - she said it was a waste of money!

Luna12345
May 28th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Has anyone heard of this or tried it before?.....Is it true that it's actually healthy for ur hair and makes it softer?....
I'm really considering getting it done but I want to make sure it will cause absolutely no damage to my hair.....so if u have done this with ur hair can u please share some before and after pics and how long it lasted in ur hair and how it changes the texture of your hair???

I'm sooo curious

GuinevereMay
May 28th, 2010, 11:42 PM
Is that the Brazilian Blow Out? I've heard it contains formaldehyde:puke:.

Athena's Owl
May 28th, 2010, 11:44 PM
It's a lie.

The brazilian keratin treatment doesn't magically straighten your hair with protein.

In fact, it uses formaldehyde, and believe me when I tell you that you do not want to be putting that on your skin or your hair.

Meagan
May 28th, 2010, 11:45 PM
I've heard of it...it stays straight for a couple months, then goes back to ur natural hair texture...

or some ish like that.

Luna12345
May 29th, 2010, 12:31 AM
Is that the Brazilian Blow Out? I've heard it contains formaldehyde:puke:.

Yes that's true....but I heard that 90 % of shampoos also have formaldehyde....so how bad can it be?

jera
May 29th, 2010, 01:13 AM
Yes that's true....but I heard that 90 % of shampoos also have formaldehyde....so how bad can it be?

I haven't heard that 90% of poos have formaldehyde but you could always CO if it worries you.

As for the Brazilian keratin treatment, I haven't had it done myself but know women who have and they rave about it because it totally eliminates frizziness. The effect will last a few months ( 3 or 4 ) then you need to have it done again. :)

Ranee
May 29th, 2010, 02:04 AM
Jst look ik up on youtube. The person who gives the treatment uses gloves and a mask in order to not inhale the fumes. That can't be good.

JenniferNoel
May 29th, 2010, 05:38 AM
And doesn't it involve a 300 something degree flat iron to seal it in?
Hmmmmm...
Well that's what I read a while ago.
It didn't sound too appealing to me, and the thing with the mask and the fumes, well, that definitely didn't look too good.

TigerLily1
June 10th, 2010, 03:40 PM
I had it done twice, you are right about the fumes and formaldehyde, but my hair was magically transformed after, it was sooo soft, shiny and amazing, my hair naturally is very very curely, the treatment made it sexy wavy so I loved it, if you use the proper shampoo/conditioner after, it could last up to 5 or 6 months.

I haven't had it done for about 18 months now, but seriously thinking about it.

Debra83
June 15th, 2010, 12:56 AM
I had it done twice, you are right about the fumes and formaldehyde, but my hair was magically transformed after, it was sooo soft, shiny and amazing, my hair naturally is very very curely, the treatment made it sexy wavy so I loved it, if you use the proper shampoo/conditioner after, it could last up to 5 or 6 months.

I haven't had it done for about 18 months now, but seriously thinking about it.

How much does it cost on average?

toby
June 20th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Hey guys, what do you think of Keratin treatments? would you recommend them? I'm thinking of doing it.. thanks!~

christine1989
July 3rd, 2010, 06:33 PM
I turned on the Tyra Banks show today while letting my hair soak in some hot coconut oil and they were dedicating the whole show to discussing hair styling techniques. Most of them I had heard of but when the topic of "Brazilian hair straightening" came up I was intrigued having never heard of it before. To my dismay it is a process by which hair is temporarily straightened using (get this) FORMALDEHYDE!! :shocked: Eeek! And I thought SLS was bad!

Aliped
July 3rd, 2010, 06:40 PM
THAT is horrifying!!!!

countryhopper
July 3rd, 2010, 07:11 PM
I seem to remember a thread about Brazilian hair straightening on the boards before....Hmmm. Maybe it was on the Hair Products and Accessories board. I don't remember it being mentioned that they use formaldehyde!! EEKK!!! I'm sure that is not something they share with clients during the sales pitch!

squiggyflop
July 3rd, 2010, 07:19 PM
eek.. no way i would put that bad of a carcinogen that close to my scalp

virgo75
July 3rd, 2010, 08:05 PM
I've been reading about this on other hair boards...

It's crazy the things people are willing to put on their hair.

And some do it themselves at home!
But it comes with all kinds of warnings like you have to use it in a well ventilated area because the fumes it gives off when blow drying and/or flat ironing are toxic.

Um, no thanks.

OperaTeacherMom
July 3rd, 2010, 08:07 PM
Yup, it's pretty disgusting. I felt the same way when I found out that most vaccinations have formaldehyde in them. No more flu shots for me, and no formaldehyde vaccines for my baby!

littlenvy
July 3rd, 2010, 08:20 PM
I thought it used keratine. That's why the also call it Brazilian Keratin Treatment. Its VERY VERY heavy on protein and needs small amounts of aldehyde as a preservative and to activate the keratine.

ArienEllariel
July 3rd, 2010, 08:25 PM
Yikes! That sounds horrible. I'm amazed at what people are willing to put in their hair sometimes. At least with stuff like coconut oil or olive oil, we know they are safe and not harmful. But formaldehyde? Wow. Uhuh. No way.

littlenvy
July 3rd, 2010, 08:34 PM
OH MY! I just looked it up and sure enough it DOES!
But there are few brands and it looks like some use more than others.

christine1989
July 3rd, 2010, 08:38 PM
On the topic of killer hair products I just read my mom's shampoo bottle- it has sodium laurel sulfate, sodium lauraleth sulfate AND ammonium laurel sulfate! Will the hair horrors never end today?!

HintOfMint
July 4th, 2010, 01:23 AM
On the topic of killer hair products I just read my mom's shampoo bottle- it has sodium laurel sulfate, sodium lauraleth sulfate AND ammonium laurel sulfate! Will the hair horrors never end today?!

Hey now! Leave my precious sulfates alone!:lol:

The formaldehyde thing sounds horrible. I hate frizz as much as the next person, but come on!

ibleedlipstick
July 4th, 2010, 01:28 AM
Um... to be completely honest, if I could afford this- I would do it. I have seen the results, and I am fairly doubtful that I will live past 30 anyway. Why not be completely gorgeous for the time I have?

Now off to hide in the corner while everyone says how unhealthy it is :p

Dragon
July 4th, 2010, 01:32 AM
Have never heard of it.

ravenreed
July 4th, 2010, 01:42 AM
I never thought I would make it to 40, but here I am. So don't sell yourself short. :o OTOH, life is hard enough, if you would be happy doing it, I say go for it.

Um... to be completely honest, if I could afford this- I would do it. I have seen the results, and I am fairly doubtful that I will live past 30 anyway. Why not be completely gorgeous for the time I have?

Now off to hide in the corner while everyone says how unhealthy it is :p

Tiina
July 4th, 2010, 01:52 AM
I wonder if this works on the same principle as embalming (the Other way formaldehyde is applied to human bodies). :uhh:

DARKMARTIAN
July 4th, 2010, 01:58 AM
Okay......so now ive seen both urine and formaldehyde referred to in the context of a hair product.

Next thing you know ill be hearing that the best way to trim your hair is with fire....:D

http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt267/DARKMARTIAN/Smilies/fire.gif

lastnite
July 4th, 2010, 02:12 AM
Okay......so now ive seen both urine and formaldehyde referred to in the context of a hair product.

Next thing you know ill be hearing that the best way to trim your hair is with fire....:D

not sure if you are being sarcastic there or not, but it was a way to trim hair back in the day. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singe#Hairdressing

ravenreed
July 4th, 2010, 03:39 AM
Actually, back when I was a kid (i.e. before I hit 20) I read about this and tried it. I was so afraid of setting myself on fire doing it that I gave it up after a couple of attempts.

Sarahmoon
July 4th, 2010, 04:13 AM
And people using this stuff might be completely horrified with what we put on our hair. Eggs, oil, vinegar... :laugh:

enfys
July 4th, 2010, 04:37 AM
People have always used deadly stuff for beauty's sake. Lead make-up anyone?

Most things contain toxins and carcinogens and who knows what else. I just hope anyone who goes for it at least researches what is in it and how to treat their hair afterwards.

Igor
July 4th, 2010, 05:20 AM
Formaldehyde is not a product made for preserving dead bodies, its just a product that’s being used for that process too. I don’t see why it should be more terrifying than all the other more or less weird products used for beauty?

You know what, I’m pretty sure they use ‘cones to preserve dead bodies too *gasp*

Edit: For one thing I know its being used as a preservative in vaccines. Yes, vaccines that are injected into the body and keeps people from dyeing from illnesses, those vaccines that are put through extensive testing :wink:

trillcat
July 4th, 2010, 05:33 AM
Tyra is NOT hair frieindly. She has the big $$$$$ to pay for damage repair.
I remember watching an episode of "Next Top Models" were they were doing the make over on the wanna bees. They bleached a girls hair to white blonde and laughed at her as she cried in pain from the bleach burning her scalp. Then commended her for "going through that" I believe she had sores on her head after that.
Egads!
It does not supprise me that Tyra, Miss pretend to be just one of us and isn't would advocate the use of such a harsh treatment.

30isthenewblack
July 4th, 2010, 05:42 AM
A lot of people have these treatments done in Australia and as someone who has curly hair, I don't necessarily agree with it. However, I wouldn't like people to stand in judgement of what I do to my hair so I try to give people the same respect. It's better to direct positive energy to improving your own hair than negative energy criticising other people.

DARKMARTIAN
July 4th, 2010, 05:47 AM
I love the smell of formaldehyde in the morning....

"The horror,.....the horror"..........:shocked:

trillcat
July 4th, 2010, 06:03 AM
A lot of people have these treatments done in Australia and as someone who has curly hair, I don't necessarily agree with it. However, I wouldn't like people to stand in judgement of what I do to my hair so I try to give people the same respect. It's better to direct positive energy to improving your own hair than negative energy criticising other people.
I agree, but, (there is always a but) However (a fancy but) when you see someone on TV advocating something so damaging, shouldn't we speak out against that?
How many ladies and gents have to kill their hair?
I did not see the show in question, so I will just shut up now. :)

30isthenewblack
July 4th, 2010, 06:05 AM
I agree, but, (there is always a but) However (a fancy but) when you see someone on TV advocating something so damaging, shouldn't we speak out against that?
How many ladies and gents have to kill their hair?
I did not see the show in question, so I will just shut up now. :)

In the end that's their choice. I don't really focus on what other people do with their hair to be honest as that is their business. I prefer to focus my efforts on how I can make my own hair better and what I do with my hair, is my business :flowers:

MicheleClaire
July 4th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Oh, how I hate Tyra. So much. I think she is a terrible host and treats her guests with little respect. Usually only shows her side of the argument, even if the other side is valid, and has the worst beauty advice ever.

Tyra is the only reason I am a fan of Naomi Campbell.

Ugh. Formaldehyde? Those poor pre-teen girls, so impressionable, too. X.X

littlenvy
July 4th, 2010, 08:57 AM

LOL - ...hhmm ... now that you mentioned it.. :eyebrows:

Peter
July 4th, 2010, 08:59 AM
Formaldehyde is not a product made for preserving dead bodies, its just a product thatís being used for that process too. I donít see why it should be more terrifying than all the other more or less weird products used for beauty?

You know what, Iím pretty sure they use Ďcones to preserve dead bodies too *gasp*

Edit: For one thing I know its being used as a preservative in vaccines. Yes, vaccines that are injected into the body and keeps people from dyeing from illnesses, those vaccines that are put through extensive testing :wink:
Quoted because I think it needs to be said again.

littlenvy
July 4th, 2010, 10:12 AM
not sure if you are being sarcastic there or not, but it was a way to trim hair back in the day. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singe#Hairdressing

Not that way back - lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3iqUtzOHWQ

lacereza
July 4th, 2010, 07:07 PM

dainaleeo2
July 6th, 2010, 11:40 PM
This is a treatment i'm actually getting tomorrow [& i guess i will be everyone's test dummy since no one else seems to have done it, not that i've read anyway :p ], but here is my take on it.

i've done a lot of reading & researching this before i even THINK to put anything on my head. that's a given. yes, there is a bit of a concern about the chemicals, but the formaldehyde issue is something i could handle. there isn't enough nor are you in exposure to it for long enough to really have any lasting effects, other than -possibly- a bit of a scratchy throat, which i'm assuming is if you're inhaling right by it. that's what i've read from testamonies.
let's face it; that chemical is in a lot more than we actually even know of, a few posts below saying just that. anything can be terrible in high doses, i agree, but this is a 0.02% or lower concentration that isn't going to kill me off the bat. plus, i know that formaldehyde is in nail polish, if i remember correctly, plus i'm sure that it's within various other beauty products we use that we don't even realize. most of us put parabens on our faces as it is, which are sopposedly carcinogenic, or simply not that amazing, so the issue of a chemical...i'm not worried. we expose ourselves to thousands of chemicals a month; i'm not sweating this one.

secondly is the issue of heat damage from this. alright, keratin is what hair is made of, & since the straightening is done to seal it in, since it's a conditioning agent for the hair, then i don't see why in the long run this is going to heat style-damage my hair. it seems no different to me than when you put conditioner on your hair, & to make it a 'deeper' condition you put *gasp* heat onto it in order to make it penetrate deeper! this is the same principal. plus, if the keratin does what it says it will & strengthens my hair & restores it,then i won't have a need for a flat iron, & thus heat styling should technically be minimized. so it wasn't making much sense to me on how my hair is going to be entirely worse off after this. keratin isn't bad for hair, since that's what it is, & dealing with having it straightened once is no worse than what i've done or many of us have done. the keratin is supposed to wash off & away as it would naturally from hair [with the daily stresses], so having my hair be -worse- off than when i started simply dosn't seem likely to me either.

again, i've read the forums, the complaints on oprah's forum, but that isn't the keratin system i'm having used on my hair, since i know almost all of those people seem displeased. this also [please note this] is NOT like a japanese straightening system. this isn't chemically changing the makeup of my hair. the formaldehyde -can- [& most likely will] make it straighter, but there is a formaldehyde free version as well. it's simply supposed to restore hair with the protein hair is made of, which seems logical to me, & i'm not looking to have it straightened [though that is a perk]. simply this is supposed to make hair healthier, shinier, & easier to manage, so this was my two cents on the matter. i'm having it done tomorrow, hopefully, or thursday-friday at the latest. i will let all of you know how it goes.
i'm also getting it cut to my jaw [it's above shoulder length now], because the highlights did take more of a toll on my hair than i assumed. i'm cutting it all off & hoping for the best with all of this. :)

jhator
October 10th, 2010, 04:17 AM
I'm considering getting this done but want opinions first. Here's my situation:

My hair is curly underneath and almost straight on top. Plopping doesn't do anything for the straight hair. Rag curls do work but they take forever to dry and it's not something I'm prepared to do often. My hair is too long for hair wrapping and I haven't tried large rollers yet but again, I think it'd be too time consuming. In January I got my straight hair layered, to let the curls show. This didn't work, my hair is fine, frizzes easily and when it's short it's flyaway so the top layer just poofed out and looked ridiculous.

The underside of my hair tangles easily but luckily my hair doesn't seem to suffer splits too often even though I never wear it up (my ears stick out because I wear hearing-aids). I haven't had any trims since January and I'm only now starting to get splits in the shortest layers.

I've experimented with WO, CO, CWC, coconut oil, vinegar rinses and SMTs. My hair likes SMTs and moisture in general, but not overly so or it becomes flat. My current washing routine is usually just to shampoo and condition twice a week with the Boots Naked range which is cone free. This range works well for me as it makes each strand feel thicker (it contains oils so this may be why) and weighs my hair down a little but not excessively so.

I tend to straighten my hair with GHDs every two months or so for nights out/special occasions etc, just to make it look more glamorous and less...hippy for a change. My friend mentioned the brazilian blowout and I've been trying to find out about it. Apparently it can last up to five months. I'm starting to think that this might be less damaging than my present routine, as I would be straightening my hair half as often.

The treatment is expensive and the procedure seems to be to clarify, blow dry, coat with product, blow dry, iron up to seven times(!), don't wash/tie back hair for two days. After that it's supposed to be straighter and less frizzy. It's also advisable to use sodium chloride free shampoos/conditioners to extend the life of the treatment. Sadly, mine do contain this so I'd have to change to something else.

I've been reading about the problems with formaldehyde and was thinking I'd buy a low formaldehyde version (I'm currently looking at Qod Gold) and try doing it at home so I could be more gentle with the blowdrying and ironing than most hairdressers are. I would be careful to ensure there's plenty of ventilation.

Thoughts? Advice? Any other less damaging avenues for taming my hair that I haven't tried? Any updos that look nice, work with layers and wouldn't make me look like a bat? Help! :)

Barniie
October 10th, 2010, 04:27 AM
Try reading all the threads on the LHC first - they tell you exactly why not to :) But if you feel it would help you, go for it :D

estherbeth
October 10th, 2010, 04:29 AM
Not so much an opinion, but for a fact - the methods used for Brazilian Blowouts are reeeally bad for your health. The solution that's used to straighten includes a high concentration of formaldehyde. There was a discussion just the other day about the treatment: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=57162

Apparently it works to straighten hair, but... is it really worth it, with those kind of consequences? shudder:

ETA: Any amount of formaldehyde is bad. Just because one brand has less than another brand doesn't mean it's not still awful for you.

Oksana
October 10th, 2010, 07:03 AM
It seems that people either love or hate this treatment. I actually love it and do it myself at home for a fraction of the price. I use QOD max, i use a fan and open windows for ventilation and it takes me about 2 hours to complete.

My hair is pretty curly and the top layer is prone to frizzing. If i wash and leave my hair after the treatment it is still curly but there is no frizz and if i blowdy (which i do occassionally during winter) it dries pretty much straight. It also dries much quicker than it did before.

I went on an adventure week away and it tipped with rain all week but my hair was perfect, it didnt frizz even in the most windy wet weather.

I repeat the treatment every 3 months and it costs me about £6.00. I'm not sure what consequences it might have on my hair since you have to use a high heat to set the product but I never have my hair longer than waist so i can trim away at the damage if needed.

jhator
October 14th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Thank you for the responses :) I'm still on the fence about this but my friend is trying it so I'll be able to see the results on her before deciding if it's right for me.

Oksana, do you use the special shampoos and conditioners or have you found normal ones that work?

Oksana
October 14th, 2010, 10:18 AM
I use a store bought sulphate and sodium chloride free shampoo and conditioner, much cheaper and does the same job!

aenflex
October 14th, 2010, 10:27 AM
For those that have been doing this long term - please share the effects. I used to work part time as an administrator in a local Salon. The girls that got this done loved it and also experienced negative long term effects, the most common being hair breakage far up the shaft from the excessive weight of the keratin coating. And recurring treatments for those with very curly hair became very expensive, although I suppose doing it at home fixes that problem...

jhator
October 15th, 2010, 05:51 AM
I use a store bought sulphate and sodium chloride free shampoo and conditioner, much cheaper and does the same job!

Yes that sounds much better! Could you tell me which brand you use? I was looking in Boots yesterday but couldn't find anything suitable and after a while my boyfriend just rolled his eyes and said 'let's get a coffee'. He has long hair too so he's pretty patient but when he's getting bored I know that it's really time to go :D

enfashionista
October 19th, 2010, 05:59 PM
there's formaldehyde in it...

Dreams_in_Pink
October 20th, 2010, 01:54 AM
Aside from health warnings and hair damage, i'm also not not sure how "straight" hair will get. My hair, for example, straight-proof. It never gets straight & flowing. If i blow-dry it straight, it becomes fluffy (mixture of straight and wavy) and if i flatiron it at the maximum degree it hangs like a stiff straight structure, as if i sprayed it heavily.

Besides, this might also not work for coarse-haired, as it will coat the hair with keratin. Strands might become even coarser :(

MClass
January 7th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Bumping thread. I have a friend who has BEAUTIFUL waist length hair. I was asking her what she does and she told me she does a keratin treatment. So of course I come onto LHC and dig through the threads.
She said her hair stylist does the treatment without form(uh you know the really long word)... so I guess the lack of those chemicals can play a role.
Her hair is some of the most beautiful straight hair I have ever seen and is sooo healthy looking it puts mine to shame. Just found it interesting.

Dacia
January 7th, 2011, 03:01 PM
http://www.cosmeticsdesign-europe.com/Formulation-Science/French-authorities-pull-hair-straightening-treatments-with-high-formaldehyde-levels?nocount (http://www.cosmeticsdesign-europe.com/Formulation-Science/French-authorities-pull-hair-straightening-treatments-with-high-formaldehyde-levels?nocount)

The list of banned products:

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/9042/14ac63137beb41b9b7037eb.png

prosperina
January 7th, 2011, 10:51 PM
Interesting list. The French also banned Red Bull for a while too--now it is perfectly legal and many French people enjoy their Red Bull(e). They seem to err on the side of caution, more so than other countries it seems.

It's interesting that this thread popped up again. I was reading about it last night on the internet because everytime my sister and I walk past a salon she says, wistfully, that she wants a straightening treatment. I'll have to tell her that the most likely her hair won't be stick straight like she likes it, just less curly.

I don't have anything against people getting this done, but so many women seem to think curly or wavy= frizzy. It doesn't have to. I avoid frizz pretty successfully without using a super expensive treatment.

Lianna
January 8th, 2011, 01:29 AM
Hi, I'm from Brazil. Some have formaldehyde, some say they don't. Some have the allowed amount, some don't. There's rule violaters in every field, isn't it? Some steal, some don't.

I'm not here to discuss "how bad" is formaldehyde, higher or lower concentrations, a lot or minimum time exposed. It depends on how much you're willing to risk yourself or just your hair to anything. Some won't even use a sulfate shampoo because it's so damaging to them, isn't it? Well, perhaps it is.

On a side note, aren't medical students exposed a lot to this substance?

About hair being straight or not. On the before/after photos it sure looks pretty straight, but it's probably heat style (as often happens when one goes to a salon). Does it look like that air dried? I don't know.

Does it make everyone's hair straight? No. It didn't with me. I tried a "semi expensive" at home kit several years ago, it was L'oreal, I think. It didn't change my hair at all, at least I didn't notice, it was poufy as ever (I didn't oil then). I believe I didn't work for me because it was formaldehyde free. Didn't damage my hair. Someone said something about heat damage, very rarely someone will have heat damage from one application (I've seen it once with extreme 400+ degrees F heat, very curly fine hair).

Hair is different, some don't get damage that easily, some don't get damage even when they bleach, believe or not.

Once I had my hair chemically straightened too (guanidine). While it took out some waves, the poufiness remained, wasn't at all what I wanted. I just wanted strands "in place". I think it washed out (yeah, lol). Whatever happened, my hair was wavy again after a few months. None of it damaged my hair, which is dyed now. The only thing that really dries it out is everyday flat iron, which I stoped years ago. Everything is grown out but the dye, which I won't grow out anytime soon.

manddd
May 11th, 2011, 10:20 AM
It seems that people either love or hate this treatment. I actually love it and do it myself at home for a fraction of the price. I use QOD max, i use a fan and open windows for ventilation and it takes me about 2 hours to complete.

My hair is pretty curly and the top layer is prone to frizzing. If i wash and leave my hair after the treatment it is still curly but there is no frizz and if i blowdy (which i do occassionally during winter) it dries pretty much straight. It also dries much quicker than it did before.

I went on an adventure week away and it tipped with rain all week but my hair was perfect, it didnt frizz even in the most windy wet weather.

I repeat the treatment every 3 months and it costs me about £6.00. I'm not sure what consequences it might have on my hair since you have to use a high heat to set the product but I never have my hair longer than waist so i can trim away at the damage if needed.

Oksana,
can you please tell a little more about what is it that you use and how?

heidi.maryke
June 4th, 2011, 10:17 PM
I had this done in August last year. My hair isn't curly but it can get poofy. It did absolutely nothing in making my hair "smoother" and after it had supposedly "worn off" my hair was not in good condition! Do not get this if you have healthy hair!

beccababesx
June 5th, 2011, 09:19 AM
I had this treatment done around 5 months ago, and regret it enormously.
I have 1b/1c hair, and my hair looked amazing walking out of the salon, but as soon as I washed it, there was no difference. At all - it was exactly the same as before. What I did notice however, and am still noticing, is that my hair, which once would stay curled for 3-4 days after using heat, now cannot hold a curl for an hour! Literally, I would curl it all, hairspray it, do my makeup, and te curl has fallen out. Not to poker straight mind you, but the weird kinky wave that is in my hair naturally.
I had it done for £240, so thats down the drain :/.
When they put it on, they use a straightened which goes to 500 degrees Celsius on wet hair, to 'seal in' the keratin, which didn't make a huge difference on my resilient medium-coarse hair, but could make fine hair crumble.

LunaMoon
June 6th, 2011, 02:48 AM
Hi! I was born in Brazil and still have part of my family living there.
The keratin treatment is just a protein treatment (and is cheap), so, has no formaldehyde. It is good for damaged hair (they say..) and doesn't work if your hair is healthy. After this treatment you have to moisture, moisture...
What people call "brazilian keratin treatment" - the expensive one - is the straightening treatment. The keratin is just one of the ingredients.
Note that, Brazilians call "treatment" everything that can make your hair "beautiful", long or short term (perms included).
As I know, in Brazil you can find amazing cheap produts for home treatment so they can keep their hair (after lots of damage) looking good. The water there is great for hair as well.
I found Brazilian hair treatment are great if you are in Brazil... For me, living in France, doesn't work well at all.

dili
December 9th, 2011, 07:47 PM
its awful!!!! i did it, first- its very toxic and even the `` formol free`` have huuuuge amounts of formol, it was even forbitten in brasil but they keep doing it hidding, i did and my hair broke off and got very damage, looks beautiful in the first month and then your hair is destroyed...and i listen about a woman who died during it...and smell sooo bad, they put a fan to you dont breath so much it, but it burns the skin and the eyes so much

Neya
December 9th, 2011, 10:40 PM
I'm just going to chime in and say any product or salon claiming formaldehyde free is essentially misinformed or lying.
The chemical is needed to restructure the hair. Why?
Well I know more what it does with nails (to harden them) which is called fixation or cross linking. Restructuring the protiens. It does the same with hair.
This is why bkt's are so effective at straightening: not because they contain keratin.

http://www.ewg.org/hair-straighteners/our-report/hair-straighteners-that-hide-formaldehyde/