PDA

View Full Version : Why don't I like my Boar's Hair brush?

mommy101405
April 9th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Why don't I like my Boars Hair Brush? It seems like it slicks my hair down and I don't feel like it goes through all my hair. It sort of just glides over the top and makes it look oily. I will admit its not a nice one but I wanted to try it before I spent a lot. Is this normal or do I need a different one? What other types of brushes are good for hair? I am fairly fine but have quite a bit of it. Very little wave but get a decent amount of fullness. I want a nice brush that's going to make my hair look nice and not flattened to my head.

SHELIAANN1969
April 9th, 2008, 11:22 AM
I cant really use a brush either, it makes my hair flat and kills the curls, I gave my Kent brush to my sister who has straight hair.

I now only fingercomb, or rarely use my horn or wooden comb when I MUST get the tangles out.

KajiKodomo
April 9th, 2008, 11:32 AM
I have thick hair (iii) and I didn't like BBBs either. It did the same thing you're talking about, mommy101405. It slicked down the top layer of hair and made it oily, while it didn't penetrate the rest of it. It felt like I was smoothing my hair out with my hands (that's about how effective it was at penetrating my hair! :rolleyes:).

I use a paddle brush since it's the only thing that will go through all of my hair. It does take out most, if not all, of my wave though. I usually buy the ones where the little ends (the part that goes through your hair) is made of one piece (instead of being coated with the plasticy stuff that you can pull off, or will fall off after using it for a while), and also make sure that the ends are as seamless as I can find.

It's hard to say what will work best for you. It's mostly an experimental thing. The wider apart the ends/teeth are, the better for your hair.

lora410
April 9th, 2008, 11:32 AM
I know at some health food stores they have stiffer boar bristle brushes. I have been meaning to get one. Mine doesn't glide all the way through my hair or even touch my scalp either.

wolf girl
April 9th, 2008, 11:37 AM
I have the same issue with them. However, I do use it when I'm doing an oil treatment or after a scalp maasge. BBBs are great for distributing oils down your length. To make my hair looks better afterwards, I run my wood comb through it so its not plastard to my head. I don't use brushes for detandling or everyday use.

Shell
April 9th, 2008, 11:42 AM
There's a lot of variation in BBBs. The one I use for scalp stimulation is from Morrocco Method, and it's the only one I've used that works on my iii hair/scalp. It was mid range in price. The one I use for smoothing is a tiny handbag sized brush that I use mostly to make my length and ends soft. It only gets through the top layer of hair. It was a cheapie--but really useful. I have two other BBBs which I hate and never use. They were cheapies too.

soleluna
April 9th, 2008, 11:44 AM
I have the same issue with them. However, I do use it when I'm doing an oil treatment or after a scalp maasge. BBBs are great for distributing oils down your length. To make my hair looks better afterwards, I run my wood comb through it so its not plastard to my head.

I do the same thing! I have one which is quite stiff, with some naylon bristles, but since my hair is very thick and wavt, it's oly good for distributing oil.

Lizbot
April 9th, 2008, 12:06 PM
I have the same issue with them. However, I do use it when I'm doing an oil treatment or after a scalp maasge. BBBs are great for distributing oils down your length. To make my hair looks better afterwards, I run my wood comb through it so its not plastard to my head. I don't use brushes for detandling or everyday use.

Thirded. I do this as well.

When I am distributing the oils, it's a bit time consuming because I kind of have to do it piece by piece... it's the only way the bristles will go through well enough. It's worth it though.

Nevermore
April 9th, 2008, 12:07 PM
I have thick hair and a BBB that isn't terribly stiff. You do have to brush sections or brush up from underneath (like putting it under your nape hair and running it down to the ends) if you don't get one with very stiff bristles. I used to get frustrated with it because of the reasons you mentioned, but now that I use it differently, I see what a wonderful tool it is and use it daily.

I generally comb my hair out, brush it and comb it again with a wide tooth comb when I'm done to put it where I want it.

ChloeDharma
April 9th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Mine goes all the way through to my scalp mostly.....but i know what you mean about flattening, i don't mind that though.
What about those wooden brushes....the smooth ones. Body Shop do some that look quite good and the teeth are fairly spaced appart and smooth.

Anje
April 9th, 2008, 12:20 PM
My current BBB is a Phillips that I got at Sally's. The bristles are quite stiff, so it penetrates to the scalp.

I find that BBBs weave my hair together, leaving it super-flat against my head. The only way to get around this is to follow brushing with combing it out to fluff it again. As far as making your hair look oily, yep, that's what they can do. BBBs pull the oil off your scalp and spread it through your hair. Of course, as you continue to brush, it picks up more oil from the scalp, so the hair nearest continues to be oily. I don't have a solution for you there -- if I did, I'd use mine more.

1nuitblanche
April 9th, 2008, 12:26 PM
I often don't brush my hair, but when I do, I have the same feeling as you--that it doesn't penetrate. So I usually brush the top, then flip my head upside-down to reach more of it. It's useful enough when I want to distribute oils. But, at the end, I always end up using my fingers and a wooden comb to make my hair look decent again.

Blueglass
April 9th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Great for oil distribution. I only use mine at night.