PDA

View Full Version : aloe vera gel and coconut oil! WOW

Sarah4983
September 15th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Anyone else have luck with coconut oil and aloe vera gel as a leave-in conditioner?? I was kind of hesitant to use aloe as a leave in thinking it may make my hair crunchy....

BEST my hair has looked (since it's been "longer") after putting this combination in my damp hair. I put the coconut oil in first and then about a quarter size dollop of aloe.

I have the shine I used to get from 'cones but my hair is still full and not flat like it would get after using 'cones.

Anyone else like this combination as a leave-in or something similar?

teela1978
September 15th, 2009, 06:15 PM
I haven't used it lately... not sure where my aloe disappeared to after my last move... but I used to like it a lot.

Cherry_Sprinkle
September 15th, 2009, 06:19 PM
I usually use Aloe + Oil as my leave in :) I usually use EVOO though since I need a good heavy oil. :)

tooqute2nv
September 15th, 2009, 06:21 PM
I've been having troubles on finding a good aloe vera gel, which one are you peeps using? I'd love to give this a try!! :D

teela1978
September 15th, 2009, 06:43 PM
I've been having troubles on finding a good aloe vera gel, which one are you peeps using? I'd love to give this a try!! :D

I've used a few brands, but the easiest to get/cheapest in my experience is fruit of the earth. Walmart, target, and my local grocery store carry it. Its not 100% aloe, but its alcohol free, and functions well enough.

Flynn
September 15th, 2009, 06:45 PM
AVG+Walnut oil works magic for me, too ^__^

Not as much of a coconut fan as many people, to be honest.

Sarah4983
September 15th, 2009, 06:53 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3251&pictureid=50389

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3251&pictureid=50388

I used the fruit of the earth aloe also.

Seriously, this is the best my hair has looked/felt in a long while. After many experiments, this is definitely the best result.

(Now if only I could find something for cowlicks!!! hahaha)

freecelt
September 15th, 2009, 08:26 PM
I've used each independently and can't wait to try them together! :)

misstwist
September 15th, 2009, 09:22 PM
I generally mix the aloe and coconut oil in my hand before applying.

Glad you are happy with the mix.

ravenreed
September 15th, 2009, 11:52 PM
I do much the same, except I wet my hands first, then add a squirt of oil and a dollop of the the aloe gel and mix it all around. My ends love it. I usually do it on wet hair because that seems to be when my hair absorbs it best.

I generally mix the aloe and coconut oil in my hand before applying.

Glad you are happy with the mix.

Green Elf
September 16th, 2009, 02:57 AM
Yes, I tried last week, and it's wonderful!!!! I left it on my hair a few hours before washing, than I re-applied a little bit as a leave-in... my hair has never been so soft and the waves are well defined!! I love it!

redneckprincess
September 16th, 2009, 08:14 AM
I love my aloe as a leave in I have yet to purchase the coconut oil

marikamt
September 16th, 2009, 09:54 AM
I just "found" aloe as a leave in earlier this week...... now I am going to try mixing it w/ my coconut oil... thanks for the tip!

jivete
September 16th, 2009, 10:17 AM
When I tried the aloe gel you eat, I wasn't impressed. But I love the CVS clear aloe gel for sun-burns. I have yet to be able to apply oil on wet hair and not get stringy hair, but I do mix it with my conditioner and use it as a leave in.

Maybe I need to revisit oil on damp hair, just the teeniest amount of oil to start...