PDA

View Full Version : MSM and gas.

hurricane_gia
March 21st, 2009, 08:58 PM
I've been taking MSM off and on for a month now and I can't help but notice that it is giving me some seriously stinky farts. :(

Normally, I'm not a farty person, but the first time I took MSM, I had stinky farts all day. The next day, they were worse, third day, worse again, and on the fourth day I had terrible heartburn. So I stopped taking it and the farting went away. Just to be sure it was the MSM causing the gas, I tried it again and the same thing happened.

I still wanted the hair-growth benefits, and I thought perhaps my system would adjust and I'd stop having gas after a couple of weeks. So I tried taking it only at night, or taking it was a lot of water, or taking it after a meal. But I'm still having trouble.

Does anyone else having this effect from MSM? Would a lower dose be better? Is there some other supplement I could take with the MSM that would make life easier?

RavennaNight
March 21st, 2009, 09:58 PM
:poot: Well I guess I know what I won't be trying! :rollin: :)

nicolezoie
March 21st, 2009, 10:14 PM
Yes, and my poor poor husband had to tolerate them.. once or twice the dog just LOOKED at me.

In my case, so long as I kept up the same dosage of MSM (3000 mg), my body got used to it and the stench went away. It took about a week for me, but then my body needs that stuff so I guess it just absorbed it more efficiently.

LittleOrca
March 21st, 2009, 10:37 PM
I never had this problem when I took my MSM.

Debra83
March 21st, 2009, 10:38 PM
I never had that problem with MSM either. Maybe try switching brands? Sometimes the fillers are the problem.

Odile
March 21st, 2009, 10:52 PM
MSM is an organosulfur compound, which means it contains sulfur (which is part of why farts stink), so it doesn't surprise me that it may make extra-stinky tootin' :poot:

You just might be more sensitive to this than other people, and it might take time to adjust to it and it will go away like nicolezoie's did. But I would've thought two weeks is long enough to get used to taking something. Changing brands might also help. Maybe charcoal capsules, but I don't know that they would absorb the extra sulfur that much.

Feye
March 22nd, 2009, 04:39 AM
I had these nice things happening to me when I took MSM in tablet form. It made me feel a bit suspicious so I put the tablet in a glass of water. It is supposed to dissolve into nothing, but left in my glass was a big pile of white something.

I threw it out and bought MSM in powder form instead and the problems disappeared! It has never happened again.
I think that impurities in the tablet caused this.

Heidi_234
March 22nd, 2009, 09:17 AM
Well the sulfur factor sounds more like it but -
I read that when you start taking MSM it detoxifies your body, all the the nasty stuff that's been building up inside. So at the beginning one might experience 'adverse' reactions. I'm not keen on the details, what, how, which, when, I'm just throwing a point there. Maybe this happens because of the detox effect (so it's actually a good thing that you experience it). You should research it online, read few sources, how it works, what it does and so on, you'd get a much clearer idea about it.
I also remember reading that MSM is as toxic as water (ie, barely toxic!), so if it indeed the detox happening, then lowering the dosage in order to make it stop might make it just too little to be affective. If it's the sulfur content, then you should consider lowering your daily intake. It might be the brand, like Feye said, maybe another brand of MSM won't have that affect on you.
Just an idea (I don't take it myself, so I wouldn't know).

AmyJorgensen
March 22nd, 2009, 09:38 AM
and what is MSM?

HairyCarrie
March 22nd, 2009, 09:59 AM
oh... and for me I just thought it was old age! :gabigrin:

But I'm still taking my MSM supplement for the rest of the year as it seems to be helping my hair growth some. Not excessively, but better than the typically known amount of .5 inch a month. I did gain another 1/4 inch in the past week, so I'm sticking to it for now.

FallenAngel
March 22nd, 2009, 11:02 AM
and what is MSM?

Glad you asked. I don't know what it is either. :D

SmellyJelly
March 22nd, 2009, 11:12 AM
I took MSM a while back, I can't remember the doseage though. I think MSM contains sulfur, which is quite a smelly substance so I guess thats why. I did notice my hair grew well while taking MSM. Smelly farts or fast hair growth :p ?

Sophie x

hurricane_gia
March 22nd, 2009, 11:17 AM
The MSM I have is from GNC. Usually, GNC has a good reputation, so I wouldn't have expected a lot of filler and junk in the capsules. But I will try dissolving it in water.

Does the MSM powder have a taste? And those of you who aren't having problems, what brand are you taking?

Feye
March 22nd, 2009, 11:40 AM
MSM is methylsulfonylmethane, and the reason that many take it here is that it is supposed to lengthen the growth cycle of the hair strands (perhaps by quicker growth)
I have personally not noticed much difference in my hair, but my body likes MSM, it seems to function better in many ways when I take it.

The taste of the powder is bitter and sour at the same time. It can be dissolved in water.

The brand that I'm using is msmse.com, but it's Swedish so it's probably not of any help to most members here. I'm adding the information anyway in case someone will find the link useful.

Feye
March 22nd, 2009, 11:42 AM
I'd also like to add that it is supposed to cleanse the body from within and remove toxins that have built up in the cells.

Speckla
March 22nd, 2009, 12:11 PM
I'd also like to add that it is supposed to cleanse the body from within and remove toxins that have built up in the cells.

Wouldn't that explain the really bad gas? Cheesy fart? :cheese::poot::cheese:

BlackfootHair
March 22nd, 2009, 12:23 PM
We are SO mature here. :D haha

When I was taking three 1000mg capsules a day I noticed MAJOR BLOATING. There were times I felt like I was going to explode!! I didn't like that feeling so I reduced it to one capsule a day and I was fine. I don't like walking around feeling like I'm going to explode unless I let out a gigantic rolling fart. It's just not comfortable. lol :D

Heidi_234
March 25th, 2009, 12:22 PM
We are SO mature here. :D haha

When I was taking three 1000mg capsules a day I noticed MAJOR BLOATING. There were times I felt like I was going to explode!! I didn't like that feeling so I reduced it to one capsule a day and I was fine. I don't like walking around feeling like I'm going to explode unless I let out a gigantic rolling fart. It's just not comfortable. lol :D
lol another reason not to choose to be born a woman! Learning that women fart too is the last step (age 18?) towards complete lost of innocence and entering adulthood for guys, previous steps, among many others, include discovering that santa isn't real (age 7?). :D
:poot: aren't fun!

Islandgrrl
March 25th, 2009, 12:26 PM
The MSM I have is from GNC. Usually, GNC has a good reputation, so I wouldn't have expected a lot of filler and junk in the capsules. But I will try dissolving it in water.

Does the MSM powder have a taste? And those of you who aren't having problems, what brand are you taking?

This is the same one that I use. I don't have the problem with it, though. Seriously, I don't know what it's actually done for my hair, but in conjunction with Glucosamine and Chondroitin it's done insanely good stuff for my hips. Adding in the MSM made ALL the difference.

Heidi_234
March 25th, 2009, 12:29 PM
This is the same one that I use. I don't have the problem with it, though. Seriously, I don't know what it's actually done for my hair, but in conjunction with Glucosamine and Chondroitin it's done insanely good stuff for my hips. Adding in the MSM made ALL the difference.
I think MSM is good for the joints, that's why it helped you so.

dulce-de-leche
March 25th, 2009, 12:34 PM
I am so glad you brought that up because I usually eat alot of beans and that'll do it and for a while I cut back and I was still :poot: so maybe this is my problem.
I never put 2 and 2 together.

BlackfootHair
March 25th, 2009, 12:53 PM
lol another reason not to choose to be born a woman! Learning that women fart too is the last step (age 18?) towards complete lost of innocence and entering adulthood for guys, previous steps, among many others, include discovering that santa isn't real (age 7?). :D
:poot: aren't fun!

I worked with a lady a while ago who said her and her husband NEVER farted around eachother because they wouldn't be able to look at eachother the same way. I guess it was a huge embarrassment when she accidentally farted when she was prego.

I can't help but fart it up in my sleep. Sometimes they wake me up. My boyfriend tells me I am really gassing it up some nights. lol

aries
March 25th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Oh my!!! What a way for me to get back at my family lol. I've been wanting to try msm for years but have stayed away due to hearing possible side effects, didn't know about this one heh.

What is the dosage for a person on msm? Should you take it with vitamins that already have it in them? Is the GNC pill a good pill or is powder the recommended? I want to see if this works for hair growth on myself now that I have my growth cycle down.

Unofficial_Rose
March 25th, 2009, 01:00 PM
I take 3 tabs of MSM a day to stop getting stiff in the joints after exercising. Haven't noticed extra fartiness!

Could this be why you called yourself Hurricane_Gia? :poot:

Melisande
March 25th, 2009, 02:01 PM
MSM and Celadrin have done wonders for my health. No gas attacks around here, fortunately. I would continue to take them nevertheless :-)

hurricane_gia
March 27th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Could this be why you called yourself Hurricane_Gia? :poot:

Ha! I keel you! :p

oneKnight
March 28th, 2009, 04:33 AM
Some people have problems with sulfur and or need to detox. You can help both by taking epsom salt baths, because epsom salts are magnesium sulfate. Your body absorbs the minerals and detoxes at the same time.

It's supposed to help kids with ADHD actually. If you have serious problems you can only tolerate like a tabelspoon of epsom salt per bath, but "normal" people can use up to 2 cups per bath.

Do some googling on the topic. I'm sure there were some EXCELLENT detox and epsom salt bath thread on LHC "back in the day" but my info and memory is dated back to those days as well, lol so do a little research yourself. Good thing is you really can't hurt yourself by taking an epsom salt bath. hehehe

Epsom salt baths are not good in your hair, the minerals cause some seriously gunky build up so keep the hair out of the bathwater or plan to wash it soon afterward. You don't want to shower immediately after the bath though. I usually soak/bathe at night and wake up next morning to shower off the hair before being seen in public.

oneKnight
March 28th, 2009, 04:42 AM
I had these nice things happening to me when I took MSM in tablet form. It made me feel a bit suspicious so I put the tablet in a glass of water. It is supposed to dissolve into nothing, but left in my glass was a big pile of white something.

I threw it out and bought MSM in powder form instead and the problems disappeared! It has never happened again.
I think that impurities in the tablet caused this.
Sulfur is technically insoluble in water. Epsom salts are magnesium sulfate heptahydrate and these are sulfate ions, not regular elemental sulfur.

I immagine what you bought was a poorly absorbable form of elemental sulfur, instead of the sulfate ion which is soluble. Or it could have been anything else used as a filler and listed in the "inactive ingredients"

Interestingly enough Hyrdogen sulfide is what we smell in farts and rotten eggs, and also can be found in concentrations up to 90% in natural gas. I have a strong nose for this and can smell it almost anytime I pass a gas meter. Sometimes I think my great-great-grand relative might have been a bomb dog or something ;)

Schmoomunitions
March 29th, 2009, 12:09 PM
The dog was even staring at you! HAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHa

Supermodelsonya
March 29th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Yes...another unforunate side effect of MSM. I stopped taking very recently because I couldnt stand the headaches. They weren't normal headaches...they stopped and started....and at the worse times. Aspirin did NOTHING...NADA!

talullah
March 29th, 2009, 05:20 PM
I haven't had this issue with MSM, but I'm a vegetarian whose diet is based on beans and whole grains, so my body's pretty used to foods that would give most people gas. MSM does give me crazy dreams, though! I can't take it at night.

Shandra
March 29th, 2009, 10:50 PM
I've noticed if I keep my MSM consumption down to 1 1000mg pill in the morning, and the 500mg in my UltraNourishHair at night, I don't have the gas problems... if I up it more than that, I get headaches and gas....