PDA

View Full Version : Emergen-C for hair rinse????

ratgirldjh
March 9th, 2009, 08:36 PM
this may be the wrong place for this post - i didn't think it was herbal hair care or conventional - so mods please move it if it needs to be moved :)

anyway - last year i was doing WO washes and occasionally using lime juice. when i ran out of limes and wanted to do an acid rinse i thought about using Emergen-C powdered drink mix after i had read the ingredients.

Vitamin C
Thiamin
Riboflavin
Niacin
Vitamin B6
Pantothenic Acid
Phosphorus
Magnesium
Magnesium carbonate
Zinc
Manganese
Chromium
Sodium (as sodium bicarbonate and sodium phosphate)
Potassium (as potassium bicarbonate)
alpha lipoic acid
quercetin

fructose, citric acid, raspberry juice powder, malic acid, tapioca maltodextrin, vegetable juice color, natural flavor, tantaric acid, silica, caramel color, glycine, aspartic acid, and cysteine hydrocloride.

anyway - i used it as a rinse - 1 package in a liter of water - then rinsed afterwards with cold water.

it made my hair look and feel WONDERFUL - SHINY AND SMOOTH and soft all the way to the ends, no tangles, just very nice. i also tried it after using a poo bar - same results.

i did it several times and then got paranoid that all these minerals were building up on my hair.

SO for you chemistry people out there - do you think it is safe to put Emergen-C powder as a rinse out rinse on your hair?

do you think the minerals will build up? i do poo bar washes mostly. will the minerals build up so much that i won't be able to get them off???

what do you think?
has anyone else tried this???

catfish
March 9th, 2009, 09:30 PM
I have not tried this and don't know if buildup would be a problem but it sure does sound cool.:D Convenient travel size too.

tabitie
March 9th, 2009, 09:41 PM
I'm a newbie on this board who first tried a vinegar rinse (2:1 water to white vinegar) and was amazed how shiny it made my hair.

From reading ktani's and others' comments on ph, it seems that any kind of acid rinse, like amla, diluted vinegar, vitamin C, lemon... will make hair shiny.

What a discovery!

ratgirldjh
March 10th, 2009, 11:25 AM
well it does work great - but i just can seem to use it without worrying about all the minerals and vitamins building up on my hair

i have used it about 6 times in the past and each time my hair got shinier and softer
it would be very nice if someone could tell me if these minerals would build up on my hair over time - and if it would be a problem that would require chelation or something equally harsh

so i am holding off as of now in using it - but i loved the idea for travel too

Katze
March 10th, 2009, 12:10 PM
I would be worried about the cost! Certainly just putting some C powder and some of the other ingredients into a rinse would be cheaper.

Vitamins and such are really expensive here, and Emergen-C is something I have to import, so that affects how I think about it...still, if it makes your hair feel nice, why not?

Anje
March 10th, 2009, 12:18 PM
I wouldn't be too worried about the minerals building up, and vitamin C is a chelator, if I recall correctly. I would definitely rinse it out, since the sugar (fructose) might make things sticky, but it also could be acting as a humectant for you.

I agree with Katze -- you might get similar results for a better price with just a regular vitamin C (and perhaps a bit of sugar) in water, and using that the same way. You'll also bypass the minerals.

ratgirldjh
March 10th, 2009, 12:19 PM
well i take it daily anyway - so i always have it on hand. vitacost has it for like 6 dollars/US for a box of 36
so cost isn't too prohibitive for me
i may try it anyway - since no one has told me i shouldn't ;)
it does make it so shiny and soft that it is hard to resist using it
and vitamins and minerals should be good for your hair - right???

Silver Strands
March 10th, 2009, 12:28 PM
I don't think it will hurt anything.
I also don't think those are the minerals you have to worry about building up in your hair.
More like calcium, iron, heavy metals.

I've used Fruit Fresh on mine and it worked real well.
I have never found citric acid sold in stores.

Maybe just crushing a vitamin C tablet would work just as well.

Isn't it crazy how many things people on here have tried on their hair that wasn't intended for hair?

ratgirldjh
March 10th, 2009, 12:53 PM
yes it is crazy - LOL
funny how many of them actually work well too ;)
i've thought about buying that citric acid and salt stuff at the convenience store (lime beer salt)
but since i already have and use the emergen-c - i like being able to use things for my body and hair too
i am all about multi-use products :)
so far i am down to: poo bar, VCO, ACV and chandan powder
and i also use my poo bar to wash my chihuahua and my rattie!

ratgirldjh
July 25th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Update!!!
I am still amazed when I do this rinse!

I just tried it again when my hair was looking kind of 'off' and again it has worked miracles!!!

just wanted to bump this thread in case any newbies want to try it :D

BTW - I mix one packet into 32 ounces of water and pour through wet hair.
Then rinse!
Voila!
super shiny, soft all the way to the ends hair!!!

Cherry_Sprinkle
July 25th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Hmm, I am tempted... I've never drank the stuff but I am tempted to give it a go on my hair ;)

terriej
July 25th, 2009, 09:13 PM
This is probably the vitamin C. You know they have those vitamin C shower head filters and vitamin C tablets you can put in your bath. It's supposed to neutralize the chlorine, I believe, and I have heard it makes your hair super soft.

liz08
September 23rd, 2009, 07:58 AM
I can't see how it would be harmful for your hair. I think I would agree that these aren't the types of minerals you'd need to worry about as far as buildup is concerned. I'm not expert on the chemistry of this stuff though. Maybe you could use it occasionally. If you're not using it daily you won't have to worry as much. But I love Emergen-C and always keep it on hand during cold and flu season (works great!), but have never thought about using it as a rinse. Just might have to give it a try.

ademtce
September 23rd, 2009, 08:32 AM
From reading ktani's and others' comments on ph, it seems that any kind of acid rinse, like amla, diluted vinegar, vitamin C, lemon... will make hair shiny.

What a discovery!

pH Balance is essential to hair that shines.
the best products to use on your hair are pH balance (usually about 7 on the scale)

if your worried about mineral build up a company called Malibu Wellness makes treatment packs & shampoo to remove mineral build up
they're wonderful products and completely SLS free.

Gothic Lolita
September 23rd, 2009, 08:36 AM
I think it's the C that makes your hair shiny. It's a chelator and if you're having hard water, it might remove some buildup from your hair you're getting while you're rinsing your hair out.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think I've read somewhere, that zinc and other minerals in water can buildup and add strange colors to the roots. I'll go and search if I can find that again.

Sia
September 23rd, 2009, 08:57 AM
Hi.
Just to 'clarify' here (pun intended): It was mentioned in the initial post as a substitute for a WO/lime juice wash. So, is this rinse intended as a wash in itself or as a post-wash rinse?

Gothic Lolita
September 23rd, 2009, 09:26 AM
I think it's used as a post wash rinse, like ACV rinses, to make the cuticle smoother. WO users sometimes rinse their hair with some ingredients to have the benefits of thinkgs like ACV, catnip....

HairJunky
July 16th, 2010, 02:29 PM
I came across some Emergen-C in my cabinet, and was wondring if I could use it in my hair. So i googled it, and came across this discussion. So great! I tried this last night and loved it. I usually can't go without using conditioner, but i chose not to use it last night so i could totally see the effects of the Emergen-C. My hair is shiny and smooth today! Thanks :)

HairJunky
July 16th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Loved this so much that I just posted about it on my blog! Check it out, i think you guys will love it. It's called *name removed*, and is devoted to everything hair. *link removed*

Sissy
July 16th, 2010, 05:04 PM
I was given a few packets of Emergen-C from a co-worker and I tried it but YUCK, I didn't like it. Perhaps I should also try it on my hair as a rinse!

glossyshine
July 17th, 2010, 08:31 PM
I just bought a large bottle of pure vitamin C crystals (cheap!) because I need high doses every day, and coincidentally, I'm swimming more and worried about using UltraSwim shampoo several times a week.

Would vitamin C work as an after swim cleanser? I'd be so excited if it would!

HairJunky
July 22nd, 2010, 03:54 PM
Go to *Link removed* for some after-swim tips that i posted today!

StressedTresses
January 18th, 2011, 01:52 PM
I'm late chiming in on this, but I am going to try this tonight! Any updates? Anyone using it consistently?

jenwexler
January 18th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Have you guys noticed anymore changes after using this rinse for a while?

ratgirldjh
January 31st, 2011, 06:03 PM
I actually stopped using this rinse because I ran out of Emergen-C and since I am diabetic I stopped buying it because the fructose and maltodextrin were raising my blood sugar.

But it did work really well for me and I used it both for a cleansing rinse (no poo bar) and also for an after poo bar rinse.

I may have to buy some of this just for my hair!!! Wonder what it will do to henna?

Anyone actually try this?

Oh and what gave me the idea is that it has baking soda and citric acid in it as well as vitamin C and I had been trying baking soda and ACV with horrible results and so thought wonder what this would do... LOL

Another thing - my hair pretty much hates Amla rinses which have a lot of vitamin C in them - so I doubt it is the vitamin C but I'm unsure... and we do have hard water here...
djh

TiaKitty
February 2nd, 2011, 08:35 AM
I've got a bunch and I'll give it a try and report back. How much did you use, one or two packets, to how much water? We don't have chlorine to neutralize, so I'll just be getting the results from the C and other vitamins...

Rocket22
February 2nd, 2011, 12:57 PM
I have a bunch too and I'll try just about anything that has great reviews! :)

TiaKitty
February 3rd, 2011, 02:38 AM
Okay, I gave it a try tonight, after just a condition only on the ends and then a rinse with a packet in a pitcher of cool water. It seemed okay, but nothing super-dooper happened. Nothing better than a typical cool water rinse, really...

polette
February 4th, 2011, 08:25 AM
This seems worth a try... I think I have some generic stuff around here that tasted like poo that I would love to get rid of :D
Someone mentioned crushing Vitamin C tabs and dissolving them for a rinse, has anyone done that?? I have like a mega ton of vitamin C, more then I can take (or remember to take) would it work well to crush one or two, and add it to my ACV rinse?

GrowingGlory
March 20th, 2011, 09:28 PM
EmergenC is also available in sugar-free form for those of you who are concerned about blood sugar or sticky hair. It tastes fine, too.

HintOfMint
March 22nd, 2011, 12:18 AM
Oh dear, another thing for me to try...

christine1989
March 22nd, 2011, 01:31 AM
Oh dear, another thing for me to try...

I'm going to have to try this too! I have a whole box of the stuff laying around and I don't like to drink it.

Yozhik
March 22nd, 2011, 02:32 AM
:hmm: I missed this thread before, but it definitely sounds interesting! My dad gave us a bunch of Emergen-C packets this winter, so I will definitely try this out!

Thanks for the tip. :flower:

HintOfMint
March 27th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Just tried it and my hair is drying as we speak. I may not have diluted enough, I certainly did not use a liter of water to dissolve it. I had perhaps more tangles than I usually do, but when it's dry, I'll see how I'm doing on shine.

Note to self: get the raspberry or lemon one, the tangerine one smells gross.

ratgirldjh
September 7th, 2011, 07:44 PM
I still do this sometimes when I remember to buy it. I think that it works best for me when I do it in a WO routine. So people in WO who are looking for something to try when your hair is feeling yucky... this might be it!!!

swearnsue
September 7th, 2011, 09:53 PM
I actually stopped using this rinse because I ran out of Emergen-C and since I am diabetic I stopped buying it because the fructose and maltodextrin were raising my blood sugar.

But it did work really well for me and I used it both for a cleansing rinse (no poo bar) and also for an after poo bar rinse.

I may have to buy some of this just for my hair!!! Wonder what it will do to henna?

Anyone actually try this?

Oh and what gave me the idea is that it has baking soda and citric acid in it as well as vitamin C and I had been trying baking soda and ACV with horrible results and so thought wonder what this would do... LOL

Another thing - my hair pretty much hates Amla rinses which have a lot of vitamin C in them - so I doubt it is the vitamin C but I'm unsure... and we do have hard water here...
djh

In the instructions in Light Mountain Henna it says to use Crystal Light Lemonade mix as a rinse to REMOVE henna color if you don't like the color. Otherwise henna is pretty much permanant. Just letting you know if Crystal Light has some of the same ingredients as Emergen-C, you may lose some of your henna color!

Lilelfen1
December 11th, 2013, 12:34 PM
What an intriguing idea!!!!