PDA

View Full Version : My 16 month old Daughter

mrsamandajordan
March 4th, 2009, 06:08 AM
I want to give my daughter the best hair that I can while I am responsible for her hair. I want her to feel like her hair is beautiful and that she should want to let it grow. So, here is my question. I have noticed that the baby washes they make just are not very nice to her hair. I know that I can wash her hair without getting anything in her eyes that would cause her pain but what should I use for her? The baby wash just makes it SO dry and frizzy. Is she to young to use conditioner on? I just don't know but I know I have to find something else for her. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

patissegrietje
March 4th, 2009, 06:14 AM
Is it absolutely necessary to use shampoo on a baby? Baby shampoo is never good on hair because it is not designed to create beautiful hair, it is made to be easy on the eyes...

I don't have any children myself, but i know one of my friends uses WO on her children, both of her daughters (5 and 8) have beautiful hair!

mrsamandajordan
March 4th, 2009, 06:40 AM
No, I guess I don't HAVE to wash her hair with shampoo that is a good point....but she has this way of getting lunch in her hair pretty often, and dinner and breakfast too!

patissegrietje
March 4th, 2009, 06:42 AM
:) There are probably people around with more useful tips than mine :wink:

mrsamandajordan
March 4th, 2009, 06:44 AM
No, your advice is great. I honestly had not thought about the fact that when not messy I probably don't need to be using shampoo on her.

patissegrietje
March 4th, 2009, 06:49 AM
I think if you do use shampoo on her it is best to dilute it with some water before, it could help since shampoo is quite harsh!

squiggyflop
March 4th, 2009, 06:51 AM
um well at 16 months it might be time to move on to the tearless toddler shampoos or the tearless childrens shampoos (the toddler/childrens ones have more conditioning stuff than the baby ones).. most of them are 2 in ones but some of them have separate leave ins..

i can personally vouch for loreal kids (http://www.drugstore.com/qxp14468_333181_sespider/loreal_kids/2_in_1_shampoo_extra_gentle_burst_of_watermelon.ht m)... when i was little my mom used it on me and i always had less knots.. oh and its not half bad on adult hair.. they have all different scents

here is a link (http://www.johnsonsbaby.com/prodPlatform.do?id=4)for the toddler stuff

my friend says this one (http://www.johnsonsbaby.com/product.do?id=68)is really good for the whole family (its a leave in conditioner

oh my bad you have already decided not to use shampoo

inty
March 4th, 2009, 06:51 AM
I have 4.5 and 1.5 year olds here. Oldest has BSL (if that makes sense :) and younger - shoulder length. They both have fine blond hair with a bit of a wave. I wash their hair about once in 2-3 weeks if it is really dirty (sand, food, marker, paint, they are very inventive at this age :) If it is slightly dirtly I just rinse with water. So far no dryness. Oldest has tangles sometimes, then I have to either use my own conditioner on her ends or cone baby shampoo (yes they exist, strange enough!)

Both of my kids pretty much hate to wash their hair, to put it mildly, so I have to keep washes short and to the point :)

Normally, I use on their hair sort-of natural baby shampoo with calendula and coco-glucoside as washing agent.

Hope that helps...

Fluke
March 4th, 2009, 08:01 AM
My DD is 4 and I've mostly done a cone free CO on her, it's gets the food and whatnot out and that's essentially all the cleaning needed for baby/toddler hair :)

Eta: Oh, and I don't find that it needs to be left on for the 20 or whatever minutes the standard CO instructions say, if it's a problem having her keep something in her hair that long. With my DD I just slather her hair with the conditioner, does a half pulled-through ponytail and let her play in the shower for a while.
Before her hair was long enough for a pony I just washed her hair with the conditioner like I would with shampoo and it worked just fine.

longhairdreams
March 4th, 2009, 10:17 AM
I'm pretty sure commercial baby wash is pretty strong to help get rid of cradle cap.

I wash my 3 and 5 year old with loreal kids every other wash.Otherwise they start getting funky scalps.The length of their hair feels nicer when I use shampoo bars,but its not cleansing enough for their scalps. But, I do recommend natural shampoo bars.

I think the CO like Fluke suggested could be something good to try as well.

Rohele
March 4th, 2009, 11:08 AM
When my boys were that young they often got water only washes or I just used a very very small amount of baby wash, if their hair was feeling gross (pea sized amount or less, barely enough to produce suds). I would sometimes use a very small amount of my conditioner if it felt dry.

LawyerGirl
March 4th, 2009, 11:15 AM
I use toddler shampoo on my DS2... however, his hair is kept short so my main concern is that it not burn his eyes. I occassionally comb some coconut oil through it though if it doesn't feel soft.

I would imagine, depending on the length of the child's hair, that you could condition the length without having to worry about getting it in her eyes. If you use shampoo, you could dilute it and it would be gentler on her.

Blueneko
March 4th, 2009, 11:18 AM
I do mostly water only washes and my daughter is 4. I only use shampoo when she actually has something in her hair... like dinner. :)

The Suave two-in-one shampoos work well for her. She loves the Fairy Berry Strawberry.

OhioLisa
March 4th, 2009, 11:22 AM
I CO my boys. They use Cure Care conditioner. It gets everything out of their hair. And believe me, these boys can get DIRRRRRTTTYYYY. ;)

Eden Iris
March 4th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Before her hair was long enough for a pony I just washed her hair with the conditioner like I would with shampoo and it worked just fine.

This is exactly what I do with the 4 and the 2. When the little one was younger I used diluted California Baby shampoo/body wash. Since neither one has much patience for the hair washing process, I find that CO takes care of everything in one step and leaves them with clean, shiny hair.

Mearwynna
March 4th, 2009, 11:31 AM
I shampoo the babies hair if I have not washed it recently, or when I notice a buildup of sebum. Other than that I use a bit of conditioner or coconut oil and warm water on her. Usually just once a week, of if she gets something sticky in it. I have found they don't need a lot of soap to get clean, warm water and a bit of conditioner is usually all they need at this stage.

She has very curly hair and we have a problem spot in the back that gets matted no matter what. Her hair also doesn't grow very fast. Her sisters was past her shoulders by the time she was three, and her's is still at her ears (in ringlets.)

The easiest way for me to wash her hair is for her to go up on the counter, I can lay her down and use a cup to rinse her head off as I support her head. She HATES anything else. We all wash our hair in the sink, so it's easy enough.

Nevermore
March 4th, 2009, 12:47 PM
I vote for CO. I plan to do that with my kids and I agree that you don't need to leave it on very long, I leave mine on for 3-5 minutes while doing other showerly duties and this gets out heavy oilings, so it'll certainly get out smashed bananas or whatever else your daughter's put on her head :)

s_tresses
March 4th, 2009, 01:08 PM
My mom used yogurt and honey on my hair until I was 2. After that she started using shampoo and I wish she had used only natural methods.

Yayy for moms who CO their kids' hair. This is a revolution people!

jewelotn
March 4th, 2009, 01:19 PM
I have two DDs (3 yrs old and 6 month) and I recently switched them to CO. I'm using Suave Strawberry Mountain.

I made the switch b/c I was using the J&J baby shampoo on the 3 yr old and was not happy that her ends always felt dry and like straw. We started adding in the conditioner and I just thought, why the heck am I using such a harsh shampoo just to add in all the stuff it stripped?

The 6 month old has more waves and since switching to CO, there is less of it. But other than that, CO has worked out really well.

I also plan on finding a conditioner that doesn't have so much fragrance. I've heard manufacturers can get away with not listing all ingredients by calling them fragrance IF there is a smell to the product.

PrliamntofRooks
March 4th, 2009, 01:28 PM
I had to switch from the J&J baby shampoo when DS was two because even with eod washings and chin length hair he started getting terrible cradle-cap. I like what we switched to (can't remember the name now), but it's NOT kid-friendly. I have to rinse with copious amounts of water to make sure anything in his eyes gets flushed because it burns.

mrsamandajordan
March 5th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Thank you all for your help! I am going to try and CO routine with her for awhile and see how that goes! Thank you so so much!!

mommy101405
March 5th, 2009, 07:50 PM
I agree with the CO. We have been doing this for my 2 and 3 year old girls. My 3 yo has very curly hair and if I use shampoo more than once every week or two it is really dry and frizzy. CO about once a week has been working for her. WO a couple other times if its necessary. We use the suave kids conditioner.

Now if I could find something to help with the crazy bed head it would be great. The curls turn into a crazy pouf ball over night :rolleyes:

ElenTikvah
March 5th, 2009, 08:31 PM
I agree with the CO. We have been doing this for my 2 and 3 year old girls. My 3 yo has very curly hair and if I use shampoo more than once every week or two it is really dry and frizzy. CO about once a week has been working for her. WO a couple other times if its necessary. We use the suave kids conditioner.

Now if I could find something to help with the crazy bed head it would be great. The curls turn into a crazy pouf ball over night :rolleyes:

I found this site earlier today, and when I read your post, I thought you might find this page helpful...

I don't know your daughter's hair type, of course, and this site is focused more for those with tight curls and spirals, but hope it helps!

Clicky (http://www.biracialhair.org/TipsForChildren.aspx)

~Tik