PDA

View Full Version : Shampoo to end gray could be just 2 years away

Tabitha
June 24th, 2009, 06:52 AM
This might be of interest to those who're not yet ready to embrace their silvers but haven't found a happy solution with dyes or herbal colours. I myself would be happy to have uniformly shiny silver locks but at the moment just have random white hairs that look a bit untidy amongst the dark brown.

Researchers revealed yesterday that they were developing a treatment to restore hair colour.

It could be available in the shops within two years in the form of a hair cream, shampoo or conditioner.

The team of scientists found that hair goes grey when the pigment-producing cells, called melanocytes, die or no longer work properly.

But these cells often survive long after people go grey. They also established that the cells lack a certain enzyme, called TRP-2, which is found in the skin and protects it from losing its pigment.

They are now hoping to mimic the enzyme’s action on hair follicles, re-awakening the cells and allowing people to maintain their hair colour for longer or even reverse the process.

Dr Bruno Bernard, head of the hair biology research team at beauty firm L’Oreal in Paris, which carried out the work, said: “The hair whitening process is slow and progressive, so we can prevent it.”
Article in Monday's Daily Express (http://dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/109077)

tigerlily896
June 24th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Oooh! Wouldn't that be so nice!

DarkChocolate
June 24th, 2009, 07:18 AM
That would be very nice!

LaurelSpring
June 24th, 2009, 07:24 AM
I just hope they dont charge a small fortune for it.

Heavenly Locks
June 24th, 2009, 07:26 AM
That's interesting! :) I wonder if they could make a shampoo that could make someone's hair grow in a different color?

Akiko
June 24th, 2009, 07:26 AM
This is fascinating. I thought the same thing as LaurelSpring. Wonder how much it is going to be?!

Wanderer09
June 24th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Once you stopped using it, would your hair go back to grey again?

redneckprincess
June 24th, 2009, 08:19 AM
should be just in time for me, lol

Fractalsofhair
June 24th, 2009, 08:55 AM
What would it do for those of us with grayish tinted hair? My hair is a silvery blonde, and I wouldn't want it to turn brown!(If I didn't want to get true white hair, though I'm hoping for that when I'm much older!) What would it do for natural blondes as well? I know Latisse (the eyelash/glaucoma drug) can cause gray/blue eyes to turn brown. I wonder what the effect on skin cells would be on those of us with little or no pigment there? I'm not sure if they're the same enzymes, but it's possible. However, I think it could be useful for many women!

Spike
June 24th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Hmmm . . . I could see this being a blessing for some women who do not enjoy thier silver for whatever reason, but no, not for me.

Right now what's coming in is bright shiny white. I wish it wasn't witchlocks at random points around my head, but that will fix itself over time. Assuming that the rest turns silver-white and gleams, then I plan to leave it be.

If I can't stand the mix in a year or two, sure, I'll color it until the roots are close enough to solid for my tastes. I do plan on being a silver/white haired old lady with an amazing updo and matriarchal temper.

Unofficial_Rose
June 24th, 2009, 01:22 PM
They will sell a lot of this, I think.

This would be a company to buy some shares in!

Darian Moone
June 24th, 2009, 01:44 PM
If this stuff is safe (as in healthy) and works, I'd definitely be on board for it! I started going grey in my 20s. I would love to be able to go back to my natural brown hair again. I've been hiding grey for a long, long time.

I guess I would need to use the shampoo for a while, then eventually stop dying it blonde. I'd then have to let the roots grow a couple inches and dye my length to match my roots. Hmmm....could be pretty complicated. I'm definitely not willing to cut off all my dyed length and start all over (again)!

teela1978
June 24th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Yay!!!!!!! I've just let my silvers grow in and they're starting to take over! I don't mind a few, but I'd rather not be 50% silver before I'm 40.

jera
June 24th, 2009, 03:24 PM

I was thinking the exact same thing myself. I can just see it it selling for $100. a bottle or jar, or whatever. :(

amandasmith911
June 24th, 2009, 11:34 PM
Maybe it will be cone free too??

Natalia
June 25th, 2009, 12:23 AM
Cool :). Well if it could increasepigment and therefore darken my hair im sold!

Lenniemi
June 30th, 2009, 07:32 AM
What I don't understand: does it add melanin to all colors of hair even when you're not grey? so if a blonde person without any greys would use this, then his hair would darken to brown or black?

teela1978
June 30th, 2009, 09:50 AM
What I don't understand: does it add melanin to all colors of hair even when you're not grey? so if a blonde person without any greys would use this, then his hair would darken to brown or black?

I think it's based on some research that came out a bit ago showing that a buildup of oxygen radicals is what causes melanin production to slow down and eventually stop. The idea would be to stop the buildup of these metabolic byproducts somehow and allow melanin production to start up again. So if you were blonde, your greys should go back to blonde, not brown.

It kinda feels like a rogaine type products. Might work for some, not for others, but I suppose it's worth a shot.

Lenniemi
June 30th, 2009, 09:57 AM
That would be a shame, we have a family of gingers and strawberry blondes. We all hate it and instead of helping they greying people ( we all go grey), they should also have something that darkens other sorts of hair.
All yr round, I hear stories like: we wish we had ur color, but one of my cousins committed suicide two yrs ago because of constantly getting bullied because of his hair and hating it to death. Especially redheads struggle with these kinda problems. Since that suicide, I take hair problems very seriously.

GlassEyes
June 30th, 2009, 10:02 AM
I doubt it. They an make more money off readily-available mass-produced consumer stuff than they can off super-expensive crud. If it's l'oreal, I wouldn't expect it to cost a ton--maybe more than normal shampoo, but at a biolage-like price.

@Lenniemi: Uhhhh, what?

teela1978
June 30th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Hmmm.... we don't usually consider having red/ginger hair to be a problem where I come from.

GlassEyes
June 30th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Same here. Granted, there are stereotypes, but beyond that...

SurprisingWoman
June 30th, 2009, 10:07 PM
I was a red head almost all my life.

I wouldn't give up my gray for anything.

I obviously was willing to give up my red hair.

I think this is a really sad sounding product. Poor people that can't love who they are. I feel badly for them.