PDA

View Full Version : Yellow hair....please help!!!

Rhonda
April 6th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Hi ~ I could really use some input from the henna experts out there ~

About a week ago, I order Morrocco Method Henna (claiming to be pure henna, organic etc)

I've been using chemical dye to lighten my medium ash blond hair for about 10 years....it has become very dry and thin and had lost the shine that my natural hair always had. So, I've finally decided to go natural.

Well, I ordered the "marigold blond" from Morrocco Method.

I followed all the instructions exactly and ended up with awful results. My roots are still the same color, but the rest of the hair which was a faded blond turned EXTREMELY bright yellow....think the color of turmeric...highly pigmented...and quite fluorescent...really awful...especially with my fair skin....I'd be so unhappy if I had to cut it.

The parts that were the driest soaked up the most yellow.

Ironically, the condition of my hair is amazing!!! So much softer and smoother...if I only liked the color, I'd be thrilled.

So, what do you think happened? I don't think there were chemicals in this "henna" or else it would be damaged right?

I had called Morrocco Method (and honestly, they didn't seem to care) They mentioned that henna doesn't work well with 'ash' bases (my natural hair) Do you agree with this?

They said to use their "light brown" henna mixed with their "neutral" to tone it down. Well, I'm no longer a gambler, so, I did several test samples on my hair and was NOT happy with the results: either too little 'light brown' did not cover the awful yellow...or else too much 'light brown' gave a green hue in certain places!!! Ugh! ALSO....the color did not deposit evenly and I was VERY careful and saturated it thoroughly etc.

Okay, after two orders with them, I've spent close to 100 bucks, so I have no doubt I need to try something else.

So, I know this is very long-winded ~ Any help or clarifications from you is MORE appreciated than you'll ever know.
It's been such a stressful week doing all these strand tests to no avail...if only I had done a strand test to begin with!!

I know that the pure Henna is safe for color treated hair
(wish I had ordered pure henna to begin with)
But - could there still be a weird reaction because of this 'other' henna I've already used?

Also, does anyone have experience with Morrocco Method henna?

Thanks in advance ~ :o

Rhonda

ktani
April 6th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Rhonda

I am not a henna expert but what you used was a henna mix - pure henna would give you red - and it is permanent.

Your mix - is most likely cassia obovata and a bit of henna in there - are the full ingredients not on the box? - they are not on the website last time I checked.

It should wash out mostly and fade on its own. Cassia definitely does wash out - henna can linger in a mix like yours as an orangey tone.

You could try molasses to darken the hair a bit or amla to get more of an ash tone.

Neither of these options are expensive.

Molasses will not necessarily darken your hair too much - you can buy lighter coloured molasses - amla might be the better option.

I now defer to the henna experts.

iris please reply.

EvilPigeon
April 6th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Perhaps you could order some pure henna and cassia if you are going for a blonde shade and do not mind a strawberry blonde. You can order some samples from henna for hair and do a few tests. I hope that helps...

spidermom
April 6th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Marigolds ARE yellow, you know. I am sure that the color will be fading and blending out at least somewhat over the coming weeks. Meanwhile, you might want to make friends with scarves and hats and up-dos to hide the color from yourself, lest you be tempted to nuke it with bleach or something and end up with a mushy mess instead of hair. At least it looks shiny and feels marvelous.

brok3nwings
April 6th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Rhonda i really dont know what to tell but i am sad for you, but i think the best thing to do right now is to let the colour fade, it is possible that with time it goes into a less bright yellow. But i hope that there is some expert to help you out with this...i think you should have posted at the henna and recipes cause the experts ones usually hang around there and should help you out. Just to remind you...dont do anything like puting red henna in your hair or cuting your hair, i am sure there is a solution so hang around someone will help you

Isilme
April 6th, 2008, 01:49 PM
try to do a deep condition treatment, that may pull out some of the colour. And henna doesn't work well with ash? Bull s*t, real henna work with whatever colour you have. Buy some BAQ henna from www.hennaforhair.com or our own hennasoq and look at the mixes section at hennaforhair and do some strand tests.

Celebrian
April 6th, 2008, 01:56 PM
try to do a deep condition treatment, that may pull out some of the colour. And henna doesn't work well with ash? Bull s*t, real henna work with whatever colour you have. Buy some BAQ henna from www.hennaforhair.com or our own hennasoq and look at the mixes section at hennaforhair and do some strand tests.

I agree. Also, just spend a few days shampooing frequently with quite a stripping shampoo (and conditioning well afterwards). That may help. After that, if it's still too bright, I would use a very mild Indigo gloss (say one teaspoon of indigo in a cup of conditioner) and leave it on for no longer than 20 minutes. Strand test it first though. But that should subdue the yellow a bit and make it livable with. You can get the indigo from the website mentioned above (hennaforhair).

iris
April 6th, 2008, 03:22 PM
I'd just wait it out for a few weeks, see if it washes out (probably will, at least to some extent). There's no telling what was in that stuff, but it could have turmeric in it, or rhubarb root, and/or any other kind of yellowing herb - they all wash out over time.

In the mean time, you can use purple/blue old-lady shampoos to tone the yellow down. Those are temporary, wash right out, but are a great help in countering yellow. If you find the lavender shampoo doesn't quite cut it, try leaving it in for five minutes or so. If that is still not enough, you can try a lavender toner. Manic Panic Virgin Snow is a good one. There are others. Look for stuff that will wash out, and that is marketed as toning down brassiness, and/or taking the yellow out of gray hair. You're looking for something with a lavender base.

I would definitely not go over it with 'brown' henna. Brown henna is henna + indigo (if you're lucky). Indigo is blue and washes out for most people, henna is orange (yellow in a low concentration) and is typically more permanent. If you use 'brown' henna, you're likely to end up with a brassy shade in the end (once the indigo fades), which is something you most likely don't want if your natural color is ashy.

It'll be OK. Just be patient, and don't do more henna.

Iris

ShadowSwallow
April 6th, 2008, 03:29 PM
You could also try different herbal rinses to tone down the yellow. Nightshade's article (which I can't find in the articles section, only linked to in her sig) has some recipes/suggestions that are non-permanent, but could help.

TheSpottedCow
April 6th, 2008, 03:35 PM
If I were you I would try to fade it as best as possible. Of course, washing a lot can be drying but maybe you should up your amount of washes and also soak with some conditioner and honey (honey lightens a little, in your case maybe getting rid of the yellow)

Also, purple is the opposite of yellow. There are purple enhancing herbs listed in Nightshades article, and there are also purple toned shampoos for blondes to use. I used them when my hair was dyed, and I didn't find them overly drying. The color enhancing conditioners, though, were a problem.

Don't use henna to dye just yet, as that is permanent.

ETA: the purple shampoos are made for blondes and therefore, don't deposit more purple than necessary to tone down yellowness and brassyness. The herbs/berries on the other hand, might stain more, so be careful with that.

Delilah
April 6th, 2008, 03:41 PM
I would say wait it out, the herb used to make the yellow color may fade a lot. Do you have the box or the ingredients list anywhere?
The purple toned shampoos made for bleached or silver hair may help too. Purple is the opposite of golden.

Rhonda
April 6th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Hello All! Thanks for your input. To those who asked, the henna I used claims it has NOTHING but organic henna in it!

So, misleading, right?

A couple of people (including Catherine) have said I could possibly create a strawberry blonde with the cassia mixed with henna.

So, I'm going to do tests to see what percentage of henna I should use in the cassia...I'm going to start off with 25% henna and see what happens, and then either add less or more, depending.

What do you think of that?

Catherine said any indigo will give me green hair...so, staying away from that.

I really wouldn't mind a strawberry blonde, so looks like I've got my work cut out for me when I get all this stuff in the mail.

Evilpigeon ~ You have THE most gorgeous, dramatic red hair...I LOVE it...wish I had thecourage to carry it off...must look amazing in the sun....What color were you originally?

I think I saw a photo of Nicole Kidman with that exact color in some fashion magazine...but I notice she always ends up going to back to a light strawberry.

Kirin
April 6th, 2008, 05:07 PM
i am a henna head, with currently copper/red hair (flaming too i might add) and yes, henna doesnt come in a variety of colors, just red.

as your waiting for your henna (real stuff) to arrive, try washing your hair with baby shampoo that has a pinch of baking soda mixed in. Its an old remedy to speed up fade out of colors. If your "henna" was yellow, chances are it will fade, so you can help it along.

Rhonda
April 6th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Thank you Kirin! :-)

iris
April 6th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Hello All! Thanks for your input. To those who asked, the henna I used claims it has NOTHING but organic henna in it!

So, misleading, right?

:shrug: A lot of people use 'henna' as meaning 'herbal hair color'. There are also those who are adamant that 'henna' means only 'lawsonia inermis'.

A couple of people (including Catherine) have said I could possibly create a strawberry blonde with the cassia mixed with henna.

So, I'm going to do tests to see what percentage of henna I should use in the cassia...I'm going to start off with 25% henna and see what happens, and then either add less or more, depending.

What do you think of that?
I think you should do careful and elaborate strand tests before doing that. 25% is a LOT of henna and will make you pretty darn red. As others have already mentioned, it's also permanent. I'd be extremely careful before you commit.

Catherine said any indigo will give me green hair...so, staying away from that.

It depends how much indigo you use. It'll give you green hair if you use too much. And indigo is hard to control so you always run the risk of adding to much. But in principle, you can also achieve cooler blond shades with a tiny bit of indigo. It's definitely not true that indigo will give you green hair no matter what - it depends on how you use it.

Just strand test, strand test, strand test before you commit to henna alright? Put samples in your pocket to keep them at body temperature while you're strand testing etc. Be very careful to create exactly the same conditions you'lll have when you take the jump. I don't want to spend the next few weeks having to tell you that sadly, you jumped in to henna too soon without proper testing, and sadly, there's nothing that can be done now to fix it.

Don't go by what MM or Catherine or anyone tells you about henna. See with your own eyes, on your own hair, what you're gonna get, before you do your whole head.

Iris

squiggyflop
April 6th, 2008, 07:06 PM
if you do deside to use henna in your next mix i suggest you mix the paste with lots of conditioner so thats its only a gloss and give you a subtle reddish blonde... with a gloss you can gradually build the color which is great for people who dont want hair as red as mine... (ofcourse my henna is over an auburn base so i need less henna to get a red hue) i say gloss once and see if you want it redder

Rhonda
April 6th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Thansk SO much for your input and encouraging me to be as safe as possible...Yes, great idea, I'll do a gloss first.

How much henna in how much conditioner?

I'll be ordering from www.hennaforhair.com (http://www.hennaforhair.com), and I'm getting samples of the 3 different intensities of henna they offer (plus a full size of cassia)...so, I'll do lots of testing 1st -- My gambling days are definitely over.

I keep hoping I can post pictures of myself on here being VERY happy with the results...so, keep your fingers and toes crossed please! :)

Okay, so I'll do strand tests with the 25% henna 1st.

The reason I came up with that amount is because I figured it would be enough to tranform this awful yellow into something else...I mean, I don't just have a yellow tint or hue...it's saturated yellow...the same shade as the paint used in parking lots to demarcate parking spots!! UGH!

Thanks again ~~~ You know, I'll feel better going to sleep tonight just knowing i have moral support from experienced people...it really helps!!! Thanks you! ~~~~Rhonda

Rain
April 6th, 2008, 09:34 PM
I know this doesn't really help but when I was deciding whether or not to try cassia, I found a picture somewhere of cassia on white hair (I think white mohair). It turned yellow. It is why I decided not to use it. I don't want my whites to turn yellow. I have absolutely no idea if cassia washes out or not or if that was even in your box of Marigold color.

prosperina
April 6th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Not that I think Moroccan henna is so great, but the bleach that you had previously on your head couldn't have helped. Even with pure good henna, bleached hair can alter the results some what. (Or at least this was my experience.) For instance, henna on my golden blond hair that I had been bleaching for, oh, 10 years gave me stubbornly orange hair. No amount of extra hennas would push the color to red, it just kept getting more orange. Most likely your hair reacted in a similar manner to the Moroccan stuff. Bleached hair is really porous and sucks up color, and for me it sort of inhibited the darkening that multiple hennas are supposed to have.

Katze
April 7th, 2008, 05:33 AM
yes, anything sold as 'colored' henna isn't! I would not trust any company that sells 'blonde henna'! :(

you might want to check out www.renaissancehenna.com, www.hennatribe.com and www.hennadancer.com for other suppliers and advice on henna...nice, helpful people, and renaissance henna has before/after pics of henna and henna-indigo.

Sorry this happened to you - I had a similar disaster years ago with health food store 'neutral henna' and had to bleach it out.

Alaia
April 7th, 2008, 07:22 AM
I'm sorry, I have absolutely no advice to offer, not being a henna-head or anything myself but you might find this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=7) article both useful, interesting and informative!

:)

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Rhonda
April 7th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Rain, Prosperina, Katze, Alaia ~

Thanks for the advice and links.

You know that article with all the henna info actually recommends the Morrocco Method I used!
So, I guess it works for some people.

ALSO, the person that wrote that article guessed at what was in the different Morrocco Method blends...she thought that the 'marigold blond' (that I used) was 1/3 henna and 2/3 cassia.

Now, here's my dilemma...More than one person suggested using a small amount of henna combined with cassia,(which I've ordered -it's on the way now), to achieve a strawberry blond (which I'd be happy with)

Well, Am I only going to get more yellow?

Yes, I'm going to do more tests no matter what, but I'll be so upset if it's impossible to transform this yellow into something else.

I mean, will I have to go to a deep red to cover the yellow?

...or will I end up with the issue Prosperina had...where no matter what it stays orange?

I'm really torn!

I know all I can do is some tests and see what happened - I'm just getting really worried that I'll have to cut my hair..and even then, it still won't look good. I don't like short hair on myself at all.

Should I use the lightening treatments (honey/coconut) while I wait for the henna to arrive and then just do tests & go from there ---OR should I stay away from cassia altogether if it has yellow in it.

Also, I used 'neutral' henna several days BEFORE the marigold henna nightmare...and it made no color change on my hair.

I'm assuming the Morrocco Method "neutral" was cassia..but they just called it henna.

Just so confused again!

Rhonda
April 7th, 2008, 12:34 PM
SquiggyFlop ~~ Hi!! Just wanted to say, I'd give anything for your shade of red...wow..wow...wow...in my next life, I hope to have all that gorgeous thick hair.

What is your natural color?

Do you know of any members on here with med. to dark ash blonde hair that achieved a nice red with henna?

Once I get through my 'yellow' nightmare...haha..I'm letting it grow, grow, grow..but even then, it won't be thick...it's very fine.

ktani
April 7th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Rhonda

I do not recommend doing anything drastic.

I suggest trying the blue or violet shampoos iris recommeneded and going by the LHC 2 week rule before going anywhere near a scissors.

That rule is simple - just wait - the shampoo option gives you something to work with while you do your strand tests.

Chances are your hair will fade on its own and the shampoos might help - reread iris's posts - she has other suggestions too.

Nightshade
April 7th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Woah :bigeyes:

First thing, try washing your hair with baby shampoo, and then condition well afterwards, you'll have better luck pulling out some of (what I'm sure iris guessed was turmeric or rhubarb root) the dye. I used to use turmeric in my henna mix, and the resulting yellow never lasted more than two weeks.

Please be very careful with the henna :( It sounds like your hair is very porous from the previous dye, which is why I'm sure it sucked up so much of the MM mix to begin with. You're going to get something similar with the henna, I fear, with a VERY hard time washing it out.

If you're looking to stay ashy, perhaps just a wash-out dye is best? To get a remotely cool tone with henna, you need a lot of buildup, which is not what you want.

Rhonda
April 7th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Thank you Ktani !!

Starting to think I should apply the 'two week' rule to every decision in my life! haha..don't make a move for 2 weeks!

ugh...being an Aries makes me crazy impatient!

ktani
April 7th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Rhonda

You are very welcome.

If it was me - I would start with the blue or violet shampoos to help tone things down while I considered the other iris options.

IMO - they are the easiest and possibly the most gentle route.

Rhonda
April 7th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Thanks for your reply Nightshade ~
(what a pretty user name) -

What confuses me is this: If what what I used was cassia mixed with some henna and then some turmeric, or other yellow horror, thrown in...then how can I get it wash out if it's sealed in with the henna which is permanent?

Maybe I just don't completely understand henna.

I was looking at another interesting thread where ground cinnamon mixed with conditioner was giving people very noticeable lightening...
I wonder if i should try that?

Nightshade
April 7th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Thanks for your reply Nightshade ~
(what a pretty user name) -

What confuses me is this: If what what I used was cassia mixed with some henna and then some turmeric, or other yellow horror, thrown in...then how can I get it wash out if it's sealed in with the henna which is permanent?

Maybe I just don't completely understand henna.

I was looking at another interesting thread where ground cinnamon mixed with conditioner was giving people very noticeable lightening...
I wonder if i should try that?

ROFL you're an Aries, we should just be lucky you haven't done something else yet ;) (I'm a Libra).

It isn't sealed in :) Henna's coating is permeable, the turmeric washed out right through my henna, so I'm sure you'll still see some color change without drastic measures.

For something to try rightthissecond I'd hit it with baby shampoo and then conditioner. If you wanted to try the cinnamon thing, I don't think it could hurt, but you're not trying to lighten your hair, you're trying to remove dye, which are two different things :)

ETA: Than you for the compliment to my username bittersweet nightshade (the plant in the photo in my siggy) is my favorite one :)

prosperina
April 7th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Hi Rhonda. For the record, I now have really nice red hair. So it ended up being okay, and I am happy with my hair color. After using henna, (and still getting orange and more orange) I added a tiny bit of Lush's caca marron with a bit of the brun. That has indigo in it, and it helped push my hair to a darker red. Then over several months I lightened my hair with honey to get a red that I am more happy with. If I already said this in my other post, I'm sorry for repeating myself.

I have naturally medium or dark I'm not sure blond hair. If you can see my profile, there's a pic there, and there's also a pic (same one) in the hooked on henna social group--not sure if you can see that yet.

Rhonda
April 8th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Prosperina!

Hi ~ Thanks for your reply...I love your hair...I wish I could achieve that color red.

Right now, I'm sitting here with a honey and coconut mixture all over my head.

I took amber honey and organic coconut milk (from a can--very thick) and took a little warm water to liquefy the honey first and then mixed it all up.

I had mixed it all in a pie dish, so I took the dish and put it in my tub and took all my clothes off, got in the tub and drenched my hair...then got out and made the biggest mess wrapping my hair with saran wrap and trying to get it all under control.

It was dripping like there was a honey spigot on top of my head...haha

So, there I am, with mountains of cling wrap on my head, naked, with honey drenching me from head to toe, and I'm wondering......
Um, and this was supposed to be sexy in "9 1/2 weeks"???!!!

So, I'm leaving it on as long as I can...we'll see if it can put a dent in this vicious yellow color....Then if that does no good I'll try the cinnamon lightening that someone spoke of on another thread.

Then...I have many samples of henna on the way...I'll use those samples to make henna "glosses" and see if I can bring this yellow to red in a slow way rather than jumping into any major henna-ing...because God knows, , luck is NOT on my side this week!

I'll keep everyone updated on this saga...I really hope I can post some pics of halfway decent hair sometime soon!!

I tried taking photos of this awful color I have now, to post here, but the photos make my hair look completely normal believe it or not!

It's as if my digital camera is having sympathy for me, is in complete denial, and won't show me what it really looks like...OR MAYBE this hideous color is not even recognized as a possibility in the digital color fields!! aghhhh!!!

Rhonda
April 8th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Hi Nightshade!

Yeah...it's miracle I don't have a whole rainbow of color on my head already! haha

Yes, I'm very impatient...if I had done a damn strand-test to begin with, I wouldn't be in this mess...But I just posted my whole game plan..so, read it and tell me what you think!

I'm definitely taking all the advice to get as much of it out as humanly possible before adding any other color to my hair..and doing glosses instead of going nuts.

I appreciate your help immensely!

ktani
April 8th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Rhonda

When you are done rising the honey lightening treatment out - try a weak vinegar rinse afterward if you are not going to wash and condition your hair, which is another option.

The vinegar rinse recipe is 1 tsp of your preferred vinegar to 24 oz of water, left on the hair 30-60 seconds and rinsed out.

It or shampooing can help remove any residue - honey can leave a residue - from the hair.

Rhonda
April 8th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Yes...good idea...I'm going get in a bath and wash it all out...then use vinegar (apple cider) and then condition it see what happens.

The honey/coconut has been in about 3 hours now...wonder how much longer I should leave it?:rolleyes:

ktani
April 8th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Rhonda

The minimum time is an hour - so you should be fine any time now.

intothemist1999
April 8th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Ugh, I know how you feel!

Many years ago (before the benefit of the internet) I went along with my hair-dye junky brother and we decided to do a blond home job! I had used henna on my hair at some time prior to that.

For no reason I can give I didn't do a test stand (I ALWAYS do a test strand!!) Well, the blond bits WERE kinda cool! The rest was TURQOISE!! :shocked:

Well I flipped and ran down to the only salon in the area open that day and they were all in a flap over the condition of the hair. The best they were willing to do was to put the old Clairol vegetable colour on it (don't think they make that any more) and said I really should go see a colour expert. At that point my hair was at least a UNIFORM colour, but was a weird brownish colour with a distinct green hue. Like something you'd find floating on the ocean!

I was able to find a place downtown and ALOT OF MONEY later I came out with a very respectable dark brown colour (my natural colour). I was impressed that he could do anything with it! Downside was that if the light hit it just right, all the highlights were still green :(

A LONG time after I thought it had grown out, I was teaching a piano lesson under flourescents, and the little girl stared and said slowly, "do you know you have green haaaaair?" DANG!! That was the last straw and the second (and last) big chop of my life. I had ALL the coloured bits removed.

That's when people started coming up to me and saying, "oh, you must LOVE it short, it's so much easier to care for!" Uh....NO! It was ALOT more work!

I hope you can get some resolution! I really feel for ya!

Rhonda
April 8th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Thanks for your story ~ Sorry you went through that.

Right now, I'm doing all I can to remove it or lighten it...we'll see - Posted my game plan on this thread.

How is your hair now? Long again, I hope! :o

prosperina
April 8th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Yeah, I always feel really silly with cling wrap on my head. :) But you're doing the right thing. It's good to try to lighten before you attempt anything else, and you might like your hair after you're done honeying it. ;)

Rhonda
April 9th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Well, I left the honey/coconut mixture on for over 5 hours and it didn't even put a dent in this awful yellow. It did seem to dry my hair a bit, but I don't see any lightening or any less yellow.

So, just trying to think of what to do next...soooooo fed up with my hair!

I live in New England and another long winter is finally ending...just REALLY wanting to get this hair thing overwith and enjoy my life...can't leave the house without a hat! Ugh!

So, I'm waiting on samples of henna...will do tests and then maybe glosses to see if I can turn it to a shade of red instead.

I really feel like this awful yellow is here for goood until it grown out....or covered with a darker color.

Well, that's all.

prosperina
April 9th, 2008, 09:53 PM
While you're waiting for your henna, if you're not opposed to lemon juice on your head, you can do conditioner plus lemon juice treatments. I've never done it, but it's supposed to work. Errr....at least it does something to henna, maybe not for funny yellow... I don't know. :shrug:

iris
April 9th, 2008, 10:44 PM
I really feel like this awful yellow is here for goood until it grown out....or covered with a darker color.
Um, it's been four days? :lol:

I'd give it at least a month to wash out, if you wash frequently (every day or every other day). If you wash once a week, it'll take longer - more like a couple of months.

Have you tried the blue shampoo people were recommending? That should at least take the edge off.

I think henna is more likely to give you a shade of orange, especially in a gloss and especially over yellow hair. I'd concentrate on letting the yellow fade out.

Iris

brok3nwings
April 10th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Rhonda you should wait a bit more before you change your colour permenantly, do you want to be a redhead? You should really think about it. About the colour you STILL have in your hair it will fade eventually but for that you really have to be pacient...wash your hair with cleansing shampoos and moisturize a lot then. I used for that propose (of taking some colour out) the Redken cleansing cream, use it everyday and moisturise everyday and a MONTH later (not 4 days) you will have a colour change. If you are willing to try henna have in mind that yellow plus red goes into ORANGE. You should probably try with indigo to make a cooler colour, with indigo you will have red colour but not orange...i dont know...but keep us posted. I really hope that everything goes right, and it will go you know why? Because your hair is healthy and thats the main thing to have a nice hair. Now you just have to work your your colour with natural colours OR you could go to a hairdresser (if the colour dont go away and if you DONT want to be a redhead) and you ask for a TONER just to cool down the yellow, believe me, it will work. And it wont damage your hair that much! The toners are not permanent colours, they go away with time (luckly with your yellow colour also) and they dont have the terrible things that permanent colours have. A TONER cant make your hair lighter, it can change the colour you have by giving you another , in this case, BLUE. There are a lot of people that goes into a TONER just because they want a bit of a shine, and difrent reflexes on their hair. BLONDES normally have to do TONERS to avoid yellow and orange tones in their hair and make a more ashy tone. I dont know, think about it

ktani
April 10th, 2008, 08:30 AM
brok3nwings

I had a disasterous result with Redken Cleansing Cream years ago - my hair strands "shredded like a lettuce" even with conditioning afterward - my hair was extremely dry and broken and split.

However - that was with a formula no doubt L'Oreal has since changed.

I do not know about the current product - the old one was to be used infrequently and had sls in it as the main cleanser.

I used it too much and it took months to get my hair to recover.

brok3nwings
April 10th, 2008, 10:02 AM
ktani you are right it isnt supposed to be used frequently, its like baking soda, just when you really have to "clean" your hair. But it sure helps to remove colour from hair...(of course only if the colour is at the surfice of the hair). But you may be right about damaging the hair, i havent experienced that, but my hair is not long and it is not a fine hair so maybe that helps. To remove colour from hair you have to clean it really well more frequently otherwise it will take ages (again, if it is a removable colour at all). The other solution is to change the colour...and again, in my experience, a toner did not damage my hair at all, so it is something to consider (with that solution it wouldnt be necessary to use those strong products).
Ktani, im sorry that it damaged your hair, it is really anoying when some homeuse product like a shampoo can damage your hair isnt it? Bah..

ktani
April 10th, 2008, 01:08 PM
brok3nwings

My hair did recover - eventually, thank you for the empathy.

It was my fault - I did not realize just how strong the product was or what it was doing to my hair until it was too late.

I also did not know as much about ingredients and what they can do as I do now - and I am still learning.

I think with non permanent colour - which in this case is mostly what we are talking about, that it will fade on its own with washing, regardless of which shampoo is used.

The blue or lavender shampoos, or the toners you and others have suggested, should help with the colour that is left, IMO.

brok3nwings
April 10th, 2008, 02:06 PM
ktani, the shampoos help when the brassiness is not that strong, in this case it seams to be a strong yellow so i dont really think that the blue shampoos will change that much .. (well it doesnt do that much for me! Although it is a safe way of trying...) So i would try a non permanent colour made in a hairdresser that is specialized in blonde colours (she would pay more but it is worth it) to find the correct colour that would really tone down that yellow. I think that Rhonda´s hair catched so much yellow because it has been highlighted AND because it is blonde! My hair grab the toners and never goes away completly... (although the diference between the roots and the colour is not that evident, only i can see it because i know my hair) so that could be a good thing to solve the problem , because if it did go away too quickly it wouldnt make that much difference, and as the non permanent colour goes away so the yellow colour should fade...I just think that if someone dont really want to change their hair colour that should be something to consider...Afterall these problem is because Rhonda tried to make a nicer blonde or am i wrong? Well i think that she wont probably be able to do it with henna or other natural herbs but probably she will be able to do it with a non permanent hair chemical. And the truth is chemical is not the best for your hair BUT if it isnt permanent, if it isnt lightening...it would be ok, afterall there are many Long Hair PPL around here that dye their hair. AND, important...non permanent is good to solve this problems because you can only do it once and then let the hair grow having no problems with roots and so on...

brok3nwings
April 10th, 2008, 02:07 PM
ups, sorry , ktani this wasnt specificly for you!! ;P i just started and then...well...i dont know what i said ihihi

ktani
April 10th, 2008, 02:16 PM
brok3nwings

LOL, no worries!