PDA

View Full Version : Growing out color, did you....

paper
June 20th, 2009, 07:18 AM
I'm growing out hair dye. My plan now, is to keep trimming a little at a time. I was wondering how others grew out there color. Any tips?

Kirin
June 20th, 2009, 07:58 AM
I had black cherry henna red.... which was not playing nice nice with my stark white roots coming in. Though I've damaged it by bleaching and then coloring to get a better effect, my course of action now is to do small trims over time until the color is gone.

This may change, however. I have already twice dyed my white roots at about an inch long, as I could no longer stand being a 40 year old woman being mistaken for my husband's mother LOL.

VanillaTresses
June 20th, 2009, 08:07 AM
I always just pretty much cut it all off in one swoop to just get it over with.

curls2grow
June 20th, 2009, 08:09 AM
I trimmed every 7-8 weeks about 1/4". My HD used foils to break up the demarcation line, putting my darker color on the foils. I think she referred to it as weaving? When I got to about ear length with the line, I lost patience with the process and I had her stop the foils altogether. My line is almost grown out, and it's very blurry/broken up from the foiling; I don't mind how it looks.

amaiaisabella
June 20th, 2009, 08:12 AM
I didn't trim anything until the damaged ends got too bad; in order to draw the eye away from the line of demarcation, I did a lot of half-updos :)

Madame J
June 20th, 2009, 08:15 AM
I went through a summer or so of no 'poo and the baking soda stripped out the color from the dyed parts. Then, October of 2007, I went to the salon and told my hairdresser to "cut off anything that looks like it's been dyed" and went to a pixie. I reconnected with my gray hairs and my natural color and haven't dyed since! My hair looked instantly shinier and healthier; I highly recommend the chop.

Heavenly Locks
June 20th, 2009, 08:23 AM
I was growing out bleach before I came here. I colored over it to try and get close to my natural color...failed several times, got close once and let it grow. The dye eventually faded leaving me with bleached horrid ends and I let it grow until I was virgin APL and cut it back to APL in October 2008. Never again!

patience
June 20th, 2009, 08:29 AM
I said trim a little at a time. Right now my plan is to grow to classic and maintain there with trims. I also did some lowlights in my bleached hair (not touching the virgin hair) to help blend, but most of those have faded out.

I have a very long wait before this bleach is all gone. :meditate:

Speckla
June 20th, 2009, 08:52 AM
I waited until my natural color was shoulder length and cut all the dyed parts off. I at least wanted hair that was long enough to put up. I've used a few semi-permanent colors in the last 6 months but they're all washing out and not leaving behind any color.

janeytilllie
June 20th, 2009, 09:16 AM
A few years ago I dyed my hair blonde with a home kit. It wrecked my hair. :(

I grew out the natural colour to APL and chopped it off. My hair was pretty much damaged and beyond saving. But I would have gone with trimming if my hair hadn’t been so damaged.

froglet
June 20th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Well, I am growing out hendigo and have done both cutting it off and then trimming a little at a time. I first went for the big chop and had it cut into a bob and now I am sloooowly trimming off the ends as they grow longer.

Lize
June 20th, 2009, 10:38 AM
I am growing out color right now. I responded "Trim a little at a time", because that's what I am going to be doing when I maintain at waist. But first I will try to grow it to waist with as few trims as possible. So I might have also responded "Let it be", 'cause I am doing both. But eventually I am getting rid of the dyed and highlighted hair. Then it will be through monthly trims.

Arctic
June 20th, 2009, 11:15 AM
I am growing out henna. My hair is little past APL and my current plan is to grow to MBL/BSL with regular trims (every 3 months) and then maintain there untill the henna is gone.

In the past before LHC and growing my hair long, I would have chopped it all off into some cute pixie :D

Debra83
June 20th, 2009, 11:20 AM
I put trimmed a little at a time, which is still in process, to get the color damaged hair off is what I was thinking. But I changed the colour with Henna - which I'm still amazed it has an "indoor" colour completely different from an "outdoor" colour!

camara
June 20th, 2009, 02:15 PM
I let it be, and when it was about collarbone lenght, I cut it off...

I didnt like the two-toned look, but I just did not want short hair. Although collarbone lenght seemed short to me, also! Im glad this is eight or so years ago now.

Unnamed
June 20th, 2009, 02:51 PM
I voted 'let it be' although I have recently bleached out the black, and now the old dyed hair is lighter than my natural colour rather than darker. Oh, and a lot more even, as it faded a lot more in some places than others (and if I hadn't bleached it I might have actually dyed it black again :lol: ). I will probably tone it (or at least attempt to de-brighten/ashify it), but I'll still have a clear dye line...so it's essentially still in the 'let it be' category I think.

I've not actively trimmed (and not at all to get rid of the dye) since I quit dyeing (Oct 2004). Don't plan on any trims with the purpose of ridding dye/now bleached hair.

ETA: Oh, doh, didn't answer everything. On 'tips' at first I wore half ups to disguise it a bit (first 1-1.5" probably). 2-3" kinda...meh. French braids were really cool looking around the 3-4" of roots mark and got worn quite a bit. Then after 4-6" it was in a bun pretty much, although a single french braid was still okay. Around the 6-8" mark I think it started really showing in buns (Rather liked doing Chinese buns at that time), plus with it in a bun don't really see the dyed hair unless there's a mirror around and off to the side. Once the dye line got below my shoulders I think is when started back with french braids, half-ups and wearing hair down periodically, and once the dye-line got to around waist actually rather liked it. :lol:

Nightshade
June 20th, 2009, 02:57 PM
When getting rid of my darker henna I did both trim the color our over time, and use Sun-In to lighten it, so I suppose that counts as using more color to make it match?

In any event, it seemed to work well!

swanns
June 20th, 2009, 03:16 PM
I let it be, then again the last dye I used before stopping was dark brown, so it blends in just alright.

Natalia
June 20th, 2009, 03:19 PM
I voted other. I am growing out my chemical dye (i became allergic no choice :( ) but i do not plan on keeping my natural color. With my skin color and bone structure my genertics made a mistake :shrug: . I plan on using natural dyes like sage/rosemary/maybe walnut/ect.. I know i wont be able to get as dark as i like and it wont be permenant but i dont want to do hendigo for many reasons mainly its permenance. I plan on trimming very slowly only whats damaged and do my best to blend as i grow out. I absolutly will not do any chops above mid back where i am now. My goal is hip. We shall see how anoyed i get when i cant wear my hair down anymore.... but thats my plan.

Eolan
June 20th, 2009, 03:25 PM
When I started my hair journey I had a short cut with at least a billion layers and my hair was dyed white, white blond. I let it grow out quite a bit, then I had it toned to a color similar to my natural one. I then trimmed until all the layers and dye was gone. It took a good while, but it was totally worth it. Key word: patience. And cheese. Because, well, cheese solves most problems. Good luck! :cheese:

Tap Dancer
June 20th, 2009, 03:27 PM
I'm growing out color. Luckily it's very close to my natural color. I'm going to leave it alone.

AJoifulNoise
June 20th, 2009, 04:01 PM
I let it grow out for 3 years, at which point half of my hair was still colored and half was natural. I then cut off about 6 inches. Now I'm trimming off 1-2 inches every 6 months.

I'm lucky in that the box color has faded quite a bit and, unless I'm in certain lights, you can't really tell.

Sara_1987
June 20th, 2009, 04:16 PM
a couple of years ago I dyed my dark blonde hair red with that L'Oreal mousse thing. It was supposed to wash out, but it was bright red + my hair takes colour really well.
I let it fade (my hair was a bit past shoulder length) but after a while it just looked horrible so I cut my hair really short....which looked even worse!

Fractalsofhair
June 20th, 2009, 05:09 PM
I'm going to get bangs in my hair since they're damaged and it's affecting my virgin growth. Other than that,I'm planning on letting it grow out with small trims, pending damage.

Silver Strands
June 20th, 2009, 05:14 PM
I went in for the "big chop".
I was growing out henna and my roots looked lavender next to the orangish red of the henna.
It had to go.
So, when the roots reached 3-4", that's how long I had the layers cut.

Edited to add: The worst part was trimming off all of those layers over the last 2 years to get back to one length.

chrissy-b
June 20th, 2009, 05:44 PM
I cut off the worst of the damage and then used henna/indigo to blend the two shades together. The difference in color wasn't too drastic so it wasn't that noticeable.

manderly
June 20th, 2009, 05:58 PM
I dyed several times to try to blend in with my roots. Each time my ends would eventually fade out to the henna orange, but it appears that it's finally sticking and I won't have to do it again ;)

susiemw
June 20th, 2009, 07:24 PM
I"m just going to be multi-toned forever.
My hair is tailbone length....
my white hair is coming in and goes to about where a ponytail band would be... and from there on down it's brown.

Jinx2234
June 20th, 2009, 07:28 PM
I voted leave it alone, since I haven't gotten my hair cut since it was last dyed. I usually wear my hair up, so the difference between the dyed and undyed parts aren't as obvious.

I did notice that washing my hair with baking soda and heavy oilings seemed to remove some of the color. Also leaving conditioner on my hair for a long time (over an hour) seemed to also remove some of the color, while at the same time made my hair feel softer.

Kitty
June 20th, 2009, 07:32 PM
While I picked used more colour to blend, I had been dying my medium brown hair black for years. I let it grow out about 3 inches then got frusterated. I bleached the black and covered with a matching brown. It matched fairly well, maybe bit more red than my natural colour. My hair was quite dry for awhile.

fishwich
June 20th, 2009, 07:55 PM
I'm not doing a damn thing. My cool-toned roots look really, really odd next to the henna but meh, I can deal. When I get to knee-length I'll start trimming the henna off. Once the virgin hair is at least classic, I'll consider chopping off the last of the dye. Never going shorter than that, though.

paper
June 21st, 2009, 08:26 AM
I went in for the "big chop".
I was growing out henna and my roots looked lavender next to the orangish red of the henna.
It had to go.
So, when the roots reached 3-4", that's how long I had the layers cut.

Edited to add: The worst part was trimming off all of those layers over the last 2 years to get back to one length.

I hear ya. As tempting as it is to cut it off, I don't want to deal with a bunch of layers. So if/when I do cut, I'm going to wait until it's all 1 length!

paper
June 21st, 2009, 08:29 AM
ETA: Oh, doh, didn't answer everything. On 'tips' at first I wore half ups to disguise it a bit (first 1-1.5" probably). 2-3" kinda...meh. French braids were really cool looking around the 3-4" of roots mark and got worn quite a bit. Then after 4-6" it was in a bun pretty much, although a single french braid was still okay. Around the 6-8" mark I think it started really showing in buns (Rather liked doing Chinese buns at that time), plus with it in a bun don't really see the dyed hair unless there's a mirror around and off to the side. Once the dye line got below my shoulders I think is when started back with french braids, half-ups and wearing hair down periodically, and once the dye-line got to around waist actually rather liked it. :lol:

Those are some good tips for different stages. Thanks!

Xandergrammy
June 21st, 2009, 08:39 AM
As you know, paper, I'm the poster child for just letting it be. Leave it alone and it will grow. Put it up and nobody will notice the ends (and I don't give a hoot what anyone thinks- I like my hair, my DH likes my hair. End of story) :flowers:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g6/Xandergrammy/The%20Next%20One%20Thousand/And%20Another%20Thousand/DSCN0019-9.jpg

paper
June 21st, 2009, 08:49 AM
Your hair is beautiful Xandergrammy! :flower: When I look at your hair, it gives me hope, I can do it!!!

MandaMom2Three
June 21st, 2009, 03:54 PM
i grew it out for a while, then got sick of it and colorfixed it. I am so glad I did!

zen_oven
June 21st, 2009, 05:12 PM
It has been ages since I dyed my hair. I think the last time was highlights in 2001. I just let it be. They faded and gradually went away with trimming. It must not have been bothersome to me because I don't really remember when they were finally gone. LOL

Charlotte
June 21st, 2009, 05:31 PM
My hair is naturally dark mousy blonde/brown with natural grey highlights. When the grey first started to grow, I began to pull them out! The hairdresser said that if I continued to do this then one day in the future I would be bald!!! ha ha So the light blonde foils commenced.... I have decided since joining the LHC that I will try to grow out my colour but there's no way I'm cutting any huge length off - just takes so long to grow! Maybe, if I can hang on until the roots grow to ear length, I may get some darker blonde foils to blend and lessen the demarcation line somewhat.:)

Jules diamond
June 22nd, 2009, 01:39 AM
I'm growing mine out. I think it's about eight inches grown now. Once I get a little past waist I'll cut off the rest once and for all. But I'm only keeping it because it looks fine and my hair is miraculously undamaged.

taliarose
June 22nd, 2009, 08:33 AM
I've always died by brown hair black or tried for red with out lightening. When it grows out the color isn't noticable just all the whites. ;) Now I'm going with henna so my whites are a nice red contrast to the virgin brown.

Do what you want while it grows out. Just make sure you are happy!

MomoKoNoHanna
June 22nd, 2009, 09:05 AM
I am currently trimming a little at a time. I tried lighting my hair then hightlights then I dyed it a chocolate brown argr what was I thinking? Nice colour and I love it but so much damage!!! I used to dye it black when I finished highschool but stop that a few years back. Now I want my natural colour back again :(

LadyGunn
June 22nd, 2009, 11:05 AM
I had an old perm and red colour covered by an attempt at brown, down to a bit past BSL. I chopped it off to shoulder length 3 years ago to just get it over with. But, that was pre-LHC & pre-deciding to grow it out to a certain length.

watermelon
June 22nd, 2009, 11:57 AM
My hair is very close to black and I dyed it black anyway to even it out (I had bleach in it). Now it's just fading...I find with time, any permanent color ends up blending into your natural hair color, as long as it's somewhat similar to your original shade.

Nanni
June 22nd, 2009, 12:15 PM
I'm also growing out dye. I've tried to let it be as long as possible but my ends got way to crunchy so I had to start trimming. So now I trim my ends every 2 or 3 months depending on how dry my ends are. I don't have to many splits, but they are so dammaged from the chemical dye and way to much flat-ironing. I've learned to live without it now. It's a bit sad though, cause I've been stuck at this length since christmas. I hate straw-like ends. Have to cut them off.
Anyway, my roots aren't bothering me that much. It looks sunbleached.

angelakeats
June 23rd, 2009, 11:39 AM
I am growing out my colour now as well.
I have medium blondish roots with much blonder highlights. I have had soooo many highlights that most of my length is now the highlight colour.

What I am now doing is:
once per month I am putting a colour close to my root colour on my length.
I am doing this using a highlight cap so that I am only putting colour on small pieces of hair and distributed throughout instead of going all one colour right away.

I feel this is a better transition for me and a natural progression towards my natural colour.
I heavily condition my hair before I take the highlight cap off and kind of rinse it off my head so there is no snagging.

Anyway - my two cents ;)
Hope it helps someone!

note: I only use 1/3 to 1/2 of the colour product each time.

LaurelSpring
June 23rd, 2009, 12:02 PM
I have done some of all of them. I had been coloring light brown for many years so initially I colored back to match my new growth. This took a long time because of dye fading until finally I got it dark enough so the fad matched the roots and then I was done with chemical dye.

Next came the henna and growth phase. Then I just started small regular trims to get off the damaged colored ends and try to keep my hair healthy.

Now I want to phase out the henna but Im not cutting my hair anymore so I am just going to let it be.

BranwenWolf
June 23rd, 2009, 12:21 PM
I dyed my hair red with Clairol Natural Instincts but it lifted my base color a bit, since it has peroxide, so my roots are darker. Basically the red faded out but the length of my hair was a few shades lighter. Argh!
I'm blending the color change by putting honey on my roots, and it's also fading out a bit with the sun on my hair.
It really irrirated me to have the dark roots at first but I slowly got used to it.

Tracyarts
June 23rd, 2009, 06:53 PM
The stylist who had been coloring my hair the same shade for a decade with amazing results retired. I didn't want to risk anybody else messing it up, so for now I am using a semi permanent color in the same shade as the permanent color to blend in the new growth with the dyed length while trimming off ends a little bit at a time. I am eventually going to do some experimenting with henna mix formulas, to try and find a natural way to achieve the violet-red based burgundy color I have now; but if I can't make henna work for me to get the shade I want, I will stay with what I use now.

Tracy

Emichiee
June 23rd, 2009, 09:00 PM
I pretty much let it be but kept up trims for the sake of my ends thickness ;)
My chem. dye is a midback now, it has been 2 1/2 yrs. for me.:)

feralnature
June 24th, 2009, 03:11 PM
I am letting it be.

Much later on, I may trim it off, bit by bit. But not now.

Feye
June 24th, 2009, 04:53 PM
I'm just letting mine grow out and crossing fingers no-one is noticing... It is currently bleached at the ends, colored at the middle, and virgin at the roots. It shows in my signature pic. Weirdly, people always compliment the bleached and damaged ends, while I prefer the natural color myself. :rolleyes:

nowxisxforever
June 24th, 2009, 06:04 PM
I always just let mine be.

batteredcakes
July 8th, 2009, 07:29 PM
I usually let my hair just grow out, I don't really care for touch ups but I'm going to dye my hair back to black so now I don't have to worry about anything.

ladylibra
July 8th, 2009, 10:38 PM
I just let my hair grow out, and eventually after about 2.5 years of basic trims and getting layers cut I finally got back to a virgin head of hair. :D My hair color barely took though, so I had no qualms about my hair not matching... until the color was only taking up the last 2-3 inches of my hair and the color had faded to the reddish tone I had originally wanted. :rolleyes: But at that point I was over it and just snipped the last bit of colored ends, since they were dry and splitting all the time anyway.

SimplyViki
July 8th, 2009, 10:44 PM
I'm still working on it - that reddish tone in my avatar pic? Yeah, that's about a foot of dyed hair I'm still growing out. :rolleyes: I'm just trimming a bit at a time.

HisForever
July 8th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Before I let it be, but this time Im going to dye it to blend in, because its a shade lighter than my natural, and it might look a little funny If I let it be.

enfys
July 9th, 2009, 11:20 AM
I'm saying let it be because the colour I used to dye over washed out despite being permanent....

I only had a huge streak at the front, not an all over dye and it was a pink/red/purple colour. Once it got to about 2" of roots it looked really silly, but now I can't see it from the front and the length looks pinky blonde and weird but I refuse to cut to a bob when damage doesn't warrant it at all.

Evilynn
July 10th, 2009, 09:08 AM
The last time I went from fire engine red hair back to my natural blonde, I started out using more natural reds, going paler and paler, I also started to just dye the top half of my hair and leaving the lower layer alone (I have masses and masses of hair so this worked better than one would think as long as I kept the hair down) and then when I couldn't take it anymore I cut it all off into a layered cut just below the shoulder length (which got rid of all the red).

Right now I'm growing out bleached and highlighted bits, and I've stuck to just using a medium blonde semi perm on the lengths every now and then when the roots annoy me too much. Of course, by now I've started eyeing henna again. :D

Yttrai
July 10th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Not really a "dye" grow out, but normally my hair gets very blonde in the summer, but doesn't grow enough in the winter to show roots all that badly.

Then i spent a few years unable to spend as much time outdoors, and the blonde ends were too great a contrast to the dark roots.

So i used the gradual manic panic diluted in conditioner method to darken the blonde so it matched the roots better. I played with infrared/cobra mixes, and sometimes they are redder and sometimes browner. It's nice actually to be able to add or subtract some red based on my mood.

Currently i have a new house with a garden, so my roots are back to blending nicely with the rest of my hair, so i'm letting the red wash out and see how i feel about blonde again.

I suspect once the weather goes winter again, i'll go back to red ;)

KajiKodomo
July 10th, 2009, 12:44 PM
My process had a few steps (I'm not even done yet, as I just completed the last dye step at the beginning of the month).

-Haircolor remover followed by dye (I used too light of a color, so I ended up dyeing it red; I was going to remove it anyway).
-Haircolor remover followed by dye (I had to use haircolor remover twice as the dye I used was black and my natural color is a medium golden brown color--I ended up dyeing it a dark deep brown color though, but it worked).
-Grow out from there.

The color I have now is so close to my natural color that it's not going to be as much of a demarcation line as I had with the black dye. I have lightened the dye and dyed it a few more times, but I now have a pretty good starting point. The color difference between the black and brown bothered me too much to just let it grow out without dyeing, haha. :D

Brianna
July 10th, 2009, 01:28 PM
I've never really grown out colour before. I'm in the process of growing out dye now, though, and I've decided to just leave it alone until I've reached my length goal, and then I'll trim it off over time.

daydreamer
July 24th, 2009, 01:08 AM
I said trim a little at a time, but I usually wait until I can't stand the state of my ends before the trim happens -- thus, many months will go by in between. Hate losing length. :P

Rapunzal2Be
July 24th, 2009, 01:45 AM
My hair had been colored many many times (blonde to dark back to blonde, etc.) when I decided to go back to my natural color about seven months ago. I started out by using demi-perm color to darken it up to somewhat match my natural brunette. Then I joined LHC and gave up the demi-perm and went to semi-perm color (Loving Care) but that also gave me lots of shedding which I hated and wasn't really darkening it enough to make it worth it (I can't get the really dark brown shade locally).

So I decided to attempt to darken it a bit with Rainbow Light Brown hendigo. It didn't darken it by much, and definitely added more red tones than I'd bargained for. Now I'm unsure as to if I should try Dark Brown which has more indigo in it or if I should steer clear of henna mixes altogether.

Basically, my natural brown is ashy medium and has grown in about four inches or so, but for some reason I do not have a line of demarcation across my head, it looks a lot more random. The length is now a lighter, golden brown that sometimes shows red. It is very interesting, and I actually got compliments on it in my picture thread.

Sometimes when I look at it I get the urge to go buy a box of dark brown permanent color, and other times I look at it and think it is beautiful. I am trying very hard to leave well enough alone and just let it grow.

At this point my hair shows no damage, except for crunchy ends every now and again, but no breakage and no consistent bad texture, so I will keep it for as long as I can and trim it off with small trims as needed.

Rhea
July 24th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Now I say "trim a little at a while" , but now Im on hip . Before it I said "let it be" . Look at Xandergrammy , Paper , her hair and yours are fairly identical (color) !

23_seconds
July 24th, 2009, 10:57 AM
||||||||||

Eden_Rayn
July 24th, 2009, 12:20 PM
I voted let it be.
I had my last dye in October 2008. The girl dyed it a dark brown that was more black than brown...I don't know why it faded to look so much like my natural color. My line is somewhere 3"+ from my root but I am unable to tell where it is.

Naamah
July 26th, 2009, 01:50 AM
My color is growing out right now, it's about 1.5" grown out so far. I think I'm just going to let it be for now.

LittleOrca
July 26th, 2009, 02:38 AM
I did color my hair a few times with browns and dark browns to try and get out the henna and red chemical dyes I used, but now I am just letting it grow out and leaving it alone. Each time I get the right color, so I think, it turns out to be just a hair too warm for my shade when the roots come back. That and the sun likes to turn the dyed section gold. :rolleyes:

Angharad
August 19th, 2009, 06:31 AM
I'm growing out the henna about six years now and little by little trimmed out the colour, but it still hasn't grown out completely yet.

I've decided not to cut until July 2012 (for fairytale ends) and reaching tailbone-and then hiplenght (my goal is knee-lenght). I mean, I can cut for at least two more years and then the hennacolour will be certainly gone by then, but I also want really really LONG hair, so I'm focussing on growth now rather than achieving my own haircolour on my whole hairlenght.

dernhelm
August 19th, 2009, 03:20 PM
I picked other because I don't know what I'm going to do yet. I am growing out a home color job, but I am fairly certain that I will color again.

Teakafrog
August 20th, 2009, 02:46 PM
I dyed one last time to try to get it all as close to my natural color as possible, then trimmed a little at a time so I was still gaining length, but cutting off the damaged ends bit by bit. I think I still have about 3 inches or so of old dyed ends, but the rest is virgin, and in much better shape. I've been debating whether to just chop those ends now or not, haven't decided yet.

Madonna-Fan
August 20th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Until now I let it be and I have got 11,5 cm long roots (about 4,5 inches)
but I think that I will use herbal dye
(for the Germans: The colours of Logona I mean)
to match the roots better!

Amara
September 25th, 2009, 06:25 AM
I'm growing out henna. Had my last henna a little over 2 years ago. My natural color is medium/dark ashy brown. Indoors there's not too much of a difference. In sunlight the bottom half of my hair is red red red, and there are ZERO reddish tones in my natural hair color.

I'm sort of doing a lot of those options. I didn't trim for almost a year, but in general I'm trimming bit by bit. I'm going to classic in 2010 sometime and then we'll see. I also dyed the length with an ashy brown but it just didnt cover the henna.

I am patiently awaiting having classic + natural color. Got a ways to go! :D :meditate:

Taika
September 25th, 2009, 06:47 AM
I colored to blend in... had my hairstylist remove some of the reddish tone and then put some Ashtones on top, lets see how this goes... (and how red it will be when the ashdye fades...:rolleyes:) So working progress...

Mutinous
September 25th, 2009, 12:15 PM
I'm trimming mine every 6 weeks (about an inch a go, as my hair grows stupidly fast). I decided against the blending in and putting my colour on, as to me it seems a little like defeating the point!

I'm at about 3.5 inches of regrowth now but luckily my dye isnt too far off my natural colour, just a lot redder in tine (the flash on the camera in my sig pic emphasises this).

Elfe
September 25th, 2009, 12:33 PM
I am just trying to grow my dye out, but I don't want to cut all off.
I cut every few month a little bit.

Tangerine
September 25th, 2009, 05:45 PM
I let it be. They are only highlights in my case and mix in with my normal hair colour to the extent that I am not bothered by them much.

Kris Dove
September 26th, 2009, 04:40 PM
I cut it off as my dyed hair was black, and my natural hue is mousy blonde. The dye was over previous dyes, so I thought stripping the colour would totally fry my hair and there didn't seem much point wasting time and money trying and just chopped it off to a short faux-hawk/pixie 'do. I was curious to see how my hair would look short as I've had it in almost every other style imaginable, but I really feel as if long hair is more "me".

honeybrown1976
September 27th, 2009, 03:01 PM
let it be and grow out

hmmruka
September 27th, 2009, 03:29 PM
I had been coloring my hair for many years, changing the color every 3 or 4 months. The last color I was doing was a fire engine red but at least it was only a demi-permanent color that I put it my hair once a week. When I found out I was pregnant I went cold turkey and stopped coloring my hair. This was very hard and there were times when I hated my hair because the red had faded and turned kind of orange over time, but red never fully leaves your hair I swear. I also did not even trim my hair for a year or use a blow dryer or flat iron. I gave everything up. I do think that I still have a little bit of color left in my hair but I only cut it off when I trimmed.

BunnyBee
September 27th, 2009, 03:50 PM
I'd dyed my hair a multitude of colours before I found this place, bleached it numerous times as well. If I'd cut off all the damage I'd have a pixie cut :( So instead I cut 5 inches and hennaed to make my hair look like hair again lol
I wish I could be brave enough to cut all the damage in one go.

23_seconds
September 27th, 2009, 07:01 PM
||||||||||

Pumpkin
September 28th, 2009, 01:34 PM
I voted to "let it be". I am growing out color and have about 1 1/2 inch virgin growth. I might at some point change my mind if the demarcation line is too severe in a few months, but for now, I want to just leave it alone and let it grow.

Nocturnal
September 28th, 2009, 03:12 PM
I think a nice way to blend colour is to put highlights on darker part of hair and lowlights on lighter part.

Addy
September 28th, 2009, 07:35 PM
I'm letting mine be. I tried to blend it with a semi but it got washed down the drain in two showers. It wasn't worth it to me. I'll eventually trim but I'm not ready to lose length, not even to a trim... my ends are good. I'm waiting for Christmas and hopefully, I'll be at waist! :D

wavywords
September 29th, 2009, 09:45 AM
I said "let it be." For some reason, even permanent colors tend to fade on me after a time. Also, I use Herbatint, which has no ammonia or other harsh chemicals, and I've never used bleach. So my hair is in very good shape. I have enough layers to grow out (growing out from pixie) that the new hair coming in might make for an interesting blend of colors.