PDA

View Full Version : Bad coconut oil

Aisha25
August 27th, 2009, 06:04 PM
How do you know when coconut oil has gone bad? Does a bad smell come from it? I think my oil has gone bad :wail: come on gurus help Aisha out :-(

Fractalsofhair
August 27th, 2009, 06:05 PM
I've never had this happen to me, but I have smelt bad coconut milk. It smells rancid and not coconutty, but just... Rotten and disgusting. It's not common for it to go bad, the oil at least. Not sure 'bout the milk in terms of how common it is for it to go bad. How long have you had it?

MAO
August 27th, 2009, 06:06 PM
My last jar of coconut oil went bad and had a really weird smell. It no longer smelled like coconut, it smelled kinda rancid and it burned my eyes when I used it to clean my face.

Carrie Ingalls
August 27th, 2009, 06:24 PM
I have not had a jar of coconut oil go bad on me. However I have had it maybe...(okay I'm really sure)...go rancid in my hair. (I will be writing more about my summer experiment sometime in the future).
It smells 'off' and sort of rancid but mostly 'off.' Also it seems to go bad faster in warm/hot temperatures. For the time being mine is in the fridge (yes, using it needs a little planning prep ahead of time).

Charlotte
August 27th, 2009, 06:46 PM
I think it definately goes "off" if it's left in the hair for too long. It starts to smell really yucky. I only use it before a wash now and never as a leave in anymore. It could be that I live in a warm climate. :o

Sarah4983
August 27th, 2009, 06:56 PM
I've had a large bottle of coconut oil for about 2 months now and it says "refrigerate after opening", however, I didn't refrigerate it and it's been at a liquidy state for the entire 2 months...

Is it going to go bad anytime soon??

Copasetic
August 27th, 2009, 07:01 PM
I have never had coconut oil go bad on me, but if mine started to smell weird, I would definitely stop using it. A change in smell is a bad sign.

SimplyViki
August 27th, 2009, 07:16 PM
I have never had coconut oil go bad on me, but if mine started to smell weird, I would definitely stop using it. A change in smell is a bad sign.

What she said. :agrees:

That and if you've ever smelled rancid oil, you can recognize that smell in lots of things that have gone bad - rancid olive oil, rancid nuts, rancid um... well, you get the picture. It has a very unpleasant smell...

girloctopus
August 27th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Coconut oil usually does not go rancid very quickly because it is mostly made up of saturated lipids. The structure of the saturated fats is fairly stable and they do not oxidize easily. However, it can go bad due to oxidation eventually. It'll smell bad or "off" because of the short chain fatty acids created by oxidation. (weird, huh?)

Anyway, if it smells bad or just wrong in any way, I would toss it and get a new one. It might look clumpy too, but with coconut oil normally being solid at room temperature, that's somewhat hard to tell!

rexy
August 27th, 2009, 07:22 PM
^^^ +2 If it is bad you will have no doubt!

Flynn
August 27th, 2009, 11:10 PM
How do you know when coconut oil has gone bad? Does a bad smell come from it? I think my oil has gone bad :wail: come on gurus help Aisha out :-(

Yes, oils do go bad (a year or two for most, maybe more or less depending on climate). When they do, they smell horrible. There is also often a texture change.

maaria
August 28th, 2009, 06:05 AM
My coconutoil doesnt smell anything but if I have had it in my hair for a half day or so it smells strange..? Time to buy new bottle of coconut or??

Tomato
August 28th, 2009, 06:20 AM
Besides a change in smell and texture I think you could observe a change in colour: If bad, it could have a yellowish tinge.

maaria
August 28th, 2009, 07:06 AM
That was good to know,thanx :)

getoffmyskittle
August 28th, 2009, 07:15 AM
Yes, if it's gone bad it'll smell different (rancid). It may also appear yellow instead of white.

Aisha25
August 28th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Yes, if it's gone bad it'll smell different (rancid). It may also appear yellow instead of white.
It smells alittle different than usual like more I dont know how to describe but more sour nutty. The color is still clear though. You think its ok if Im still using it?? Cause I am even though it doesnt smell good in my hair anymore :(

SimplyViki
August 28th, 2009, 09:05 AM
It smells alittle different than usual like more I dont know how to describe but more sour nutty. The color is still clear though. You think its ok if Im still using it?? Cause I am even though it doesnt smell good in my hair anymore :(
Sour nutty sounds like a close description of a rancid smell. I'm not sure what the chemical implications are when an oil goes rancid, though, so I have no idea how that would affect how it performs in your hair. :shrug:

I'd just throw it out if I were you.

Anje
August 28th, 2009, 09:22 AM
I had a bottle of coconut oil start smelling, of all things, like bacon! I don't know whether that's a sign of rancidity, but it was just too weird to use.

(Then again, I suppose I could have taken a cue for that Taco Bell commercial and used it as male-attracting perfume!)

Aisha25
August 28th, 2009, 09:30 AM
I had a bottle of coconut oil start smelling, of all things, like bacon! I don't know whether that's a sign of rancidity, but it was just too weird to use.

Lol I remember that I dont know how bacon smells but im thinking my oil might be smelling like it.

(Then again, I suppose I could have taken a cue for that Taco Bell commercial and used it as male-attracting perfume!)

:laugh:

getoffmyskittle
August 28th, 2009, 10:12 AM

I don't know. I don't think it will hurt anything, but rancidity means the oil is decomposing, and natural decomposition can involve bacteria/fungi (though not always). I certainly wouldn't put it on my scalp.

:lol: I don't think it's TOO weird. After all, bacon is fried fat, and coconut oil is a saturated fat, and the frying changes the composition... :shrug:

Aisha25
August 28th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Ok I think I wont use it anymore after hearing that. Thanks skitts

Norai
August 28th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Since it's so saturated, it should last a good 2 years or so as long as its not kept at high temperatures. If it's non-virgin oil, it should smell like nothing at all -- if it smells funny, it's probably rancid. :)

Rancidity is not bacterial decomposition, it is the oxidation of the molecules in the oil - there's a slew of reactions going on with electrons being stolen and new molecules being formed all over (some new molecules are aldehydes, which is what you would smell mainly), but you're basically getting a big pile of free radicals in there. Free radicals are what cause DNA damage and cancer in people, so I'd definitely avoid it.

I'm not saying you'd give yourself cancer by using it -- your body has methods of handling free radicals, but they definitely aren't good for you. :)

getoffmyskittle
August 28th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Rancidity is not bacterial decomposition, it is the oxidation of the molecules in the oil - there's a slew of reactions going on with electrons being stolen and new molecules being formed all over (some new molecules are aldehydes, which is what you would smell mainly), but you're basically getting a big pile of free radicals in there. Free radicals are what cause DNA damage and cancer in people, so I'd definitely avoid it.

Thanks for clarifying, I wasn't sure. :p

Othala
August 28th, 2009, 02:59 PM
No need to worry about rancid coconut oil. In South India where some of my family are from, it is the rancid oil that is preferred for application to the hair, especially if it has had methi seeds steeped in it and been left out in the sun for a few weeks.

Old is gold as they say!

Aisha25
August 28th, 2009, 03:04 PM
No need to worry about rancid coconut oil. In South India where some of my family are from, it is the rancid oil that is preferred for application to the hair, especially if it has had methi seeds steeped in it and been left out in the sun for a few weeks.

Old is gold as they say!
Really? hmm this changes everything then :hmm:

getoffmyskittle
August 28th, 2009, 04:50 PM
My family is South Indian too and they say to get rid of the old oil. :confused: Too stinky. :wink:

Aisha25
August 28th, 2009, 04:56 PM
lol in N.India they say to throw it away too :lol:

Vrushali
August 28th, 2009, 05:00 PM
I think if you leave it out in a really warm place it starts to smell funky...trust me u will know when it goes bad!

Aisha25
August 28th, 2009, 05:04 PM
I had left it above my stove on the top ledge part for like 6months or so.

getoffmyskittle
August 28th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Yeah, mine usually lasts longer than 6 months but I also keep it in a cool area, not above the stove...

Aisha25
August 28th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Yeah I shouldnt do that anymore.

Othala
August 29th, 2009, 06:20 AM
Ha! Maybe it's just my strange family that cherishes stinky oil. They also like aged basmati rice. The older the better.

ChloeDharma
August 29th, 2009, 11:28 AM
If it smells bad then i'd throw it away. I had some parachute coconut oil go bad on me....not pleasant!

ratgirldjh
August 29th, 2009, 11:35 AM
I have actually bought coconut oil that was rancid! Immediately I could tell something was wrong. I made the mistake of tasting it and it even tasted 'wrong'. I took it back and got another brand and haven't had that problem since.

If it no longer smells coconutty it is probably rancid. If it burns when you taste it - it is bad.
Oh - and like someone else said - the smell of it burned my eyes!!!

And I thought that was what was so great about coconut oil - that it doesn't go rancid???

Once i bought some sesame oil that ended up being so rancid that I couldn't get anywhere near it once I opened it! Wow - it made me feel ill to even smell it - rancid oil is very gross. I would throw it out just in case it might make you sick if you put it on your hair.

Better safe than sorry or stinky LOL :)

RavennaNight
August 29th, 2009, 09:29 PM
I thought my coconut oil had gone bad in May, I had 1/5 of a jar left. It smelled weird and synthetic plasticky. I don't think it went bad, but got contaminated with other hair products. But I got a new one.

Diamondbell
August 31st, 2009, 12:37 AM
I would do the same thing: if the coconut oil smells bad, throw it away!! :D

Aisha25
August 31st, 2009, 08:21 AM
Yeah I shouldnt leave it on the top of the stove I dont know what I was thinking :doh: . My other coconut oil I had left in the closet is fine and smells beautiful .

Anje
September 1st, 2009, 02:38 PM
I suppose I should get in the habit of aliquotting out a portion of my oils and refrigerating the rest.

ericthegreat
September 1st, 2009, 09:16 PM
I keep my jar of coconut oil on the bottom shelf of the fridge, which is at a constant temp of around 38F. Normally I will use either olive oil or avocado oil(or just recently now Ojon oil) because they stay in liquid form at much lower temps than coconut oil and are thus still easier to spread over my hair even in the fall and winter. When I do plan on using coconut oil however, I will take the jar out of the fridge and using my fingers scoop out a little chunk of cold solid coconut oil and I will melt it by rubbing my hands together and then apply it to my hair.