PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder | Armpit

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66

rileykathleen
September 1st, 2013, 01:56 PM
Well, I'm a goon and forgot to say hello when I posted before. I was so stoked about the awesome antler hair toy. Haha! I'll be here for awhile though, so hello everyone! :)

I'm at about collar bone length right now and I was wondering, any good ideas for hairstyles for that length that keep it off my shoulders? Other than a ponytail or bun (which I can finally do without any clips if it's really high up! Yay!). When it was shorter, I would do french or dutch braids along my hairline and then pin the ends up/hide the tails so I had a kind of braided crown. I've been having trouble getting the ends tucked in now that my hair is a little longer though. :/ I just don't really like the way my hair feels on my shoulders so leaving the braids down drives me crazy, and I've never known anything about styling my hair. I think it's high time I learned.

stachelbeere
September 1st, 2013, 02:05 PM
Well, I'm a goon and forgot to say hello when I posted before. I was so stoked about the awesome antler hair toy. Haha! I'll be here for awhile though, so hello everyone! :)

I'm at about collar bone length right now and I was wondering, any good ideas for hairstyles for that length that keep it off my shoulders? Other than a ponytail or bun (which I can finally do without any clips if it's really high up! Yay!). When it was shorter, I would do french or dutch braids along my hairline and then pin the ends up/hide the tails so I had a kind of braided crown. I've been having trouble getting the ends tucked in now that my hair is a little longer though. :/ I just don't really like the way my hair feels on my shoulders so leaving the braids down drives me crazy, and I've never known anything about styling my hair. I think it's high time I learned.

Hi rileykathleen, welcome :D

well.. when my hair was at shoulder I discovered the sockbun and I would do the sockbun for a while.
french and dutch braids with the ends tucked in - with my hair it worked perfectly, here is a (messy!) example I just found from November last year. You can *clearly* see the hairpin...
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/998458_10151718220243022_456801896_n.jpg
what I did then and do now too is curling my hair with the headband method which shrinks the hair (if you enter 'headband curls' on youtube you'll find lots of tutorials). or wearing braid waves.
you can do French twists if you like to.
I know what you mean about not liking the feel of hair brushing against your shoulder :/ it'll get better :D

AnnaB
September 1st, 2013, 02:49 PM
Hi rileykathleen, welcome :D

well.. when my hair was at shoulder I discovered the sockbun and I would do the sockbun for a while.
french and dutch braids with the ends tucked in - with my hair it worked perfectly, here is a (messy!) example I just found from November last year. You can *clearly* see the hairpin...
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/998458_10151718220243022_456801896_n.jpg
what I did then and do now too is curling my hair with the headband method which shrinks the hair (if you enter 'headband curls' on youtube you'll find lots of tutorials). or wearing braid waves.
you can do French twists if you like to.
I know what you mean about not liking the feel of hair brushing against your shoulder :/ it'll get better :D

your hair is so pretty!! good idea about the headband method to curl hair.

browneyedsusan
September 1st, 2013, 04:59 PM
Welcome, rileykathleen!
I did Gibson tucks at CBL, low double buns, twin french or dutch braids. It is an annoying length, with your hair jumping inside your collar whenever you turn your head! I also started setting pincurls around that length. (Back in the 40's, all the ladies wore their hair in 4 to 9" layers for pincurl setting. It does take some practice, but if they figured it out, you can figure it out, right? Nothing magical about it. I still use bobbypins, and they come out just fine. Here's the tute I learned from: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elKVFr-NtIM ) You can do the Rosie the Riveter look with a bandana for fun? CBL is kind of a pain, but it will pass. :)

Pepopowitz, I'd forgotten about twists! I used to wear them all the time too! I twisted back everything in front of my ears--> mullet camoflage! (Good gravy, I pinned up everything in front of my ears for a really long time. The only person who knew how ugly it really was was ME, and I was determined to keep it that way! By the time I finally took it down, and wore it to church, a friend asked if I'd gotten EXTENSiONS! hahahahaha!)

samanthajenalyn
September 1st, 2013, 05:06 PM
i have the same problem. i am at collarbone length also, with shorter layers on top. the only hair style that i can do that will actually stay is a top knot held with a scrunchy. my layers all fall out when i wear braids, and my hair is way to thin to do a sock bun ( my hair will not cover all of the sock :( ) and with a gibson tuck, my hair will always fall through the bottom. do you have any other suggestions? :) lately ive been too worried about growth, so i'm trying to wear my hair up everyday for a couple of months so i will forget about it. I'm only into a week so far, and the top knot is all i have been able to accomplish. lol.

browneyedsusan
September 1st, 2013, 07:57 PM
Samantha: Growing out layers and bangs is a giant pain. Look at these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiMhij_J3c8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCQJ7aenX1U
Forgetting about your hair is the same strategy I used! I pinned it up really fast and tried not to look at it for a couple of months. I'd think to myself, "Self, we're not going to check our hair until Labor Day." Then when Labor Day came, I'd check it, be suprised with how much growth I'd gotten, and set another goal for later--like Thanksgiving or Christmas.

Riley: Have you tried spinpins for those braid ends? Maybe you could make little buns out of them? Maybe you could fold the ends of your braids and secure with a jaw clip? I can't stand ends either, but am trying to get used to it.

Jonathan S
September 1st, 2013, 08:21 PM
I think it will take me until about February or March 2014 for my hair to get APL from where it is now at the rate it is growing.

rileykathleen
September 1st, 2013, 10:51 PM
Thanks everyone!

stachelbeere, I'll have to try tucking the end of one braid. I love how that looks! And the headband method too; I'd forgotten all about that.

browneyedsusan, I love the gibson tuck. Right now my shorter hairs still fall out, but my hair is so close to all staying in! And I'll have to invest in some spin pins. They look like they'll stay better in my hair; my hair is so fine bobby pins tend to slip out really easy. Thank you for all the great ideas!

samanthajenalyn, That's exactly why I'm looking for new things to do with my hair. I've been obsessing over it and I want to just put it up for awhile and forget about it. It seems to grow soooo slow when I'm paying attention to the length every day!

0xalis
September 1st, 2013, 11:19 PM
Last school year I went from a little bit past the length I am now [About an inch, 2 inches, maybe?] to APL in about 6 months. [September to March] If only I could get to APL by March again :( I looked so good. You guys all have the right idea, I'm definitely going to try to just keep my hair up and not obsess over it. The only day I HAVE to wear it down is picture day and that should be this Friday, I think. Besides that though it's gonna be up all the time. I'll continue taking monthly progress pics and once-every-two-weeks pics, but that's about the only time I'll even think about looking at my hair length!

stachelbeere
September 2nd, 2013, 04:36 AM
stachelbeere, I'll have to try tucking the end of one braid. I love how that looks! And the headband method too; I'd forgotten all about that.

Thank you <3 I also wanted to add that from a bit above shoulder to CBL+ my hair was up 95% of the time anyway, I didn't like it being lose and rubbing against my clothing too. I also have a beautiful silk scarf (according to some Romanian people I bumped into last year it has a traditional Romanian flower pattern) that I like to wear around my shoulders which protects my braids now. Then, it was protecting the hair sticking out of the particular hairstyle I posted that was my go-to style last year.

your hair is so pretty!! good idea about the headband method to curl hair.

thank you :) flash photography gives hair so much shine <3

headband curls seriously are great, they make my braids and buns more voluminous :) I prefer sleeping with a headband nowadays and when I put my hair in carelessly the curls come out wonky most of the time but who cares if they will be braided in :)

I've seen youtube hair tutorials where the hair is curled with a curling iron only to be french braided. I was always like 'leave the curls alone they are so pretty alreadyyyy...'
and I'm following the same principle here only that my curls are not that pretty to begin with hehe :D so no remorse

peepopowitz
September 2nd, 2013, 04:45 AM
Welcome, rileykathleen!

Pepopowitz, I'd forgotten about twists! I used to wear them all the time too! I twisted back everything in front of my ears--> mullet camoflage! (Good gravy, I pinned up everything in front of my ears for a really long time. The only person who knew how ugly it really was was ME, and I was determined to keep it that way! By the time I finally took it down, and wore it to church, a friend asked if I'd gotten EXTENSiONS! hahahahaha!)

Mullet camouflage, indeed! Nice to be reminded that I'm not the only one who went through this stage. It seems like everyone I know with long hair actually always had long hair, so they never had to grow it out. Those lovelies just cannot relate like the LHC peeps.

samanthajenalyn
September 2nd, 2013, 12:37 PM
Thank you for those videos BrownEyedSusan. I'm going to try some of those out for my bangs.
im going to try to wear it up until its time to check my length! The only problem is that i do not like the way i look with my hair up for some reason. i really dont know what it is, but i feel like i look weird or something lol. hopefully i can stick with it though!

browneyedsusan
September 3rd, 2013, 05:59 AM
You're welcome, Samantha. I felt so isolated when growing my pixie, most women my age are going shorter, not longer. My hair looked horrible for 6 solid months, it was a smoking hot summer, and it was too long to look pixied, and too short to get off my neck! It drove me crazy, but I'm a stubborn woman; gritted my teeth, pinned it up, and muscled through.

I'm almost certain I've mentioned this before--maybe in another thread--but a sensitive scalp is common for pixie growers, or others who haven't worn their hair up at all. The first time I pinned my bangs back, I got a thumping headache after 10 minutes, and thought something was wrong with me! (I mean if I couldn't tolerate ONE teensy clip, how was I going to stand a ponytail?!? How did other women do this magical thing?) I asked in the forums and found that I just needed to keep putting it up every day and try to leave it a few minutes longer. The pressure on the follicles--from the hair laying a different way--makes them protest, but you eventually get used to it, and your brain tunes it out. Now I can put it up for about 1/2 the day, or a work shift, then take it down or arrange it different. It's pretty common here for people to re-arrange their hair throughout the day. You're not alone in the sore scalp territory.
My head is protesting the French twist--I tried last week, and SUCCESS, so I've worn it every day for a little while--so I guess I'll go make a braid! :)

samanthajenalyn
September 3rd, 2013, 11:45 AM
Yes, ive just started wearing my hair up more, and just the other day i was wearing a bun higher up on my head than usual, and when i took it down the whole left side of my scalp hurt. I didnt think it would ever stop, it lasted up until the next morning. The weird thing is, it never hurt the whole time i had it up. it wasnt until i took it down that it started bothering me. So i have to be careful of how im wearing it for right now.

rileykathleen
September 4th, 2013, 12:13 AM
Oh wow. I've never thought about it before, but you're right about your scalp being more sensitive when you've had shorter hair. That makes so much sense. When it was finally long enough I'd put my hair up for work and take my hair down at night and my head ached so bad I'd just sit and massage my scalp while wincing for awhile. I'll have to remember to ease into it more if my hair ever ends up short again. I hope it doesn't, but who knows.

joflakes
September 4th, 2013, 04:48 AM
On a slight aside, my hair is just brushing APL and it is the BEST feeling when I let my hair down at the end of the day. It's like all the follicles go "Ahhhh!" and breath a sigh of relief!

michelle483
September 4th, 2013, 06:15 AM
I posted this pic in the growing out natural color thread, but I thought I'd share it here because I'm so excited at how quickly my hair has grown! The picture on the left was taken 1 month and 10 days after the picture on the right. I had a dusting trim after that picture, and my hairstylist painted a glaze on to match my roots.

I'm glad of the fast growth rate--my hair has been damaged a lot over the years. I heat styled almost every day and highlighted it.

http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab191/stoneagemom/CameraZOOM-20130831115504997_zps0e5d3c7b.jpg (http://s863.photobucket.com/user/stoneagemom/media/CameraZOOM-20130831115504997_zps0e5d3c7b.jpg.html)

browneyedsusan
September 4th, 2013, 07:28 AM
APL, JoFlakes! YAY!!!

Holy thud, Michelle! Excellent growth! You'll be WL by Christmas! :thumbsup:

joflakes
September 4th, 2013, 08:22 AM
APL, JoFlakes! YAY!!!

Thanks browneyedsusan! I got my DBF to measure it and he said it is just touching it. Even better, he says I am only 2 inches from BSL! I hope I'll hit it by the end of the year! :o :toast:

Michelle, your hair grows SO FAST! I'm really jealous! It looks awesome as well. Well done!

Deloria87
September 4th, 2013, 09:14 AM
I posted this pic in the growing out natural color thread, but I thought I'd share it here because I'm so excited at how quickly my hair has grown! The picture on the left was taken 1 month and 10 days after the picture on the right. I had a dusting trim after that picture, and my hairstylist painted a glaze on to match my roots.

I'm glad of the fast growth rate--my hair has been damaged a lot over the years. I heat styled almost every day and highlighted it.

http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab191/stoneagemom/CameraZOOM-20130831115504997_zps0e5d3c7b.jpg (http://s863.photobucket.com/user/stoneagemom/media/CameraZOOM-20130831115504997_zps0e5d3c7b.jpg.html)

Oh my gosh, how has that grown so much in a month? my hair is about the shorter length on the right at the moment :)

silver curls
September 4th, 2013, 11:01 AM
My transition to natural Long hair so far.
Pics are 2/2/12 to 8/21/13:
http://fotos.fotoflexer.com/38f747daa376ba65f8a485ea530976d0.jpg

samanthajenalyn
September 4th, 2013, 01:06 PM

Wow! Your hair has grown so fast in that short amount of time. It looks very good :)

0xalis
September 4th, 2013, 06:29 PM

Your hair is beautiful and I am so freaking jealous of your growth! that's fantastic! congratulations!

0xalis
September 4th, 2013, 06:29 PM
My transition to natural Long hair so far.
Pics are 2/2/12 to 8/21/13:
http://fotos.fotoflexer.com/38f747daa376ba65f8a485ea530976d0.jpg

yeah girl rock them greys! your hair is so pretty and silvery~

Nadine <3
September 4th, 2013, 08:55 PM
I'm at shoulder length now, growing to APL. UHHHG, I seriously have very little patience for hair growing. I was singing "let it grow" from the Lorax while I brushed it this morning. LOL maybe that will help...

Nesoi
September 5th, 2013, 03:26 AM
Wow, michelle483, what fantastic growth! I'm jealous!!

I thought it was time for me to scoot on over here from the super-shorties thread, as my hair is now definitely brushing my shoulders. In fact, did anyone else startle a little the first time they felt that happen? I'd forgotten what that sensation was like :)

I'm having a problem with drying at the moment. I air-dry, and as my hair is wavy, I try not to touch it while I do so, in order to minimise frizz. However, because I have some chin-length layers (ugh) from growing out my pixie, and my hair doesn't seem to have any real natural 'part' as such, it falls in my face ALL THE TIME while it's drying. It's so annoying, and I find myself touching it just to get it out of my face. I don't want to tuck it behind my ear because that gives me an unfortunate dent which really emphasises the dang layers.

Right now I have very loosely pinned it back with a claw clip. Do you think that is the best way? Anyone else suffer with hair-in-mouth disease?

Edit: When it's dry I pin or braid or twist the front back, but I thought I'm not supposed to manipulate it when it's wet.

michelle483
September 5th, 2013, 10:14 AM
APL, JoFlakes! YAY!!!

Ha! That would be nice!

It will definitely be interesting for me to see my hair's condition in 6-12 months after a lot of the damage is grown out. I reeeeallly abused my hair!

However, I think from the inside, I've been doing things right. My diet has been very nutritionally dense for about 10 years. I learned about paleo back then and have been eating really well since then. And over the last 2 years, I've stepped up the game a lot with improving the quality even more. Grass-fed and pastured meat products, I render my own tallow and lard, eat coconut oil, include lots of bone broth and other collagen-rich foods, liver and other organ meats, fish, clams, oysters, and of course veggies (though I think veggies are terribly overrated). I also make sure to get vitamin D (no sunscreen) and supplement a little in the winter. I supplement with fermented cod liver oil/butter oil. I think it is soooo important to get some of those vital fat-soluble nutrients if you truly want your hair to be its best.

Years ago, I did a lot more endurance exercising/running and ate what I thought was healthy. I had a lot of trouble with allopecia, shedding, etc.

I read a little in the thread about people eating natural-food diets like paleo or Weston-price. I think in many cases it takes YEARS to really see the difference. In addition, many people do "paleo" but don't focus on some of the quality aspects and don't include bone broths, gelatin, etc, which is a huge mistake.

My goal to grow out my hair color and stop the heat damage is actually from this paleo/natural foods journey.

browneyedsusan
September 5th, 2013, 10:48 AM
IMHO:
Diet and exercise are important for overall health, and hair and skin and blood pressure and all of that. I think growth rate is genetic. I eat well and exercise and will never have the growth rate you do, and I'm fine with it. I like a beer now and then. I eat wild game and red meat. I drink coffee like it's my job. It's hair. It grows every day. I'll make more. I'm going to defrost some ground beef for supper. :blossom:

joflakes
September 5th, 2013, 01:05 PM
Ha! That would be nice!

It will definitely be interesting for me to see my hair's condition in 6-12 months after a lot of the damage is grown out. I reeeeallly abused my hair!

However, I think from the inside, I've been doing things right. My diet has been very nutritionally dense for about 10 years. I learned about paleo back then and have been eating really well since then. And over the last 2 years, I've stepped up the game a lot with improving the quality even more. Grass-fed and pastured meat products, I render my own tallow and lard, eat coconut oil, include lots of bone broth and other collagen-rich foods, liver and other organ meats, fish, clams, oysters, and of course veggies (though I think veggies are terribly overrated). I also make sure to get vitamin D (no sunscreen) and supplement a little in the winter. I supplement with fermented cod liver oil/butter oil. I think it is soooo important to get some of those vital fat-soluble nutrients if you truly want your hair to be its best.

Years ago, I did a lot more endurance exercising/running and ate what I thought was healthy. I had a lot of trouble with allopecia, shedding, etc.

I read a little in the thread about people eating natural-food diets like paleo or Weston-price. I think in many cases it takes YEARS to really see the difference. In addition, many people do "paleo" but don't focus on some of the quality aspects and don't include bone broths, gelatin, etc, which is a huge mistake.

My goal to grow out my hair color and stop the heat damage is actually from this paleo/natural foods journey.

just my piece but I'm vegan and have no animal products in my diet and get a good growth rate, minimal shedding and my hair is good! Diet is a factor I'm sure, but everyone and their hair likes different things. I kinda agree with browneyedsusan as well :)

:cool:

Neecola
September 5th, 2013, 01:56 PM
Agreed that there is no one-size-fits-all diet (or haircare for that matter!) and congrats on finding out what works for you, michelle483!

michelle483
September 5th, 2013, 02:32 PM
Agreed that there is no one-size-fits-all diet (or haircare for that matter!) and congrats on finding out what works for you, michelle483!

Definitely. I just enjoy reading about what works &/or doesn't work with other people & thought I'd share. I agree that genetics have a lot to do with growth rate but in many cases overall heath is an important factor. Genetically, the side where I get my hair from has increasingly thin/balding/scraggly hair. It quite frankly scares me a bit. Aging can be a huge factor on overall heath and as a result, hair. I turn 37 this month, and what worked for me in my early 20s started to not work for me after I turned 30. When I started getting bald spots, all I could see was my grandma and aunth's hair, who at a youngish age started getting "see-through" hair. If there was a way to avoid that, I was going to find it. In addition, what worked before having a child changed after the hormone shifts from pregnancy. I think it is important to always be open to different ideas and be willing to change your routine, whether that be on external care for hair or for heath. I know I am continually tweaking things based upon new things I learn.:D

BlondeWavyGal
September 5th, 2013, 03:45 PM
Just... another.. two.. maybe three.. inches. I've got low shoulders so my brastrap comes up higher but APL looks futher away, so its gonna be a long journey down but a short journey further. Lets hope for goal length by next feb! at this rate, im sure I can manage. BSL isnt much further after all.

browneyedsusan
September 6th, 2013, 06:04 AM
Oh gosh! Looking back at that: I sound horribly snippy! :whip:
Good gravy, I am not like that! --Usually. I have my moments, and it seems that moment was yesterday at 12:48...--
I apologize, Michelle483!

Yours in dietary bliss,
Mrs. SnippyPants
:gobblecheese:

michelle483
September 6th, 2013, 06:26 AM
Oh gosh! Looking back at that: I sound horribly snippy! :whip:
Good gravy, I am not like that! --Usually. I have my moments, and it seems that moment was yesterday at 12:48...--
I apologize, Michelle483!

Yours in dietary bliss,
Mrs. SnippyPants
:gobblecheese:

LOL, no worries. And looking back, I think I may have sounded a bit preachy! :) Which I don't mean. And I didn't want to hijack the discussion. I just get very excited about these things.

browneyedsusan
September 6th, 2013, 06:48 AM
All is right with the world. :meditate:

*attempts to put the train back on the tracks*
I "think" I have 1 1/2" to go to APL, but it's a shame I can't tell what I'm looking at. Every time I towel test, the line wanders an inch or two either way.

I've been wearing hairsticks every day for about a week--because they're so comfortable, easy, and look COMPLICATED--hahaha, our little secret!--, but can only wear a frenchroll. Are any of you able to wear hairsticks in a different updo?

Deloria87
September 6th, 2013, 07:05 AM
Oh I wish my genetics worked for me...my sister's all have hair around waist length! :( which part of our genetic build up do I need to go and steal from them while they're sleeping? :D

Nique1202
September 7th, 2013, 05:53 AM
I had mom measure my hair today to avoid fumbly fingers and I'm now officially passing the towel test when stretched! However, my hair is definitely getting curlier as it gets longer, because now I'm losing a full 1.5 inches to curl in the back, and I'm about a half inch off the towel. When it's short it gets wavy, but when it gets long apparently it likes to make wide ringlets near the bottom. So frustrating! I was hoping to be full APL by the end of summer, but with the increasing curl it's like my hair doesn't WANT me to move on! :laugh: Oh well, I'll get there eventually.

http://i43.tinypic.com/1z4js77.jpg

The angle is a bit off, and my head was tilted back a bit in the picture on the right, but you can see how close I am. SO CLOSE! AND YET SO FAR!

I found the red was getting too hard to maintain, my roots and ends weren't taking the dye evenly and I even had stripes of different shades of copper near the roots, so I tried to use a cool/ash medium brown but it went to a gorgeous natural black. I'm almost tempted to keep dyeing it this colour, now! So luxurious~ haha

[EDIT] I just realized while editing it that I'm gonna have to make my siggy pic longer soon! What a great problem to have. LOL!

lazuliblue
September 7th, 2013, 06:47 AM
I'm at 52.5cm...WHY IS THIS TAKING SO LONG?!?! :p

It's actually growing at a very quick rate (thanks to genetics) so I'm grateful. It grew 0.5cm in 2 weeks, which is pretty good going (I think!) I'm still 2 inches or so away from APL.

peepopowitz
September 7th, 2013, 07:31 AM
I have just one word to say today: layers.

browneyedsusan
September 7th, 2013, 07:37 AM
For fun:
Dear Sister shared this site with me: http://www.youtube.com/user/K8bryan/videos, and while I'm not a fan of her love of heat tools, she has some cute and simple ideas for our length hair.

littleghost
September 8th, 2013, 07:58 PM
http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/7029/3df0.jpg

So here's a recent growth picture. I like my growth rate and hope it continues!

0xalis
September 8th, 2013, 08:36 PM
I wish my hair would just grow an inch in a month TT^TT It feels like I have so long to go before APL... but on the bright side I got new claw clips and I can do some very sturdy up-dos with them! And I have some very exciting news... my hair got thicker!!! At some point a while ago [possibly even before the big chop] I had measured my ponytail circumference and it was 2.5'', and then it got to 3'' and stayed there for a while... but yesterday I measured again [multiple times] and my ponytail circumference is now 3.25''!!! I was so worried about the stress shedding I'd been doing but apparently I don't have anything to worry about :lol: My hair has always been on the thinner side because I have a lot of hair but the strands are very thin, so gaining thickness is a serious plus for me!

browneyedsusan
September 12th, 2013, 06:52 AM
Random thing to share:

My natural part has migrated to the center. (I've worn it parted diagonally from my right eyebrow across the top of my head for 15 years.) I look like a hippie.

sarahthegemini
September 12th, 2013, 08:16 AM
I feel like I'm so far away from APL, and because my waves are so unpredictable, one day my hair will look longer and the next, shorter. It's frustrating. Gahhhhhhhh!

alimc
September 12th, 2013, 11:41 AM
It really does seem to take for-eeeeeeeever to get thro this stage doesn't it sarahthegemini??! Maybe we're being taught the 'well don't cut it off again' lesson... I know I'll NEVER be going short again.. (If I can help it!)

Neecola
September 12th, 2013, 11:45 AM
I wore my hair down yesterday and while it didn't feel long, it didn't really feel short either! Today I have the hair on each side of my face twisted into a rope braid and pinned in the center of the back of my head. There was plenty of length on each braid still left at the end of the pins. :happydance:

stachelbeere
September 12th, 2013, 03:08 PM
Yeah. I've been hoping to 'graduate' from this thread like a month ago. It is not happening with the towel test. it's *probably* because I am holding it too low :P
on the bright side people who haven't see me for a while say how long my hair has gotten :D yaaays

samanthajenalyn
September 12th, 2013, 05:04 PM
I measured my hair for the first time ever today, and it came out around 19.5 inches. But it's only at my collarbone, and when I look at a hair length chart it says that 20 inches is around mid-back. and i'm definitely not even close to that. am I doing it wrong? I took a piece of string and put it right at my hairline, and let it drape over the back of my head, and cut where the ends of my hair met the string.

XcaliburGirl
September 12th, 2013, 05:26 PM
I measured my hair for the first time ever today, and it came out around 19.5 inches. But it's only at my collarbone, and when I look at a hair length chart it says that 20 inches is around mid-back. and i'm definitely not even close to that. am I doing it wrong? I took a piece of string and put it right at my hairline, and let it drape over the back of my head, and cut where the ends of my hair met the string.

From the hairline is correct, or at least it's the most popular way to measure on this forum. So, I think the way you measured with the string is fine. Personally, I usually lay my tape measure over my head with 0" behind me, then I reach back and match up the ends of my hair with the end of the measure, looking in the mirror to get the number at my hairline.

What chart are you looking at? 19.5 inches sounds about right for somewhere between shoulder and APL. I'm at 25" and not yet MBL. The measurements are going to be different depending on height/build, but I would say the chart you are seeing could be measured some other way than from the hairline.

samanthajenalyn
September 12th, 2013, 05:30 PM
From the hairline is correct, or at least it's the most popular way to measure on this forum. So, I think the way you measured with the string is fine. Personally, I usually lay my tape measure over my head with 0" behind me, then I reach back and match up the ends of my hair with the end of the measure, looking in the mirror to get the number at my hairline.

What chart are you looking at? 19.5 inches sounds about right for somewhere between shoulder and APL. I'm at 25" and not yet MBL. The measurements are going to be different depending on height/build, but I would say the chart you are seeing could be measured some other way than from the hairline.

Okay, good! Thank you! :)
I was using this chart : http://www.chlwigs.com/faq/hair_length_chart.jpg

XcaliburGirl
September 12th, 2013, 05:47 PM
Okay, good! Thank you! :)
I was using this chart : http://www.chlwigs.com/faq/hair_length_chart.jpg
Hmm, I'm not sure how wigs are measured, but maybe they measure each individual strand and so the ones at the nape fall lower on the body? :shrug:

Haybop
September 13th, 2013, 01:02 AM
That chart must be for wig measurements else I'd be beyond APL by now ;P In the nicest possible way to all you lovely people, I just want to graduate from this thread ;D

Nique1202
September 13th, 2013, 05:53 AM
I'm near the end of my 2-year college program, and yesterday the girl who started with me commented about how long my hair is looking these days. I was so happy to hear that! lol It was up around earlobe/chin length when we started so it certainly has grown an awful lot since then.

In the nicest possible way to all you lovely people, I just want to graduate from this thread ;D

I can completely relate to this statement. My unpredictable wave patterns mean that some days I'm there and some days I'm not even close. I'm reluctant to call it done just yet because of that, even though I'm so eager to get on with it. lol

browneyedsusan
September 13th, 2013, 06:22 AM
I'm not checking again until after Halloween.
It seems like
it's
taking
forever!

:justy:

0xalis
September 13th, 2013, 10:37 PM
I'm thinking of growing out my bangs while I grow to APL as a distraction cause the changes are a lot more noticable :lol: And then when I reach my goal, I can hack them off again :p

WilfredAllen
September 13th, 2013, 10:45 PM
I'm thinking of growing out my bangs while I grow to APL as a distraction cause the changes are a lot more noticable :lol: And then when I reach my goal, I can hack them off again :p

we can be twinsies! I look so ugly and awkward right now! shoulder-APL isn't a good look on my and my half grown-out bangs make me look like an '80's person.

I will be a beautiful butterfly in 4 months though, I promise

BlondeWavyGal
September 14th, 2013, 03:39 AM
It feels APL but I know its not. Anyone else get that? it looks longer, but measuring up.. it just isnt. I'll join you guys in waiting till halloween, I need to get my mind off it and just let it grow at its own pace.

browneyedsusan
September 16th, 2013, 05:53 AM
Today I snooped the forums for updos, thought I MIGHT have enough hair for a lazy wrap bun, and it HELD. Pencils go with everything, don't they? hahahaha! Like I even care! It HELD! ;)

Neneka
September 16th, 2013, 07:08 AM
:justy: I have had to do two trims during a month. I got some damage year ago from wearing a helmet every day at work for 3 months and now that damage is on my ends. I still don't have splits but the ends stick together and feel raggedy. I clarify regularly so I know it's not build-up. It's old mechanical damage. It will be sooo long until I reach APL now! Luckily oiling helps a bit. Yesterday I used so much oil on my ends after washing that I thought it will be really oily but the ends have sucked it up and now they feel really good. Maybe I just need to use more oil. I wish I won't have to trim it for at least two months.

I also cut a side swept bangs today. I wanted some hair around my face when I wear it up and soften my look a bit. I am quite sure I won't regret this although I kind of did it on a whim. I have also been happy about dyeing my hair brown. I can see growth! I have some roots so my hair must be growing anyway. :D

Stray_mind
September 16th, 2013, 07:42 AM
Dying your hair is a really good way to track your growth :D Yeah, it seems like it's taking forever. I soo hope that i'll get to APL by christmas or at least new year... :pray:

Neecola
September 16th, 2013, 10:22 AM
I think I am going to call my length WPSL - Well Past Shoulder Length - because I think I will be here for quite a while :laugh:

stachelbeere
September 16th, 2013, 11:54 AM
I think I am going to call my length WPSL - Well Past Shoulder Length - because I think I will be here for quite a while :laugh:

I call it preAPL :P

0xalis
September 16th, 2013, 06:28 PM
we can be twinsies! I look so ugly and awkward right now! shoulder-APL isn't a good look on my and my half grown-out bangs make me look like an '80's person.

I will be a beautiful butterfly in 4 months though, I promise

So I remembered that I'm wearing my hair up every day... growing out my bangs is SO not a good idea! :p lol

0xalis
September 16th, 2013, 06:40 PM
So I have some fantastic news! While my hair wavy falls at exactly collarbone length, when I pull it straight and measure it, I only have about 2'' left! That's about 4 months for me! *squeeling* Honestly, even though the wave takes a lot out of my length [though you wouldn't think so by just looking at it] I will be more than happy when my hair is APL held straight. I have a rib that sticks out about halfway between collarbone and APL so that's one of my mini-goals along the way :lol:

Neecola
September 17th, 2013, 12:37 PM
Haha, true stachelbeere, we are in the pre-APL thread!

Emily, your using your ribs for mini-milestones made me laugh... cute idea!

Liz_park
September 17th, 2013, 10:25 PM
Hello everyone! I have decided to join this thread to support all of you and to hopefully get support growing through this rather awkward stage!

I am just past shoulder now, hoping for APL by the end of the year! I am finding this stage most difficult for 2 reasons:
1) My hair flips up at my shoulders :(
2) I have a few layers still in my hair, at about shoulder length.

It is taking all the strength I have not to do a big chop! I've decided that I am going to grow my hair to BSL and then do microtrims from there until all the layers are gone.

0xalis
September 18th, 2013, 01:07 AM
Welcome, Liz! You're in the right place! :D
My hair likes to flip out, too, and because of it I lose so much length :(
Good on you for staying strong and away from the scissors~ :lol:

alimc
September 18th, 2013, 01:19 AM
Hi Liz!! Welcome! My hair drive me bonkers at the flip-up stage too but you will get thro it, just try and ignore your hair for a wee while (easier said than done!!!).

Nique1202
September 18th, 2013, 03:40 AM
Hello everyone! I have decided to join this thread to support all of you and to hopefully get support growing through this rather awkward stage!

I am just past shoulder now, hoping for APL by the end of the year! I am finding this stage most difficult for 2 reasons:
1) My hair flips up at my shoulders :(
2) I have a few layers still in my hair, at about shoulder length.

It is taking all the strength I have not to do a big chop! I've decided that I am going to grow my hair to BSL and then do microtrims from there until all the layers are gone.
If you can wear it up, whether in a stick bun, a fork, a claw clip, a ponytail, any way to keep it off your shoulders, it becomes a lot easier to ignore. Try every style, you never know what might work! I wore Gibson Tucks for weeks when I was at that stage, just to keep it off my neck and shoulders and out of my mind. And now, I'm aaaalmost at APL!

You can make it, I promise. Be strong! If you grow it and you don't like it longer, you can always cut it back, but if you cut it now you'll never know if you'll like it long!

Stray_mind
September 18th, 2013, 05:58 AM
My hair does the flipping up thingy too. I wonder why.

browneyedsusan
September 18th, 2013, 06:00 AM
If you can wear it up, whether in a stick bun, a fork, a claw clip, a ponytail, any way to keep it off your shoulders, it becomes a lot easier to ignore. Try every style, you never know what might work! I wore Gibson Tucks for weeks when I was at that stage, just to keep it off my neck and shoulders and out of my mind. And now, I'm aaaalmost at APL!

You can make it, I promise. Be strong! If you grow it and you don't like it longer, you can always cut it back, but if you cut it now you'll never know if you'll like it long!

I love that!
Somehow, the idea of wearing a hairdo for "weeks on end" never occurred to me until I started growing out my pixie. Then, I twisted back my bangs for MONTHS! LOL! Pin it up. Pretend it's fabulous. Repeat! :lala: In 6 months, it will be a different head of hair. Really!

-------------

My hair looks longer when it's dry, and seems to be past APL today?!! I'm meeting another TLHC member for lunch today--we meet 3 or 4 times a year and talk "hair"--and will ask her about it.

Liz_park
September 18th, 2013, 09:25 AM

Awww congrats on being almost-APL! :) This is sound advice, thank you! I think it's best if I can ignore and protect it for the next few months. It's long enough to wear it up, so I will start doing this more often.

Thank you Emily and alimc as well! It's so nice to chat with folks that understand my hair woes! Haha.

Liz_park
September 18th, 2013, 09:29 AM

Awww congrats on being almost-APL! :) This is sound advice, thank you! I think it's best if I can ignore and protect it for the next few months. It's long enough to wear it up, so I will start doing this more often.

Thank you Emily and alimc as well! It's so nice to chat with folks that understand my hair woes! Haha.

And Emily, I love your bangs!

Nique1202
September 18th, 2013, 09:56 AM
I love that!
Somehow, the idea of wearing a hairdo for "weeks on end" never occurred to me until I started growing out my pixie. Then, I twisted back my bangs for MONTHS! LOL! Pin it up. Pretend it's fabulous. Repeat! :lala: In 6 months, it will be a different head of hair. Really!

Yup, that's pretty much it. You can convince yourself of just about anything if you keep repeating it over and over. LOL!

Thank you! And yes, benign neglect is one of the most efficient ways to grow hair if you can ignore it for long enough at a time. Just like it takes forever for the kettle to boil when you watch it, it takes forever for hair to grow when you're measuring and photographing it every day, but if you leave it alone for a bit, it feels more like a sudden jump in growth and is much more satisfying. :happydance:

alimc
September 18th, 2013, 11:35 AM
My hair does the flipping up thingy too. I wonder why. I wonder if its a lack of weight?? It is quite frustrating! I'm nearly at APL and even now if I do pigtail braids the ends still want to flip up... :rolleyes:

stachelbeere
September 18th, 2013, 11:45 AM
I think I reached APL... I took some pictures today and it looks like I'm finally there :) also, I kind of 'passed' the towel test and I'm past APL in the front. will post pictures when I manage to take some nice ones ;)

Liz_park
September 18th, 2013, 11:59 AM
I think I reached APL... I took some pictures today and it looks like I'm finally there :) also, I kind of 'passed' the towel test and I'm past APL in the front. will post pictures when I manage to take some nice ones ;)

That is so exciting! Congrats! I anxiously await the day that I pass "the towel test"!

stachelbeere
September 18th, 2013, 12:01 PM
okay I decided to upload a picture - it's not the best picture ever but it shows the length :) so? what do you guys think? Am I APL? :) Am I, am I?!

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag76/stachelbeere/hair/ash%20brown%20roots%20and%20henna/hair%20length%20shots/_0016203_copy_zps80f38819.jpg

also: 'towel' test:

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag76/stachelbeere/hair/ash%20brown%20roots%20and%20henna/hair%20length%20shots/_0016205_ok_zps49667fbe.jpg

Neecola
September 18th, 2013, 01:52 PM
Looks like it to me, stachelbeere! Congrats!! :cheer:

Liz_park
September 18th, 2013, 01:54 PM
Oh totally! You are there, my friend! Congrats! Now you can graduate to the APL to BSL thread!! Yaaay! ;)

alimc
September 18th, 2013, 02:25 PM
Good work! Hoping to see you soon in the next stage.. Well done stachelbeere!! :toast:

stachelbeere
September 19th, 2013, 05:04 AM
Looks like it to me, stachelbeere! Congrats!! :cheer:

Oh totally! You are there, my friend! Congrats! Now you can graduate to the APL to BSL thread!! Yaaay! ;)

Good work! Hoping to see you soon in the next stage.. Well done stachelbeere!! :toast:

YESSSSSSSSSSS....!!!! Thanks a lot :D I'll see you 'on the other side' :P I'm so glad I reached APL, it's so exciting to see that my hair can grow that long and that it doesn't look like my hair would want to stop anytime soon hehehe :D :D :D

stachelbeere
September 19th, 2013, 05:18 AM
also: posting the best photo I could find of my hair from around last year. minus 20 days or something. The beginning of September.
here - the photo is super big (https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/976667_10151676305113022_352075672_o.jpg)

browneyedsusan
September 19th, 2013, 05:55 AM
Congratulations, Stachelbeere! Your hair looks great! Very pretty ends! :beercheer:

Met with another TLHC'er for lunch yesterday. She snapped a pic for my siggy, and said it was APL if stretched, but I'd be rock solid at Halloween time! :) This should be a piece of cake: I got through growing a pixie to shoulder, ao waiting another month for APL is small potatoes, eh?

BlondeWavyGal
September 19th, 2013, 06:09 AM
So many people making it!
It feels like shoulder to APL is a giant no mans land. It starts feeling like its getting longer, but it looks no where close!

I hope most of us can make it by halloween or at least the end of this year, onto reaching for BSL in 2014!

stachelbeere
September 19th, 2013, 06:24 AM
Congratulations, Stachelbeere! Your hair looks great! Very pretty ends! :beercheer:

Met with another TLHC'er for lunch yesterday. She snapped a pic for my siggy, and said it was APL if stretched, but I'd be rock solid at Halloween time! :) This should be a piece of cake: I got through growing a pixie to shoulder, ao waiting another month for APL is small potatoes, eh?

Thanks! I'm super excited :)

And I have to say that your hair grows super fast! Last year late April my hair was...this long (https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/288188_10151322576003022_176457695_o.jpg) and here's another pic (https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/288185_10151322576308022_2008460034_o.jpg) so wow! amazing

Haybop
September 19th, 2013, 06:50 AM
So many people making it!
It feels like shoulder to APL is a giant no mans land. It starts feeling like its getting longer, but it looks no where close!

I hope most of us can make it by halloween or at least the end of this year, onto reaching for BSL in 2014!

I know, I come back on here after a few days (week+ - sorry) of not reading and look at what I've missed!! Congrats!!

I'm hoping for APL+ by christmas :D

Liz_park
September 19th, 2013, 11:06 AM

browneyedsusan, I love your September photo! You are really growing! I think you'll definitely have a solid APL within a month! Way to go!

Neecola
September 19th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Your hair does grow fast, browneyedsusan! Looks great!

Nadine <3
September 19th, 2013, 06:21 PM
Come on hair, grow grow grow! I'm tired of being at shoulder with short layers that I can't do anything with!! Grrr...

0xalis
September 19th, 2013, 11:18 PM
My mom found me some new claw clips for my hair today, so i have something to keep me entertained :lol:
I should be APL stretched some time between December and February. Aiming for the end of January, when 2nd semester starts.
I am really really hoping to be solid APL, maybe even past APL, before graduation in June.

Come on hair, grow grow grow! I'm tired of being at shoulder with short layers that I can't do anything with!! Grrr...

I know that feeling... uhg...

UPDATE!!! It's messy but I managed to get my hair to stay in a bun using a pencil!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6469&d=1379660548
I didn't like the noises I heard trying to get the pencil through O_O I heard what sounded like breakage... I dislike that very much. However it holds well and is very comfortable so that's a plus.
Besides, I probably damage my hair more by constantly touching it and re-doing my updo multiple times throughout the day...
[the hairs on my neck are from having shaved a small portion of my nape hair- I'm currently growing that out and it's too short for any up-do.]

browneyedsusan
September 20th, 2013, 05:48 AM
Good job, Emilylightning! I can't seem to make cinnabuns work at all!

I can sort of do this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb-CDSW1euU
I think more layers and/or thinner hair helps it work at shorter lengths.

Thanks all, for the growth compliments! I think it grows 1/2" a month, and I've had one trim--to even up the grown-out pixie layers. My friends think it's getting super long, though! (Their frame of reference is middle-aged soccer moms.)

Neecola
September 20th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Yay, Emily! First bun is a big milestone :)

Browneyedsusan, I left you a visitor message to see if you wouldn't mind sharing a link to a tutorial for the french roll thingy (technical term) you were wearing with your awesome antler fork... do you have one? Or can you explain how you did it? Thanks!

silver curls
September 21st, 2013, 06:10 AM
okay I decided to upload a picture - it's not the best picture ever but it shows the length :) so? what do you guys think? Am I APL? :) Am I, am I?!

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag76/stachelbeere/hair/ash%20brown%20roots%20and%20henna/hair%20length%20shots/_0016203_copy_zps80f38819.jpg

also: 'towel' test:

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag76/stachelbeere/hair/ash%20brown%20roots%20and%20henna/hair%20length%20shots/_0016205_ok_zps49667fbe.jpg

:cheese:Congratulations!!!:cheese:
And thanks for showing the "towel test"! (:thud:I was gonna ask what it was...)

Nique1202
September 21st, 2013, 11:23 AM
So I was playing with doing half-up buns, because my hair is long enough to do those for practice even though I hate how half-ups look on me, and my hair got caught under my armpit in the front! A good bit of it, too, even though my head was straight up. The wurls in the back are still just brushing the towel most days, but I think it's time for me to call APL done and graduate to the next thread!:joy:

Hopefully most of you won't be too far behind and I'll see you soon! :cheer:

silver curls
September 21st, 2013, 11:42 AM
Congrats Nique!!!:)
I hope I'm not too far behind too!!!:pray:

0xalis
September 22nd, 2013, 02:32 PM
Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh. I need to rant.
This girl on tumblr posted a picture of her hip-length hair... and apparently it only took her TWO YEARS to get there from a long pixie!!!!!!!!!! THAT IS SO NOT FAIR.
I am so ANGRY!!!!!!!! It's entirely possible I won't even be full APL by my 2 year mark!!!!!!!!!!! D:< :steam:
And I know her, too. We follow eachother. I just need to cry for a bit.

Liz_park
September 22nd, 2013, 02:46 PM
This girl on tumblr posted a picture of her hip-length hair... and apparently it only took her TWO YEARS to get there from a long pixie!!!!!!!!!! THAT IS SO NOT FAIR.
I am so ANGRY!!!!!!!! It's entirely possible I won't even be full APL by my 2 year mark!!!!!!!!!!! D:< :steam:

Really? Two years? I find that really difficult to believe. Unless she is really short (like...hobbit short) I don't think it's possible. Hair growth rates fluctuate a bit, but all the research that I've read says that most people grow about 1/2 inch per month. Even if she doubled that rate, without trims, she should only be at BSL after two years if she is an average-height person. Are we absolutely certain that she didn't put in a whole bunch of extensions? Or miscount the years it took her to get there? ;)

I have definitely been guilty of hair envy. But I think the best thing about joining TLHC is that when you compare my hair now to my hair any other time in the history of being me, it's in way better shape now. It's less heat-damaged, it's growing nicely; it's a bit shorter than I would like, but that will change with time.

You are doing great, developing great hair habits, you have super cute bangs...you'll get there!

0xalis
September 22nd, 2013, 04:03 PM
Thank you, Liz, that makes me feel a lot better :3 :D

AAAND~ I have a super exciting thing to share: when my hair is wet and pulled straight, it's JUST to that rib between collarbone and APL! My hair is even becoming noticeably past collarbone when dry and wavy. I think it looks about an inch past. A lot of the time it falls directly onto collarbone so this is awesome!! Yaaaay~

WoolSweater
September 22nd, 2013, 04:39 PM
Hello, all.
I'm just past shoulder length from a haircut gone wrong in January '13. It was lobbed off to mouth-level (I accidentally made the hair dresser upset and before I knew it, my hair was gone.). After a couple months of crying just about every time I looked at my hair in the morning, I decided to go full-out on pampering my hair. I currently take supplements and use only the most natural, gentle hair products. Before, I thought that no products=healthy hair, but now I am finding out I was wrong. Even though it's still much too short for my liking, my hair is in the best shape it's been in years. My goal isn't too long (it looks silly on me), maybe to BSL. Once I get there, then I can decide if I like it that length or to continue growing it out a little more... but no longer than upper waist.
I've been a lurker since my haircut, but recently decided to make an account to chime in here and there. So, cheers to everyone growing theirs out!

stachelbeere
September 22nd, 2013, 05:22 PM
:cheese:Congratulations!!!:cheese:
And thanks for showing the "towel test"! (:thud:I was gonna ask what it was...)

thanks!!! :Star: :heartbeat :Star: :heartbeat :Star:

and really the trick with the 'towel' test is to squeeze the towel REALLY tightly with your arms and have it snugly around your back (it also has to be really high up in your pits) so that the towel (or whatever it is you're using) doesn't slip lower. If it slips you fail the test :P hehe

stachelbeere
September 22nd, 2013, 05:35 PM

oh, emilylightning ... don't feel that way, people like to exaggerate on the Internet, you know that, don't you? unless she's a dwarf :P

but seriously... what helped me overcome the fact that my hair grows rather slowly (I'm sure it's even less than 1/2 inch per month) is googling 'medium length hairstyles' and realising that people actually get their hair cut to that length and that it can look really beautiful, you just need to change your attitude. collarbone length is actually a great length for lots of styles, you can make half-ups, curl your hair, then braid it into voluminous braids, there are just so many options. I even read an article about a woman who deliberately cuts her hair specifically to that length and loves it with all its attributes.

I know it's easy to have hair envy but just try to embrace your length and what you can do with it :o

WoolSweater
September 22nd, 2013, 05:54 PM
On the "Tumblr girl" thing, I have a friend who has hair to her tailbone that only took her two years to grow out. When she started, it was a shaggy short bob. Incredible! I do think some people can have very fast-growing hair. I am a wee bit jealous I admit, but it's funny... she doesn't like her hair because she thinks it's too thin! It's that "grass is always greener on the other side" thing.

silver curls
September 22nd, 2013, 06:44 PM
I wasn't gonna post but I came back to this thread...
That ANNOYS me that people can't be honest. I mean, does that girl think she's gonna get an award for growing her hair miraculously FAST!!! Or is she guessing how long it has been growing and really has no clue. I've been cutting and now just growing my natural hair for 21 months now. I'm not EVEN getting the 1/2" per month, which also annoys me. My hair stretched out is between collarbone and armpit length and I'm hoping to have waist length and all natural by the time I'm 50 in two years. And I don't know if I'm gonna make that goal... I sure hope so. I've done the math MANY times, its gonna be close! But I refuse to believe that girl or anyones hair grows that fast. I would also be jealous if it were true, lol!

Oh I wanted to mention something. I been doing some googling and working on my Pinterest boards. This is new to me but maybe not to you all. I found these sites and pics where people take a well fitted light colored t-shirt and basically make lines and ruler measurements on the back of it, like 1"or 1/2" increments or any way you want to suit your purpose. I was thinking of doing that to make it easier to check my progress as it is SO hard for me to measure my length by myself. It's also hard to get a decent pic... I'm new to all this, so any advise would be appreciated.

I'm sorry for rambling on! Anyway's everyone is making Great Progress!

Oh, I also saw where you could draw a line from armpit to armpit on the back of the t-shirt. That might be a good idea...

Liz_park
September 22nd, 2013, 09:18 PM
Hello, all.
I'm just past shoulder length from a haircut gone wrong in January '13. It was lobbed off to mouth-level (I accidentally made the hair dresser upset and before I knew it, my hair was gone.). After a couple months of crying just about every time I looked at my hair in the morning, I decided to go full-out on pampering my hair. I currently take supplements and use only the most natural, gentle hair products. Before, I thought that no products=healthy hair, but now I am finding out I was wrong. Even though it's still much too short for my liking, my hair is in the best shape it's been in years. My goal isn't too long (it looks silly on me), maybe to BSL. Once I get there, then I can decide if I like it that length or to continue growing it out a little more... but no longer than upper waist.
I've been a lurker since my haircut, but recently decided to make an account to chime in here and there. So, cheers to everyone growing theirs out!

Welcome, welcome wool sweater! It's always nice to have new people here! Your hair story reminder me of mine a little in that I also had a bad hair cut experience, which ended up leading me to this forum, which in turn lead to me learning more about my hair and then having nicer hair! Yay!

It would be great to hear what has been working for you! What is your hair routine, what have you found works the best?

0xalis
September 22nd, 2013, 11:34 PM
Thanks, everyone :o And Welcome, WoolSweater! 'Don't anger the person packing your parachute', huh? :p

alimc
September 23rd, 2013, 02:27 AM
Hello, all.
What an upsetting story, bad hairdresser.. :(
Hello and welcome... *hugs*
And well done in graduating Nique! :)

alimc
September 23rd, 2013, 05:22 AM
Ooh! Excited moment... :cheer: my hair ever so slightly got snagged in my arm-pit! Gross but great! It's getting longer... :happydance:

browneyedsusan
September 23rd, 2013, 05:52 AM
Yay, Emily! First bun is a big milestone :)

Browneyedsusan, I left you a visitor message to see if you wouldn't mind sharing a link to a tutorial for the french roll thingy (technical term) you were wearing with your awesome antler fork... do you have one? Or can you explain how you did it? Thanks!

I'm so sorry about that! I replied to your visitor message, but am not fabulous with technology, so maybe it didn't go! oopsie! I just googled "how to use a hairstick" and this is the first link that came up. There is a little plug for the hairstick maker, but she explains how to use hairsticks well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHQwLBvwoZE

She is likely a "liar, liar, pants on fire." Very few people can make hair that fast. Find your happy place: You are healthy and strong. You have a loving heart. You have family and friends who love you dearly. --Leave tumblrgirl be. You don't know her, and she might be mortified if she knew she was upsetting you. (Or she might be delighted! Either way, you don't need to let her in your head.) You are making new, healthy hair every day. You're doing very well. :blossom:

@ alimc: Congratulations! :cheer:

@Silvercurls: love your pretty hair! Very nice color! I have a dear girlfriend whose hair grows VERY slowly, but it's very curly too. She has managed to grow it to mid-back, but it took many years. I'll bet yours will grow to waist. It doesn't look as curly as Girlfriend's, and she's the slowest grower I know. (Gosh, that sounds AWFUL! I love her dearly, really I do! She's a wonderful friend!)

I've seen those measuring shirts! I wondered if it would stretch when putting it on and skew the measurments? hmm... --scratches head--

thanks!!! :Star: :heartbeat :Star: :heartbeat :Star:

and really the trick with the 'towel' test is to squeeze the towel REALLY tightly with your arms and have it snugly around your back (it also has to be really high up in your pits) so that the towel (or whatever it is you're using) doesn't slip lower. If it slips you fail the test :P hehe

THANK YOU! I've been doing it wrong! No wonder it's different every time!

@ WoolSweater: Welcome! Glad to have you!
You've been lurking so know my strategy--pin it up and pretend it's fabulous!-- :lala:

Liz_park
September 23rd, 2013, 10:56 AM
Leave tumblrgirl be. You don't know her, and she might be mortified if she knew she was upsetting you. (Or she might be delighted! Either way, you don't need to let her in your head.)

This made me smile! I personally would be mortified if I knew I was upsetting anyone with my hair growth. There are probably people who would be delighted too...it could be either or!

The internet can be a weird place sometimes, but I have found that the LHC is a great little haven. So much positivity and good advice. So just stick with us, you'll grow your hair out beautifully.

browneyedsusan, I'm wearing my hair up for a whole week :)

Also, I've just started using castor oil...I'll let you guys know if I notice significant growth increases.

WoolSweater
September 23rd, 2013, 11:08 AM
Hello to everyone, thanks so much for the warm welcome!

I made several mistakes when I went to the salon... first, I scheduled a session with a girl I'd never met. I was lead to the chair by someone else and when my new hairdresser came up behind me, all I could see in the mirror was her facing me; I couldn't see the sides or back of her hair. At this point, my hair was well past collar bone but crunchy on the ends from old dye. I decided I'd take the plunge and have the ends cut off so I could continue to grow out my hair, but healthily. What I was *most* afraid of was the "soccer mom haircut". That's what it's called here... the drastically inverted bob, where the front is on your shoulder and it goes upwards to the back, which is stacked. It's my least favorite haircut (sorry if that offends). I was nervously telling her repeatedly that I didn't want that haircut and I didn't want my length *any shorter* than my shoulder, and she just nodded and looked annoyed... when she walked away to get supplies, I saw she had *that* haircut. Gulp. Her first cut on my hair was a big section off the back, and I could tell by the feel that she'd lobbed off my hair. I was too scared to even speak, and at that point it was too late anyways... so when I left, I had this terrible bowl cut-looking bob that went up past my mouth. I shudder to recall it. I spent several months crying and moaning and doing all sorts of time-consuming pinning and braiding to make it look half decent.

So... now my hair is past my shoulder. If it's straight and wet, it touches my collar bone. When dried, it's fine but very frizzy and wavy, so it's to my shoulder and then some. My hair routine is as follows, and everything I use is all natural/organic: I shower at night so my hair can dry naturally. I use a PH balancing shampoo. Then I towel dry it gently (I bend over and gently pat all sections of my hair so it doesn't tangle), and then apply a serum that stops frizz and gives my hair this silky smooth look. My hair naturally parts in the middle, so in the morning I part it to the side which provides natural volume since the hair shafts dried a different way. Then I tip my hair over and spray a salt spray mixture to bring out the beachy waves and get a chic, unkempt look. I rarely brush my hair, but if I have a tangle, I use a boar bristle brush. I have the type of curly hair that straightens out if I brush it, and I like it wavy. Every month I do an oil soak with castor oil and coconut oil. I apply it liberally, pin my hair up and leave it for an hour or so. This provides a deep conditioning and really plumps my hair shafts.
On a side note, my hair is henndigoed dark, dark brown. Naturally, I am a dull mouse blonde. Whenever I reach enough posts to allow photo attachments, I will start a board that chronicles my journey to get back to my natural color. I thought, at the time, I could marry dark brown hair and would have no problem doing roots. Wrong! It's been three months and I'm already sick of dark brown hair. Blonde suits my bone structure so much better, and light roots... oh my, light roots. Not good. Despite all that, henna does make my hair feel and look thicker and shiny. So if I manage to take out the color, I may continue with alma instead... just for the benefits.

Whew, that was a lot. Sorry about that! I've lurked since my hair chop, so I felt it was time to just join and chime in here & there.

Thanks again for the warm welcome. I'll be checking this board for tips/information regularly.

:- )

Neecola
September 23rd, 2013, 11:28 AM
I'm so sorry about that! I replied to your visitor message, but am not fabulous with technology, so maybe it didn't go! oopsie! I just googled "how to use a hairstick" and this is the first link that came up. There is a little plug for the hairstick maker, but she explains how to use hairsticks well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHQwLBvwoZE

Excellent; thank you! :flowers:

0xalis
September 23rd, 2013, 10:43 PM
I just want to thank everyone here for being so supportive and nice. You peoples are the best :D

And yeah I had left "tumblr girl" a reply on her post saying how envious I was [In a tone that sounds joking and playful, of course!] and she sent me an encouraging message along the lines of "don't worry, your hair is growing, it'll get there soon enough" and I thought that was nice :)

D: WoolSweater, your story makes me cringe! I'd cry so much. At least you're here with us, growing happy healthy hair :o Happy growing! <3

Naima
September 24th, 2013, 05:12 AM
Hi guys! Glad to finally be here. I'm growing my hair since may, then I've had a last cut to my shoulders, to get off some damaged ends. Now it's somewhere like 2'' above APL. Unfortunately I can not create a photo album yet. But I'll be back with pic proof as fast as I can)) Happy growing everyone)))

PS. Sorry for my english. I hope it's not too bad))

Stray_mind
September 24th, 2013, 05:24 AM
Welcome and happy growing! Your english isn't bad :D. I think i need about 2 inches to apl aswell, though some of my hair strands need only 1 inch.

Liz_park
September 25th, 2013, 01:11 PM
Hey friends!

Alright, so I have been following your advice to keep my hair up and find interesting ways to do it to get past this awkward stage. I found a hair blog by this really lovely lady who has absolutely mastered doing her hair at shoulder length.

Some of the styles do use heat, but there are plenty of braids and ponies that don't. I love this website and I've been trying out the styles. Just thought I would share!

http://www.thesmallthingsblog.com/p/hair_17.html

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-WtZavVZs5ug/UfVgz-6q2II/AAAAAAAAMqo/0uII9wdcoL8/s1600/MBBW.jpg

samanthajenalyn
September 25th, 2013, 03:02 PM
So I measured, and I'm about 2 inches away from APL! :D
Hopefully by January I'll be there! I'm not going to measure until then, just in case so I won't be disappointed haha.

silver curls
September 25th, 2013, 03:55 PM
Thank you browneyedsusan!!!

Does anything really make your hair grow faster?

Mine seems to grow faster in the summer, much slower in the winter. I just started taking vitamins again today. Maybe that will help. I think a good gentle scalp massage when shampooing is good. What foods are good for healthy hair and maybe to promote growth? Any ideas.

I don't think I am going to measure for a few months either. Seems like if you don't pay attention, all of a sudden you had a growth spurt and didn't even know it! BTW, I made the hair growth shirt yesterday. I hid it though cuz I don't want anyone to think I am obsessed with my hair, lol!!!!!

Haybop
September 26th, 2013, 06:48 AM
I keep thinking 'I must be close, I must be close' but it always looks like I'm months away :( I need to sort out a tape measure or towel to mark the apl line and a camera with a self timer!

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p276/Lanky_Blip/hair260913_zps0f5813ab.jpg?t=1380197674

browneyedsusan
September 26th, 2013, 07:21 AM
Great growth, everyone!

@Silver curls: I call them like I see them. (@ naima: it's a baseball analogy)
The only thing that make my hair grow is time and patience. All the rest seems like so much snake oil.
:rollin: You hid the measuring shirt! Lol! I can see myself doing the exact same thing!

@ Naima: Your English is very good. I'd never have guessed it was a second language for you. I'll try hard to keep my posts understandable. I can slip into slang pretty easily.

@Liz_park: I should try to wear my hair down more often! I wear it up so much, that it drives me nuts when it's down. I had no hair in my eyes or on my shoulders for a lot of years, and it almost startles me when it touches my skin.
I like that blog too! I don't use any heat or harsh teasing, but I've done the bow half-up with the length Gibson tucked for church. My styles usually come out sleeker than hers, just because I don't tease as heavily, but she's very good with her hair, and the styles are fairly simple.

@Haybop: You're SO close!

Liz_park
September 26th, 2013, 11:09 AM
Does anything really make your hair grow faster?

Mine seems to grow faster in the summer, much slower in the winter. I just started taking vitamins again today. Maybe that will help. I think a good gentle scalp massage when shampooing is good. What foods are good for healthy hair and maybe to promote growth? Any ideas.

@silver curls: I am currently experimenting with eating more protein. I don't know if you're a vegetarian, but one of my good friends has been eating a paleo diet, and making "bone broth" which is homemade chicken or beef broth made from bones. It has gelatin and collagen in it and she claims that it makes her hair grow like crazy. I've been researching it a bit, and I have no idea if it works yet because I only just started this week, but if I have any success, I will write to you guys about it! I finished my first batch last night and if nothing else, it's delicious. Haha.

I think taking good care of your hair is probably 75% of great hair. I used to be really focused on growth, but my focus has shifted to healthy hair. I don't have hardly any split ends any more, and while I've gotten a bit of growth from vitamins, I would say the biggest improvement since joining TLHC is quality of hair

@brownyedsusan: I love wearing my hair down, but I find that braiding it and/or keeping it up reduces damage. Your hair looks like it's really healthy, and keeping it up probably has helped it a great deal :)

Haybop
September 26th, 2013, 11:54 AM
@Haybop: You're SO close!

Thank you! I'm hoping by christmas I'll be comfortably there :D It just seems like it's been evading me, teasing me on with false promises of length - I'll catch it out ;P

silver curls
September 26th, 2013, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the feedback Liz!!!
I am not a vegetarian.
The bone broth sounds like something I would try!
Is there a recipie?

Liz_park
September 26th, 2013, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the feedback Liz!!!
I am not a vegetarian.
The bone broth sounds like something I would try!
Is there a recipie?

Hey silver curls! I don't want to advocate too much for paleo diet or bone broth because I am very new to it, but I can definitely give you the recipe I used. The only thing I did differently is that I browned the bones, by cooking them in the oven at 350F for 45 minutes, before throwing them in the broth. Also I used knuckle bones and bones with marrow, from my local butcher, who only uses organic local grass-fed cows. The 3lbs of bones only cost a few dollars, he says people usually buy them for dogs. In the comments section it says to cook for up to two days -- my broth was only cooked for 24 hours in a slow cooker, and it still came out really tasty and gelatinous. I added a little boiling water to the mix about half way through because some of it was evaporating off.

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/3615609338/slow-cooker-beef-bone-broth

I also used cheese cloth to line the strainer to get a nice clean broth. I also don't microwave the broth to warm it up -- I heat it on the stovetop.

I would love to try chicken next, I think! I'll keep you updated to see if I start noticing any additional hair growth :)

muddblood21
September 26th, 2013, 07:41 PM
I would like to say hi! I'm working on chin/shoulder to APL. I have an angled and stacked bob so I imagine it will be a while before all of it is APL, but the longest parts are collar bone. I started with the longest being chin length after a big chop in April. Now I am trying every tip and trick in the book to get all the choppy horrible layers off. Glad to be here! So much hair knowledge to soak up :D

0xalis
September 26th, 2013, 10:11 PM
I'm just going to pop in to say that my hair feels like it's getting longer today, and I look great with a half-up half-down. Excited!!! :D

Naima
September 26th, 2013, 11:42 PM
@Stray_mind and @browneyedsusan thanks for your kind words))) And slang is actually ok. I understand english better, than write on it)))

Haybop
September 26th, 2013, 11:51 PM
I'm just going to pop in to say that my hair feels like it's getting longer today, and I look great with a half-up half-down. Excited!!! :D

That is always such a good feeling to have :) Somedays it doesn't feel that way but the days it does are fab hair days ;)

Stray_mind
September 27th, 2013, 02:17 AM
Hey, can anyone teach me how to measure my own hair? My ends are somehow turned-up and i don't know how to make them straight to see my actual lenght...

shubham
September 27th, 2013, 03:45 AM
WOW! What a beautiful hairs,Thanks for share with us.

silver curls
September 27th, 2013, 03:49 AM
Thanks Liz!
Emily, YAY!!!
Welcome muddblood21!
Haybop, you are getting close, YAY!!!
Stray mind, I don't have any advice, mine is curly and I had to wet it and comb it and it is still hard to get an accurate measurement, so I am leaving it alone. Its not good for me to straighten out my curls I worked so hard for. Maybe someone with more experience will chime in and give you some advice.

oatmealpie
September 27th, 2013, 11:31 AM
Measuring in!

End of July: 17.5"
End of August: 18"
End of September: 18.5"

Growing a steady 1/2" per month. I was hoping the biotin and scalp massages would help me grow more than that, but I guess I'll have to settle for average. APL on me is 20", so at this rate I'll be APL for Christmas!

0xalis
September 27th, 2013, 04:26 PM
my hair is never going to get long. i am so LIFJELFK angry right now. my hair is falling out in handfuls and my ends feel like DSLKFJDSF. I just had my mom microtrim and it feels like I just lost a load of growth even though you can't tell the difference. i feel like im never going to get to APL and I'm going to be stuck at this UGLY [on me] length for the rest of my life :justy: :cry:

Liz_park
September 27th, 2013, 04:42 PM
Emilylightning, don't despair!

1) Your hair looks super cute and you are growing each day!

2) Microtrims are important (I have layers I'm slowly getting rid of too, so I totally understand), but I can relate with feeling like you've lost a lot of length when you get even a little trim. I cut off about an inch (maybe a bit less) recently to get rid of some yucky layers. For about a week afterwards, I totally regretted it in the moment because I felt like I had lost length and my hair was super short. But guess what? After that week, I didn't feel that way any more, and my hair is all even and so I'm happy I trimmed it now!

3) Hair shedding in the autumn is normal, and can even be healthy. I posted about this on the Great Fall Fall of 2013 thread, but Sept/Oct is the time of year that your old hairs fall out, and the new ones that will last the next 2-6 years, come in! So if your diet is super healthy now (and until the new year), you're setting yourself up for good hair for the next 2-6 years! So make sure you're eating lots of healthy food, fruits, veggies, good meals, drinking water to nurture your scalp and get those little hairs all ready!

4) You and I are about the same length. I estimate that we'll be at almost APL by Christmas, or early 2014, which is really not far at all! And this time next year, around the time of our 1-year anniversary we'll be at a solid BSL! I'm so excited to make it to my 1 year anniversary and post a photo about it! :D We can do it together if you like.

Being a collarbone length lady myself, I can totally relate to your frustration. But I think we just gotta stick with it and support each other! I love browneyedsusan's advice to wear my hair up. I've been wearing it up, with a bit of extra oil in on the ends for conditioning, all week. Today I wore it down and I swear it feels longer :)

Hang in there! :D

silver curls
September 27th, 2013, 04:51 PM
Hang in there Emily! Liz has good advice.
I just recently experienced shedding, my second time EVER NOTICING. Last time, was a year ago last fall. So I am suspecting this is Normal...

0xalis
September 27th, 2013, 05:02 PM
Liz, silver, thank you both :') I really needed some encouragement.

Liz_park
September 27th, 2013, 05:43 PM
No worries!

Sometimes I see people on the message boards with hip length hair and I start calculating how long it would realistically take to get there and I think "Omigosh...it is going to be 3 years before my hair is that long." :(

But I often forget that most people in the world actually love shoulder length to apl length hair. A silly little celebrity news article popped up on my computer this morning about Taylor Swift and how perfect her hair was. I saw the picture and I was like "...I think my hair is healthier than that!...also I think my hair is about that long!". I don't know if you're a swifty fan, but she's currently rocking a cut with bangs, layers, and about an inch or two past shoulder, which is exactly where we are.

http://hollywoodlife.com/2013/09/25/taylor-swift-hair-romeo-juliet-beauty-how-to/

I always tend to focus on what's wrong with my hair, what I'd change, what I'd wish would grow. But the truth is that my hair is pretty! And it's only going to get prettier! :D So we should just enjoy our hair and find fun ways to care for it and style it :D

You are super gorgeous, don't fret. Also, your hair is getting happier and healthier every day you're a part of this site.

silver curls
September 27th, 2013, 07:57 PM
I don't like it but that's me. I have her pics of her long curls on my pinterest. Mainly I don't like the bangs.

Liz_park
September 28th, 2013, 11:47 AM
@silver curls, I don't think I expressed myself properly... I was pointing out that some people willfully choose to have their hair at the exact length we're at ;) Long hair is beautiful (I think that's why we're all here on this forum!) but so is the length we're at :) It was meant to cheer emilylightning up :) While longing for long hair, I think one can lose perspective. My good friend (a long hair, past MBL) told me recently she loves my hair, and wants to cut it the same length as mine! I clearly have a different perspective than her, but she sees my hair length as perfect and hers as too long. I think we should just enjoy this length and appreciate it while it's here because it will be past in a few months I fully intend on always being longer than this, so I probably will never be this length again hehe

silver curls
September 28th, 2013, 06:11 PM
:waving:Liz, I get what you are saying! I hope Emily is feeling better about her hair today!:heart:

0xalis
September 28th, 2013, 07:21 PM
You guys are super sweet! I'm blushing~ :o
LOL Taylor's new 'do' looks like my mom's haircut. [that's she's had for at least 5 years... lol.]
Yeah a few months ago I was actually admiring this length and thinking how if I ever wanted to cut it again that this is the length I would cut it to...
But now I'm not so sure! :lol: I think If I do decide to cut my hair again that I'll do it in stages instead of all at once.
I've been ignoring my hair all day today, It's up in a ponytail bun cause I've been cleaning :p

We're all gorgeous and we have gorgeous hair~ whoohoo optimism~ :happydance: hehe

silver curls
September 29th, 2013, 06:02 AM
I would like to wear my hair up more, but with the stupid layers they need to grow out more. Having grown out all the dye, layers was inevitible for me to get the rest of they dye cut out. Can't wait til I can french braid my hair again where it don't fall out on the sides and is long enough to hold on to comfortably while braiding. I guess that's my next goal...

BTW, I don't plan to do any cutting/trimming during this grow out as long as I don't see any split ends. (Is that the norm here?) Hopefully, I am taking proper care of my hair now so I won't get the split ends. (no dye, no irons, no blowdryers)

0xalis
September 29th, 2013, 01:26 PM
Silver, I don't see many split ends either even though my last 4-6 inches of hair have been bleached [they were my roots back before the big chop] and then dyed back to brown, so all I do is microtrim to gradually get rid of bleached hair with a few s&d when necessary.

I see what you guys were saying about our hair length being considered pretty, I just found this really cute piece of hairspiration on tumblr:
http://25.media.tumblr.com/0244dd3fd355eac18014fa2b79931527/tumblr_mtmupujIIH1qzqz2xo1_500.jpg

Just posting a link since the picture'd be too big. If the link doesn't work here's a description: cute Asian girl with medium brown hair, halfway between collarbone length and blunt fringe. This picture made me super happy :o

WoolSweater
September 29th, 2013, 07:41 PM
I would like to wear my hair up more, but with the stupid layers they need to grow out more. Having grown out all the dye, layers was inevitible for me to get the rest of they dye cut out. Can't wait til I can french braid my hair again where it don't fall out on the sides and is long enough to hold on to comfortably while braiding. I guess that's my next goal...

Hello! I just wanted to offer a piece of advice on the layers/French braiding. Do the first couple braids very tight, maybe even too tight, then do a couple more with more slack, and then pin the sections off, which you can hide behind the braid itself-- make sure the pin grabs to your hair behind the braid. Continue doing this all the way down; that way your layers are secure in the braid and no one will know you've used pins/barrettes! Once you are done with the hairstyle, you can go back and gently pull the first braids that are too tight. Just pull a little to loosen them, and there you go.

When my hair was very short, I had to pin back as I went along French braiding so it didn't come out during the day.

Hope it helps... cheers!

0xalis
September 30th, 2013, 09:27 PM
What am I doing wrong? I go so long without seeing a single split, and then suddenly I find numerous all at once! I really hope this problem goes away as I get rid of the bleach. I'm terrified that my hair scissors aren't sharp enough or something and are actually doing more harm than good. I don't have the money for a $100 pair of scissors just to S&D. I'm also terrified that my hair won't grow if I get ANY split ends at all. -_-

Sorry, I know, I complain a lot.

Well, in positive news, my hair seems to get closer and closer to apl every time I hold it straight so that's nice. My hair waves like crazy lately and while it takes off a lot of length at least it looks nice.

Haybop
October 1st, 2013, 04:05 AM
My hair needs a slightly major S&D this weekend - it may even need a trim if that doesn't work :sad

On the bright side tho, I got some fab braid waves from a fat section french braid that I thought I'd messed up last nigth (I was tired, the cat wanted attention...)

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p276/Lanky_Blip/Snapshot_20131001_1_zpse7cb7a64.jpg?t=1380621749

Stray_mind
October 1st, 2013, 04:15 AM
My hair barely grew this month... I wonder what is stopping the growth... :confused:

browneyedsusan
October 1st, 2013, 05:41 AM

BTW, I don't plan to do any cutting/trimming during this grow out as long as I don't see any split ends. (Is that the norm here?) Hopefully, I am taking proper care of my hair now so I won't get the split ends. (no dye, no irons, no blowdryers)

I don't see anything wrong with your no-trim plan. If the ends are good, why cut them off? I don't have any splits yet either, and am hoping I don't make any either! (I'm planning a little trim to give more wispies around my face. I think it looks better on me than having it all scraped back in an updo, and bangs are too high-maintenance--either in my eyes or too short.)

@Emilylightning: Warning: Slipping into motherlove mode: --> It's hard being a teenager. (I remember it well, and have 2 lovely kids DS--18, DD--16.) This will pass, but it's going to take a while. People go through lots of changes in their late teens and early twenties, and it can be overwhelming and scary. It doesn't help when kids at school pile on the drama, and your hormones make your emotions go into overdrive. (The kids will mature and your hormones will settle, but it's probably pretty miserable right now.) Let all that stuff just run off your back. You are a strong, bright girl; and you can make good decisions. Think things through carefully--don't give the hormones the upper hand--, take one day at a time, and make the best of it. You're a good girl. You can do this.

WoolSweater
October 1st, 2013, 07:17 AM
My hair barely grew this month... I wonder what is stopping the growth... :confused:

Colder weather slows down the growth process. Well, let me re-word... hair will grow faster in the summer/warm months, then return back to normal when it is cold, thus seeming to grow "slower"... my hair grew a lot in the warm spring/summer, and now that I'm having to put on a coat, I can already tell there is a little more shedding and it's not growing quite so much... but I am also one of those people who measures about three times a week, so being impatient is also a factor!

silver curls
October 1st, 2013, 08:48 AM
Thank you WoolSweater and browneyedsusan!
I'm just going to wait awhile and try to french braid at a later date. I don't want to pulling on my hair as I don't want breakage. My hair has thinned enough due to aging. I want to be more careful with it. I don't have many barrettes or hair accessories that are gentle on the hair. I'm currently using tiny claw clips to pull back a few curls that try to hang in my face, it's annoying, lol!

I'm still shedding a little, it is fall here and winter will be here before you know it. My growth will be slower now, I am sure.

I have my haircutting scissors put away. I don't feel the need to use them anymore, thank God! When I was growing out the dye, I was constanly trimming off the dye and the split ends. It got a little compulsive... Now that I have the dye cut out, as of the end of March, I think it's just grow from here on out!

Stray_mind
October 1st, 2013, 08:59 AM
Woolsweater, i guess you're right. It might be cold weather and where i am it is reeeaaaaally cold. Maybe i should buy a warm cap. Gosh, i am so impatient, especially when i want to grow out my natural hair now... :D

silver curls
October 1st, 2013, 09:07 AM
Emily,
I bought my scissors from Amazon.
I paid like $5 with shipping, almost two years ago.
They are sharp, but I only used them on my clean hair. If you use them for other things, they will get dull and need sharpening. I just keep them put away for my hair. I can't afford fancy scissors and I did alot of googling on different hair cutting scissors when I bought those.

If you go to Amazon, type in: Stylist Scissors Barber Hair Cut Shears Ice Tempered 5 1/2"
by SE. They should come up. Mine are all silver colored, not the ones with the gold colored handle.

HTH!

Edit to add: I bought mine from Hobby Tool Supply, Amazon Seller and I see they are currently $4.99 and free shipping. If you pick a different seller, then I don't know if you get exactly what is advertised. Just sayin' cuz of reviews and not all sellers are great...

samanthajenalyn
October 1st, 2013, 10:56 AM
The past couple of days I've really been wanting to measure my hair and see how much growth I've gotten. I measured around a month ago for the very first time, and I was somewhere around 19.5 inches, which is a little past collarbone length. It doesn't look like my hair has grown any. But that may be because I microtrimmed. For some reason, I just feel like I have the slowest growth rate ever, while everyone else in my family's hair grows like a weed! :( But on the other hand, in July my sister cut my hair and I just seen her for the first time since then and she says it has grown a lot! So maybe it's just all in my head, lol. I just feel like I'll neverr reach APL. I'm going to try to hold off measuring so i dont get disappointed.

Stray_mind
October 1st, 2013, 11:39 AM
I am thinking about benign neglect until spring. I mean, just take basic care of my hair, put it up and leave it be. I'm also planning a little trim in November. Other than that-i think i won't measure and won't take any lenght pictures until spring (until March). At least i'll try. If you watch it all the time, it won't grow. :)

fairhairedthing
October 1st, 2013, 12:27 PM
It's been forever since I have been on this site lol I almost forgot! My hair is just APL now after about 3 inches of trimmings over the course of 8 months. Condition improved vastly, I'm using a new coloring solution for the blonde as well. It's that argan oil infused dye from sallys and it's not bad. Does nicely for my sandy roots. I will now start braiding it before bed too, it's getting to that point.

Haybop
October 1st, 2013, 12:34 PM
I think trying not to focus on the growth would do the trick for me... I just don't have the willpower :S Now I can put it up in the basic styles though it is easier to attempt a benign neglect thing ;)

Neecola
October 1st, 2013, 02:51 PM
Haybop, that's where I'm at. The hardest parts are behind us now (I hope)! Definitely being able to put it up has made all the difference. My hats to all my fellow short-hairs struggling through! You can do it! :cheer:

WoolSweater
October 1st, 2013, 07:32 PM
Even though I dislike the length I'm at currently, I think back to how it was when it first was cut, and realize I am in a much better place now, being able to put it up and all! Just this past month I decided to begin wearing it down after doing up-dos for several years (I had a pixie, grew it out, wore it up, went in for a trim, bam! There went all the progress to that aforementioned bob), and people were shocked at how short my hair actually is. I'm pretty good at "faking" long hair with side braids and low chignon buns and that sort... when I wore it down, everyone thought I got my hair cut. So, what I'm trying to say is, we all seem to greatly dislike our shoulder/collarbone-ish hair, but at least we can pull off a number of up-dos and have some fun while it grows!

Besides, in the celebrity world, our hair length is now a thing. Do a Google search for "celebrity lobs". Seriously... the haircut is called a lob. So while *we* dislike our hair, it's actually something many people have done on purpose, and I doubt anyone is looking at our hair length thinking "gosh that person has short hair!".

0xalis
October 1st, 2013, 08:51 PM
Thanks, browneyedsusan :o

All this talk of hair slowing down growth during the winter worries me :s I really want to get to FULL APL by graduation, which will require me to be a ways past APL to actually be able to see it, due to my wave. I just really need my hair to grow a half an inch a month and I should be good, but that's all my hair's been growing during the summer!!! I am screwed if my growth gets cut down to 1/4 an inch :(

ETA: I don't think my hair is ever going to be healthy OTL
I hope it will still get longer even with this damned damage.... I really do not want to cut to chin... or even worse, shave it!
And like I'm not even doing anything wrong! I'm taking the best care of my hair I ever have and I've found split ends on NEW GROWTH. Such bull2744797!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When I was a kid I wore my hair down EVERY DAY and I got it to waist and it was HEALTHY. I am so angry, this isn't fair.

WoolSweater
October 1st, 2013, 08:58 PM
Tried any prenatal vitamins, or Biotin?

OH MY GOSH I CAN EDIT A POST.
^Sorry.

By prenatal, I didn't mean to imply you were pregnant; those vitamins are great to take for hair/skin/nails.

Haybop
October 1st, 2013, 10:35 PM
Haybop, that's where I'm at. The hardest parts are behind us now (I hope)! Definitely being able to put it up has made all the difference. My hats to all my fellow short-hairs struggling through! You can do it! :cheer:

Ugh, yes - remembering back to the 'can't put up' length was difficult, especially when you're like me and can't do a darn thing anyway (unlike little miss creative length faker WoolSweater ;D) It's okay short(er) hairs - it can be done :D

flemeister
October 2nd, 2013, 01:56 AM
I'm not fazed by my layers, as it's usually in a ponytail for when I need it to look neater, or just left loose most of the time. :) Here's my progress after 18 months. Can't wait till it's longer and ready for braiding and half-ups! :D

April 2012 --> October 2013

http://s6.postimg.org/3pbwfwbd9/DSC01466a.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/3pbwfwbd9/)http://s6.postimg.org/fxbslnez1/DSC01915a.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/fxbslnez1/)

Liz_park
October 2nd, 2013, 10:00 AM
Oh my goodness! That is amazing progress! Your hair looks lovely and super shiny and healthy too! I'm trying to be happier about my layers.

I do find that the longer my hair gets, the less I notice the layers. It used to seem like they were really big pieces missing, but now it seems like there's less of a difference between longest layer and shortest layer. It's probably because the ratio of overall hair length to shortest layer is improving :) I also have noticed that some of the really long hairs have long layers (sometimes 4-6 inches in difference between bottom and shortest layer) so I should probably just put it up and forget about it until it's a bit longer :)

Neecola
October 2nd, 2013, 12:06 PM
Great progress, flemeister!

flemeister
October 2nd, 2013, 05:14 PM
Oh my goodness! That is amazing progress! Your hair looks lovely and super shiny and healthy too! I'm trying to be happier about my layers.

I do find that the longer my hair gets, the less I notice the layers. It used to seem like they were really big pieces missing, but now it seems like there's less of a difference between longest layer and shortest layer. It's probably because the ratio of overall hair length to shortest layer is improving :) I also have noticed that some of the really long hairs have long layers (sometimes 4-6 inches in difference between bottom and shortest layer) so I should probably just put it up and forget about it until it's a bit longer :)
Thank you. :)

Indeed, the ratio is shrinking, so it doesn't look quite as silly.

Great progress, flemeister!
Thanks! :)

browneyedsusan
October 2nd, 2013, 05:37 PM
Flemeister is German for "hair grows like a weed"?

--Just teasing! What amazing growth!

WoolSweater
October 2nd, 2013, 07:03 PM
Here's a tidbit... you can have a salon stylist/haircutter style your hair for sessions, much like tutoring or a drawing class. They will show you step-by-step how to do different up-dos while your hair grows out. They'll even use your own products if you ask. Yes, it costs some money, but these are up-dos that will help you for months down the road, so it's really not too bad!

0xalis
October 2nd, 2013, 07:22 PM
I'm not fazed by my layers, as it's usually in a ponytail for when I need it to look neater, or just left loose most of the time. :) Here's my progress after 18 months. Can't wait till it's longer and ready for braiding and half-ups! :D

April 2012 --> October 2013

http://s6.postimg.org/3pbwfwbd9/DSC01466a.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/3pbwfwbd9/)http://s6.postimg.org/fxbslnez1/DSC01915a.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/fxbslnez1/)

I AM SO JEALOUS!!! We cut our hair at the same time and mine was longer than that, and after the same amount of time your hair looks SUPER nice and longer than mine! Granted you probably don't suffer from giraffe neck like I do but still!!!! :thud:

WoolSweater
October 2nd, 2013, 07:23 PM
Your hair looks so silky and shiny, Flemeister!

0xalis
October 2nd, 2013, 07:25 PM
I think I know what's causing some of the breakage at least. I need to bring my satin pillowcase with me when I go to my boyfriends, considering all of the napping I do! My hair is a rat's nest every time I wake up when I fall asleep over there... I guess that's what I'm doing wrong!

WoolSweater
October 2nd, 2013, 07:28 PM
Could you be overkilling it with the haircare? There is a thing as too much pampering, your hair may need to be left alone for a while.

ReadingRenee
October 2nd, 2013, 09:22 PM
Yay I can finally post in this thread!

My hair history is long and boring but after basically shaving it to less than an inch in 2011 and with LOTS of trims to avoid the mullet, I am now a little past shoulder length and I have HAIR again. I can do pony tails and braids and french twists and Im a happy girl. Still can't use the hairsticks I was able to use when my hair was BSL and waist though.

My signature pic is much shorter than my current length and is before I shaved it all off. :)

flemeister
October 2nd, 2013, 09:45 PM
Flemeister is German for "hair grows like a weed"?

--Just teasing! What amazing growth!
Ty! :o

I AM SO JEALOUS!!! We cut our hair at the same time and mine was longer than that, and after the same amount of time your hair looks SUPER nice and longer than mine! Granted you probably don't suffer from giraffe neck like I do but still!!!! :thud:
I haven't trimmed mine at all! When pony-tailed, the shortest hairs just barely reach the elastic, while the longest ones are 6~7 inches past it. Lots of layers, can't really braid it (although I'm sure someone with enough know-how might be able to do it!). Looks ok, though being a bit wavy/curly it tends to go a bit wild. When it's loose, I just embrace the mullet... :o Just want to grow it out to somewhere between BSL and mid-back before starting to micro-trim and even it out. Part of it hangs down front over my shoulders anyway, so it's never a full-on mullet effect. :)

Another pic, no bras for me! No need, and [currently] no desire to wear one! :D

http://s6.postimg.org/4aw9y9h1p/DSC01877a.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/4aw9y9h1p/)

WilfredAllen
October 2nd, 2013, 09:48 PM
Tried any prenatal vitamins, or Biotin?

OH MY GOSH I CAN EDIT A POST.
^Sorry.

By prenatal, I didn't mean to imply you were pregnant; those vitamins are great to take for hair/skin/nails.

Prenatals haves loads of good vitamins, but it's notable that they contain extra iron. I'd be careful with prenatals(and by that I mean that I wouldn't take them unless I had an iron deficiency or I was actually pregnant), because iron is one supplement that is both easy and dangerous to overdo

0xalis
October 2nd, 2013, 10:33 PM
oh, flemeister, you're a guy, huh? i can never tell lol. in that case, there was never a need to trim the mullet in the first place :p It looks good when guys grow out their shaved hair without trims. Definitely accentuates the waves in your hair!

I'm still crying over your hair forever tho :lol:

ETA: Welcome, ReadingRenee (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=4809)! How nice of you to join us :o

BlondeWavyGal
October 3rd, 2013, 02:40 AM
When I tie it back the ends juuust tickle the beginning of APL. Grow hair, grow!

WoolSweater
October 3rd, 2013, 06:59 AM
Prenatals haves loads of good vitamins, but it's notable that they contain extra iron. I'd be careful with prenatals(and by that I mean that I wouldn't take them unless I had an iron deficiency or I was actually pregnant), because iron is one supplement that is both easy and dangerous to overdo

Mine doesn't! I think there are several brands out there that will not include iron in a vitamin. Iron for some women is dangerous, so they leave it out for options. May be a bit harder to find, but mine was found at the local health food store! :)

browneyedsusan
October 4th, 2013, 11:24 AM
I just evened up my front layers, and cut a few wispies into the front. It was very raggedy, and is better now, but I didn't take much off. It looked like I'd need to remove about 2" to get it all, and I'm not willing to do that much at one go. (I might have to get after it again, in a couple of days, if it's still bugging me.) I used this video tutorial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y66mkFGDZrU), but didn't trim the back or follow the "back layers" portion of the video. (I can't see back there, so the back doesn't bother me! :misskim: ) If I DID want to trim the back, I'd use Feyes (http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/) anyway, and do it ALL myself.

I'm going out with friends tomorrow, and would like to set some damp pin curls or headband curls tonight, but the ends were so uneven that it's been almost impossible to roll it without crimping the scraggely ends. I'll have another try, and if it doesn't cooperate better, will trim a bit more off.

browneyedsusan
October 4th, 2013, 11:39 AM
I tried to edit my previous post, unsuccessfully. Sorry for the double post.

IMHO, I think it's the pregnancy that grows hair, and prenatal vitamins are coincidental. Pregnancy can interrupt normal shedding, so one's hair feels longer and thicker during pregnancy and often continues until the baby is weaned. Once Baby weans (or 4 or 6 months after delivery), all that unshed hair gets jettisoned at once, and one's hair will be quite thin for a while, but new growth follows and the hair thickens up again in a year or so. It doesn't happen for everyone, but is fairly common during pregnancy. (I was a textbook case, and vividly remember Hairdresser gasping when she saw my wispy hairline after I delivered DD. "Gee, thanks. I hadn't noticed that a BUNCH of my hair has fallen out...")

0xalis
October 4th, 2013, 03:13 PM
I was supposed to take my monthly progress photos yesterday but I forgot :S I wonder if I have any visible growth... we'll have to see. I may put up some pix later if I feel the need.
I did join this thread in late august so I should have at least another half inch since I started here.

WoolSweater
October 4th, 2013, 05:56 PM
I tried to edit my previous post, unsuccessfully. Sorry for the double post.

IMHO, I think it's the pregnancy that grows hair, and prenatal vitamins are coincidental. Pregnancy can interrupt normal shedding, so one's hair feels longer and thicker during pregnancy and often continues until the baby is weaned. Once Baby weans (or 4 or 6 months after delivery), all that unshed hair gets jettisoned at once, and one's hair will be quite thin for a while, but new growth follows and the hair thickens up again in a year or so. It doesn't happen for everyone, but is fairly common during pregnancy. (I was a textbook case, and vividly remember Hairdresser gasping when she saw my wispy hairline after I delivered DD. "Gee, thanks. I hadn't noticed that a BUNCH of my hair has fallen out...")

Biotin, whether you're pregnant or not, is the bit that benefits hair. I don't think anything on the planet can actually *quicken* growth, but biotin strengthens the hair and does all sorts of good gibberish to it. Mine has other things, like horsetail extract. There is a difference, and I've never been pregnant. ; )

WoolSweater
October 4th, 2013, 06:01 PM
I had a really terrible hair day. I'm not one to moan about physical things, but oh geez, somewhat overnight I've grown to hate how my hair looks down. I'm so sick of up-dos, but the place where the hemline ends, is just not attractive. I dared to go to work with it down, and within an hour I'd pulled it back. I hate the length, I hate the colour, la de da de da, whine whine, moan moan. Plus I'm having trouble with fringe/bangs. My features are very classic Nordic; tall forehead, high cheekbones, square face. I've always, always, ALWAYS had fringe. Now I want to get rid of it, but since my hair is dyed darker, I feel like my tall forehead is even more apparent. People make comments. I am so embarrassed. I just think no fringe would be SO much easier. When you have fringe, you always have to comb it throughout the day or it pieces together and gets oily, and I can't ever sweat for fear my fringe sticking to my forehead, and... okay, done whining. Basically a bad couple days, hair loving wise!

Edit: does anyone here notice people's foreheads? Would you notice a tall forehead and think that girl needs some fringe/bangs? Be honest, please!

Liz_park
October 4th, 2013, 07:12 PM
Re: vitamins...I agree you should definitely do your research and make sure you're not over doing it on any vitamin. I will say that biotin and MSM have significantly increased my growth and thickness since I started taking them, and I've heard of others with similar success. If you are vitamin deficient, you could be inhibiting your own growth, so a healthy diet is important, and that may or may not include a multivitamin :)

@Woolsweater: I can sympathize with not liking how your hair looks down. We in this thread are at an awkward stage and I did not like my hair at all for a few months. I found ways to style it to make it look less awkward, and this stage passes quickly...in a few months you will feel a lot better about your hair, I promise :)

I grew out my fringe and I am so happy that I did! My hair stylist always told me this nonsense about "long hair" (and she defined long hair as anything past chin length!) would drag my face down. It's not true at all. Now that my layers are growing out and longer around my face, it's really pretty! She would always cut a fringe and I realize now I shouldn't have let her! I say try growing it out and don't worry about your forehead :)

WilfredAllen
October 4th, 2013, 08:41 PM
Mine doesn't! I think there are several brands out there that will not include iron in a vitamin. Iron for some women is dangerous, so they leave it out for options. May be a bit harder to find, but mine was found at the local health food store! :)

Good to know! I'll keep an eye out for prenatals sans iron

WilfredAllen
October 4th, 2013, 08:43 PM
Edit: does anyone here notice people's foreheads? Would you notice a tall forehead and think that girl needs some fringe/bangs? Be honest, please!

No. And also no.
Okay, I'd probably notice in really extreme cases, but otherwise, no

Stray_mind
October 5th, 2013, 06:30 AM
I notice some people's foreheads. But i also think that it has to do with overall shape of the face. Sometimes tall forehead looks completely fine without bags and fringes.

browneyedsusan
October 5th, 2013, 08:29 AM
Biotin, whether you're pregnant or not, is the bit that benefits hair. I don't think anything on the planet can actually *quicken* growth, but biotin strengthens the hair and does all sorts of good gibberish to it. Mine has other things, like horsetail extract. There is a difference, and I've never been pregnant. ; )

I'd forgotten about biotin! Yes, that is some good stuff. :thumbsup:

Foreheads? Nope. I might see a big scar or port wine birthmark, though.

Stray_mind
October 5th, 2013, 08:46 AM
I'll try out castor oil once i get it.. It shoul be someday next week, i really hope. A lot of people say that it makes hair grow faster and treats dandruff. I'm gonna see how it works out for me...

samanthajenalyn
October 5th, 2013, 01:51 PM
So today I bought As I Am coconut cowash, because I ran out of my RenPure cowash, and I also bought Givioni Tea tree sulfate free shampoo to use every so often. both say that they make your hair grow faster because of the oils they have in them. Fingers crossed :) Has anyone ever used these before and experienced faster hair growth?

WoolSweater
October 5th, 2013, 04:54 PM
I used Giovanni Tea Tree shampoo, and to be honest it really dried my scalp out. I use a different kind of their shampoo and like it so far, though. Tea tree was pretty harsh even for every other day.

I have castor oil for skin... haven't heard about the hair benefits! I'll have to give that a go.

You know the actress/model Amber Valletta? People liken me to her (except she's prettier). Same features, but the forehead especially. I think she can pull it off, but... I don't know if I can pull it off. I'm just so sick of fringe, but I hate when I can tell someone is noticing my tall forehead! Maybe I'm just paranoid? :shrug:

Also, does anyone else think fringe makes hair look shorter? Trick of the eye, I think? When hair is long and close to the same length, then obviously it looks long, but fringe will throw me off. I notice it first, and overall makes the length not seem as "flowing" as someone without fringe.

samanthajenalyn
October 5th, 2013, 05:28 PM
I used Giovanni Tea Tree shampoo, and to be honest it really dried my scalp out. I use a different kind of their shampoo and like it so far, though. Tea tree was pretty harsh even for every other day.

I was only going to use it every two weeks or every month, since I usually CO-Wash. Hopefully it wont do that to my scalp.

McFearless
October 5th, 2013, 07:52 PM
WoolSweater, if you look like Amber Valletta and have her forehead, you better embrace it! She's stunning. I have a huge one myself, it's a common thing in my country and I'm cool with it. Another gorgeous woman with a gigantic forehead is Rihanna, and she looks flawless. :cool:

teawitch
October 5th, 2013, 09:42 PM
I'm currently a little past shoulder length. Almost to where it was before I buzzed it on January 1, 2012 to start over after a most atrocious and traumatizing haircut. I have been pretty good to my hair this time around... I use more natural products on my hair. No 'cones or sulfates. I sometimes do ACV rinses. Gave up brushing and got a couple of wide tooth Madora combs. When I put it up it is with a toothless Ficcare (Ficcarissimo) clip. I oil my hair often and do cassia treatments once in a while. I let my hair air dry and never rub it with a towel. Even though I haven't posted much, I've lurked on the LHC for years and learned quite a bit, and for that, I must thank everyone!

Having curly hair, I must say I'm in a bit of an annoying stage in my quest for long hair... mine seems to curl up at the ends and has been sitting right on my shoulders for what seems like quite a while now, even though it is about an inch past my collarbone if I pull a piece of it straight. Also, my ends are finally starting to feel dry and tangly no matter what I do, which makes me think I need a trim. I want to cut off as little as possible and I am loathe to go to a hairdresser, so I'm thinking about self-trimming (maybe doing something like Feye's method). Is that possible at this length? If anyone has tried it, was it difficult? How did it turn out? Thanks for any advice! :pumpkin:

0xalis
October 6th, 2013, 12:15 AM
My hair does seem to be growing judged on this month's progress pic, but it's still a long ways to go before APL. My hair was about this long in July of 2011 and was full APL by December 2011. I guess that means I should be full APL by March, which would be nice. APL Stretched? I have no idea but it'll be sooner than March! Hopefully by December.

WoolSweater, I have to say that when I cut my fringe back before the big chop of 2012 it actually made my hair look longer. Not sure why.

I'm really liking my hair lately. Perhaps it's thanking me for using a satin pillowcase ;)

Instead of making a whole new post for this stupidity I'll just throw this here:

http://media.tumblr.com/ac61ec25907c291eb4dacb4d285a033a/tumblr_inline_mu9xctpxKo1r2p7rz.jpg

I got bored so I photoshopped my hair to BSL. It's a very lazy edit so it's super bad quality but wow my hair looks really long :lol:

RainbowPearl
October 6th, 2013, 10:22 AM
Hi, I've been trolling on here for a little while now. Just reading and learning all the great info here that everyone has to offer. I can't wait for my hair to grow long, this lenght is so annoying especially since it is layers. Not a lot you can do with it because the ends keep coming out not being long enough.

I take biotin and msm as well as a few vitamins. It seems to be helping so I'll keep up with that routine. I ditched all my cone shampoo and conditioners and bought some without. I also you argon oil every morning before combing my hair. I try not to wash it too often and use nutricap shampoo and conditioner. Didn't see any cones listed in the ingredience so hopefully that is ok,

browneyedsusan
October 7th, 2013, 05:35 AM
Welcome, RainbowPearl!

----------

I set my hair in pincurls a few days ago, and WOWSER! I had hair like a shampoo model!
I'll do it again in a day or 2, and share pics.

Stray_mind
October 7th, 2013, 07:40 AM
I'm sorry for my sillyness, but what are/is pincurls?

WoolSweater
October 7th, 2013, 08:34 AM
Please post photos of the pin curls, I could never master them! But I'm also very impatient...

Hi RainbowPearl, do you like the argon oil? It doesn't make your hair look greasy?

RainbowPearl
October 7th, 2013, 10:34 AM
Hi WoolSweater,
My argon oil is in a spray bottle so I just mist it over the ends of my hair to condition my ends morning and night. I have very dry hair due to dying my hair all the time. I would love to grow my hair natural but my husband doesn't want to hear about it. He says he is not dating an old lady with gray hair. :) Tried to tell him about celebrities that have grey hair but with no success. So dying it is. Thought about henna but I am still researching that. Kinda scared I'd screw it up, and not sure it would work on covering all my grey. Also don't know about having reddish color hair at my age, 51.

Liz_park
October 7th, 2013, 11:11 AM
I'm really liking my hair lately. Perhaps it's thanking me for using a satin pillowcase ;)

I got bored so I photoshopped my hair to BSL. It's a very lazy edit so it's super bad quality but wow my hair looks really long :lol:

Ahhhaha I love that you photoshopped your hair! That made me smile :) I wish I could photoshop my hair to BSL in real life!

I'm happy you are liking your hair! I just saw my hair in a few photos from this week, and it's fiiiinally looking longer! So happy!

Welcome, RainbowPearl!

browneyedsusan
October 7th, 2013, 11:22 AM
Of course! Pincurls work great on our length hair.
I used this tutorial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elKVFr-NtIM)to figure it out. She talks a lot, but gives lots of good info.

I like pincurls because:
1) They are long-lasting. Once they're dry, they'll relax a little throughout the day, but they stay better than any hot roller in the world.
2) They are springy and moldable. Unlike other no-heat sets, pin curls look great when you brush them against your hand and place them where you want.
3) They're easy to sleep on, because they lay flat against your head.
4) The curls will last a couple of days. The second day, they're relaxed, but still bouncy. (My August siggy was a 2 day old pincurl set. It's in my album, and you can see how the ends flip up. My natural texture is in my current siggy.)

They do take practice, but if women could figure out how to set them 60 years ago, we can figure it out now, eh? The first time I set them, it took me about 30 minutes, but I can do it in 15 or 20 now. (A lot of women take longer to fix their hair, so it isn't too bad by comparison.)

WoolSweater
October 7th, 2013, 04:26 PM
Hi Rainbowpearl, there is always the option of a henna cream! They're not as pure as just henna+indigo or whatnot, but much healthier than regular dyes. You only have to leave it on for an hour and there's no "kitchen turned into a scientist's lab" because it's already mixed for you. :-)

Browneyedsusan, what kind of pins do you use? Bobby pins pop right out of my hair! I would love to try this, and still want to see some photos from you, please.....;)

BlondeWavyGal
October 7th, 2013, 04:28 PM
The best feeling in the world is throwing up a pony tail and seeing how long its gotten. Something about lengthy pony tails really get me.

RainbowPearl
October 7th, 2013, 04:37 PM
Thanks WoolSweater I`ll look into henna cream to see if that's more for me.

0xalis
October 7th, 2013, 08:36 PM
@Liz_park: Haha :o Ikr, I just want to make my hair grow overnight *sigh* :lol:
@BlondeWavyGal: I totally understand that feeling! The ponytails seem to be so much longer than they "should" be! :D
Welcome, RainbowPearl!

0xalis
October 9th, 2013, 07:22 PM
uh-oh did i kill the thread? :p i did something I haven't done in forever today... I used actual shampoo instead of BS. I've heard scary things about people who used BS long-term so I think I'm going to switch back to shampoo. Apparently using baking soda only for hair washing is like clarifying every time you wash your hair O_O
My hair seems to be fine. It's not entirely dry yet but my bangs are super soft so I think my hair is fine with this change :lol:

twirls
October 10th, 2013, 06:39 AM
Hi! Joining in on this thread too :) Very inspiring to see some of the progress here!

I'm stuck somewhere between shoulder and APL... The layers make it hard to determine where I'm at exactly, but right now the goal is to get the shortest ones to APL for it to be official for myself.

My hair is pretty damaged and grows very slowly, so I may be here for a loooong time ;)

Mustang Suzy
October 10th, 2013, 08:00 AM
Hello All ~ I'm also growing to APL. Hopefully I'll be there by Christmas. I'm a slow grower but I've experienced some improvement since joining LHC. The neatest experience I've had is doing a tails-up but the "up" part was so long it drooped past my clasp making a weird ponytail. :D

browneyedsusan
October 10th, 2013, 09:54 AM
Hi Rainbowpearl, there is always the option of a henna cream! They're not as pure as just henna+indigo or whatnot, but much healthier than regular dyes. You only have to leave it on for an hour and there's no "kitchen turned into a scientist's lab" because it's already mixed for you. :-)

Browneyedsusan, what kind of pins do you use? Bobby pins pop right out of my hair! I would love to try this, and still want to see some photos from you, please.....;)

It will be at least a week before I can get to it, but I will. :)

Liz_park
October 10th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Welcome Twirls and Mustang Susy!

@emilylightning: well we are growing overnight...just very slowly hehe ;) Actually this past week I've been really happy with my hair. It's beginning to approach the longest it's ever been. Eeee! I am excited! I am excited for what it will look like by Christmas, and also what it will look like this time next year!

0xalis
October 10th, 2013, 09:25 PM
Whoo-hoo! Congrats, Liz :D It'll be a long while before I beat my longest. However once I get past full APL my hair will be the longest it's been since the 5th grade O:
Christmas is so close, I feel it in the air :lol: I'm so excited for halloween though :pumpkin:

In random personal news, we ordered my wig last night. It should be to [I]about hip [my goal] on me. I'm super excited. I'll probably post pictures because I'll be squealing so much. ;)
Also, I've been taking biweekly pictures and monthly pictures of my progress... perhaps i should only take pictures once every 4 weeks because I also really want to try doing benign neglect and not look at my hair at all for a while. I'm not sure though, I wanted to make a gif with all of the pictures once my hair got too long for the current cropping.
I need to get better at keeping my hair up because it likes to fall out and I have to re-do it and by the time I get home I just want to leave it down :( I don't think I'm doing very well on the "keep your hair up" challenge at all! I more started it so people at school would be like "WOAH UR HAIR GREW" so I guess i'm doing okay in that regard but I really want my hair to truly benefit from it as well. Right now I'm experimenting with high buns :o

janeytilllie
October 11th, 2013, 10:37 AM
Hello everyone:)

My hair was at nearly hip but I had major stress and it affected my hair badly. I also was very down and decided to chop my hair off. Silly I know.

However I now happy and back on track. I'm ready to grow again :D

I'm currently just past Collarbone length nearing APL.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6807&d=1381509277

RainbowPearl
October 12th, 2013, 07:06 AM
emilylightning that must be fun having different wigs you can wear. No wonder you are excited about getting your new one. You can change look anytime you like. Do you get different colored wigs as well?

michelle483
October 12th, 2013, 07:32 AM
http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab191/stoneagemom/CameraZOOM-20131012081811578_zpsbd39bd2d.jpg (http://s863.photobucket.com/user/stoneagemom/media/CameraZOOM-20131012081811578_zpsbd39bd2d.jpg.html)

I just had my hair trimmed (picture on the right). I really fear that I will need to be doing a lot of trimming :(. I have so much damage from highlighting, blow drying, and flat ironing. Even after the trim, I see some splits and damaged ends. My roots are coming along nicely, though and blend in with the lighter ends really well. I would say I'm a medium ash blonde and I only have done highlights, so the transition is gradual. I have about 2-3 inches of my virgin hair (yay!).

I think my hairstylist was shocked when I booked my next appointment 4 months out. In the meantime, I'm on the hunt for a pair of decent scissors for s&d.

TearsInRain
October 12th, 2013, 08:51 AM
My lowest layer is approaching shoulder so it'll be a while before I can join this thread because I want to grow all my layers out.

C'mon hair, grow faster.

0xalis
October 12th, 2013, 12:46 PM
@RainbowPearl: It's very fun :D I'm getting a dark brown wig even though my hair is light brown so it'll be a little bit different than usual :)
I also have a blue curly halloween wig that's between waist and hip on me but it doesn't really look that good on me :( too poofy.

littleghost
October 12th, 2013, 07:41 PM
Slowly creeping along to APL.....

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/5069/6yw8.jpg

littleghost
October 12th, 2013, 07:42 PM

alimc
October 13th, 2013, 04:16 AM
Hi everyone!!
Think I'm getting close to APL, my hair is getting caught in everything (yey!) and I'm having to be cautious not to zip it into my winter coat (dangerous but also yey!!). I would post a piccy but I'm still too much of a newby for that!
emilylightning I'd LOVE to see your wigs, they sound pretty exciting. And littleghost your colour is gorgeous!!

TearsInRain
October 13th, 2013, 04:21 AM

Ooh I love your hair that color is amazing.

WoolSweater
October 13th, 2013, 03:50 PM
I'm at the stage where I'm so, so tempted to chop it back to a layered bob or some sort. This length (just touching collarbone) is NOT flattering on me. Today I was looking at women with hair lengths like my own, and couldn't help imagine them with a bit longer hair, or much shorter. I feel like this "no man's land" doesn't compliment most facial structures like a shorter or longer length does. Longer seems to slim a face, and shorter brings out all the wonderful features like cheekbones and eyes. Anyway, I'm back to lurking pretty much, trying to fight the strong urge to cut it all off. I think for me, my hair will not be at a flattering length till January.

To michelle483: I know I can't see your hair in person, but it looks healthy in the photographs! I like the hue of blonde you have, it's pretty and does go with your roots very well.

0xalis
October 13th, 2013, 10:41 PM
I'm sure you look fine, woolsweater! After all, you are your own worst critic :lol: Collarbone length definitely looks more flattering on me than the pixie did...

oatmealpie
October 14th, 2013, 10:10 AM
I've found that curling my hair (pin curls, rag curls, or bee bottom curls are all LHC-approved) helps to eat up some of the length temporarily while I'm at that awkward just-past-shoulders length. It's helped me to stop thinking about cutting it.

alimc
October 14th, 2013, 11:26 AM
WoolSweater try to remember how you felt after you cut short the last time, it might help you fight the urge...? I gave in to those urges last November and within weeks hated my short hair, and it's taken me till now to get (nearly) all that length back!! I'm hoping the feelings of hair grief will stop me from chopping again in the future... To waist and beyond!! (In a buzz light year stylie!)

BlondeWavyGal
October 15th, 2013, 10:05 AM
Reporting in!

I tried the towel test. My hair just reachs the towel, but im not going to call it APL until its solid.
I estimate I will be there near the end of november!
WOOHOO! Thats an early start for BSL in 2014! Maybe waist in 2015/2016?

RainbowPearl
October 15th, 2013, 10:19 AM
I know how you feel woolsweater, we have about the same length. I try to keep it in a French twist, sock bun, or pony tail so that it doesn't look so short. It really is an awkward stage to be at. Grow hair grow!!

WoolSweater
October 15th, 2013, 10:43 AM
OOh, how does one sock bun short hair? Is there a tutorial you followed?

Alimc, you are *so* right, I keep trying to remember how awful I felt, however now my mind is saying "but that was a bad haircut, go in and get a good one!" haha. Auugh!

Thanks for the support, everyone. I do think a layered bob or super long hair suits my face... which one will win..

Liz_park
October 15th, 2013, 09:09 PM
@Woolsweater - Hang in there! You'll grow soon enough. I've been wearing my hair up and also trying those pin curls -- they actually turn out really well after a bit of practice!

@BlondeWavyGal - Yay! I am so happy for you! :D I have not passed the towel test yet but I am getting there!

I have been feeling long lately and I just updated my signature to include the difference between September and October! Hehe, it's not much, but it is definitely getting there! I think I can definitely make it to APL by Christmas! Yay!

0xalis
October 15th, 2013, 09:44 PM
@BlondeWavyGal: CONGRATS!!!! I am so happy for you~ I won't be even CLOSE to passing the towel test for a while now.
@Liz: Your hair pretty much looks APL to me in your siggy. If I saw you irl I'd be jealous and be like "I wish I was APL already... :(" lol

ETA: So back in April I shaved a small section of hair by my neck... it grew 4 inches in 6 months! I can't wait for it to be long enough to put into my updos... -_-

And also, I can't wait until my hair is a more braid-able length. My friend, who's hair is nearing classic length, wears her hair in a braid every day. We have very similar hair types, so she's daily hairspiration for me. :o
She's not LHC-grade paranoid about her hair so she doesn't take pristine care of it but it's still growing! Every day I remind myself that if she can do it, then so can I!

Liz_park
October 15th, 2013, 09:52 PM
@emilylightning: Awww, thanks! Almost there! I think I will be a solid APL in a few months and then we can graduate to the APL to BSL thread! Wahoo! :D

ScorpioImogen
October 16th, 2013, 05:05 AM
Does it have to be all your hair touching APL or just the bottom, as my hair seems to grow much quicker at the back than the sides

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o203/kirsty_170/1069346_487366918037587_255041857_n.jpg (http://s121.photobucket.com/user/kirsty_170/media/1069346_487366918037587_255041857_n.jpg.html)

ScorpioImogen
October 16th, 2013, 05:29 AM
Here's a closer view of October's length and I've drawn on where I think APL is? What do you guys think? It's the longest my hairs been in 10 years, after bleaching disasters and flicking between blonde and brown, no more bleach for me!

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o203/kirsty_170/untitled.jpg (http://s121.photobucket.com/user/kirsty_170/media/untitled.jpg.html)

joflakes
October 16th, 2013, 05:43 AM
Here's a closer view of October's length and I've drawn on where I think APL is? What do you guys think? It's the longest my hairs been in 10 years, after bleaching disasters and flicking between blonde and brown, no more bleach for me!

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o203/kirsty_170/untitled.jpg (http://s121.photobucket.com/user/kirsty_170/media/untitled.jpg.html)

That looks about right for me! If you are really unsure, take off your clothes, get a towel and put it under your arms and then take a picture from behind and that'll tell you exactly where it is. :)

Sorry I haven't been here all that much, I kinda missed my 'graduation' and am now nearly BSL! :O crazy stuff!

ScorpioImogen
October 16th, 2013, 05:49 AM
Thanx for getting back to me :) will it be when the very tip of my hair touches the towel, as my hair seems to grow in a "V" shape, congrates on nearly BSL!

RainbowPearl
October 16th, 2013, 01:28 PM
@ WoolSweater:

The way I make a sock bun with my hair is quite easy to do. I will try to explain myself. LOL

First start off by making a sock bun. You use an old sock and cut off the toe part. Then you roll the sock up making it look like a doughnut.

Once you have your doughnut you put your hair up into a pony tail and secure with an elastic. Then you insert you pony tail into the sock bun. Spread your hair around the sock bun covering it completely an slide another elastic over your hair so that your hair stays covering the sock bun. With the bit of hair that sticks out you slide it around the bun and pin it with bobby pins under the bun. You can dress it up by putting a scrunchy around the bun if you like scrunches or anything else you want. Or if you prefer wear nothing at all.

I hope that I have explained myself well enough for you to understand. I found this way by doing a search for (short hair updo tutorials).

Liz_park
October 16th, 2013, 04:30 PM
@ScorpioImogen: Wow that is some great growth! Congrats!

In other news, I was reading another thread and I came across this long hair blog which describes an interesting theory about trimming and taper. I know I have a long way to go before I have to worry about taper at waist length (lol), but I thought it was interesting and it gave me some ideas of how I plan to grow and trim! I know some of us are dreaming of long hair, so maybe this will help inform you too!

Here is the link to the blog: http://longhairedatheart.blogspot.ca/2010/03/even-hemline-without-loosing-length.html

After reading this, I think I will probably grow all the way to BSL or mid-back and then even the hemline from there, rather than doing any big chops to remove my layers.

bananahanna
October 16th, 2013, 10:11 PM
I think I'm finally here. Maybe another two weeks and it will be for sure. But today I'm my tank top I kept feeling my hair rub against my shoulder tops. (: yay! Hopefully I can be at apl by my birthday in April!

0xalis
October 18th, 2013, 12:18 AM
Welcome, bananahanna, and anyone else I forgot to welcome! [I wanna welcome all of the newbies, dangit!]

This just in: I'm changing my long-term goal again. Well, not exactly changing it. For the longest time I thought the length I was looking at was hip... it was actually BCL/tailbone. I want my hair to rest on/cover my hips in the front.

I'll be ecstatic to just get past BSL and prove everyone wrong, but I know what I want and I'm gonna fight to get it!

Also, I'm pretty much doing benign neglect in that I'm keeping my hair as much as possible, including at home, and not pulling it straight. I'm not measuring until December, either. Since I am doing a project with my hair growth pics I can't exactly not take them, but I need to ignore my hair so I don't go crazy :silly:

Haybop
October 18th, 2013, 12:22 AM
Welcome all :D

That sounds like a good goal emily :) I'm just aiming for terminal at the moment (may change dependent on manageability though ;D). Benign neglect is definitely one of the ways to go, I've only just put my tape measure away and left it - but the pics still happen ;D

bananahanna
October 18th, 2013, 01:27 AM
Thank you, emilylightning, I can completely relate to the goal lengths you're setting! I just looked through my facebook pictures from the last few years and realized that I've never been to BSL either (since I was a kid) so in excited to find someone with a similar length and goal :)

Sunny_side_up
October 19th, 2013, 07:56 AM
Hi all, I haven't taken a back of the head pic for a little while! And think i'm finally touching APL. Went and cut front layers a few months ago... But aiming for more length before I begin trimming again. I want to even up the ends.
A pic from the beginning of this year and 2nd pic was taken yesterday :)
http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag45/sunny_side_up1/100_8783_zpsf156fc51.jpg (http://s1298.photobucket.com/user/sunny_side_up1/media/100_8783_zpsf156fc51.jpg.html)

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag45/sunny_side_up1/100_8898_zps541179e4.jpg (http://s1298.photobucket.com/user/sunny_side_up1/media/100_8898_zps541179e4.jpg.html)

Liz_park
October 19th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Sunny_side_up: you are definitely there!! Congrats! :) :cheese:

Sunny_side_up
October 19th, 2013, 02:01 PM
Yay thanks! Benign neglect is working ha ha, been three months no trim. Between jan-jul I trimmed three times! Just leaving it be for now. Congratulations to you also! :flower:

0xalis
October 20th, 2013, 12:40 AM
Omg, Sunny_side_up, CONGRATULATIONS!!! <3

WOW I am so sick of being this stupid length -_-
Yesterday I was having problems getting my hair up and I feel like I killed it via manipulation and I did wind up finding splits and I had my mom microtrim again...
I have no idea if the damage I found was cumulative or truly from trying to get it to stay in the freaking cinnabun.
I keep feeling like my hair will never grow and I should just chop it to chin to get rid of the rest of the bleach TT^TT
But of course, I'm not going to do that because that'd be stupid. I'm always going to want long hair so I better keep going.
I'm also irritated that my hair will get damaged if I wear it down because the whole point of me having long hair was for it to look good down... :steam
I need like nothing but satin blouses/dresses and satin lined hoodies because I do NOT want my hair rubbing against cotton [or any other fabric] EVER.
Uhg it just feels like it's all for nothing at this point.

I'm sorry that I post so much in here, there's just not really anywhere else that I can.

Sunny_side_up
October 20th, 2013, 02:54 AM
Thank you emilylightning! :blossom: Your fringe is so cute and your hair is growing out healthily! Before you know it, it will be longer, patience and more patience. To be honest I have not been paying my hair too much attention. Few years ago I had a lot of layers and lost lots of length over time from too many small trims. Try not to get bogged down on every lil thing about your hair and as the months pass you'll see results! Happy growing! :D

janeytilllie
October 20th, 2013, 05:43 AM
@ emilylightning

I'm very sorry your frustrated with your hair. :flower:

I too find having this hair length is very awkward due to the lack of hairstyles we can do.

I used to get really upset when I tried to do bun styles and they didn't work.

One hairstyle that was saved me from insanity, is the cheaters bun or split bun :)

It's quick, easy and protects the ends. The best thing anyone with shoulder length + hair can do it :)

Instructions
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=25145

I modify mine a little. I use a silk scrunchie in my hair color for it to blend. Plus it protects my ends from splits and from pulling to much. I always place a big scrunchie at the back of the bun and hair stick. I find it holds better and makes the bun look bigger.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6938&d=1382269031

This is my everyday hairstyle, it protects. I can also use all my hairsticks :D

I hope this helps :)

janeytilllie
October 20th, 2013, 05:46 AM
@ Sunny_side_up

Your hair is very beautiful. Congrats on reaching APL! :hifive:

Sunny_side_up
October 20th, 2013, 11:16 AM
Thank you janeytilllie! Your hair has great shine and is a lovely colour. I wanted lighter brown hair and went for a permanent box dye in the summer. Wont be doing that again. Feeling my hair is a little dryer because of this and it did unsettle my scalp. Back on coconut oil massages and plan to braid more after I wash it & use mineral oil to help with locking in moisture :)

browneyedsusan
October 20th, 2013, 11:54 AM
Welcome, new ones! :waving:
I've been on a little vacation, but am back now. Hotel water is VERY uncooperative with hair. --Just saying it out loud.--

I haven't forgotten the pincurls, and will get after them the next time I wash. I'm not a good photographer, but will do the best I can. :)

bexcalo
October 20th, 2013, 04:06 PM
Hey there all!
Im newly signed up but have been a lurker here for a while. Quick back story to my hair, apologies if pic heavy.
My hair used to be gorgeously long about 2 years ago
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151134720850392&l=7d072b1bae
Then for some stupid reason i got it all cut off
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152032192415392&l=b2da87ccec
Then went blonde
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152408798100392&l=0562ca5257
Then red
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152580619420392&l=1d89a152a7
Back to a dark brown
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152918763690392&l=daa6eee108
then butchered my hair by trying to strip the dark out and go light brown then ombre the ends and ended up a mess and having to chop more hair off! This is it now scrunched dried
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153277256490392&l=bc9de030a0
and straight
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153317859190392&l=c37525f4ba

all the while i was messing around with my hair ( the blonde started in jan this year!) i have been trying to grow my hair but because of all the crap i have done to it this year it has not grown at all (well it has but its snapping off quicker than it grows). The ombre ends are there as the ends won't take colour anymore! Although i have been using protein treatments and I'm hoping to henna it soon and maybe this will fix this as well. My hair generally grows super fast especially when I'm not trying. This year i have been trying and its just not worked. From now on i am seriously trying to look after my hair and get it to APL by xmas if not jan.
I use FAST shampoo by nisim and do love this stuff! I take skin hair and nails from holland and barrett as its to biotin in it. I have also just started the daktarin stuff and will see how that goes. Fingers crossed
Bex
ps i hope these pics come out i can't figure out how to attach as it won't let me