PDA

View Full Version : gelatin powder for hair growth/hair health

pdy2kn6
March 27th, 2009, 08:01 AM
I have been reading alot of the vitamin articles on here about how people have been taking gelatin powder for hair growth, does anyone have any info on this? how does it work and change the linear growth rate? do you buy it from pharmacys or is it actually baught in the food areas of big supermarkets? has any one noticed success to their growth/hair in general since taking it?

RavennaNight
March 27th, 2009, 08:09 AM
From what I understand Gelatin can be found in the Jello section of the grocery store, I guess with cake mixes and icings. Supposedly it is good for healthy strong nails. Knox Gelatin is one product i am aware of. Just a side note: if you are vegan or observe religious doctrines about pork, gelatin may not be right for you.

MsBubbles
March 27th, 2009, 08:11 AM
I got mine at walmart. I sprinkled a whole package into yogurt the first time I tried it and my stomach felt like it was gonna explode! So I now only do one teaspoon at a time, which is what people here recommended anyway. (D'oh!).

Anje
March 27th, 2009, 08:35 AM
I picked up a container of Knox gelatin a while ago, but haven't used it regularly enough to tell. Look for an orange cylindrical container (maybe 6 inches tall, 4 inches in diameter) by the Jello. (Your choice if you want that brand, of course, but if you locate that one, you'll find any other large containers of gelatin nearby.)

And just an echo on RavennaNight's comment about vegetarians and gelatin -- it's made by processing collagen, and tends to contain a mixture of beef and pork products. (Though I have heard of kosher gelatin, which is presumably just beef.)

Forever_Sophie
March 27th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Do you have to sprinkle it into food (i.e. yogurt), or will a serving of Jello have the same effect? TIA!!

Aisha25
March 27th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Kosher gelatine is very hard to come by I know here it is impossible. The only way I find it is in little Debbie snack foods and twinkies:D

pdy2kn6
March 27th, 2009, 09:06 AM
is it fattening? as it like eating a sweet? or is it just like a tasteless powder you can mix in with things like yoghurt? im not much of a sweet fan anymore tbh. is there a certain amount (mg) you buy? i dont think i would have them exact brands as im in australia not usa

Yedda
March 27th, 2009, 09:45 AM
I got mine at walmart. I sprinkled a whole package into yogurt the first time I tried it and my stomach felt like it was gonna explode! So I now only do one teaspoon at a time, which is what people here recommended anyway. (D'oh!).

Yes, I found it right next to the Jello and I haven't been using it regularly either to tell any results. I also put a whole packet in my small Activia yogurt and I couldn't eat the yogurt it was so powdery. I think I'm going to have to either get a bigger yogurt brand or use even less than a teaspoon at a time.:confused:

RancheroTheBee
March 27th, 2009, 11:42 AM
In my local grocery store, I actually found them in pill form. You might want to ask your pharmacist if they carry it like that.

ratgirldjh
March 27th, 2009, 11:46 AM
when i was in high school - gelatin for hair and nail growth was all the rage. friends of mine (i never tried it) would buy packages of plain gelatin and mix it up with water and drink it! i'm sure that flavored would work too. i have to say that these girls had very long hair and fingernails! i never tried it because i was a tom boy and i thought my hair and nails grew too fast already - LOL

DragonLady
March 27th, 2009, 02:32 PM
I try to take gelatin everyday. I buy the unflavored "Knox" variety, and dissolve a teaspoon of the powder into a teaspoon of instant meat broth.

It takes at least three full months of everyday use to see any benefits. For me, the benefits have been thicker individual hair shafts. When I first came here, the majority of my strands were very fine, and fly-away. If I held them up to the light, I could see through them. The longest ones on my back were almost invisible in photographs.

After about four months of consistently taking gelatin, I noticed that I now have many, many more "normal", cotton-y strands that are much stronger and don't disappear when I look at them from different angles or in stronger light.

Yesterday I was doing S&D, and actually finding "crunch" hair strands. Not protein-damage crunchy, but strong crunchy. They made a "pop" sound when I cut them. They made me curious, and I pulled my hair into a ponytail and measured it -3 3/4". I don't have any more strands. But those strands are definitely thicker.

Since I've been here, I've gone from 1a, f, i/ii to 1a, f/m, ii. And I honestly think that as my older, finer hairs shed out, newer medium ones may grow in to replace them -giving me the best hair I could ask for (1a, m, iii).

Your mileage may vary, of course. But if you try it, you need to take it every single day for at least three months. It takes that long to start noticing any change at all, and even then it may not seem like much. But for me it's really added up to make me very happy with the texture changes.

SimplyLonghair
March 27th, 2009, 02:57 PM
is it fattening? as it like eating a sweet? or is it just like a tasteless powder you can mix in with things like yoghurt? im not much of a sweet fan anymore tbh. is there a certain amount (mg) you buy? i dont think i would have them exact brands as im in australia not usa
I am taking it in capsules that I make up from the powder. I just started, but the research that I did said that it needed the 3 months to work too. I am excited about it. I am looking for a larger package though as both DD and I are taking it.:D

It is tasteless but I prefer pills for ease. Not the kind with added sugar. Talk to your local chemists? Drug store? They might have it in pill form there.

eresh
March 27th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Well, don't put it in your hair ;)
A friend of my had to put gelatin in her hair regularly, she was in the Dutch synchronised swimming team, with gelatin, their hair would stay perfectly even underwater upside down etc.
But it was a pain to wash out, and after years her hair got in very fragile condition (but that is also from the chlorine in the pools I'm sure)

IndigoInk
March 27th, 2009, 07:17 PM
I bought some the other day but I haven't started taking it yet. I was thinking of putting it in smoothies? Does anyone else do that? I never thought about a pill form, but really I hate pills and already take several supplements a day, I think I would rather do gelatin in the powder form.

Flaxen
March 27th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Remember, hair only grows on average about 1/2 inch per month, so in three to four months, a person's hair will only have grown 1 1/2 - 2 inches, 3 inches for super growers, and the ends of the hair cannot possibly be affected by gelatin (or any other eaten thing) in that amount of time. Nutrition does not go down the shaft of the hair, so only the area in the vicinity of the roots will be different, if the food has any affect at all. :flower:

We would all do better eating lean meat protein or legume protein. Gelatin really is quite a poor source of protein, despite reports of thicker nails and hair over the years. :frog:

pdy2kn6
March 28th, 2009, 12:16 AM
i tried looking for some today, i went in two pharmacys and they looked at me like i was a wierdo when i asked if they sold gelatin powder. one man said, try the food sweet isle at the food shop, but then i described to him how it can be used as a source of wellbeing for your body. I couldnt find any unflavored powder in the food supermarket. Is the unflavored type usually sold in pharmacys? is the reason reports have indicated increase in hair growth and nail growth because of the gelatin having protein in it? I didn't know it was the protein which is the key ingredient, i just thought it was full of vitamins??

Heavenly Locks
March 28th, 2009, 12:22 AM
This is the unflavored packet type that I use :) Mainly I use it for cooking things like pies and what not...but if I was going to use it for hair growth...I would pick this kind -

http://www.plantea.com/knox-gelatin.gif

It's either in the baking aisle or in the jello dessert aisle.

DragonLady
March 28th, 2009, 12:49 AM
I think it's supposed to contain the amino acids most often found in hair?

hennaphile
March 28th, 2009, 02:05 AM
i have a bottle from NowFoods on my counter. i tried putting it in juice, and the texture was so gross i couldn't do it... i may do capsules.

my mom swears by it. her hair was pretty trashed, now it's nice. but that could also be from using cone conditioner that she got from the hairstylist.

hwo knows, worth a try!

I may need perscription chocolate pudding pies though!:cheese:

Serenity_Peace
March 28th, 2009, 06:33 AM
I've been taking the Solgar brand capsules. You can find them in Vitamin Shoppe, Whole Foods, or just about anywhere. I just take one a day. This is the best picture I could find:

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/images/catalog/skus/s_sl-1160.gif

MsBubbles
May 28th, 2009, 08:42 PM
I have been reading alot of the vitamin articles on here about how people have been taking gelatin powder for hair growth, does anyone have any info on this? how does it work and change the linear growth rate? do you buy it from pharmacys or is it actually baught in the food areas of big supermarkets? has any one noticed success to their growth/hair in general since taking it?

Any news or developments regarding the gelatin? After reading some things in other threads about it, I'm going to try to take it regularly from now on. I can use all the help I can get and this one seems pretty easy to do. I wonder if there is any advantage to taking it in pill form over powder form, other than it's more easily dispensable and you can carry it with you?

Fairlight63
May 28th, 2009, 08:50 PM
I tried taking the gelatin powder for a while, but for some reason I just forgot to take it. It is also kind of gross to take.

I think that the pills would be easier to take, just another pill to put in with the others to take.

Has anyone had results from taking gelatin?

DragonLady
May 28th, 2009, 11:05 PM
I wouldn't try mixing the undissolved powder into anything. I think the texture would just be disgusting. I add it to chicken or beef bouillon and drink it hot.

redneckprincess
May 29th, 2009, 05:18 AM
I just take gelatin pills, I never heard of the powder, unless you mean the food jello

baobhan sith
May 29th, 2009, 05:38 AM
I just have a strawberry jelly cube each day :)
I prefer the texture before it's made up anyway, so that's good for me. Its just thicker and chewier.

free_hug
July 29th, 2009, 04:13 AM
Dears, i'd like to bring the gelatin issue back a bit.

First of all: anyone who can confirm hair/nail benefits after a couple of months?
Well, in fact i'm considering starting it, and nail improvements can be seen fast enough so i'll be able to report this much in a couple of weeks, but i'd still love to hear (read) other peoples experience.

Second: a normal small pack of gelatin powder comes in a 10 gram (0.35 oz) pack here. How much do you people take? What do you suggest, should i take a pack, or half a pack a day?

Thanks for all answers :)

Dementia1013
July 29th, 2009, 04:43 AM
So is it the ground up bones that make it grow faster? perhaps there is just a suppliment out there for the same effect.

Norai
July 31st, 2009, 12:03 AM
I've found that it works best texturally if it's soaked in a cool/room temp liquid for 5-10 minutes and then heated up - I've been dumping a packet in a cup of juice to hydrate it, then microwaving it until it's hot, then the grainy texture disappears (just like making jello, but without cooling it down). You can still taste it a teeny bit, but it's drinkable.

I'll have to try it in tea or coffee one of these times :) broth sounds good also.

As for whether or not it works, I have no idea... I don't do it regularly and also take a bunch of supplements, so dunno.

Eireann
November 29th, 2010, 02:14 PM
I found this thread because I remember hearing long ago (before LHC) that gelatin is good for hair and nail. I'm trying to lose a little weight, and have been making snacks of plain gelatin flavored with herb tea. I decided to check with LHC if there is a side benefit for my hair. If I can keep this up for a few months, I'll let you know if it had any effect (on weight loss OR hair!) :eyebrows:

aenflex
November 29th, 2010, 02:15 PM
It's protein right? Pretty much? I used the knox gelatine and had no luck, but my hair hates proteins. I hate knowing it's from horse hooves :)

Eireann
November 29th, 2010, 02:22 PM
It's protein right? Pretty much? I used the knox gelatine and had no luck, but my hair hates proteins. I hate knowing it's from horse hooves :)

Hmmm. ..the horse hooves thing is a little freaky, but as I do eat meat and wear leather, I guess I can't complain too much. I'm mostly eating it for diet purposes. In a previous diet incarnation I used to eat the sugar-free jello because it's very filling but lo-cal. I no longer want to eat artificial sweeteners, and since I have a ton of lemongrass in my garden, I decided to make lemongrass jello (unsweetened). Anyway, I guess I'll just wait and see. I'm not sure I can keep it up for 3 months, though. :)

jojo
November 29th, 2010, 03:36 PM
I prefer a juicy steak or a roasted chicken for my protein and it probably does more than gelatine!:yumm:

littlenvy
November 29th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Gelatin is not just protein, its the closest form of intake keratin.
And yes it does come from hooves and cartlidge and hard skin.
You can buy as a suppliment in little capsules that are easy to take. And they are very cheap too.

I took some for about 3 weeks (didn't notice any benefits but it was a very short time).
There was one side effect thou.
I SMELLED!! :poot:
And I mean smelled!
I usually don't sweat much, and when I do its usually odorless. After two weeks of gelatin I started to smell funny. And it got worse and worse day by day. And when I worked out and get sweaty I would down right stink!!

So I stopped taking the stuff and I was back to normal within 3 days.

But I do use gelatin as my protein treatment on my hair and it works just fine. :)

Eireann
November 30th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Gelatin is not just protein, its the closest form of intake keratin.
And yes it does come from hooves and cartlidge and hard skin.
You can buy as a suppliment in little capsules that are easy to take. And they are very cheap too.

I took some for about 3 weeks (didn't notice any benefits but it was a very short time).
There was one side effect thou.
I SMELLED!! :poot:
And I mean smelled!
I usually don't sweat much, and when I do its usually odorless. After two weeks of gelatin I started to smell funny. And it got worse and worse day by day. And when I worked out and get sweaty I would down right stink!!

So I stopped taking the stuff and I was back to normal within 3 days.

But I do use gelatin as my protein treatment on my hair and it works just fine. :)

Yikes! I'll have to pay attention to that. That would NOT be good, as I've switched to a "natural" deodorant, that probably wouldn't be up to the challenge!! :(

pixistixx
November 30th, 2010, 05:10 PM
wow! good to know, I was going to start eating more of that, but... maybe not! I was taking B6 a while back and that made me stink really bad, like skunk/ teenage boy's armpit bad lol.

jacqueline101
December 14th, 2012, 12:30 PM
I've thought about trying this. I do remember girls buying it for their hair. One summer years ago my friend did and swore that's why her hair grew fast.

AutumnLocks
December 14th, 2012, 06:33 PM
It makes sense that gelatin would aide hair growth. It may totally gross you out but gelatin comes from cooking beef bones. It is usually found in the jello section of the grocery store. You could actually make a much tastier, and healthier version at home. Just go to the meat department of your supermarket and ask the butcher for some nice big beef bones. The knee joint works best. Then take it home and throw it in a big pot with lots of cold water and some onion, carrot, celery and a bit of garlic if you like it. Add some sea salt and put it on to cook. Bring it up to a boil and then simmer it for, and this is the weird part, simmer it for 12 hours or so. You want to cook it long enough that it will release the gelatin into the water. When you finish cooking it remove the bones and veggies and strain it through cheesecloth or a fine mesh sieve. Refrigerate it and when you are ready to have some heat it up and just drink it or use it to make some yummy soup or stew. Bone broth like this is loaded with all kinds of good stuff! Hope this helps......;)