PDA

View Full Version : Extra Virgin Coconut Oil - refrigerate?

BlndeInDisguise
May 21st, 2009, 09:41 AM
I bought some EVCO, and on the jar it says to refrigerate after opening. Do I have to? It gets really hard when it's that cold, and it's a bit of a pain. I've had other coconut oil (not extra virgin) and it doesn't say anything about refrigerating.

Aisha25
May 21st, 2009, 10:00 AM
You dont have to but you can if you want too. It stays good anywhere warm or cold:)

creativehoney
May 21st, 2009, 10:04 AM
If you're just putting it in your hair or in other homemade products, then I wouldn't worry about refrigerating it,
but if your going to be cooking with it a lot, I would follow the directions........just in case.
better to be safe than sorry. It must be on the directions for a reason.

Aisha25
May 21st, 2009, 10:08 AM
Its just oil for some people handling it hard is easier for them then handling it as a liquid:shrug: Its not anymore sanitiary or anything.

magpielaura
May 21st, 2009, 10:45 AM
I keep a small pot on my dressing table that I refill from the big jar I keep in the fridge. I leave the big jar out for a bit so its easier to scoop out when I'm ready to refill.

I only bothered to refridgerate the oil because I could see that the jar was going to last a really long time (it is a big jar!) and some oils go rancid eventually. Not sure if the EVCO would, but I quite like having a neat, small pot of oil on my dressing table than a big greasy jar:)

Aisha25
May 21st, 2009, 10:47 AM
I keep a small pot on my dressing table that I refill from the big jar I keep in the fridge. I leave the big jar out for a bit so its easier to scoop out when I'm ready to refill.

I only bothered to refridgerate the oil because I could see that the jar was going to last a really long time (it is a big jar!) and some oils go rancid eventually. Not sure if the EVCO would, but I quite like having a neat, small pot of oil on my dressing table than a big greasy jar:)
Yes espesially if your going to be putting fingers in there :lol: I would do same thing:p

teela1978
May 21st, 2009, 10:49 AM
It can go rancid on you if you take a while to use it. If you're worried, you could get a smaller container and just remove a few ounces at a time.

BlndeInDisguise
May 21st, 2009, 11:10 AM
Putting some in a smaller container is a good idea! It's not a very big jar, and between me and two horses, we use quite a bit. :p But I might keep at least some of it in the fridge over the summer, anyway.

Silver Strands
May 21st, 2009, 11:15 AM
I bought a large container and didn't store it in the refrigerator and it started turning black.
I ended up throwing the whole container away.
Next tub I buy will be stored properly.

creativehoney
May 21st, 2009, 02:41 PM
I bought a large container and didn't store it in the refrigerator and it started turning black.

You should check out the thread titled "how do you use coconut oil". I just bought a jar like a few days ago and mine is almost gone already :o

Redheaded Raven
May 21st, 2009, 02:52 PM
:shocked: :agape: Wow! I think that I will put mine in the fridge now, I use it alot, but not that fast! And eeeewwwwwwwwww! I don't want black coconut oil!:p

BlndeInDisguise
May 21st, 2009, 05:24 PM

Eeeeew! I'm definitely keeping that stuff in the fridge. I don't want black coconut oil!

Deborah
May 21st, 2009, 09:12 PM
I always use organic, extra virgin coconut oil. I buy mine in 54 ounce jars, which I store in the bathroom. I've gone through countless jars, using it on my hair and skin, and eating it as well, and I've never had any of it go bad. :)

ktani
May 21st, 2009, 09:19 PM
I researched this information and ammended it for the Honey thread, on storing oils as well as the other honey lightening recipe ingredients. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=166458&postcount=1452)

princess
May 21st, 2009, 09:27 PM
Great info Ktani! Just what I wanted to stay myself. These oils have a shelf life of about six months at room temperature. They can ideally be stored in a dark cool place. Should be transferred to smaller jars when used daily. It can be kept in the bathroom rather than the kitchen. If you use them for cooking then may be you should keep the smaller jar in the kitchen. I store mine in the basement in the cool room. When we open a bottle a portion is in the kitchen and another portion in the bathroom.

ktani
May 21st, 2009, 09:34 PM
Great info Ktani! Just what I wanted to stay myself. These oils have a shelf life of about six months at room temperature. They can ideally be stored in a dark cool place. Should be transferred to smaller jars when used daily. It can be kept in the bathroom rather than the kitchen. If you use them for cooking then may be you should keep the smaller jar in the kitchen. I store mine in the basement in the cool room. When we open a bottle a portion is in the kitchen and another portion in the bathroom.

Thanks.

The confusion comes from people often not realizing that a shelf life given is for unopened oils. That changes once the oil has been opened and is about 1/2 of the unopened shelf life. Once opened, an oil is better stored in the fridge.

curls2grow
May 21st, 2009, 09:56 PM
Thanks for posting about this. I am going to move mine to the fridge tomorrow; just opened it the jar a couple of weeks ago.

neon-dream
May 22nd, 2009, 02:12 AM
I used to refrigerate mine, but then it took ages to melt so I leave it out so it is easier to handle as it is soft :).

Heavenly Locks
May 22nd, 2009, 03:16 AM
Mine comes in a white opaque container, it seems to keep better like that since it is away from the light. :) I don't refrigerate mine either and I've had this container for about a year now...

(just bought a new one though, as I only have a tad bit left. )