PDA

View Full Version : Breakage at temples and nape....

bahannas
September 11th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Hey all, sorry if this has been posted. Well, school's started up again and it's time to return to my itchy uniform. :rolleyes: I've been kind of neglecting my hair lately, and have noticed pretty bad breakage at my temples. I know it's not new growth because the ends are frayed and crinkled. Also, it seems that my high-collared oxford shirt is damaging the hair at my nape. I'm constantly finding little knots and splits around that area. Is there anything I can do to help and prevent this? I really don't know where to start.

Thanks for any feedback! :)

linda g
September 11th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Do you wear glasses? I've noticed that my hair sometimes gets caught in the hinge of my glasses, and then breaks when I take them off :(

bahannas
September 11th, 2009, 04:31 PM
No, I don't wear glasses. :cool:

linda g
September 11th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Well, so much for that theory! :D I logged on today wondering how people handled glasses breakage, so maybe I need to try out the "Search" function...

Teacherbear
September 11th, 2009, 06:53 PM
If you don't wear glasses, do you rest your hand on the side of your head? Do you wear bracelets that might catch on your hair?

My hair is pretty bad at my nape because I always wear a certain necklace that my hubby gave to me. I've switched out the chain so my hair doesn't catch it is like it use to in the original chain . . . but it still catches. I just check the chain several times a day (nervous habit, now) for it being wrapped with hair. I've learned to gently work the hair from around it without snapping hair. The hair may be damaged, but it isn't broken off.

Just an idea.

KaasKnot
September 11th, 2009, 06:58 PM
You could try wearing your hair up in buns and French braids, or any style that pulls hair back from the temples. That could help prevent further damage.

jahof45
September 11th, 2009, 07:28 PM
I don't have advice but I have the same breakage at my temples so would like to watch this thread for any advice you receive. Someone recommended buying a silk pillow case to reduce temple breakage but I haven't gotten one yet.

Olivia23
September 11th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Hmm, I have breakage at the nape of my neck and I don't know why either. I don't wear jewelry so I'm wondering if it's from updos. I mostly wear my hair in a bun, and I am wondering if the twisting is causing breaking at the nape. I don't know for sure though.

Flynn
September 11th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Could the breakage at the temples be from sleeping on it?

Melisande
September 12th, 2009, 01:52 AM
I have temple hair from hell and for three years now, no matter what I do, it breaks. I oil, I sleep on silk, I never rub it, I don't wear glasses or sunglasses, I pamper my temple hair more than anything - but it WILL break.

I came to the conclusion that my temple hair has a shorter terminal length than the rest of my hair, and that I have to live with shabby-looking temple hair. It's a pity because I have a nice wave going on there. But since the hair is broken, it curls upwards and I look as though I had horns like a Viking helmet :argh:

I didn't find a solution although I asked here, too, about two years ago.

hmmruka
September 12th, 2009, 02:13 AM
I have been noticing the same breakage you describe, and I think that it is because I have to wear my hair up at work and i have to wear a collared shirt as well. I put my hair in a loose bun and I think the daily tension is breaking my hair as well as it possibly rubbing on my collar. I just try to take care of it the best I can, but I don't have a choice but to wear a collared shirt and have my hair up. Strict company policy.

GlassEyes
September 12th, 2009, 08:05 AM
I have temple hair from hell and for three years now, no matter what I do, it breaks. I oil, I sleep on silk, I never rub it, I don't wear glasses or sunglasses, I pamper my temple hair more than anything - but it WILL break.

I came to the conclusion that my temple hair has a shorter terminal length than the rest of my hair, and that I have to live with shabby-looking temple hair. It's a pity because I have a nice wave going on there. But since the hair is broken, it curls upwards and I look as though I had horns like a Viking helmet :argh:

I didn't find a solution although I asked here, too, about two years ago.

Same here. I've pretty much given up and just cake them with gel now. :(

jahof45
September 12th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Does anyone wear a silk sleep cap? Could you weigh-in about your temple hair? Maybe a silk cap eliminates that problem.

ETA: has anyone with nape breakage tried a hair net or snood to help protect that area? I know they aren't fashionable for most occassions but should look ok at work as long as you tuck it around your bun only so it's not really noticable.