PDA

View Full Version : Suave Naturals conditioners

curls2grow
August 21st, 2009, 06:15 AM
Does anyone know if all of the Suave Naturals conditioners are all cone-free, sulfate-free and paraben-free? I know that some of them have protein.

GlassEyes
August 21st, 2009, 06:19 AM
Yep. I CO wash with them. Tropical Coconut is my favorite (when my hair is tolerating protein) followed by the clarifying one. The clarifying shampoo, ironically, has a cone, but the conditioner doesn't.

RoseRedDead
August 21st, 2009, 06:22 AM
All of the Suave Naturals are cone-free. They should be free of sulfates (I don't know why a sulfate would be in a conditioner). I don't think they're paraben-free.

GlassEyes
August 21st, 2009, 06:33 AM
All of the Suave Naturals are cone-free. They should be free of sulfates (I don't know why a sulfate would be in a conditioner). I don't think they're paraben-free.
Oops, missed this one.

I checked three of my bottles (Tropical Coconut, Aloe and Waterlily, and I think Cherry Blossom) and there's no obvious parabens that I can find, but if there's some tricky oes like with cones, I wouldn't noticed them. But no methylparaben or anything.

Don't let the name fool you though--the only thing supposed to be 'natural' about them is the scent--though the coconut has honey in it too.

curls2grow
August 21st, 2009, 07:29 AM
All of the Suave Naturals are cone-free. They should be free of sulfates (I don't know why a sulfate would be in a conditioner). I don't think they're paraben-free. LUSH conditioners have sodium lauryl sulfate in them. I used to take for granted that all conditioners don't have sulfates until I saw that LUSH does. Another brand does this too, but I don't recall the name. Will update if I think of it soon.

Fractalsofhair
August 21st, 2009, 08:16 AM
Wait, about the scent? Is it only from essential oils? Or is there artificial fragrance oil added?

GlassEyes
August 21st, 2009, 09:59 AM
Wait, about the scent? Is it only from essential oils? Or is there artificial fragrance oil added?
Parfum. So artificial.

I think I mislead with my statement. It's supposed to SMELL natural, but that doesn't mean it is. :D

Fractalsofhair
August 21st, 2009, 10:02 AM
Parfum. So artificial.

I think I mislead with my statement. It's supposed to SMELL natural, but that doesn't mean it is. :D

Ah darn! I was hoping it would help with my allergies. (I have fragrance allergies that are getting better, but not perfect yet.) Meh, 365 unscented still works. I was hoping Suave would have jumped on the same bandwagon Burt's Bees did with their Super Shiny and not used artificial fragrance. And don't they all "smell natural" due to "herbal extracts" XD. (not that an artificial smell is a bad thing for all of us, but certainly most shampoos don't have herbs in them in a great enough quanity to make a difference!)

jasper
March 27th, 2010, 08:28 AM
I'm about ready to give up reading the bottles to try to figure out what's in these products. When I'm at the store, the big words all sound like awful stuff and I can't figure remember what I've read about here.

I bought Suave Tropical Coconut last week and liked my hair more this week than I have in a long time. I feel like I have more volume and better waves, such as mine are. It's inexpensive and my hair likes it so far. I hope "tolerating protein" doesn't become an issue any time soon!

Athena's Owl
March 27th, 2010, 06:50 PM
If it is, just clarify and change it up.

heh, as a curly i have pretty much figured out that "one set of products that work all the time" is a big old myth from mythsville.

lunagoose
March 27th, 2010, 10:33 PM
Suave Naturals Coconut Conditioner (a popular conditioner used by many LHC members) contains the following ingredients:

Water (Aqua), Cetyl Alcohol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Fragrance (Parfum), Distearyldimonium Chloride, Disodium EDTA, Glycerin, 2 Bromo 2 Nitropropane 1, 3 Diol, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Propylene Glycol, Silk Amino Acids, Honey (Mel), Nettle (Urtica Dioica) Extract, Rosemary (Rosmarinus Officinalis) Extract, Coconut (Cocoa Nucifera) Extract

There are no cones, parabens and sulfates however there are some suspicious ingredients that I would like to know more about:

Some ingredients that I am not familiar with:

Distearyldimonium Chloride: In household products, it may be found as an ingredient in fabric softeners, cosmetics, and hair conditioners in which it is added primarily for its antistatic effects.

Classified as irritant. Causes wildlife and environmental toxicity

Source: http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/ingredient.php?ingred06=702183, Wikipedia

Silk Amino Acids: A natural water-soluble source of acid derived from liquid silk; these acids help moisture penetrate the skin (aid in absorption) and aid in skin healing. Used in skin and hair products, powder, and color makeup.

http://en.mimi.hu/beauty/silk_amino_acids.html

2 Bromo 2 Nitropropane 1, 3 Diol-is a highly active antimicrobial chemical compound used in skin care, hair conditioners, paints, disinfectants, water treatment plants.

Known human immune system toxicant, known human lung and skin toxicant, one or more animal studies show gastrointestinal effects at very low doses.

Source: www.cosmeticdatabase.com

Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone-is a powerful biocide and preservative within the group of isothiazolinones, used in shampoos and body care products (used as a preservative, substitutes parabens most likely). Methylisothiazolinone and other isothiazolinone-derived biocides are utilized for controlling microbial growth in water-containing solutions.

Though long considered safe for use in cosmetics, two recent in vitro studies have shown that MIT is neurotoxic, causing damage to rat brain cells in tissue culture.
Regulatory authorities in the USA, Japan and Europe and more than 25 other countries have all independently concluded the product is safe. Despite these claims, the studies published in scientific journals suggest that additional testing may be needed.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylisothiazolinone

There are a few suspicious ingredients in this product despite the lack of sulfates and parabens, however they should be in minimal quantities and thus not harmful to humans. The chemical fillers are also hard to avoid unless you are buying all natural and organic products. I hope this helps in your decision to purchase the Suave conditioners.