PDA

View Full Version : English braid with a few French weaves

Curlsgirl
March 7th, 2008, 06:34 PM
This is probably a silly topic but I do this "style" all the time. I start about halfway down my head with a French braid but only do 2 weaves like a French and then do the rest of it English style (using ALL the hair). I love the way it looks and it anchors much better than a plain English braid. Sometimes I do it very loosely and it drapes very nicely without coming out like a plain English braid might if you did it loosely. Does anyone else do this and is it called a French braid still or what?

eadwine
March 7th, 2008, 06:39 PM
I would love to see a picture of that :)

royalscorpio
March 7th, 2008, 06:40 PM
I don't understand what you mean... do you have a picture?

Curlsgirl
March 7th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Sorry I am not very good at explaining. Actually I guess it just is a French braid but you gather a lot more hair and then pick up the rest of the hair after a couple of weaves. It just sort of "anchors" the hair better and I think looks better than a plain braid. I need to have a picture day tomorrow. I am off and it is supposed to snow so it'll be a good day!

jojo
March 7th, 2008, 06:51 PM
sounds very romantic you got any pictures?

MusingFrog
March 7th, 2008, 07:26 PM
I've worn my hair like this. I think it is quite pretty as well. It definitely anchors/looks better than a regular English braid. Even though I love how braids look I'm getting away from them at this point because I hate how they frame my face. I'm going to have to try this one again and see what my face looks like from the front. If I remember correctly, it drapes better in the front than a plain old English or French alone.

Curlsgirl
March 7th, 2008, 07:56 PM
I've worn my hair like this. I think it is quite pretty as well. It definitely anchors/looks better than a regular English braid. Even though I love how braids look I'm getting away from them at this point because I hate how they frame my face. I'm going to have to try this one again and see what my face looks like from the front. If I remember correctly, it drapes better in the front than a plain old English or French alone.

Yes I also think it looks better from the side as well. I think it looks really pretty on longer hair. I wish I could remember whose picture here inspired me. Maybe Shell? Hmmmmmm. I promise I will try to take a pic tomorrow. Mine won't look as good though. Wish I could do a search on the photo thread :)

CaraLynn
March 7th, 2008, 08:03 PM
I'm confused....pictures, maybe?? :-D

NightingaleLHC
March 7th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Yes, I've done this! It looks MUCH better than a regular english braid on me. I still call it a french, because thats the way it is at the top, we're just taking bigger sections of hair so that there are only a few weaves before we get to the english part. (at least thats what i do and I think that's what you're doing).

AnneAdeline
March 7th, 2008, 08:42 PM
This is a wonderful hairstyle that I use pretty often. I like how it doesn't take very long so my arms don't get all tired.

Only problem is that my front layers are still pretty short so they don't make it to the back of the braid. Oh well, hair grows.

Curlsgirl
March 7th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Yes, I've done this! It looks MUCH better than a regular english braid on me. I still call it a french, because thats the way it is at the top, we're just taking bigger sections of hair so that there are only a few weaves before we get to the english part. (at least thats what i do and I think that's what you're doing).

Yes that is exactly what I meant! Whew! I told you I am not very good at explaining :)

dancingbarefoot
March 7th, 2008, 09:46 PM
If you've seen 10 Things I Hate About You, that's how Kat has her hair in the last few scenes. At least if I'm understanding the description correctly.

CurlyNinja
March 7th, 2008, 09:50 PM
That sounds like a really nice idea, I'm definitely going to try it. When I do a French braid it seems to make my head look kind of weird and I'm not yet good enough at it to make it look as smooth and sleek as I can an English braid.

Melisande
March 8th, 2008, 06:10 AM
I do that too! I do use either the Dianyla method of making a V on the back of my head, separating the hair quite high up and then braiding the strands the English way... or I start French braiding one round or two, and then English out. It's quick and easy and looks a bit more polished than a normal English braid.

Xandergrammy
March 8th, 2008, 06:24 AM
Actually, I think I do that kind of braid alot because it helps to tame my wispies somewhat. I have no idea what it's called, but I love it. :grin:

FrannyG
March 8th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Oh Curlsgirl, I love that look and I do it a lot myself. I'll bet it's just lovely and romantic with your curls. :cloud9:

soobie
March 8th, 2008, 07:04 PM
I do this all the time, too. My face looks better if the side hair is pulled "back" rather than just "down", as happens when I do a plain English braid from the nape of my neck. And it contains the wispies above my ears better, too.

Oh yeah, and the site is BACK!!! Yay!

Bynnie
March 8th, 2008, 07:56 PM
This is probably a silly topic but I do this "style" all the time. I start about halfway down my head with a French braid but only do 2 weaves like a French and then do the rest of it English style (using ALL the hair). I love the way it looks and it anchors much better than a plain English braid. Sometimes I do it very loosely and it drapes very nicely without coming out like a plain English braid might if you did it loosely. Does anyone else do this and is it called a French braid still or what?

I have this style in my hair righ now. I love it as I find a full french braid 1) seems too severe if I manage to do it right or 2) doesn't hold well enough. I usually take my tow weaves to the one side though so my braid drapes over my shoulder.

Curlsgirl
March 12th, 2008, 11:55 AM
I have this style in my hair righ now. I love it as I find a full french braid 1) seems too severe if I manage to do it right or 2) doesn't hold well enough. I usually take my tow weaves to the one side though so my braid drapes over my shoulder.

Oh that is a great idea especially for traveling!

Stevy
March 12th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Oh, I'd never thought of doing that! I'm going to try it tomorrow, though.

I think we should call it Curlsgirl's Braid. :)

Curlsgirl
March 12th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Oh, I'd never thought of doing that! I'm going to try it tomorrow, though.

I think we should call it Curlsgirl's Braid. :)

Awwwwwwwww :blushes:

enfys
March 12th, 2008, 01:39 PM
I've done this as I'm rubbish at Freanch braids but like the look. I didn't know you call a normal plait an English braid. Maybe that's it. Here we consider it a braid when it is anchored in place and hurts your arms. A plain 3-strand isn't fancy enough to be a braid.

Neorah
March 12th, 2008, 02:45 PM
I actually have my hair like this today, and I often do it this way when I braid my hair in an english braid. It just lengthens it a bit, without all the hassle of actually doing a french braid:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v56/egocystic/Hair/th_31208.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v56/egocystic/Hair/31208.jpg)

ReadingRenee
March 12th, 2008, 05:36 PM
beautiful braid Neorah!

Yeah I remember reading about that hairstyle in someones journal, can't remember whose and I tried it and really liked it.

I had actually forgotten all about it so thanks for the reminder curlsgirl!

Mely
March 12th, 2008, 07:28 PM
I braid my hair like that occasionally--but I can never get it to drape. I think its too frizzy to drape.

may1em
March 12th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Half of the times I braid my hair I do it like this. It's loose enough that it doesn't hurt my head but holds way better than either type of English braid (pie type or slice type).

For the pie-type braid (I think Dianyla posted instructions a long time ago), I usually fold it under and secure with a hair slide.

Neorah
March 12th, 2008, 09:02 PM
I have no idea what it's called, but I love it.
I don't know if it has a real name or not, but I've been calling it a demi-french braid in my head. Or a "franglish" braid. :lol:

Gulbahar
March 13th, 2008, 03:12 AM
I don't really get it. For me this is still a French braid. Is there a fundamental difference? :ponder:

Nynaeve
March 31st, 2008, 05:42 PM
I do this ALL the time, and always have for as long as I can remember.
I started doing it because both regular english and regular french braids look... not so great on me.
:cheese:

I don't really get it. For me this is still a French braid. Is there a fundamental difference? :ponder:

The difference is that your normal French braid begins somewhere on the top of your head, which looks, imho, silly on some people, including myself.
This braid is one that you braid as if it is a French braid, but you start out in the area of your head where you normally begin english braids.
(if I'm understanding it right and it is the one I do all the time)
HTH

Saoirse
March 31st, 2008, 06:24 PM
Basically a French braid with only 2 or so 'weaves' or whatever you want to call them -- instead of the usual 5 or 6 on the back of the head.

jennydaesy
March 31st, 2008, 07:30 PM
I actually have my hair like this today, and I often do it this way when I braid my hair in an english braid. It just lengthens it a bit, without all the hassle of actually doing a french braid:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v56/egocystic/Hair/th_31208.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v56/egocystic/Hair/31208.jpg) i prefer it to the regular braid as well

Gulbahar
April 5th, 2008, 02:25 AM
The difference is that your normal French braid begins somewhere on the top of your head, which looks, imho, silly on some people, including myself.
This braid is one that you braid as if it is a French braid, but you start out in the area of your head where you normally begin english braids.
(if I'm understanding it right and it is the one I do all the time)
HTH
I always understood "French" as the braiding technique, no matter where the braid starts. My head would look very strange if I started the French braid on the top of my head - so I don't. ;-)

Brun
April 5th, 2008, 11:36 AM
I call it "the little sister" of the french braid. :D I like this style!

aisling
April 5th, 2008, 11:47 AM

I always understood "French" as the braiding technique, no matter where the braid starts. My head would look very strange if I started the French braid on the top of my head - so I don't. ;-)

Exactly! You just braid the French part shorter, but it's still a French braid as I've never read any length requirements for those :rolleyes: I've done this for ages but of course not thought of starting a whole thread about it. I even found an old pic (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/aisling_stein/Hair/DCP_3751.jpg) from 2006, is this what people mean?