PDA

View Full Version : Black hair and henna?

SandyStar
September 13th, 2009, 02:15 PM
I read a bit about henna and I'm curious about it, but I wonder, would it make any difference at all to my naturally black hair?

I'm thinking no colour will take on my black hair, the black overwhelms anything.

I remember when I bleached a strand to dye purple and it took repeated bleachings to get it light enough for dye to take. I don't want to wreak my hair with bleach, that's for sure.

Would the henna give my hair a bit of a red tone in sunlight? Although, I think my undertones are warm, not cool.

Would the henna at least condition my hair?

Lemur_Catta
September 13th, 2009, 02:17 PM
I think you will be able to see some red in the sunlight, but nothing more than that. Why don't you do a strand test, just to be sure?

camirra555
September 13th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Henna would definitely condition your hair. You would also get reddish tones in the light. Aisha has black hair and she used to henna (I believe she does indigo now). Hopefully she'll pop in to this thread

Mutinous
September 13th, 2009, 02:20 PM
I have naturally dark hair too and henna didn't really make much of a difference in terms of colour. It felt really good after though.

sweetnmellow
September 13th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Hey there,

The conditioning effect of henna will be there for sure if you leave it on for 3- 4 hours I would say that you will get a bit of a deep red highlights in the sun. I have done henna on my friend who has very black natural hair and it gave her the shine, volume and conditioning treatment plus a bit of red highlights in the daylight. I use indian henna so it is more of red tone, if you use moroccan henna it would be more coppery. I hope it works well on you but IMO it will look nice and shiny and voluminous and worth a try!

good luck let us know how it looks if you go for it!

SandyStar
September 13th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. It sounds like it wouldn't be too risky to try henna on my hair. It certainly wouldn't drastically change my hair colour. I like red high lights. The conditioning aspect would be enough to try on it's own.

I'm going to do more research on henna. I'm also thinking henna would be great for when I get older and get white hairs. Then I'd have red highlights against black. I think that would look nice.

GlassEyes
September 13th, 2009, 02:41 PM
I have near black hair, and with multiple hennaeings, my color shines burgandy in the sun--even on my undamaged roots. :) To be sure, when I first started, the orange/red tone did too, though it still looks dark indoors.

A family freind commented how my hair looked lighter when we were in the car in broad daylight, and I had to tell her that henna 'flares' in the sun. Unlike other color, which saturates the inner parts of the hair and such, henna sticks to the surface, thus light is reflected across it and it'll 'flare' no matter what color you have. Sure, the color will affect how bright it is, but it should still be somewhat noticable.

SandyStar
September 13th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Oh neat! I would love for my hair to have more reddish hues. I love Burgandy. I'm going to try it sometime. I'll have to find some time to do it though and find out more about it.

The surface colouring makes sense. Oooh, I can't wait to try it.

GlassEyes
September 13th, 2009, 03:24 PM
hennaforhair.com is a great site.

KEep in mind, I have done repeated applications over a period of close to two years. :p It took a while for my hair to go burgundy--however, mixing henna with Special Affects Blood Red, or, of course, burgundy wine would probably speed it up. :D I think that's my next course of action with my hair, after I dye over these godforsaken streaks.

florenonite
September 13th, 2009, 03:27 PM
I'm also thinking henna would be great for when I get older and get white hairs. Then I'd have red highlights against black. I think that would look nice.

I saw an Indian woman on the bus with waist-length hair like this once and it was beautiful. I nearly told her that I liked it, but I was too nervous to.

Also, you say you're warm-toned, not cool. This is good for henna, as it has naturally warm tones, so it should suit you.

GlassEyes
September 13th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Though this IS with flash, and slightly exaggerated, this is fairly accurately representative of my haircolor with henna in the sun, before I dyed it, anyway--though it's coming back.

http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv172/Astatl/DSCF1674.jpg

And though it's straight, this is a good representation of my natural hair color:

http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv172/Astatl/SD530096-1-1.jpg

And since I can't find the GOOD picture that shows my henna color in full on, bright sunlight, this is an overcast pic--the color of my frizz up top (great, it serves a purpose) is more accurate, but it was a bit more purple-toned.

http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv172/Astatl/2984_69916544302_537114302_15309-2.jpg

Oh, and the second pic was after a henna and blood red dyeing, at some point.

florenonite
September 13th, 2009, 03:49 PM
GlassEyes: can I have your hair? Please? The colour and the curls are both stunning!

GlassEyes
September 13th, 2009, 03:55 PM
GlassEyes: can I have your hair? Please? The colour and the curls are both stunning!
Only if I can have your's! XD; But thank you. :)

Morticia
September 13th, 2009, 04:04 PM
I've been hennaing my hair for 5 years, and the only time people can notice the red is when I'm in bright sunlight. Then, there is a slight burgundy glow. Otherwise, no one can tell.

The henna does have benefits in making my hair fuller and shinier. It also really soothes my scalp.

For the past few years, I've gone to a stylist to have them bleach some 1 inch sections of hair on the underside of my hair. The henna turns them bright burgundy. Honestly, the bleached sections don't seem any more damaged than the rest of my hair.

Aisha25
September 13th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Henna is the best on black hair I henna every week and I get the best conditioning and shine,my hair has so many colors from henna in the sun but looks jet black in doors I love it.