PDA

View Full Version : Hair growing faster. I need help

Tarja
July 6th, 2009, 03:43 AM
Hello! I am new here, I've heard about this comunity through a friend of mine. Well, my problem is that I've bleached my hair more than 1 year ago from black (dyed) to a light copper chatene and now I want to dye it, finally, a pure red - that intense red without any trace of chestnut. just pure red. My skin iswhite. My hair got damaged a lot through the bleaching process and I had to recently cut it and it's now only shoulder long. :(I am so sad about it, I feel like I have a disease if my hair is not long. I want to heave it down to the middle of my back. please is there any chance to make it grow at least a little faster? I know that over night it's not possible, I just ask for some treatment which coud make my hair grow at least a bit faster :(

Bene
July 6th, 2009, 04:29 AM
some people have had some success with monistat (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=156) and others have had success with megatek (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=15952). you might want to check those threads out.

vitamins tend to help. the best thing is good old fashioned patience, but that doesn't seem like much. the best thing i can think of to do is to experiment with treatments to make your hair look and feel nicer while you wait it out.

Kylis
July 6th, 2009, 04:33 AM
Hello,
Here is a lot of information about how to make your hair healthier and stronger, but you will need to experiment to find out what works for you and what does not. For growth I would recommend to check out the Monistat thread.
But overall you will need to make peace with your hair, try to treat it with love and respect and then just be patient :) Good luck!

Nat242
July 6th, 2009, 04:33 AM
Bene's given you some good advice.

I would also recommend focusing on *keeping* the hair you have and whatever growth you get - this means protecting your length and your ends by wearing your hair in updos, keeping your hair healthy and moisturised, and avoiding those things that make your hair more brittle or delicate, such as heat styling, harsh shampoos, and bleach.

Best of luck!

Nat242
July 6th, 2009, 04:36 AM
Also, I suggest you head over to the 'articles' section. Here are a few good ones to start with:

By Nightshade (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79)

By Igor (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=74)

By Ursula (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=39)

Tarja
July 6th, 2009, 05:20 AM
Thank you very much for your advices. I'll now look up the articles you showed me

Aditi
July 6th, 2009, 05:25 AM
A good scalp massage everday of just 5-10 minutes is also a good way to increase hair growth.

Tarja
July 6th, 2009, 05:27 AM
i heard it too, and I massage my scalp like 15 minutes when I wash my hair.. but no result:( it growes extremelly slow

Debra83
July 6th, 2009, 05:32 AM
The supplement msm,
http://www.msmguide.com/

and the supplement florasil (which has a silica form) http://www.florahealth.com/flora/home/International/Products/R1434.htm

and the washing method using first conditioner, then shampoo, then conditioner really helped me a lot.

I also take my "ton" of regular vitamins that I was already on for health benefits.

I went from this:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=25591&albumid=2126&dl=1227512699&thumb=1

to this:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=41193&albumid=2126&dl=1244438415&thumb=1

in just over 7 months. (End of October to beginning of June)

Tarja
July 6th, 2009, 05:35 AM
well, I don't want to take any pills, no matter if they are vitamins or whathever.. I don't want pills. I was looking on the Moinstat topic, but i don't understand very well what's that, it's seems the topicis reopened and at the beginning it doesn't say what's moinstat is about.

Tarja
July 6th, 2009, 05:41 AM
sorry, I wrote it bad. "Monistat"

Nat242
July 6th, 2009, 06:02 AM
This link (http://www.hairgrowth.5u.com/) may help you.

Tarja
July 6th, 2009, 06:10 AM
now I read it can be harmful and those side effects sound really bad.

Tarja
July 6th, 2009, 03:27 PM
there's no chance for me to have my hair growing a little bit faster? i feel like having a depresion:(

nowxisxforever
July 6th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Well, you don't want to take the advice offered... I'd say no, you need to just wait.

You should try to minimize breakage, as was stated earlier, as from the sounds of it you've mistreated your hair horribly... so be very nice to it, keep it up, moisturize it, things like that...because your hair is only going to grow so fast from the roots, and if your ends are snapping off due to damage, you will see less overall "growth" even if your hair is still growing the same rate.

kdaniels8811
July 6th, 2009, 05:05 PM
The tried and true methods for growing hair are as stated above - vitamins, good food, exercise, and being healthy in general. Patience, growing your hair takes years. Don't cut your hair, let it grow. Handling your hair like antique lace - no brushes, infrequent shampooing, no heat or chemicals, including bleach, treat it with conditioning products and oils. And lots and lots of time. Good luck to you, we are all patiently waiting for our hair to grow. And this forum is the place to get support while we all wait.

Roseate
July 6th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Sorry, but that's why we spend so much time chattering about our hair here... we have to do something to pass the time while it grows! ;)

Like the others said, care and patience is your best bet if you don't want to try supplements or monistat. (Supplements never did anything for my hair, anyway, and neither did megatek. I haven't tried the Monistat and don't plan to.)

Try learning a few updos (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=category&categoryid=1); it's always easier to wait for your hair to grow if it's not hanging down in your face, taunting you with it's shortness.

Fractalsofhair
July 6th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Scalp massages are great, and well, just baby your hair so you don't lose length due to breakage. My hair went from shoulder length to a mix of shoulder (almost APL) and chin due to breakage. Hair does grow, but rather slowly. Make sure you're in generally good health, and eating a proper diet. Taking a multivitamin daily is good for general health, and may help your hair grow if you're slightly deficient in something! (Not any "special" pills, but just the basic multivitamins you can find anywhere. Remember, it is JUST hair, and pop on a wig if you want long hair for an hour or so! Perhaps just put your hair up in a ponytail and forget about it for a while. Good luck!

Bene
July 6th, 2009, 05:19 PM
now I read it can be harmful and those side effects sound really bad.

i wouldn't be so quick to rule out monistat or the other treatments that people have tried on this board.

the thing about the side effects of monistat is that they're a possibility, but not a definite. i've never had any of the bad side effects, except for the shedding increase after stopping, but even then it's not like i went bald or anything :D and, i doubled my growth rate for the time that i used it consistently.

everything here is an experiment. everyone's body chemistry is different, and what may work wonderfully for some people might have side effects for other people, such as those who are prone to migraines or who have chemical sensitivities or allergies.

even commercial hair products come with their own risks. i know that my scalp gets pretty itchy from some normal everyday things, such as some conventional conditioners. some vitamins gave me pimples. some products, the smells made me gag. that doesn't stop me from trying new products.

there are no absolutes with hair growth, only experimental treatments and suggestions. but, if the idea of some possible side effects or pills concern you, then the only thing to do is to baby your hair and wait for the long haul. hey, i've still got a good 2 years before i hit my final goal. you learn a great deal of patience when you decide to grow your hair long. sometimes, seeing people's anniversary threads, or long term progress threads help towards raising morale when i feel my hair just isn't growing. there are a few threads where people have gone from shaved heads to amazing lengths that are helpful to look at.

MomoKoNoHanna
July 6th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Vatamins are probably your best bet. I have been using mine for the last 6months and they make my nails grow like crazy! So they have to be doing something for my hair. There called hair, skin and nails. They work wonders, I also take fish oil for my hair which I believe has also helped alot. I to suffer from dye damage, my sister bleached her hair last year and now she has a set of healthier natural hair (her's grows super fast though because she is super healthier due to her job). So health does make a difference, if your not willing to do anything else then I would suggest looking at your diet and adding in more fruits and vegies (super fruits are great you can find these by googling super fruits). Also add more protien to your diet because that is what hair is made of so naturally more protein would help. And I believe eating fish maybe a benefit. Head Massages do work but you have to do them longer than that of a few weeks. I do mine once a week with oils and every time I wash my hair. When trying new things for hair growth remember it is still going to take time. We can only maxium our growth potential (at least that is what I keep telling myself lol) My hair growth is now growing at a rate of 1inch per month (it is winter, hair is suppose to grow faster in summer?) and I believe it is mostly due to my vatamins, change in diet and better hair care oh and oil massaging/wash massaging. Everything takes times.

may1em
July 7th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Vitamins come in chewable and gummy form, too. Well, at least multivitamins do. I know I saw a commercial recently for adult gummy multivitamins.

If you can't stand supplements, make sure you're keeping yourself in the best possible health - eat a balanced diet low in processed foods, drink enough water, and get enough sleep and exercise. The healthier you are, the more energy your body has to devote to your hair.

And keep damage to a minimum, because hair that breaks off at the end appears to grow more slowly than healthy hair that doesn't. Look around the articles for styles you can do with shorter hair.

Sadly, there is no hair growing magic formula that can make hair sprout out of your head quicker than it wants to. All we can do is be patient and try our best to help our hair grow at the maximum rate we're genetically programmed to, instead of the minimum. Let's say Susie has a monthly growth capacity somewhere between 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch. She won't grow less or more than that every month, but if she keeps herself healthy she'll be more likely to grow closer to 1/2 an inch.

Tarja
July 7th, 2009, 01:33 AM
thank you all. I know I could look like "desperate for her hair" but I love my long hair.. I always had my hair like over 50 cm and now it' shorter :( I have a healthy diet since 3 years ago. A daily diet, for keeping in shape but it resulted to be healthy too. I eat a lot of fruits, I drink like2,5L of water per day, I eat cheese.. but I am lacto-vegegetarian, so I don't eat any kind of meat.

Melisande
July 7th, 2009, 02:44 AM
We're all desperate for longer hair, that's alright :D

Eat enough protein, maybe add soy to your menu. MSM helped me greatly, so did scalp massages with essential oils. There is a thread around here, check it out. It really made a difference, my hair grew much stronger. I've been massaging now for nearly two years at least twice a week with the essential oil mixture, and my hair has grown a lot...

Aditi
July 7th, 2009, 06:21 AM
i heard it too, and I massage my scalp like 15 minutes when I wash my hair.. but no result:( it growes extremelly slow
Actually massage increases blood circulation which promotes health and growth of hair or any one. I have heard many saying that regular scalp massage helps in hair growth but it does not work on me except giving it health.

Elbereth
July 7th, 2009, 06:55 AM
First, you need to be realistic. From what you have written, I get a strong impression that you want your hair to do what you want, when you want: be the perfect color, at the perfect length. I'm sorry, but hair just does not work like that. It does its own thing, and the best you can do is to make sure that circumstances are as good as possible for growth to happen. The hair can still stall (not grow at all for months), it can get a growth spurt, or keep growing on standard speed. The good news is, that if you are new to LHC way of hair growing, there is probably a lot you can do to improve your hair's condition and, consequentially, growth rate.

Your plans to dye, for instance, do not sound good if your goal is to grow. Bleach is very damaging, and even dyes that do not contain bleach, are still strong chemicals that can damage hair. If you dye, you will also need frequent touch ups- more chemical exposure. Hair is dead, it can't be repaired once it is damaged. Your goal should therefore be preventing damage.

In the end, you need to choose what is most important to you: long, healthy hair or being able to do damaging things(which requires frequent cuts). Neither answer is right or wrong- it's all about what *you* value most.

Tarja
July 7th, 2009, 08:55 AM
The problem is that I don't want to have my hair with a "dead" colour. That's why I'll dye it the red I love. I don't want my hair knee long. What passes over waist for me is just not my type, I don't like it. I just make efforts to have it a little under the middle of my back. I am using a treatment right now, which costed me a lot, but it's simply great. It's from the brand named Joico- tratment in 4 steps for damaged hair. It really help a lot my hair which 1 year ago was bleached. But I had to cut the ends as they were really ugly, they were split and very weak

Niphredil
July 7th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Hi Tarja :waving: nice to see you around here as well!

The ladies here have given you very good advice. But even if you don't want your hair super long, MB length hair still has been around for five years or more and can be horribly damaged by chemical 'treatments'. Getting it there, looking good can be done while coloring with chemical dyes, but a lot depends on the basic health of your hair (some hair types simply can take more abuse than others) and how you deal with it on a day-to-day basis.

As for growth, there is not much you can do I'm afraid. I used to have a steady 1,5cm/0.6" monthly growth when I first grew my hair long, but this time around, I'm not even getting 1cm a month. I'm not really doing anything different though.
Patience, trying not to be too obsessive ( I no longer take monthly measurements or photo's) and just work with your hair as it is. One day you''ll wake up with long hair :D