PDA

View Full Version : Flip your wig to wash :D

HotRag
July 8th, 2009, 09:41 AM
A bit of a problem here.

When I wash, I bend over the tub, flip my hair upside down and wash.

So far, so good. Just a bit of back pain sometimes.

But, my hair likes to get detangled when damp, so I have to detangle, then flip back and detangle again.
But that can pull hair, and must give it more wear than just detangle once.

How do you do, you who flips your hair to wash (and need to detangle damp hair to get descent look)? Do you detangle before flipping, after or both? I can't finger comb since that always rip hairs off.

Yesterday I tried to wash without flipping, but my scalp did not get clean. Nor hair :confused:
It felt really as I could not massage my shampoo in. Especially not into scalp. When I tried more, it pulled my hair too much so I stopped.
Not to talk about that /#""W%ĪR" feeling of long wet hair sticking to back.
Very hard to rinse also.

SimplyViki
July 8th, 2009, 09:58 AM
When washing your hair without flipping - Have you tried lifting your length up, exposing the nape of your neck, and massaging shampoo in from the nape up as well? Sometimes I find I miss that area when shampooing, so that's what I do to make sure I get it. I never flip my hair over... I think I may have tried that once as a kid, and I was so traumatized by the tangles I never tried again.

HotRag
July 8th, 2009, 10:11 AM
When washing your hair without flipping - Have you tried lifting your length up, exposing the nape of your neck, and massaging shampoo in from the nape up as well? Sometimes I find I miss that area when shampooing, so that's what I do to make sure I get it. I never flip my hair over... I think I may have tried that once as a kid, and I was so traumatized by the tangles I never tried again.
I tried to lift the length, but no success.
It felt like that ripped hairs. And it was hard to get my fingers into the scalp anyway.
And all of my hair was as glued to my back (as usual when down and wet).

Maybe it is just me that is not used to wash like this... I have always washed hair flipped over the tub. Just when I was kid, I washed as a "normal" person. But then made mermaid rinses (bath in tub), and used SLS that I scrubbed in in whatever way. Very tangled afterwards when I had waist length and longer.

But many long haired people here, seems to wash flipped.
How do you flippers detangle?

Finoriel
July 8th, 2009, 10:23 AM
I donīt thing the majority of longhairs washes flipped upside down. I think I recall a poll and it stated that the longer the hair the more people wash it standing and not flipped upside down.
I wash my hair standing under the shower too, because flipping it causes the exact same problems you discribed. Tangles, overstretched and broken hairs, back pain. Washing the right side up :p gives me much less trouble.
And the getting it clean problem is simply due to practice I guess. Just wash that way several times and you will figure out how to get your hair clean with this method :).
Patience and practice young Jedi :bigtongue: :wink:

Gulbahar
July 8th, 2009, 11:00 AM
I too HATE wet hair sticking to my back. So I would never ever wash it standing upright. Couldn't get it clean like that anyway.
Well, this is what I do: I flip my dry hair and detangle, then wash. After washing it is definitely not tangled cuz I only wash the scalp and it's hanging freely over the tub. I wrap it with the towel while it is still flipped and keep it like that for a while.
I remove the towel bending forward and then start to loosen the hair right at the scalp with my fingers, lifting and shaking it slightly. I don't fingercomb at that point. Then I flip my hair back, standing upright and also bending backwards slightly, lifting the hair from the nape of my neck to prevent bad tangles there. Now I look a bit wild, but not very much so. After a while, when my hair is only damp, I start fingercombing it a little. That's all.

Friesiangirl
July 8th, 2009, 11:14 AM
I do wash flipped upside down over the tub on occasion. I usually towel turban right from the bent over position and then detangle later after it's flipped into position.

Hayley

HotRag
July 8th, 2009, 12:17 PM
I don´t thing the majority of longhairs washes flipped upside down. I think I recall a poll and it stated that the longer the hair the more people wash it standing and not flipped upside down.
I wash my hair standing under the shower too, because flipping it causes the exact same problems you discribed. Tangles, overstretched and broken hairs, back pain. Washing the right side up :p gives me much less trouble.
And the getting it clean problem is simply due to practice I guess. Just wash that way several times and you will figure out how to get your hair clean with this method :).
Patience and practice young Jedi :bigtongue: :wink:
Maybe I should pratice. Must also practice to not wet down the whole bathroom (have tub, no shower "thing").

But it's hard to get control over the whole hair when it is on back. Flipped; I can see all of the length, can easily dip it into stuff or get herb paste on.

I would like to find that poll... will search after this.

I too HATE wet hair sticking to my back. So I would never ever wash it standing upright. Couldn't get it clean like that anyway.
Well, this is what I do: I flip my dry hair and detangle, then wash. After washing it is definitely not tangled cuz I only wash the scalp and it's hanging freely over the tub. I wrap it with the towel while it is still flipped and keep it like that for a while.
I remove the towel bending forward and then start to loosen the hair right at the scalp with my fingers, lifting and shaking it slightly. I don't fingercomb at that point. Then I flip my hair back, standing upright and also bending backwards slightly, lifting the hair from the nape of my neck to prevent bad tangles there. Now I look a bit wild, but not very much so. After a while, when my hair is only damp, I start fingercombing it a little. That's all.
I detangle when my hair is dry and flipped. Then wash and put into towel for at least 30 minutes.
Then detangle flipped, flip back and detangle again. Using a wide tooth comb.
I detangle VERY gentle, can't hear any snaps or feel any stretches (I know how it feels to stretch some hairs).
But it are getting harder to do the longer my hair gets.
Not detangling with wide tooth comb, makes my hair look wild and frizzy when I comb it later on.

Moonstruck
July 8th, 2009, 01:39 PM
I don't wash flipped, but perhaps something that might work would be like... this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=85)?

I do sometimes wash my hair in the sink like that, and then undo the wet braid and detangle any bits then.

DragonLady
July 8th, 2009, 02:10 PM
'Til just recently I had to wash flipped over the sink, because our shower didn't work and there was no way I could bend over our tub.

I detangled first, then flipped and washed, then flipped back and waited until it was almost dry to detangle again. For me, any time I have to move my hair from side-to-side or front-to-back I get a fresh batch of tangles, so I hear your pain.

Gulbahar
July 8th, 2009, 02:21 PM
I detangle when my hair is dry and flipped. Then wash and put into towel for at least 30 minutes.
Then detangle flipped, flip back and detangle again. Using a wide tooth comb.
I detangle VERY gentle, can't hear any snaps or feel any stretches (I know how it feels to stretch some hairs).
But it are getting harder to do the longer my hair gets.
Not detangling with wide tooth comb, makes my hair look wild and frizzy when I comb it later on.
What happens when you only detangle after flipping your damp hair back? Have you tried this? Thing is, my hair actually isn't tangled much after washing when still flipped over. So for me it seems to be unnecessary stress to first comb it in one direction and then flip it back and comb it in the opposite direction.

Cherry_Sprinkle
July 8th, 2009, 02:28 PM
when washing in a sink occasionally I usually comb first, wash, condition extra well, and then wrap in towel, flip, then detangle first with my fingers then with my comb. No matter what I do my hair knots like crazy when I wash like this but I figure one comb through is enough stress ;)

HotRag
July 8th, 2009, 02:46 PM
What happens when you only detangle after flipping your damp hair back? Have you tried this? Thing is, my hair actually isn't tangled much after washing when still flipped over. So for me it seems to be unnecessary stress to first comb it in one direction and then flip it back and comb it in the opposite direction.
I haven't tried that, but will do.

Detangle flipped, is much easier though.

Maybe I could try detangle flipped, and see how it goes to just slightly finger comb when flipped back again.

It seems very hard to do IHW with non flipped hair. Anybody who does that with non flipped hair? I do IHW every other wash, and decyl glucose shampoo the other times.

I also usually make a very cold last rinse. Not so nice over the back :D

Gulbahar
July 8th, 2009, 03:04 PM
I haven't tried that, but will do.

Detangle flipped, is much easier though.
Of course it is! Your flipped hair just isn't tangled much cuz you detangled before washing and you don't tangle your hair badly during washing I suppose. The point is to detangle after flipping back because that's the position you will be actually in normally. Unless you prefer walking on your hands. :D

Maybe I could try detangle flipped, and see how it goes to just slightly finger comb when flipped back again.
Maybe it's even easier the other way 'round: fingercombing flipped and combing flipped back.

I also usually make a very cold last rinse. Not so nice over the back :D
Oh yes! I hear you! :p

nowxisxforever
July 8th, 2009, 05:03 PM
I can't flip my hair upside down, I get too many tangles. I wash standing up. I find I don't really need to "scrub" my scalp, I merely massage. I get my shampoo in my hands, smooth hands, then smooth over the top of my head, then (this whole time I keep my head held slightly out so that my hair doesn't lay against my back) go from the nape along my scalp THROUGH my hair. I rinse gently, just mimicing the movement of putting the shampoo in.

Deborah
July 8th, 2009, 09:11 PM
I don't flip to wash, but I do flip at the end to rinse with either vinegar or citric acid, so my hair ends up in the same position as yours. While still bent over, I put a turbie towel on. After I have dried and dressed, I bend over again and remove the towel. While still bent over, I separate my hair into two halves, right and left by parting with my fingers. Then I pull the two sections down and apart, and then stand up. I look goofy, as my hair is now standing straight up and out like two large cones on my head, held by my hands. Next I sort of shake the two strands while lowering my hands down in an arc until the hair is all now down at my sides. From there I can detangle or let it dry and detangle later.

This sounds complicated, but is really easy to do. By using this procedure, my hair is put back in it's usual hanging down position, avoiding scalp pain and making detangling quite easy.

I hope this is understandable. I've never put it in words before, not even in my head, so maybe I have not explained clearly. If you are interested but don't understand, I'll try to clarify for you.

Good luck! :)

Nyghtingale
July 8th, 2009, 09:19 PM
I flip in my tub, always have. I use the same basic method as Gulbahar.

HotRag
July 9th, 2009, 02:46 AM
Of course it is! Your flipped hair just isn't tangled much cuz you detangled before washing and you don't tangle your hair badly during washing I suppose. The point is to detangle after flipping back because that's the position you will be actually in normally. Unless you prefer walking on your hands. :D
Oh, I meant it is easier to detangle flipped after flipped wash, than detangle upright when hair has been washed upright. I mean, detangle from the same degree of tangledness.
Just the control I get from flip it. And it doesn't get stuck anywhere because it is hanging free.

Maybe it's even easier the other way 'round: fingercombing flipped and combing flipped back.
I don't know. I have problems with finger combing. But it is a bit easier after detangling. Detangling with wide tooth comb is much kinder too my hair, than my fingers. Hair get stuck on my damp fingers, causing rip offs or causing the procedure to take forever.

Heidi_234
July 9th, 2009, 04:34 AM
I never had a problem. I can't wash my hair standing upright because like you said it sticks to the scalp and I feel that I'm ripping it when I try to massage the scalp.
My hair isn't the easiest thing to detangle, but I don't use a comb in shower either, just my fingers. I don't detangle until my hair is flipped and full of conditioner. After I'm done I don't flip it back, I place it under streaming water and gradually let the hair return back to it's normal position while going over my shoulder and under streaming water all the time. Then, when it's on my back, I let the water stream over it and through it some more, before I start finger combing it here and there, and eventually everywhere. I never had flip induced tangles in the shower.

HotRag
July 10th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Today I tried wash upright again.

I divided hair and brought it over my shoulders.
This was really good. No sticky hair on back, and easier to massage shampoo in, and rinse it.

Then I made a SMT made with yogurt. I got yogurt all over me.
I put hair up loosely and filled my tub to bath.

Then rinsed carefully, was able to rinse length with cold water, since I had lengths in front of me.
Final rinse that I did not rinse out, was catnip tea. I made it too late (forgot) so it was a bit warm.

I could much moore easily finger comb after taking the towel off.
Lost much less hair (but maybe that will even out during next days).

I can't figure though, how to do IHW or treatments for some hours, without taking baths/showers twice.

I have no shower thing, just a bath tub, so water is splashing here and there.

DragonLady
July 10th, 2009, 12:14 PM
I can't figure though, how to do IHW or treatments for some hours, without taking baths/showers twice.

For me, the kitchen sink is still easier. I looove the shower, but the only time I want to be in it more than once a day is during the hottest part of the summer days, and then I don't want to be fooling with my hair much. The sink just works out better overall.

HotRag
July 10th, 2009, 02:51 PM
I think I would get tangles from washing in the sink. I want to keep it straight during wash.
Holding one half over each shoulder was really good. MUCH better than having it all on back.
I could tilt head sligthly forward, to get it almost in front of me, but without any "flipping problems" at all.

Now my hair has dried. I will braid and comb tomorrow. But - I got "a lot" of natural waves from not combing.
Looks nice, but I will always braid or something, so they will disappear.

JamieLeigh
July 10th, 2009, 04:23 PM
I've tried a few times to flip my head over when I wash...but like the OP mentioned, I get back pain. :( Also, my hair naturally dried is very wavy, so I get more tangles when my hair is washed in an unusual position.

eternallyverdan
July 10th, 2009, 04:37 PM
I know when I'm trying to wash in the bath my best bet is to divide my hair in half pre-wash and just keep it like that throughout the process. If you still really want to wash upside down, maybe try your usual routine, detangle when flipped, then part in the middle and keep your hair up in front to detangle again.

Amara
July 10th, 2009, 04:44 PM
I sometimes flip over to wash - just detangle flipped over and dry before washing, then wrap it up in a towel or turban to dry, and detangle later when just damp. Doesn't turn out too bad! I can't imagine being weirded out by wet hair on my back, though... why does it weird you out?

HotRag
July 11th, 2009, 03:30 AM
I can't imagine being weirded out by wet hair on my back, though... why does it weird you out?
The feeling of hair stick like glue to my back just makes me get a taste of panic. I feel locked and as I can't think on anything else than get rid of the feeling.

Both the sticky "holding" sensation, and the light sensation of hair when leaning back (and get loose waves/loops in neck).

The problem increases with longer hair, cause it hold on back harder.

I also have the same problem with rain when it wets/dampen clothes or hair.

Could be due to somewhat unusual perception that I have had all my life. I can't filter input.