PDA

View Full Version : Diluting shampoo with honey?

Arctic
May 19th, 2009, 05:23 AM
I remember reading years and years ago of some Finnish woman, long before I was a member here or even growing out my own hair, who was using just honey to wash her hair. She wrote it took few washes to her hair/scalp to adjust but after that she was very happy with it.

I never quite forgot what I had read, and I got this idea in my head that maybe I could experiment diluting my shampoo with honey. I have sensitive scalp and have a trusty (sulfate) shampoo that has helped my scalp to stay balanced and I'm not willing to give it up. I have tried diluting with water but I just did not like it, it was difficult to manage because it was so runny, and I often ended up using more shampoo than I do with my undiluted shampoo. Also I can make the full strength shampoo stay at the scalp better, right where it is most needed.

I had success diluting shampoo with aloe vera gel, and liked it, but it was just an extra step and I left that out after a while. Ofcourse mixing honey in the shampoo is also an extra step, but I know my self and am not planning to do this with every wash but it will be a great option for once in a while when I want some pampering!

So, yesterday I tried this, using a little less shampoo than I normally do and about same amounth of honey. Mixed in my palm and shampooed (honpooed?) like normal. I rinsed well, thinking I don't want any sticky honey residue in my hair. The shampooing was pleasant, it maybe lathered a litlle less than normally, the lovely honey smell was nice. Did my normal routines otherwise (exept added a bit honey in my conditioner too) and went to sleep with wet hair.

Today my hair is wonderful! It's very soft and moisturized! And what is very important to me, my scalp is not a tinyest bit irritated!!! Yay!

That was actually one of the reasons behind this experiment, because SMT irritate my scalp and I wanted to know if it was honey or conditioner, I knew it wasn't aloe gel. Conditioner on the scalp has become a huge irritant to my skin after my CO experimenting after I joined here :( But now I know I can use honey hair masks etc.

Sorry this is so long, but wanted to know if others have diluted their shampoo with honey or used just honey to wash their hair/scalp?

Katze
May 19th, 2009, 06:58 AM
yes, I also have serious scalp issues and often use honey, alone, mixed with conditioner, or in an SMT.

If I wash with shampoo, I tend to not wash with honey too, since, for me, shampoo washing is about getting my scalp REALLY clean. honey soothes and moisturizes, but does not deep clean.

I can't think that there would be any problems diluting shampoo with honey, as long as you rinse really well.

Arctic
May 19th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Thanks Katze!
Anybody else???

Samitra
May 19th, 2009, 01:20 PM
I think I should try it. If I get conditioner too close to my scalp, my hair looks greasy faster. But if I use honey with my shampoo, the hairs closer to the scalp would get more moisture, right?

Arctic
May 19th, 2009, 01:27 PM
I would think so, at least my hair feels very good today from root to tips :)

Samitra
May 19th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Sounds nice! I'm going to put it on my "to try" list for June :D

OhioLisa
May 19th, 2009, 02:27 PM
I just washed today, but for my next wash on Thursday, I will definitely give this a go and report back with my results. I am really curious about this as well. :)

daydreamer
May 19th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Now this is an interesting idea! I'm in need of some new things to try as I am having moisture issues. And, I also have a sensitive scalp that can't deal without SLS but hates conditioner. Hm! Have to get myself a big jar of honey. :)

freznow
May 19th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Go for it.

(I haven't tried it personally, as I don't really use shampoo, but I believe I have read of someone else doing so - or perhaps it was aloe, or both that she diluted her shampoo in... I see no particular reason why it shouldn't work.)

swirlytresses
May 19th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Never tried honey in my shampoo....actually I don't use shampoo, I use either DW, poo bars, or co wash. Anyway, I use honey in my conditioner. My hair Loves honey!!! I also add it to my flaxseed gel when I make it. I use DW and poo bars that have honey in them, so I would suppose it would work as well in shampoo. I am planning on making shampoo with Dr. Bronner's castile soap and I'm going to add honey to it, and I'm sure my hair will love me. :)

DragonLady
May 19th, 2009, 04:09 PM
I haven't tried diluting shampoo with honey, but I do use honey everytime I wash. Before I shampoo I mix up a potion of egg yolks, honey and molasses, and leave it on my hair for an hour. Then I shampoo with diluted Flex, then use catnip, then finally put on an SMT for an hour.

Thankfully, I only go through that routine once a week, as it take hours. But, my hair has never been so happy.

Arctic
May 20th, 2009, 06:13 AM
Thanks for all the answers and interest! I have been doing some googling and there seems to be a comment here and other there that there are people who have done this and like it/recommend it. Yay!

My hair has been exeptionally soft since my wash, even my fiance noticed the difference!

I thought I add that the honey I used is a liquid, runny kind of honey, it was sold in squirt type of bottle, it was one of the cheepest there (for any Finns, it was Pirkka juokseva hunaja). Probably thicker honey will be just as good, it maybe takes a bit more mixing and perhaps rinsing?

Do let us know how your experiments go!

Arctic
May 20th, 2009, 06:15 AM
I haven't tried diluting shampoo with honey, but I do use honey everytime I wash. Before I shampoo I mix up a potion of egg yolks, honey and molasses, and leave it on my hair for an hour. Then I shampoo with diluted Flex, then use catnip, then finally put on an SMT for an hour.

Thankfully, I only go through that routine once a week, as it take hours. But, my hair has never been so happy.

That IS some labor intensive routine! :bigeyes: I'm glad the rewards are so great! Yay for honey!

Samitra
May 20th, 2009, 06:24 AM
I thought I add that the honey I used is a liquid, runny kind of honey, it was sold in squirt type of bottle, it was one of the cheepest there (for any Finns, it was Pirkka juokseva hunaja). Probably thicker honey will be just as good, it maybe takes a bit more mixing and perhaps rinsing?

Do let us know how your experiments go!

I was just about to ask :) I promise to let you know how it works out, but it's going to take another 2 weeks or so before I try.

Arctic
May 20th, 2009, 06:31 AM
I'm waiting patiently :D

Arctic
May 24th, 2009, 05:23 PM
I did this a second time today. (There was one regular shampoo wash between the first and second try.) It worked just as nicely today, and my scalp feels absolutely wonderful!

BonanzaJB
May 25th, 2009, 04:20 AM
i too dilute my shampoo with honey (been doing it for 2 years) and love the results. i have oily and sensitive scalp.it makes the shampoo less harsh. and it is not just because i use less shampoo. i have diluted my shampoo with other things and it wasn´t the same. my hair feels softer and my scalp feels "calmer". clean enough, but not stripped.

i also use the honey lightening treatment ( 1 part honey- 3 parts water, by weight) not because of the lightening, but because of how soft and moisturized my hair feels!

Arctic
May 25th, 2009, 05:18 AM
i too dilute my shampoo with honey (been doing it for 2 years) and love the results. i have oily and sensitive scalp.it makes the shampoo less harsh. and it is not just because i use less shampoo. i have diluted my shampoo with other things and it wasn´t the same. my hair feels softer and my scalp feels "calmer". clean enough, but not stripped.

i also use the honey lightening treatment ( 1 part honey- 3 parts water, by weight) not because of the lightening, but because of how soft and moisturized my hair feels!

Great to hear you have long term experience with this method and that your results are positive! Thanks for sharing!

Samitra
June 2nd, 2009, 10:22 AM
Ok, so now I've tried this. And since I already wrote about it in my blog, I'll be lazy and just copy-paste :D

What I did:

I took 1 part SLS-shampoo, 1 part liquid honey, mixed in my hand and applied to scalp and washed as usual. I had to add more of the mix after a while since it felt like I had unwashed spots on my scalp. It didn’t lather much, so I guess that made it a bit harder to spread out.

I then rinsed, applied conditioner, and rinsed again.

When my hair was towel dry I applied sweet almond oil as usual.

How it felt:

When my hair was wet after the shower, it felt squeaky clean, and I think I could have done with less shampoo, and find a better technique of applying the mix to make sure my entire scalp gets washed.

When it was dry, my hair felt softer than usual. A lovely feeling. But I must try this with another conditioner as well. Today I used a conditioner that is somewhat “heavier” than the ones I’ve been using for the last months. It might have affected the results. But then again, I never apply conditioner to the top 4-5”, and the hair up there is definitely softer.

But the ends are a bit crunchy and they stick to each other only seconds after combing. Maybe it could be build-up? (I’ve never had build up before, so I don’t know) That might have nothing to do with the shampoo-honey dilution, since I don’t shampoo the ends, and the ends have been misbehaving since Sunday (when I did a cassia treatment).

So next wash day (Thursday) I’ll do a clarifying wash with the only protein-free SLS- shampoo I have. And then put on the usual conditioner and oil. That hopefully will take care of the misbehaving ends.

So on Saturday, I’ll give the shampoo-honey mix another try.

But so far, I like it! It's easy, there is not much extra steps and my hair likes it!

Edit: After being up all day, the ends now seem normal again. Maybe they didn't like the thought of a clarifying wash... This means I can do a honey+shampoo wash again at Thursday. :D

Arctic
June 3rd, 2009, 07:58 AM
Thanks for sharing you experience Samitra!
I have never tried cassia but at least many say henna makes ends wierd for few days. Otherwise sticky ends means buildup in my hair.

Here is my update, also I am lazy and just c/p from my blog :D

UPDATE on HONEY+SHAMPOO

My last try was not as successful as others had been: Otherwise all went well and hair/scalp felt wonderful, but I lost more hair during washing and while it air dried than I normally do. Normally I loose about 0-2 while washing, now at least twenty. The numbers are not huge, but more than I am used to. Ofcourse I can't say for sure if it was honey that casued this, but my next wash after that, when I washed without honey, I was back to my normal almost nothing hair loss.

The only things I did differently with that honey+shampoo wash was, that I washed two times in a row with that method, other times I had washed at least once between honey+shampoos with only shampoo.

I will probably keep the honey+shampoo mix as a special sometimes treat.

Velvettt wrote in my blog she also suspects honey (in conditioner in her case) to cause more than usual shedding. I wonder if others have noticed anything similar?
I'm a bit reluctant to experiment more on washing two or more times in a row with honey+shampoo mix, as I am paranoid about hair loose, having once experiensed a very heavy one. But I am going to use this method every now and then, I had no extra shedding from honey+shampoos when I didn't wash twice in a row with this method.

Samitra
June 3rd, 2009, 11:24 AM
Oh, extra shedding doesn't sound like fun...

But I think I'm going to try and wash with the dilution every wash this week. If I shed more than usual tomorrow, I'll just skip the honey on Saturday. From your experiences the shedding went back to normal after a regular wash. I can take one day of extra shedding, not more...

I'll let you know if I shed more than usual.

Because after the one wash with honey, I'm very pleased with the results, and want to continue. :D

I wonder why honey causes shedding? Both together with shampoo and conditioner.... Hm.

Katze
June 3rd, 2009, 11:39 AM
In my experience, honey does not cause shedding. Quite the opposite. My shedding seems to come most when my scalp is crusty and irritated - I scratch or touch my scalp (I know, bad habit) then more hairs fall out. Then I wash, and during detangling, more hairs come out.

Honey soothes this itching and helps me not touch my scalp, therefore, I shed less if I do anything with honey.

I would suspect the results others got might not be shedding that is related to honey but shedding for some other reason...

Charlize
June 3rd, 2009, 01:04 PM
Maybe this is a stupid question, but doesn't the honey light the hair when it's not heated? Someone in here told me that at some point. But maybe not when you mix it with shampoo?

neon-dream
June 3rd, 2009, 01:24 PM
Maybe this is a stupid question, but doesn't the honey light the hair when it's not heated? Someone in here told me that at some point. But maybe not when you mix it with shampoo?

That's what I was thinking. I don't want to try it incase it lightens my hair!

Arctic
June 4th, 2009, 06:41 AM
Katze, thank for telling your experience, it's assuring to hear that :)

As for lightening the hair, at least I haven't noticed anything. I really haven't really been following the honey lightening thread, but to my understanding they keep the honey on the hair for a long time and mix it with some other ingredients?

With shampoo it's there for some tens of seconds or so. I will report if I see any lightening, but I highly doubt I will :)

Fethenwen
June 4th, 2009, 08:10 AM
I have had success with using honey in conditioner lately. I usually have had problems with honey only because it is so hard to rinse out. But putting some honey in conditioner gives no such problems whatsoever.
It really feels soothing and lovely! I posted my success with a scalp soothing hybrid conditioner wash in the CO thread. It worked well for itchy and gunky scalp. Very little honey was needed.

Well here's the recipe:

-Light conditioner (I used about three table spoons)
-a few drops of shampoo (very little needed)
-EO, I happened to have both ylang ylang and black pine, so a few drops of that (tea tree might have worked even better and lavender)
-third of a teaspoon of honey

I haven't used honey in shampoo however because I don't use shampoo that much, and those few times I have diluted it with water. I think I will try and add some honey too, next time for the soothing benefits and extra shine.

Katze
June 4th, 2009, 08:24 AM

In all my years (20+) of putting honey on my hair and skin, it has never lightened my hair. Not once. I also use it on BF's hair when he will let me and it has not ever lightened his hair either.

My suspicion is that either the honey lightening is really people seeing extra shine on clean hair, or that dye/henna are stripped out, or that under some very particular and unique circumstances honey does something that makes hair seem lighter. IMO, it is nothing you have to worry about at all. :)

ktani
June 4th, 2009, 08:41 AM

Honey produces peroxide when diluted with water or something that contains water but the amount of time a "honey shampoo" is going to be on your hair is not going make a difference in your hair colour (unless you leave it on your hair for an hour, covered, then it is quite possible.)

There are pictures of honey lightened hair here. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=133707&postcount=1095)

Aeasa
June 4th, 2009, 06:29 PM
I haven't mixed honey with my shampoo, but I have used it with my conditioner several times now and it leaves my hair super soft.

Sceleste
June 5th, 2009, 09:24 AM
I used honey in my diluted shampoo mix yesterday and I like the results so far. Hair feels softer and scalp isn't too stripped. Usually after washing with shampoo scalp feels tight and hair coarse but now it feels fine. Also hair seems to be just as clean as with just shampoo.

I used 1 teaspoon of honey to maybe a cup of warm water, mixed them well and then added a teaspoon of shampoo.

augustspy
June 5th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Yes, I too found that my raw honey and non sls poo mix made me shed quite a bit more. I mixed about 1/2 t -3/4 t honey + 2 t TheraNeen poo in a 4 oz squirt bottle. I applied this and let it sit less than 1 min. Rinsed. None of it was left on my scalp I feel sure.

I am just coming to the end of a shed that's gone on for a while now. Changing out thyroid meds caused it along with too low ferritin. So when something like this makes me shed more I wonder if this is because the honey stimulated the telegen hairs out faster as it cleansed really deeply. Or might it be something else. My honey appeared to be very clarifying overall. So this alone could cause more loss.

My hair was very fluffy and I loved the feel of it. Down the line I will definitely try this again.

AG

Velvettt wrote in my blog she also suspects honey (in conditioner in her case) to cause more than usual shedding. I wonder if others have noticed anything similar?
I'm a bit reluctant to experiment more on washing two or more times in a row with honey+shampoo mix, as I am paranoid about hair loose, having once experiensed a very heavy one. But I am going to use this method every now and then, I had no extra shedding from honey+shampoos when I didn't wash twice in a row with this method.[/QUOTE]

Arctic
June 14th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Yesterday I did again a honey-shampoo wash. (I have documented my every honey-shampoo wash here, so you can see it has been a while since my last one. I wash my hair every other day.) This time I used a different shampoo (no other reason, than I just have been using this one lately). I had done a heavy oiling which I CWCed out letting the first C sit under a showercap while I did my shower routine, then honey-shampooed the scalp, and applied a quick second C. Honey seems to work as well with both shampoos I have tried.

My hair had been feeling a bit dry lately but no more! It feels wonderful again! Ofcourse there were other factors than honey involved (deep oiling, CWC method). I DID NOT shed more than what is normal to me. My scalp feels good too, even though I did not apply my normal after the wash aloe gel+lavender+rosemary essential oils mix to it (I was a bit busy, I usually use that mix religiously, it makes my scalp feel great and keeps it healthy).

ETA: All the oil washed out just fine, the (first) conditioner is what cleanses it (I never oil scalp).

Nienna
June 21st, 2009, 03:31 PM
This sounded so interesting that I decided to try it. I went ahead and did it twice just to be sure and to cover any variables that might pop up.

So far my hair seems to be pretty much the same, not really any more dry or moisturized than normal.

However, my extremely touchy scalp seems to enjoy the addition of honey into my SLS-free shampoo. It's not, so far, a complete cure for the flaky and itchy problems that I've had for years, but it has helped.

I'm going to keep trying this, as my recent use of SLS-free 'poo seems to have done some good for my poor scalp and I'm hoping that the honey might add some additional relief.

As for the shedding, I shed like a long-haired dog in Spring anyway, so I'm not the person to give any good indication of additional shedding.

Arctic
July 6th, 2009, 10:12 AM
This sounded so interesting that I decided to try it. I went ahead and did it twice just to be sure and to cover any variables that might pop up.

So far my hair seems to be pretty much the same, not really any more dry or moisturized than normal.

However, my extremely touchy scalp seems to enjoy the addition of honey into my SLS-free shampoo. It's not, so far, a complete cure for the flaky and itchy problems that I've had for years, but it has helped.

I'm going to keep trying this, as my recent use of SLS-free 'poo seems to have done some good for my poor scalp and I'm hoping that the honey might add some additional relief.

As for the shedding, I shed like a long-haired dog in Spring anyway, so I'm not the person to give any good indication of additional shedding.

I'm glad honey helps your scalp! Thanks for sharing your experiences!

Thanks also for everybody who have taken time to try this and report their experiencies!

Arctic
July 6th, 2009, 10:16 AM
I was bored last night and thought to try something "rebelious" lol! I washed my hair with handfull of shampoo+honey, much more shampoo than I have been using in a loooong time (probably since joining LHC!). And didn't use any conditioner after that. :bigeyes:

The results were: wonderful, tanglefree hair, that felt no different than if I would have used handful of conditioner after shampooing. The honey might have something to with it :) the more I use honey the more I've learned to love it!

ETA: Just noticed that the thread has been moved to the herbal and recipes forum.

Evilynn
July 6th, 2009, 02:20 PM
My scalp feels good too, even though I did not apply my normal after the wash aloe gel+lavender+rosemary essential oils mix to it (I was a bit busy, I usually use that mix religiously, it makes my scalp feel great and keeps it healthy).

Out of curiosity do you wash out the aloe gel + EOs, or do you leave them on? I've had an itchy scalp all my life and I'm always on the look out for soothing mixes. :)

LuXious
July 6th, 2009, 11:13 PM
I found this thread this morning and tried it. I mixed about 2 tbsp. Aritha powder (Mellie's beloved soapnuts!) with about a tbsp. honey and enough water to make a more-watery-than-creamy consistency. Washed and did not condition, air-dried. My hair felt GRRREAT! Clean and balanced and sooo soft. I love this. It's my new favorite shampoo. Thanks!

lailmil
July 7th, 2009, 08:03 AM
I do it with shampoos I don't like
honey on me is very drying, so I use it when I have a shampoo that's not very clarifying and leaves my hair a bit oily.

Arctic
July 8th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Copy/paste from my journal:

I love honey! Yesterday as I washed my hair I did another small experiment, as I was so pleased of how my hair felt after the previous wash (see my last post). For the records, the hair stayed feeling as wonderful as it was right after the wash, even the second day hair was amazing, so moisturized it was cool to the touch.

Ok, last night I kind of wanted to repeat the method from previous time but was afraid of if it would be drying two times a row. So I kind of did the opposite, lol.

I squirted a lot of honey in my cupped hand, added a little bit of shampoo and washed scalp with that. Rinsed and applied tons of honey to the lenght, like I would use conditioner. I say tons because as honey doesn't have slip in itself it was a bit difficult to apply evenly everywhere. After other showery things I rinsed my hair again, last rinse with cold water.

After drying a bit in towel turban, I applied my usual AVG+EOs on scalp and watered down AVG on lengths as a leave in.

Hair feels really nice and moisturized again! Not tangly. Just good! Scalp got clean and feels good too. (There were few flakes though.)

Arctic
July 8th, 2009, 06:25 PM
I do it with shampoos I don't like
honey on me is very drying, so I use it when I have a shampoo that's not very clarifying and leaves my hair a bit oily.

That's really interesting to hear! And this really proves that every head of hair is different.

Arctic
July 8th, 2009, 06:29 PM
I found this thread this morning and tried it. I mixed about 2 tbsp. Aritha powder (Mellie's beloved soapnuts!) with about a tbsp. honey and enough water to make a more-watery-than-creamy consistency. Washed and did not condition, air-dried. My hair felt GRRREAT! Clean and balanced and sooo soft. I love this. It's my new favorite shampoo. Thanks!

Great to hear it works with soapnuts too!

Out of curiosity do you wash out the aloe gel + EOs, or do you leave them on? I've had an itchy scalp all my life and I'm always on the look out for soothing mixes. :)

I leave it on my scalp, they have really helped me with my sensitive scalp! Aloe is soothing on itself and especially lavender is really soothing too!

Evilynn
July 9th, 2009, 07:43 AM
I leave it on my scalp, they have really helped me with my sensitive scalp! Aloe is soothing on itself and especially lavender is really soothing too!

Thank you. I'm definitely going to have to try that. :) I tried mixing my shampoo with honey (about 50/50) last night and it left my hair very soft, although it seems like a lot of a semi perm dye I had in my hair washed out with the honey.

Persephone94
November 16th, 2011, 06:38 AM
I used diluted SLS-free shampoo with jojoba oil and honey. My hair is so soft!!! It's amazing. Also got the feeling that it is wavier for longer than before. Definitely will do it again and trying to convice others as well. I don't need any conditioner and don't use any other products on my hair.