View Full Version : Long hair = strength

jera
March 9th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Do you believe long hair = strength? What type of strength, physical, spiritual? Or both? Folkore and myths are okay.

I definitely believe long hair = strength. First, it requires good overall health to grow hair long and that usually equals physical strength in my expereince. Illness saps the life out of the body to the point where the first things to go are healthy hair and fingernails which a "sick" body feels it does not need. Frequently sick people have "sick hair", and in some cultures ( as in India ) health can be determined by studying the health of the hair shaft.

And remember reading stories or seeing movies where the heroine gets a raging fever and has to have her ultra long hair cut off? That's actually true. In the nineteenth century people did that all the time because all women had long hair back then. :)

Of course, there is spiritual strength where despite illness people hold on to their hair, if not their physical well being. I don't know how they do this. :o

And consider native American shamans and Celtic druids who wore their hair long and boasted all sorts of metaphysical powers and strengths. ;) Awesome.

Debra83
March 9th, 2009, 03:00 PM
There was an Israelite named Sampson who was dedicated as a child to God, whose strength was from his hair, and when it was cut off he became weak and was taken prisoner. He grew it long again, and was able to knock down the pillars of the place he was being held captive. The feats of his strength are all documented though.

LittleOrca
March 9th, 2009, 03:02 PM
In a book I read called The Mermaid Summer, the mermaid's long hair is the source of her magical powers. Only when she is caught and her hair held hostage in the hands of some kids with scissors does she behave and stop the sea storms.

She also had a lovely jade comb. *want*

s_tresses
March 9th, 2009, 03:07 PM
yup i most definitely think long hair = strength. Physical health reflects on hair and skin and if you dont have the physical strength to get up everyday comb it and take care of it then you wouldn't have good hair anyway. Spiritual strength because it takes a lot of patience and belief that your hair would grow long and maintain health with adequate care. ALso, accepting the idea that long hair is beautiful and should be sustained.

Pixna
March 9th, 2009, 03:10 PM
I do think to a large degree that hair health = general physical well-being. I wouldn't say that's necessarily a rule, but probably true for the most part.

I believe that long, healthy hair imparts a greater strength of spirit and a stronger sense of self -- perhaps because it makes me feel more attractive, more feminine, more "whole." Unfortunately, since The Massacre, I've got quite a way to go to get back to that point, but with every new centimeter of growth, I do feel stronger in all of those ways.

MemSahib
March 9th, 2009, 03:33 PM
In today's culture it demonstrates the strength of will to go against the crowds, if not another thing. ;)

TyagoN
March 9th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Yes. I'd have to agree with the idea of longer hair being a sign of strength in many ways. Of course, I think most people here would think that, right?

Heidi_234
March 9th, 2009, 04:10 PM
I read the title and automatically thought "Oh yeah!". I always felt like long hair empowers it's owner. Long hair, in the right proportions make people look so much taller, and bigger.
Personally, I think long hair strengthens my self esteem, and that's real power. :)

LittleOrca
March 9th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Personally, I think long hair strengthens my self esteem, and that's real power. :)

I feel the same way, Heidi. I sometimes hate to put my hair up for the day because part of me feels less secure. It is as though my hair is a protective shield and I feel better and more confident when it's down. When it's up, my secure feeling is reduced. However, that is alright because I think in some small way I am learning to be more secure without that shield when I am in buns or other updos.

JamieLeigh
March 9th, 2009, 05:07 PM
I don't know how much I actually believe of the folklore concerning long hair and strength...but personally, I know that I love how I feel when my hair is long. I feel more beautiful, and I guess, more strong as a woman when I'm happy with my appearance. :)

squiggyflop
March 9th, 2009, 05:09 PM
hmm so does that mean ive got spiritual strength?.. because im far from healthy and i still have long hair.. but my hair isnt that long.. it does grow sort of fast usually.. but it doesnt grow at my genetic maximum speed (2-3 inches per month) unless i take alot of vitamins..

i think it increases my confidance in social situations.. but im not sure about what you all mean by strength

Arctic_Mama
March 9th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Though some of the strongest people I know have shorter hair, I will say that for ME, long hair makes me feel powerful, sexy, and strong all at once. I feel very vulnerable and not very feminine with short hair, and since my hair is arguably my most attractive physical trait I gain a lot of personal and social power from it.

I also love the mythological strength of hair, especially Biblical. Samson rocks ;)

Juneii
March 9th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Long hair means beauty to me, I feel beautiful with long hair and that makes me more confident in myself. It also means strength in perseverance and spirit. Growing long hair is really time consuming and frustrating.
But when I think of physical strength I think of short hair because I feel that I hide behind my long hair instead of standing beside it. Long hair also seems a bit weak to me, when I think of long hair I think of all the horrible scenarios that could happen, one of them including getting my hair pulled on. If anyone grabs my hair I'm pretty much at their mercy.

MadPirateBippy
March 9th, 2009, 05:36 PM
In today's culture it demonstrates the strength of will to go against the crowds, if not another thing. ;)

Exactly- to me it's the strength to do what you like and be who you want to be in the face of cultural norms that say that's not OK.

The strength to be who you really are is no small thing.

ilovelonghair
March 9th, 2009, 05:51 PM
I definitely believe long hair = strength. First, it requires good overall health to grow hair long and that usually equals physical strength in my expereince. Illness saps the life out of the body to the point where the first things to go are healthy hair and fingernails which a "sick" body feels it does not need. Frequently sick people have "sick hair".

'Sick hair' that is so true, my hair has improved a lot in the last year and so has my health a bit. Hair is a direct reflection of health. Not necesairily long hair, because some people cut it short, but healthy glossy hair tells about someone's health. I never have very glossy hair, not sure if that's naturally that way or if my health is interferring with it.

I think that's the reason why humans can grow their hair long, there must be a biological reason for that. Both men and women can do so, if it was only for protection of the sun, hair could also just stop growing at a shorter length. And maybe it goes even a step further: in the time people were living in caves long hair would have been harder to maintain, so maybe it was a sign of wealth, strength and health.

And remember reading stories or seeing movies where the heroine gets a raging fever and has to have her ultra long hair cut off? That's actually true. In the nineteenth century people did that all the time because all women had long hair back then. :)

My great grandmother had to cut her hair off due to headaches. I always imagined her with knee-lenght hair or so, but she 'only' had about hip lenght, or maybe even shorter. People in my family don't have ultra thick hair, so I wonder if it really could have caused headaches for her.

DragonLady
March 9th, 2009, 06:03 PM
I think that's the reason why humans can grow their hair long, there must be a biological reason for that. Both men and women can do so, if it was only for protection of the sun, hair could also just stop growing at a shorter length. And maybe it goes even a step further: in the time people were living in caves long hair would have been harder to maintain, so maybe it was a sign of wealth, strength and health.

I believe it may have told potential mates how healthy they were, since you can't hide the effects of ill-health. So a person with hip-length, healthy, glossy hair was showing/proving they were healthy, and had been healthy for the last several years.

EdG
March 9th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Do you believe long hair = strength? What type of strength, physical, spiritual? Or both? Yes, long hair indicates strength of will, a triumph of mind over matter! :thumbsup:

Long hair is the opposite of the instant-everything in today's world.
Ed

BranwenWolf
March 9th, 2009, 07:55 PM
I think long hair means being strong in what you are and how you feel about yourself, because some people get so rude about hair comments.
I've gotten remarks that I have a strong personality and seem very secure in myself. Not sure if it's the hair though!

I especially love it when I see long silver or silver-streaked hair. It's like "screw short hair for old people!" There was one professor at the community college with a snowy white tailbone-length braid flying behind her on her bicycle, and she also happened to be a really cool person.

sn0w
March 9th, 2009, 07:59 PM
To me long hair requires strength in a physical sense

Especially to braid your own hair once its past waist requires a bit of arm strength and endurance to finish a neat braid with out pulling it in front to finish.

lizzyjo
March 9th, 2009, 08:01 PM
I have had short, spiky hair, and currently I have nearly waist-length hair. I have to say that I felt like a tough, strong chick with the short hair, and I feel more feminine with long hair. Both hair lengths go against the norm and make me feel stronger through being different. However, I felt more masculine, and therefore more strong, with short hair.

While I loved showing off my tough side, I now enjoy embracing my feminine side. I hope there are more of you who feel the same way!

Feline
March 9th, 2009, 08:30 PM
In the Bible, Samson wore his hair long because he was a Nazirite, consecrated to God from birth, and as a sign of this, his hair was not to be cut. When Delilah cut his hair, his vows were finally broken and he lost his strength and was blinded and enslaved. Over time, both his faith and his hair grew back, and this is how he was able to pull down the temple building and destroy it. His hair wasn't so much the cause of his strength, but rather a sign of his dedication to God, who was the source of his strength. Likewise, Druids and other holy persons don't derive their abilities from their long hair, their hair is a symbol of their dedication.

devs12
March 9th, 2009, 11:20 PM
I have had short, spiky hair, and currently I have nearly waist-length hair. I have to say that I felt like a tough, strong chick with the short hair, and I feel more feminine with long hair. Both hair lengths go against the norm and make me feel stronger through being different. However, I felt more masculine, and therefore more strong, with short hair.

While I loved showing off my tough side, I now enjoy embracing my feminine side. I hope there are more of you who feel the same way!
:cheese: even i feel pixie gave me more confidence , right now i m growing it back just for a change and would go back to pixie once i reach bsl..;)

Robbi Dehlinger
March 9th, 2009, 11:34 PM
HMMMM?

I feel stronger and more confident as a woman with longer hair?

I also see feminity as requiring strength to go "against the grain" of much current thought that says femme=week?

All the women of my great gradma's gneration (Maternal) had long hair and you can tell by looking at them that they were IN CONTROL and you did n't give em any guff!!

:)

jera
March 10th, 2009, 01:23 AM
In the Bible, Samson wore his hair long because he was a Nazirite, consecrated to God from birth, and as a sign of this, his hair was not to be cut. When Delilah cut his hair, his vows were finally broken and he lost his strength and was blinded and enslaved. Over time, both his faith and his hair grew back, and this is how he was able to pull down the temple building and destroy it. His hair wasn't so much the cause of his strength, but rather a sign of his dedication to God, who was the source of his strength. Likewise, Druids and other holy persons don't derive their abilities from their long hair, their hair is a symbol of their dedication.

Fundamentalty, I agree with this. Spiritual people do have longer stronger healthier hair. I've never known if this is because they believe they have a closer relationship to what they perceive as the devine, or if it stems from an inner strength. :confused:

Pegasus Marsters
March 10th, 2009, 01:29 AM
My physical health sucks ass... but I have shiny healthy hair and long nails. I kinda ruin this theory. :lol:

The only thing long hair demonstrates, IMO, is the ability to avoid scissors for significant lengths of time. :silly:

Aditi
March 10th, 2009, 01:35 AM
in some cultures ( as in India ) health can be determined by studying the health of the hair shaft.

I totally agree with you on this statement jera. In my country a girl having long hair is said as having good health and beauty.

RancheroTheBee
March 10th, 2009, 01:39 AM
Fundamentalty, I agree with this. Spiritual people do have longer stronger healthier hair. I've never known if this is because they believe they have a closer relationship to what they perceive as the devine, or if it stems from an inner strength. :confused:

I think it's because a lot of religions encourage their followers to have longer hair, i.e.: The passage in Corinthians. What was it? "If a woman is to have long hair, it be a glory to her," or something along those lines.

In any case, I don't thing long hair necessarily comes with the territory of being spiritual. I know a lot of atheists and non-spiritual people who have very long, healthy hair, and many people who ascribe to a particular faith devoutly and cannot take care of their hair worth anything.

chelssix
March 10th, 2009, 01:44 AM
I think that long hair can denote strength, if the person wearing it feels strong.
For me, it's a way of accepting myself, as I am. I love fab hair in general, long, short, and any length in between. But shorter styles really don't look quite right on me, because of bone structure/hair type/etc. I like the way long hair looks on me, because that's how I look without spending hours styling it before leaving the house. I feel stronger for accepting me.
Even though it can make me feel more feminine at times, this doesn't make me feel weaker, because I feel like I'm strong on the inside, and that's something that gender sterotypes can't touch.

ilovelonghair
March 10th, 2009, 04:59 AM
Pegasus Marsters I love that red color of your hair! Is that henna or natural?

sandigirl
March 10th, 2009, 07:06 AM
I agree with most of what everyone else has already said. I think long hair IS strength. It takes a certain personality to wear it well.
Short-hair just fades into the woodwork. It doesn't hold my attention. Short hair would just be plain and lazy for me.
If you've ever had the short hair dream (nightmare) then you know what I'm saying, too. I have woken up very upset that someone cut my hair in my dream and am relieved when I realize reality.

pdy2kn6
March 10th, 2009, 07:30 AM
really interesting thread....i had never thought about the sick thing, perhaps their is a spiritual power to it, for example the sick man not needing his hair. I believe it is strength of character to go beyond whats defined as normal, and after thinking about what you said, yeah it definately does indicate aspects of strength as for healthy hair one needs to be healthy and strong themselves.

twilight
March 10th, 2009, 07:32 AM
love this! i have done some informal research on the topic because i'm weird like that and it's come up before... [found the link!!] i'll quote myself in an email to a friend from 2007:

i've been thinking about this a lot, partly because i just think about hair a lot, and partly b/c of how i'm feeling today... [DH] has said many times that i was "different" when my hair was long, and i can't really argue with that...

check this out:

(from the power of hair (http://www.geocities.com/davidjayjordan/Powerofhair.html))
To again connect up science and religion with the most high-tech creation ever designed the "Human Body' (SEE Made in His Image), let’s check out why human hair has Power. Science tells us that it has no nerve endings which is why when we cut it, there is no pain. Yet it isn't exactly dead, as with all the Lord's creation it is composed of electrons, motions and vibrations. For similarly if you have seen a few science experiments, you might remember the standard one where a person gains static electricity and his hair stands on end, giving you the Albert Einstein look. So obviously just as it absorbs odors, it also is an electrical conductor and hence could be a receiver. And so because it can receive electromagnetic waves ((especially certain frequencies used by the Lord to get us up to the 33rd level (See Absolute 33 and the Frequency connection between spirit and flesh or its octaves)) then we might think twice about cutting it too often or too short. So maybe this may be a reason why women, seem to make better receptors than men, whether for good or for bad.

Yet man and his cultures seem to want to especially keep women in their place by making sure they cover their hair. . 1Corinthians11:6 For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.

They literally are afraid of the power it emits or the power it can receive. ...They even went as far as to accuse those with long hair of being witches.
Besides, if hair is a
receptor of the Lord's frequencies or helps in reception,
the more you have, the clearer the reception might be.
Of course, the Lord can get through any interference or
even through a bald-headed one like Elias, but isn't it
amazing that women are seemingly more receptive to
dreams and visions, than it seems men are. I know I am
out cold, when I sleep and hardly ever get a significant or
spiritual dream whereas women seem to be better able to
hear or see from the Lord at night and other times.

So could, it be partially due to the power of their hair?

(/end web quote)

i know i have definitely cut my hair to get rid of "bad energy" that was hanging around in it... so why shouldn't it also act as a receptacle for good energy/power? it certainly feels like it does.

and a link; this one is a little crazy, but fun: http://www.crystalinks.com/hair.html

Pegasus Marsters
March 10th, 2009, 07:35 AM
Pegasus Marsters I love that red color of your hair! Is that henna or natural?

Neither. My hair colour is, unfortunately, chemical. It's the easiest way to achieve the colour I want. I'd love to do henna but I just can't cope with the weight of it on my head for that much time, it makes my head and neck hurt! The colour I use is Red Passion by Schwarzkopf Live XXL.

LaurelSpring
March 10th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Good Thread. I was just thinking about this the other day. For me, short hair makes me feel whatever the female version for emasculated would be. There does seem to definately be something about it but its hard to really pin down. For some reason I feel sorry for someone who gets their hair cut. I always give the obligatory... it looks nice... but inside Im thinking awww too bad. On the other hand there is something inside me that always wants to be the person with the longest hair.

intothemist1999
March 10th, 2009, 09:03 PM
In today's culture it demonstrates the strength of will to go against the crowds

That's what I was going to post, too!

I read on TLHC that the length of the hair is like rings on a tree, and different places along the length will represent different stages of one's life. I really liked that way of thinking about it. I don't know if it represents a "strength", but I *do* find it rather mystical. I think a strength could be found in the "intention" one makes of it.

MariaAZ
March 10th, 2009, 09:17 PM
I think this thread shows that the "strength" aspect is a very personal thing. I have had extremely short hair and felt very strong and feminine, depending on how I wanted to feel that day. It's the same thing for me with long hair; depending on my mood, I can feel feminine or not feminine. I recently had DH (who has longer hair than I) give me a "big snip", taking my below BSL up about 4 inches. I am in what I think is pretty darned good health and have realized that my terminal length is somewhere between BSL and waist. I will never be able to have "Rapunzel-length" hair, but I seriously doubt it's because of health :)

intothemist1999
March 10th, 2009, 09:57 PM
I think this thread shows that the "strength" aspect is a very personal thing. I have had extremely short hair and felt very strong and feminine, depending on how I wanted to feel that day. It's the same thing for me with long hair; depending on my mood, I can feel feminine or not feminine.

Good points!

I never feel "feminine", but when I had very short hair, I definitely felt more "tough". I don't think I was, but I kind of "felt" it.

LadyEliza
March 11th, 2009, 12:15 AM
I believe this is true as well.

Of course, strength to stay out of hair dressing salons is a must! :)

jera
March 11th, 2009, 01:33 AM
My physical health sucks ass... but I have shiny healthy hair and long nails. I kinda ruin this theory. :lol:

The only thing long hair demonstrates, IMO, is the ability to avoid scissors for significant lengths of time. :silly:

I'm sorry to hear your health is poor, :( but perhaps you have spiritual strength. That's why I included spiritual strength to the list of strengths. Though I've only known a couple of people with chronic health problems who had healthy hair, it does happen. That's what made me wonder if these people had a spiritual awareness that most of us do not have, perhaps because of their illness?

ilovelonghair
March 11th, 2009, 03:40 AM
Neither. My hair colour is, unfortunately, chemical. It's the easiest way to achieve the colour I want. I'd love to do henna but I just can't cope with the weight of it on my head for that much time, it makes my head and neck hurt! The colour I use is Red Passion by Schwarzkopf Live XXL.

It is very hard to achieve such a red color, I'm still trying! And colors always fade for me, no matter what color I put in, even black used to fade!

noelgirl
March 11th, 2009, 07:15 AM
I feel most uniquely myself with long hair, so for me it represents a strength of defiance. I feel like more of a doormat with shorter hair, like I've already compromised this one thing, I may as well roll over and take whatever else. When my hair is how I like it, I feel like my outside reflects the inside more accurately and I'm more fully the person I imagine myself to be.

Robbi Dehlinger
March 13th, 2009, 12:16 AM
I feel most uniquely myself with long hair, so for me it represents a strength of defiance. I feel like more of a doormat with shorter hair, like I've already compromised this one thing, I may as well roll over and take whatever else. When my hair is how I like it, I feel like my outside reflects the inside more accurately and I'm more fully the person I imagine myself to be.

Short hair makes you feel like a doormat?? Now THAT is one I have not seen nor felt??

How are you????

:D

Pegasus Marsters
March 13th, 2009, 12:21 AM
I'm sorry to hear your health is poor, :( but perhaps you have spiritual strength. That's why I included spiritual strength to the list of strengths. Though I've only known a couple of people with chronic health problems who had healthy hair, it does happen. That's what made me wonder if these people had a spiritual awareness that most of us do not have, perhaps because of their illness?
I'm an agnostic, verging on atheist. So I don't buy that theory either. ;);)

It is very hard to achieve such a red color, I'm still trying! And colors always fade for me, no matter what color I put in, even black used to fade!

Yeah, I've never found a colour I liked as much as this and it really doesn't fade that badly. :)

Feline
March 13th, 2009, 05:25 PM

Personally, I feel my long hair is a symbol more of independence, from fickle fashion's dictates, family tastes (or at least my mother's) , hairdressers, and so on. Very long hair is still considered to be outside the norm, and if you wear it this way, you will not have the same sort of societal approval that the currently fashionable hairstyles receive. You may get nice remarks on a regular basis, but you will likely also get nasty ones. Someone with a "normal" hairstyle will not have this happen. You have to be able to stand on your own if you wear your hair very long.

Sissy
March 13th, 2009, 09:27 PM
for me long hair represents physical and spiritual strength.

Sissy
March 13th, 2009, 09:33 PM
love this! i have done some informal research on the topic because i'm weird like that and it's come up before... [found the link!!] i'll quote myself in an email to a friend from 2007:

and a link; this one is a little crazy, but fun: http://www.crystalinks.com/hair.html

Thanks for the link. I like it. Very neat. It was interesting to read about Aquarius and such.

Pixna
March 14th, 2009, 08:33 AM

What a TERRIFIC and fun link! Thanks for posting it, Twilight!

Feline
March 14th, 2009, 01:16 PM
What a TERRIFIC and fun link! Thanks for posting it, Twilight!

Agreed! Yeah, a little crazy, but fun and thought-provoking.

rockkcor
March 14th, 2009, 01:21 PM
‘Strength’ of long hair…

Sure it is – and all about long hair is in the personality!

Years and years of growing, patience commitment!

People with long hair are different and special!

‘Strength’ – yes! Just a way to describe longhaired people!

jera
March 14th, 2009, 02:32 PM
‘Strength’ of long hair…

Sure it is – and all about long hair is in the personality!

Years and years of growing, patience commitment!

People with long hair are different and special!

‘Strength’ – yes! Just a way to describe longhaired people!

Those are excellent definitions.

Honestwitness
March 14th, 2009, 03:23 PM
I'm a newbie on this forum and I'm already totally addicted to it. I can't stop reading and exploring for more reading material. This is a wonderful site.

I have worn my hair very short for most of my adult life. However, because I'm very independent, I've always cut it myself. I am never satisfied with what hair professionals do to me. It's always been very easy for me to keep a short haircut looking good, because I can trim it whenever I want to.

The older I've gotten (I'm now 59), the more difficult it has become to cut the back of my head. It has always required a precarious balancing act on the bathroom sink and several mirrors. I got tired of all that effort.

Another thing that happened is that I started to have a full crop of very fine, blond facial hair on each side of my lower jaw, in front of my ears. This looks really dorky to me. When I had short hair, I always felt I had to clipper this facial hair, too. It became a challenge to keep up with this persistent "old-lady beard."

And the final clincher for me was the sagging of my neck muscles and the lines (wrinkles) under my jaw. It became obvious that the easiest solution to each of these problems would be to cover them with my hair.

So, for me, my hair is my strength, because it is a cloaking device that hides the less attractive parts of my appearance.

However, it does take a certain resolve to wear my hair this way. I always wanted it short in order to be successful in my professional life. I'm an administrative assistant (a.k.a. secretary), and have always wanted to avoid the stereotype of the weak, defenseless, invisible "servant" to the male executives.

Now that my hair is longer, I'm definitely feeling more feminine. However, I'm still wearing my pantsuits to work every day, so I can be taken seriously. But it does allow a facet of my personality that has been repressed for a long time to blossom out. I feel more like a "hippie" now.

There is another reason I'm growing my hair long, too, and that is to add a dimension of "power" to my prayer life. For some reason, I do think of Sampson and the passage in Corinthians about long hair, as it relates to a spiritual aspect of my life. I see a parallel between my determination to wait patiently while my hair grows and my determination to keep praying for several situations and people that are very important in my life.

Thank you for letting me share.

Honestwitness

gdimoonbeam
March 14th, 2009, 06:59 PM
I once had a Psychiatrist tell me long haired people are shy, have low self esteem and are not confident so they use long hair to hide behind literally and figuratively. LOL. If I'm so shy why do I have such a conversation starter growing on me!
We get every thing from quick sideways glances from people that want don't want us to know they are looking to strangers that walk right up to speak with us.

tsenglish@ns.sy
March 14th, 2009, 07:17 PM
I don't equate a person's hair with strength, either physical or spiritual. I am the same person I was 2 years ago when my hair was near waist, as last year when I had it cut to shoulders, as today with it at bsl. Some of the very strongest women I have met in my lifetime have had no hair, having had it taken from then in cancer treatments. Hair is just that...hair. It reflects your personal taste & style, but it doesn't speak of your character or strength. You are who you are with short, long, or no hair. Imo.

Feline
March 14th, 2009, 10:56 PM
I once had a Psychiatrist tell me long haired people are shy, have low self esteem and are not confident so they use long hair to hide behind literally and figuratively. LOL. If I'm so shy why do I have such a conversation starter growing on me!
We get every thing from quick sideways glances from people that want don't want us to know they are looking to strangers that walk right up to speak with us.

Something I read somewhere (can't quite remember where- dang!) equated long hair with a veil. I think the idea was that long hair can serve to hide a woman's face, like a veil. I don't think I buy this idea, since most of us make a good amount of effort to keep our hair out of our faces, but it's still an interesting idea, symbolically speaking.

DragonLady
March 14th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Originally Posted by gdimoonbeam

I hate that particular bit of psychobabble. :mad: :( It was the direct cause of several of my foster parents cutting my hair off. It was the cause of school nurses telling my parents to make me cut my hair whether I wanted to, or not. They didn't teach me to comb it right or put it up or hold it back, but they sure were happy to let it be swept into the trash whenever it got long enough to cover my eyes. :(