PDA

View Full Version : Indian Herbs and How to Use Them

Aisha25
February 25th, 2009, 12:21 PM
This is all information I have learned and gathered all through internet, traditions and people I have talked too:)
I wanted to make this thread cause I always see someone saying indian herbs dont remove all oils from hairs and this is true at times. So what you must do is first get the powders you want to use for cleansing,darking or conditioning. If you like some recipes here is a great thread about different herbs and dals to use by my friend :Herbs and There Uses http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=10900

[I]Indian herbs have been used for thousands of years and are still being used and will probably stay around for another thousands of years. Here are some of the things that Indian herbs are good for:

Methi - It makes the pastes very mushy, soft, and easy to apply, and rinse out and it is a great herbal conditioner I have tried so far.
Neem - (powder or leaves) can help get rid of pimples and dandruff,lice. Good hair conditioner too if you dont mind the smell.
Amla (gooseberry) - Thickens, darkens, and nourishes hair.
Shikakai - Hair cleanser,great alone or mixed
Aritha (whole or powder) - Helps rid hair of dandruff. Hair cleanser
Mehandi (henna) - Strengthens,adds shine and conditions hair. Also used as a herbal hair dye.
Chandan - Smells heavenly! Conditions and helps darken hair.
Til (sesame) - Promotes hair growth, darkens hair,sunscreen.
Bhringraj - Darkens, strengthens, and conditions hair. (I have found that it is best used in conjunction with other herbs for more beneficial conditioning).
Coconut - (used as oil or milk) conditioning,strengthens,helps keep hairs dark,cooling to the body and head.
Castor oil - maintains thickness and darkness of hair(used for light treatments with other oils).

How to make and apply a herbal pastes:
You will need the powdered form of the herb for the paste. You can use almost any herbs with each other for the benefits of all of them, but you should first consider what you are trying to achieve. For example, if you want your hair to be darker, you would want to choose herbs that will help darken it. Before you apply it is highly recommended to oil your hair and scalp,not just for conditioning but also for minimising the chance for the herbs to get absorbed into the body. For hair that is thick and around thighs length like mine, you will probably need about 8 tablespoons of herbal powder. If you want this paste to act only as a cleanser and conditioner, you could use 4 tablespoons of shikakai (cleanser) and 4 tablespoons of chandan (conditioner). It doesn't matter how much you use of each, all of the mixing and matching I have done have produced good results.

Once you have decided which powders to use and have put the amounts in a bowl, you will want to add hot/boiling water. You can also use cooked rice water. This helps take out some of the oil. If it is for a paste, you will want it to be fairly thick, but not so thick that it is difficult to apply (if you have ever used henna, it should be very similar to that).

Applying pastes:
Now you have finished making your paste how do you use it?
I will usually get upside down over a bathtub. This really helps the cleaning up when you are done. If you have made a paste that is to be used for conditioning purposes only, you can just apply it to the length of your hair and leave it in for however long you want before rinsing. If it is for cleansing as well, you will want to rub it into your scalp. I like to flip my head over and first rub the paste into my scalp, all over, then I work from the roots down, applying the paste on dry hairs. I dont apply herbal pastes to wet hairs. I twist the hair as I apply the paste, making sure I get it to all of the areas. Then I secure it in a bun on top of my head, with a towel wrapped around or a plastic bag if I'm going to sleep with it in.

If you have alot oil on your hairs then leave the paste overnight then rinse them off in the morning,this is really good when you have alot of oil in your hairs.

Now rinsing out the paste:
I get upside down, undo the bun, and spray the length and scalp with warmish/cold water from hand-held shower head. As I spray it, the twisted length unravels. I sometimes find it is very easy to rinse out herbal pastes. If it is not easy, you might want to try the bucket method - fill a bucket with water and dunk your length in. This is very effective in getting the paste out of your hair and it lets the mud get soft and easier to rinse out.

Whole herbs such as aritha can be boiled or left overnight in some warm water. In the morning massage these and the soapy liquid will come out and can be used for the washing. If you have alot of oil leave this on for sometime, (remember it is natural and will not hurt your hair) also making sure it does not get into your eyes cause it will burn very much.

Oils/ Now oils are good from oil baths to light oilings on non-wash days.
I like to do oil baths in summer time,as this is very cooling to the body and head. In India it is commonly used with sesame or coconut oils,and is used on days before head bath. Now I know this, how do I use them?
Take the desired oil and start applying to your scalp,youll want to use alot of oil so it looks like wet hair. Massage your scalp and braid. I use it on my body as well cause I get very hot in summer. I apply to backs of knees,under arms,neck and thighs. You can do this to babies as well so they are not getting too hot.
Light oilings are easy and should be done with massage 3 times a week. (Everyday without oil before bedtime). Take half a teaspoon into palm and cup it so it doesnt spill over. Take your middlefinger and index fingertips and dip in the oil,then apply to your scalp in a circular motion, (making sure you are only moving the scalp not hairs around). Do this all over your scalp (if you need more oil then add alittle more into your palm like first time. Then when all done massage it all in a circular motion and moving scalp around not hairs,for 5mins. After your done rub your hands together and put the rest on your hairs and all done. When doing massage without oils do same but leaving out the oil.

Some other ideas for herbal pastes:
Adding yogurt.Sometimes this treatments can leave your hair oily so it can be used as conditioning treatments. After mixing the herbs with boiling water (just enough to create a thick paste), add some yogurt. How much you add depends on the length of your hair and how much is in your herbal mixture.
Honey- When you are done mixing the herbs with boiling water, you can add a few tablespoons of honey. This will, like yogurt, help boost conditioning qualities of the herbs.

Applying to wet/dry hair:
Should you apply the herbs to wet hair or dry hair? That is a matter of personal preference. I usually apply it to dry hair, because it is the quickest for me, and I don't need to get into the shower first to do it.
After rinsing herbs out of hair squeeze water out of hair and wrap hair with whatever you normally use. I do a loose bun on top of my head and then use a t-shirt for a few minutes,then I let my hair open and air dry them. I always have sticks left in my hair, so I do hair slapping when my hair is damp, to loosen these and dry my hair.

Any questions or more benefits of herbs or links feel free to add :)

ktani
February 25th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Aisha

This is great! Thank you so much for creating such a comprehensive thread.

You have always been a great source information for me on Indian herbs and plants because of your experience with them and knowledge of Indian traditions and your generosity in sharing your vast knowledge.

Silver & Gold
February 25th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Thank you so much for posting this. I find this quite useful and I imagine there will be more than a few others who will also appreciate what you have shared.

ratgirldjh
February 25th, 2009, 12:37 PM
wow aisha! thanks :)

i have used shikakai and amla paste and my hair was actually much more healthy when i would use it. but i too had problems with the oil coming out.

but i only left mine on for 30 minutes and i didn't realize that you could leave it on for much longer!

i'm not sure they carry chandan at my indian store - but i will look.

how would it be to subsitute amla for chandan? i have a lot of amla powder!

will an equal mix of shikakai and amla be good?

i have also used just shikakai and that also seemed to make my hair wonderful.
but it seemed that adding the amla made it silkier somehow.

thanks for taking the time to do this post!

Aisha25
February 25th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Thanks you guys:D

ratgirldjh: You can use amla same way as the chandan powder. Use half and half of each herb you want to do. So say like you want to do shikakai,amla and bhringraj you do 4 tablespoon of shikakai and 2 of amla and 2 of bhringraj.

ktani
February 25th, 2009, 12:47 PM
You are most welcome, on my part. I look forward to learning more from you, through this thread!

ratgirldjh
February 25th, 2009, 01:02 PM
hey aisha - i just realized that i have no shikakai left :(

is there anyway to use amla powder for cleansing by itself?

i tried it once to remove a heavy oiling and it didn't work - but i only left it on for 30 minutes
will leaving it on longer help?

maybe i could mix it with eggs - but could i leave the eggs in with the amla overnight - and would i be left with an eggy smell? i hate the smell of eggs - LOL

oh - i do have some bentonite clay - how would that be mixed with amla powder to take off oil?

Aisha25
February 25th, 2009, 01:08 PM
No amla is just a conditioner it wont take out alot of the oil. I havent really experimented with amla only masks to remove oil but if I were to, I would just make a paste and leave on my hair for maybe 2 hours then rinsing it off.

ratgirldjh
February 25th, 2009, 01:10 PM
thanks! maybe i will try it with just the amla til i get some shikakai!

almudena
February 25th, 2009, 01:16 PM
That's amazing Aisha. Thank you posting this!!! :flowers:

ratgirldjh
February 25th, 2009, 01:17 PM
guess what! i found my shikakai!

is half shikakai and half amla a good formula?

i will oil my hair overnight first and then how long should i leave the paste on?

i have hair that is almost arm pit length

thanks ;)

Aisha25
February 25th, 2009, 01:26 PM
guess what! i found my shikakai!

is half shikakai and half amla a good formula?

i will oil my hair overnight first and then how long should i leave the paste on?

i have hair that is almost arm pit length

thanks ;)

Sure it depends on how much oil your going to use though. If you use alot of oil leave the paste on along time that way the oil gets removed. Just make sure its not too much oil that way you dont have a hard time removing it:).

mellie
February 25th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Very nice, Aisha! There are some things I hadn't heard of before for hair - like Chandan and Til. I see that Chandan is Sandalwood, that must make hair smell lovely!

ktani
February 25th, 2009, 03:37 PM
I did some posts on chandran here, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=471727&postcount=330 and here, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=471735&postcount=332, and here, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=471763&postcount=334.

ktani
February 25th, 2009, 03:41 PM
More on sandalwood can be found here, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=471787&postcount=338 and here, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=471793&postcount=339.

BlndeInDisguise
February 25th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Thanks for posting this, Aisha! Someday I'd love to try some Indian Herbs, but at this point, I can't order them online.

I noticed that you said that Til (Sesame) can be used as a sunscreen. What part of sesame is used? The seeds?

Aisha25
February 25th, 2009, 03:53 PM
The oil it works as a sunscreen and lets the hair keep its natural color:)
For me too I cant order them online I have to go out of town for mine:rolleyes:

BlndeInDisguise
February 25th, 2009, 03:59 PM
The oil it works as a sunscreen and lets the hair keep its natural color:)
For me too I cant order them online I have to go out of town for mine:rolleyes:

Oh, the oil, I see. I'm going to have to try that on my horse this summer and see if it works. :)

I think there's an Indian Grocery in a town that we go to once in a while, but Mom's not too adventures about finding places since we don't know the town very well. And I'm really, really bad with directions. :p At least you can get sesame oil in "regular" grocery stores, though, I believe.

Aisha25
February 25th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Your gonna try it on your horse:lol: first time I ever heard that one. Let us know if it works:)

ktani
February 25th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Aisha

Do you still use conventional shampoo and conditioner in your routine and if so, how often? What products do you use if you do?

Do you notice a difference in your shedding when you do use them?

Misso
February 25th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Interesting article Aisha.

ratgirldjh
February 25th, 2009, 05:33 PM
hi aisha
well, i couldn't wait and i have oiled my hair and i'm going to sleep with the oil in (coconut oil) and tomorrow try and wash it out with the 1/2 shikakai and 1/2 amla powders mixed.

do you think it will be okay for me to leave the paste in my hair for an hour? or should i leave it even longer? i oiled pretty heavy - but not dripping - but my hair definitely looks oily.

when i used to do this before i only left the shikakai in for 20 - 25 minutes and my hair was usually a little oily.

BlndeInDisguise
February 25th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Your gonna try it on your horse:lol: first time I ever heard that one. Let us know if it works:)

Well, she's out in the sun a lot more than I am, and she doesn't care if her mane turns a brassy red. :p Hopefully it'll keep it from turning more red, but it would be just my luck if it didn't. :D

I may try it on my skin, too. :)

ratgirldjh
February 25th, 2009, 07:16 PM
i love coconut oil on my skin
and i have found that it does protect my skin from burning in the sun - i didn't even think about it protecting hair from the sun - but it makes sense! it does seem to protect it from chlorine when i swim

i have never tried sesame oil - but i would like to try it on my skin and hair.

Diamondbell
February 25th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Hi Aisha25- you have really become a Hair Guru :thumbsup: - nice article, very detailed and is going to be useful to all. Especially I found it interesting that you do the Shikakai with head bent forward! Have to try that!! :D Thanks for posting this!

Aisha25
February 25th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Aisha

Do you still use conventional shampoo and conditioner in your routine and if so, how often? What products do you use if you do?

Do you notice a difference in your shedding when you do use them?
When I use diluted shampoo it makes my scalp hurt afterwards, like more sensitive but I get same amount of shed and it makes but it removes some treatments better than the herbs:) If I use something its no cones and gentler sulfates.

ktani
February 25th, 2009, 09:07 PM
When I use diluted shampoo it makes my scalp hurt afterwards, like more sensitive but I get same amount of shed and it makes but it removes some treatments better than the herbs:) If I use something its no cones and gentler sulfates.

Thanks.

I use gentler sulfates too. If I avoid certain ingredients (other than just gentler sulfates), my sensitive scalp is fine with shampoo.

Aisha25
February 25th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Yeah me too once I used suave shampoo oooh my scalp was aching for 2 days. After that it became a body washer:lol:

Aisha25
February 25th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Hi Aisha25- you have really become a Hair Guru :thumbsup: - nice article, very detailed and is going to be useful to all. Especially I found it interesting that you do the Shikakai with head bent forward! Have to try that!! :D Thanks for posting this!
Hey you are more guru then I ever could be Diamondbell:flower:

s_tresses
February 25th, 2009, 09:29 PM
How exactly do you use sandalwood (chandan) ? Has anyone every tried it before?

Aisha25
February 25th, 2009, 09:34 PM
You just mix it in with your paste:)

HotRag
February 26th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Ooooh!
Thank you Aisha, this is just what I need!
:bowtome: :bowtome: :bowtome:

eaglefeather71
February 26th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Aisha, this is an amazing thread. Thanks so much for sharing your experience in such an understandable and thorough way. I'm really looking forward to doing a heavy oiling Friday since I have half the day off, and doing an overnight cleansing/conditioning Friday night! I applied some soapnut liquid to my very lightly oiled hair after work today and tried to let it sit for a while but it started feeling really itchy at the nape of my neck so I had to rinse it out after about 15 minutes or so. I'll probably not use the liquid for the overnight mask, but use the powdered shikakai and amla instead for starters. Thanks again for this thread!

Diamondbell
February 26th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Hi Aisha25 - I read recently at the indusladies website that someone soaks the shikakai powder for 20-30 minutes in a vessel before hair wash because it makes it set right. This seems to be a good idea rather than to mix the powder at the last minute when you are just going to have a hairwash. I am doing that today! :)

Aisha25
February 26th, 2009, 08:32 PM
What a great idea. Iron vessel yes?? Tell me how it goes after your done:D

Aisha25
February 26th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Also a good one, Put amla powder in warm water, boil it and wash hairs with it to make the hairs beautiful and shiny:) Also rubbing onion on bald spots will make hairs come:) This is what I do when I am having heavy hair fall.

Diamondbell
February 26th, 2009, 10:26 PM
What a great idea. Iron vessel yes?? Tell me how it goes after your done:D

I don't have an iron vessel, at least not for this purpose. I used a stainless steel vessel. I just finished - wow - it is good. Definitely at least once a week I want to do this treatment! :)

Aisha25
February 26th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Very nice now I am going to do this:D I hope you dont mind Diamondbell that I posted your thread here also:flower:

Diamondbell
February 26th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Very nice now I am going to do this:D I hope you dont mind Diamondbell that I posted your thread here also:flower:

Not at all, I don't mind that you posted that thread in this thread. I clicked on that link and it didn't open though!

Aisha25
February 26th, 2009, 10:41 PM
It didnt:bigeyes: ok fixed now:D

Akiko
February 27th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Wonderful thread, Aisha! I have to use my shikakai and amla more. I have been lazy and not taking time to prepare my herbs!

Aisha25
February 27th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Yeah sometimes can be pain in the behind espessially in colder months. I am just glad some people will get use out of the many different ways to use them:)

Xena
February 27th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Hello Aisha!

first of all thx for this great and informative post! Im new to Indian herbs and never tried it, cause its not easy to get all this powders here..

But i found an Online Shop in the Uk that sells all the "Hesh" powders and other Indian Herbs and Oils.. The shipping costs to my country are ok so im gonna order there :)

I found some other interesting stuff and wanted to ask you if i can use that in hair- or facecare..

This is:

Heenara Hair Oil (i think thats 100% natural)
Ginger Powder
Liquorice Root Powder
Mango Powder (maybe for the Skin?)
Anardana Powder (Pomegranate Powder)
Ajwain (Lovage Seeds)
Lotus Seeds or Lotus Roots
Turkmania (Basil Seeds)
Fennel Powder
Hibiscus Flower
Rice Flour

I use the Dabur Vatika Oil at the moment. I think its very good and its the only 100% natural Oil from Dabur afaik.. All the other oils (like the Dabur Amla oil) contain mineral oil...

One last question.. Do you think i should avoid the darkening powders cause of my honey blonde hair colour? Cause i think if i just use it for washing purpose and doesnt leave it on the hair for too long it doesnt matter?
On the other side my lenghts are chemically bleached (warm gold blonde) so im not sure if i turn out darker then...

Greets,
Xena

Aisha25
February 27th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Hello Aisha!

first of all thx for this great and informative post! Im new to Indian herbs and never tried it, cause its not easy to get all this powders here..

But i found an Online Shop in the Uk that sells all the "Hesh" powders and other Indian Herbs and Oils.. The shipping costs to my country are ok so im gonna order there :)

I found some other interesting stuff and wanted to ask you if i can use that in hair- or facecare..

This is:

Heenara Hair Oil (i think thats 100% natural)
Ginger Powder
Liquorice Root Powder
Mango Powder (maybe for the Skin?)
Anardana Powder (Pomegranate Powder)
Ajwain (Lovage Seeds)
Lotus Seeds or Lotus Roots
Turkmania (Basil Seeds)
Fennel Powder
Hibiscus Flower
Rice Flour

I use the Dabur Vatika Oil at the moment. I think its very good and its the only 100% natural Oil from Dabur afaik.. All the other oils (like the Dabur Amla oil) contain mineral oil...

One last question.. Do you think i should avoid the darkening powders cause of my honey blonde hair colour? Cause i think if i just use it for washing purpose and doesnt leave it on the hair for too long it doesnt matter?
On the other side my lenghts are chemically bleached (warm gold blonde) so im not sure if i turn out darker then...

Greets,
Xena
Ok the heenara one is pure no worry on that one:). The other powders you mention amchur,ginger powder is really used for cooking in India so I am not familier for hair or face for those. The other yes can be used for hair espessially hibisicus it is good along with shikakai. Here is a link that will let you know how to use all those powders for hair http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=10900. These herbs wont really darken your hairs. You can use them without any worries. But they will keep your hair from fading,unlike regular shampoo;)

Xena
February 27th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Thanks a lot! Im going to read your recommended thread now! Btw your hair looks gorgeous! How long is it now? I guess knee lengths?

I moved and have Indian neighbours now.. But I never talked to them (I am rather shy to talk to ppl i dont know ;)) But I would really like to talk to them about Indian Hair- and Beautycare. Maybe they can give me hints where to get herbs in my city...

Aisha25
February 27th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Thanks a lot! Im going to read your recommended thread now! Btw your hair looks gorgeous! How long is it now? I guess knee lengths?

I moved and have Indian neighbours now.. But I never talked to them (I am rather shy to talk to ppl i dont know ;)) But I would really like to talk to them about Indian Hair- and Beautycare. Maybe they can give me hints where to get herbs in my city...
Almost knee about 3 or 4 inches more to go I think:ponder: Thank you very much:D Its tricky talking to new people if I were you I would casualy say excuse me do you know where Indian shop is here?? Lol easier said then done hai haha! But it would be cheaper for you;)

Xena
February 27th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Wow thats really a great lengths! I wish mine would grow a lil bit faster- they are bra strap and I think and I wanna grow them midback or waist... My hair is very fine and damaged due to colouring em lighter ;) But I really hate my natural hair colour- its mouse grey :rolleyes: And it isnt that shiny as yours (I think darker hair has more shine in general)

Well I try to talk to them soon. Just need more time to get to know them- maybe in spring when its warmer :D Its so cold and snows and Im glad to get in the house soon.

But I dont think its cheaper! The Uk prizes are pretty cheap- like 1-1,50 English Pounds per Hesh Powder.. And im going to order all Hesh powders that i can get ;) That are a total of 21 powders! I bet in the local shops they sell em for 3 Euro or more.. so it would be more expensive than the UK order with shipping costs..

Sorry for my english ;) Im not in practice anymore!

ratgirldjh
February 27th, 2009, 05:40 PM
wow - you are lucky to have indian neighbors :)
years ago i had neighbors from indian and we were friends and they even taught me to thread my eyebrows! actually, they did it for me - i still can't get the method down!

i love indian food - i have to say that it is probably my favorite food. mmmmmmmmm
(goes off to kitchen to see what she can find)

Aisha25
February 27th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Oh ok your in the UK I thought you are in US and buying from UK lol. Well that is cheaper there,that shop is pretty cheap and has alot of spices and cookwear. I use henna so I get shine from that or else I would have very little:lol:

Xena
February 27th, 2009, 05:47 PM
wow - you are lucky to have indian neighbors :)
years ago i had neighbors from indian and we were friends and they even taught me to thread my eyebrows! actually, they did it for me - i still can't get the method down!

i love indian food - i have to say that it is probably my favorite food. mmmmmmmmm
(goes off to kitchen to see what she can find)

Yeah i am very lucky! I love Indian Food too :) But I dont like Cumin, and its really hard to avoid that cause its a very common spice in India..

What did they do with your eyebrows? They trimmed them? Like removing eyebrow hair and bring it in the right position? Sorry but i dont get it ;)

Oh ok your in the UK I thought you are in US and buying from UK lol. Well that is cheaper there,that shop is pretty cheap and has alot of spices and cookwear. I use henna so I get shine from that or else I would have very little:lol:

Naah I live in Europe :) Unfortunately not in Uk, otherwise it would be easy to get Indian herbs..

I cant use Henna cause I dont wanna get red hair... I just can use Cassia, but I dont think its as potent as Lawsonia..

ratgirldjh
February 28th, 2009, 02:07 PM
they used a method called threading to remove stray eyebrows and shape them - my eyebrows are very bushy - LOL

this method is where you use a piece of thread twisted to grab the hairs and pull them out. they also did my entire face - it gets out even hairs you cannot see - and afterwards you face feels very smooth and looks great!

sometimes this service is offered at salons

ratgirldjh
February 28th, 2009, 02:09 PM
oh aisha - i am trying to go several days before oiling my hair and trying a new mix. this time i am thinking of using 2 tablespoons of shikakai and one of chandan (i don't have too much chandan left) and i am going to make it with boiling water and much thinner this time.

do you think i should add a little yogurt - i know it would help the ease of application - but i am afraid that since i am going to apply the mixture to oiled hair and leave it in for 3 hours or more that the yogurt may leave a smell.

hopefully i will be able to get the thinner mixture down to my scalp and all over my hair - if you are using 8 tablespoons on your VERY long hair - 3 tablespoons should be more than enough for my almost bra strap length hair - right???

i am going to leave out the amla since i think that it makes the ends of my hair crunchy for some reason and i know it doesn't help remove oil. what do you think?

Xena
February 28th, 2009, 04:57 PM
they used a method called threading to remove stray eyebrows and shape them - my eyebrows are very bushy - LOL

this method is where you use a piece of thread twisted to grab the hairs and pull them out. they also did my entire face - it gets out even hairs you cannot see - and afterwards you face feels very smooth and looks great!

sometimes this service is offered at salons

That sounds really great! I suffer from facial hair too :o They are very bright and not that ugly but I really hate that! I would really like to do such a treatment. Never heard about it though :confused:

ratgirldjh
February 28th, 2009, 05:21 PM
the threading works great - look at some of the salons that do eyebrow shaping they often do threading as well.

AISHA
i just got more chandan! i was thinking of doing 2 tablespoons shikakai and 2 tablespoons of chandan and 1 tablespoon of ground chia seeds (sort of like fenugreek) for my next mix on oiled hair - think this will be a good mix? i was planning on leaving in it at least 3 hours.

ideas? thanks :)

Xena
February 28th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Yeah I need to ask for that.. Its really weird that a thread works.. I have no clue how they can remove thin hair with that. I think I heard about that before.. its some common oriental method. How long does it last? Like waxing?

ratgirldjh
February 28th, 2009, 05:28 PM
it lasts as long as waxing since what you are doing is pulling the hair out by the roots. you use a piece of thread and twist it so that the little hairs get stuck in it and it pulls them out!

maybe if you google threading you can find info on how to do it

ratgirldjh
March 1st, 2009, 05:20 PM
OK
i oiled my hair last night after my chia seed 'conditioning' treatment left my hair frizzy and tangled...

today i made a mix of 1/2 shikakai and 1/2 chandan and boiling water - after i let this sit for almost an hour it was still too runny so i went ahead and added a teaspoon of ground chia seeds and it did soak up the water

i applied this mix on my damp pre-oiled hair and left it for 3 hours

success! all of the oil is out and my hair is wonderful! and it smells great! i think i can get away with a little bit of the ground chia seeds - but there is a small amount of dryness on the ends - the chia seeds probably caused this...

next time i won't use the chia seeds and probably 3 tablespoons of shikakai and 2 of chandan because i am getting low on chandan already.... the lady at the indian store actually asked me what i am buying all the chandan for since i have bought 6 of the containers already - LOL

HotRag
June 7th, 2009, 03:02 AM
Hi there.
I have discussed time to leave shikakai on hair, in another thread.

I wonder if it is ok to leave shikakai on hair for two hours.
It does not dry my hair in this time and with my amount.
I use just 3 TB of shikakai + aritha (or just shikakai), and 3 TB of others (neem, brahmi, maybe tulsi, molasses and so).

Aisha25, how long do you have to let 4 TB shikakai + 4 TB conditioning herbs sit on your pre oiled hair, to get it clean?

Aisha25
June 7th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Well when I use shikakai I oil heavily heavily so I have to leave the mask on for some hours to get it all out. If I want to hurry I add henna in my mix cause henna too is a oil remover so that is only for about an hour or two.

It really depends on how oily your hair is if its not oiled enough then you can apply it while it is wet and just massage it in. If the hair is heavily oiled then apply while dry so that way the shikakai can absorb it out.

Dont forget to soak your ends in a bucket of water while your rinsing it out. That way you dont get any residue stuck to your ends.

HotRag
June 7th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Well when I use shikakai I oil heavily heavily so I have to leave the mask on for some hours to get it all out. If I want to hurry I add henna in my mix cause henna too is a oil remover so that is only for about an hour or two.

It really depends on how oily your hair is if its not oiled enough then you can apply it while it is wet and just massage it in. If the hair is heavily oiled then apply while dry so that way the shikakai can absorb it out.

Dont forget to soak your ends in a bucket of water while your rinsing it out. That way you dont get any residue stuck to your ends.
Thank you for your answer.
The bucket thing I will try, I haven't done that.

I just have the shikakai on my hair until hair is clean.
I apply on dry hair, but then the "paste" is rather loose and diluted (maybe it is called "gravy"?).
I feel like the herbs more easily can reach all the hair if I start on dry hair. Then I know that all wet hairs have gotten the blend.

Aisha25
June 7th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Yea you should make it like how you would do your henna mix same consistency. The bucket method will help take off any left over residue. Just soak your ends in it, it will help.

Also when rinsing the paste off use little water at a time not just putting your whole hair under water but getting handfuls of water at a time and massaging it in your hair. That way your loosening up the shikakai and getting out more oil then you can rinse all your hair.

nowxisxforever
June 24th, 2009, 01:42 AM
Wonderful! :)

MandaMom2Three
August 3rd, 2009, 09:22 AM
I'm finding more and more I'm switching to as natural products as possible and I am seriously thinking of trying these herbs. I DO see that many of them are said to make the hair darker, that is definitely holding me back, I don't want darker hair :shrug: . Is this colour change permanent (like henna) or just temporary? I love my red hair but I would love to try washing with herbs.

mira-chan
August 3rd, 2009, 10:39 AM
The darkening generally refers to making dark or balckhair healthier, making it look darker and getting less gray.

If you do get some darkening from herbs, that would have been caused by staining, which washes out in the next wash or two.

MandaMom2Three
August 3rd, 2009, 10:53 AM
ok, I'm going to give it a go them :D

Aisha25
August 3rd, 2009, 11:12 AM
Yeah if it made hair darker than I wouldnt have to use indigo so much :p So dont worry it wont darken your hair

HotRag
August 3rd, 2009, 11:51 AM
If one only use Indian herbs to wash hair, how to get rid of or/and prevent build up from the herbs? Without using modern detergents.

ChloeDharma
August 3rd, 2009, 12:15 PM
If one only use Indian herbs to wash hair, how to get rid of or/and prevent build up from the herbs? Without using modern detergents.

What about soaking the hair like the mermaid hair soak except without the coconut milk etc?

Aisha25
August 3rd, 2009, 12:42 PM
I dont get build up but yeah try soaking your hair in tons of water :D

HotRag
August 3rd, 2009, 01:07 PM
I dont get build up but yeah try soaking your hair in tons of water :D
Do you use such as methi every time, or have washes with like shikakai only?

I made IHW every second time, and decyl glucose every other time (most to scalp from the shampo, and let the shampo flow down the lengths).

I got build up that I had to remove by mild and pure decyl glucose shampo, and I had to wash lengths and ends too (gentle of course).

I think I don't get the hang of IHW fully. I always have the problems with a bit of doll hair or dry feeling, but oils are not washed out satisfying.
And I used 3 TB shikakai, and 1 TB of neem, 1 TB brahmi and 1-2 teaspoon of methi and some honey. Let it sit for two hours. Applied on dry pre oiled hair.

Maybe the not enough cleaning is the cause of the build up?
And how to get rid of the odd dry feeling of wet hair (when dry hair clearly shows a bit oily hair)?

Aisha25
August 3rd, 2009, 01:11 PM
I only use either shikakai or aritha liquid alone I cant be bothered with fancy mixes and such. I do conditioning before I wash and then if my hair is too clean I use conditioner cone free after. I dont use methi really cause if you use too much you get too much mucilige and so it makes hair act weird.

So you can try to just simplify your herbs,like just do how you would normal shampoo. Like just use shikakai/aritha that way your just cleaning your hair and not putting too many herbs on them. Too many ingredients can lead to funny hair as well.

HotRag
August 3rd, 2009, 01:59 PM
I only use either shikakai or aritha liquid alone I cant be bothered with fancy mixes and such. I do conditioning before I wash and then if my hair is too clean I use conditioner cone free after. I dont use methi really cause if you use too much you get too much mucilige and so it makes hair act weird.

So you can try to just simplify your herbs,like just do how you would normal shampoo. Like just use shikakai/aritha that way your just cleaning your hair and not putting too many herbs on them. Too many ingredients can lead to funny hair as well.
Thanks. I will try that.

Scalp likes the herbs, but I have Pune's mahabhringaraj oil with neem oil added, on scalp before washing. Maybe that's enough.
The hair in itself don't need those, it just want to be clean, moistured and conditioned.

I will also try aritha liquid foam wash. I only wash once a week, so it takes long time for me to try out and evaluate all methods :D

MandaMom2Three
August 4th, 2009, 08:07 PM
:cheese:Ok, I just ordered some shikaki and some amla from Henna Sooq. I really want to add chandan to my mix but I can't find it online anywhere that doesn't cost a fortune :rolleyes: I guess that can wait until I can find an Indian store to buy in person (stupid shipping lol). I'm REALLY excited to try this, I'm back to using cones again which is a big step AWAY from where I'd LIKE to be, I want to use as little chemical stuff as humanly possible, and you can't get much chem free than THIS :D

MandaMom2Three
August 5th, 2009, 06:50 AM
Oh dear, I just thought of something. My hair is giving me fits right now that I suspect are due to a protein overload. I think I read on here somewhere that henna acts like a protein treatment, I'm not planning on using henna in my washing mix, but was wondering if the other herbs might act in a similar manner. Will using these herbs make my protein hating hair act up?

Aisha25
August 5th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Dont worry theres no protien in herbs:)

MandaMom2Three
August 5th, 2009, 12:35 PM
That's good, I just started getting my hair back under control :lol:

Aisha25
August 5th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Yeah hair can be so picky sometimes. Mine threw a fit just cause I didnt have yoghurt in my last treatment :roll:

MandaMom2Three
August 5th, 2009, 12:46 PM
LOL sounds like my toddler :rollin: Oh I can't wait for my herbs to get here!!! I can't wait to try!! I'm still put out that I couldn't find any chandan (sandalwood smells sooooo nice, I would LOVE my hair to smell like that!!!) hopefully when we move I'll be able to find a store that carries it, there's nothing like that around this area of Ontario :shrug: Though I can certainly find fenugreek here! I like the smell of that too (not as much as sandalwood mind you) and I need all the conditioning I can get :p . I don't know if I can find it preground in this area, but I can always just grind it myself :D

Aisha25
August 5th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Lol yeah my hair is oh so immature, it takes after me :lol: I fight and cry over anything I dont like :roll:

Well dont worry aritha and shikakai have nice scents mmmmmmmm so does amla remind me of India and using attars reminds me of Arabia. Thats why I like to use them :cloud9:

MandaMom2Three
August 5th, 2009, 01:08 PM
LOL this may not be good, my hair may become happy but I might get too hungry!!!! I want curry now just THINKING about herbs :lol:

Aisha25
August 5th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Lol I always want curry, which reminds me I have to make it tonight. thanks

MandaMom2Three
August 5th, 2009, 01:24 PM
May I come for supper? :D

Aisha25
August 5th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Yeah come on,its so spicy your nose will leak and youll be sweating :p

MandaMom2Three
August 5th, 2009, 01:35 PM
LOL good curry clears the pores :rollin:

MandaMom2Three
August 11th, 2009, 07:36 PM
YAY! My herbs came today!!! I didn't want to use coconut oil right now as my hair is protein overloaded, I don't want to hold it in lol. So I oiled the length with avocado oil and the scalp with avocado/castor/rosemary oil. I left that on for a few hours and then mixed up 2 tbsp each shikaki, amla & methi, water to make pudding and a drop of patchouli and ylang ylang oil (smells heeeeeeavenly!). Got that all in and saran wrapped, I'll rinse it all out tomorrow. I'm really excited to see how it turns out :D

danacc
August 11th, 2009, 10:11 PM
I went to an Indian grocery store that I hadn't been to in quite some time, and picked up shikakai and amla. I saw some fresh naan that looked good, so I picked up a bag. When I was checking out, the lady at the cashier picked up the Hesh boxes of shikakai and amla, looked at me quite seriously and said, "you know these are for hair, right?" I just smiled and said "yes". It wasn't until I got home that I realized she must have thought I might try using the herbs in food or something. :)

MandaMom2Three
August 12th, 2009, 05:57 AM
Well I just rinsed out all the herbs. I know there's still some in there, but most of that should brush out when my hair is dry. So observations, hair feels thicker and while not as slippy as when using conditioner, it DEFINITELY feels more conditioned than using shampoo and no conditioner! And my hair smells like India :D . I have noticed that most of my hair is in pretty good shape except for the last 3 inches or so. I'm still debating whether to chop them now or wait for more length. Oh well, not like there's a time limit for deciding, we'll see in time. More observations to come when hair is dry :)

ETA- Danacc, I WISH I could find this stuff locally!!! Maybe once we move to a more urban area I'll be able to find a store that would carry it!

kdaniels8811
August 12th, 2009, 10:14 AM
This is a GREAT thread. I have been using herbs exclusively for about 8 months and love what they do for my hair. Thanks, Aisha, for posting the great article.

MandaMom2Three
August 12th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Ok it's dry, my hair is frizzy, but it's ALWAYS frizzy, even when I CO heavily! I'm actually quite amazed, I would NEVER get away with not using conditioner after shampoo, but I didn't use conditioner after the herbs and I wouldn't be able to tell. Now if I can just figure out how to use oil to smooth the frizzys!

kdaniels8811
August 12th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Amanda - I soak my length in catnip tea and scalp with my herbal mix. Makes for soft shiny hair. Just a suggestion, I do not know if you have tried catnip for conditioning.

MandaMom2Three
August 12th, 2009, 08:29 PM
ooooo, no I havn't! I will try that!!!

hennaphile
August 16th, 2009, 10:58 PM
oh man, I'd forgotten how nice shikakia/aritha/amla mixed with distilled rose water make my hair! Almost as good as henna-- thick and shiny, and a little straighter :cloud9:

I'd do it everyday if it didn't take so long to rinse out :p

Canarygirl
August 17th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Amanda - I soak my length in catnip tea and scalp with my herbal mix. Makes for soft shiny hair. Just a suggestion, I do not know if you have tried catnip for conditioning.

how do you accomplish this without one of these running-over/diluting the other (catnip vs herbal washing mix)?

kdaniels8811
August 17th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Canarygirl - I soak my length in catnip tea, make a ponytail, then place a baggie over it and let the hair soak for a while. My herb mixture has steeped in hot water, like making tea. After the herb mixture has cooled, I pour it over the scalp and either put a plastic garbage bag folded like a kerchief over the whole thing or just go jump in the shower. I generally like to let the herbs soak in about 20 minutes before rinsing, catnip stays in for a half hour to an hour. When I am ready to rinse, I just pull all the plastic bags off my head and rinse the whole thing out. I find that herb "gravey" rather than a paste works better for me, rinses much easier. If I have not explained anything clearly, please let me know!

sorraia
August 18th, 2009, 08:10 AM
I was wondering if any of you use 100% herbs on your hair all of
the time? Meaning no commercially made products or if so what percent?
And as far as getting the most shine which herbs besides amla are best to use?
Aisha I was wondering just how dark my hair can get using the Ayurvedic herbs
for darkening. (I love the color and shine of your hair, although I am not sure I could carry it off). Yesterday I mixed up my own brew of Bhringraj hair darkening oil
with the hopes it will make my hair healthier and darker. I eventually may opt to try a indigo/henna gloss.
Also one last question, I think Aisha had mentioned using onion to help thinning hair.
I couldn't find the thread on it and was wondering how often does one have to use
the onion juice? Thank you in advance for any insight.

hmmm
August 18th, 2009, 09:21 AM
I really like this thread! I found this forum quite recently, and its a little surprising how little I know about Indian herbs, having lived in India most of my life... I bought aritha powder today, I'm trying it right now. Do any of you know about Meera Herbal Hairwash Powder? I read somewhere that it has detergents in it, I didn't know about that when I got it.

kdaniels8811
August 18th, 2009, 09:39 AM
I use Meera and love it, I know it has detergents but makes my hair soft and shiny without drying it out and I can go five days without it getting greasy. I use it occasionaly, just to mix up what I am using. 95% of the time I use herbs (shikakia/aritha/amla) and catnip. No commercial product, shampoos or conditioners. I do use coconut oil religiously, I tried other oils which did not work for me. My color is from hendigo, a 50/50 mixture of each.

Aisha25
August 18th, 2009, 09:42 AM
sorraia
I was wondering if any of you use 100% herbs on your hair all of
the time? Meaning no commercially made products or if so what percent?

I do sometimes it depends on how much money I have :lol: If I have all my herbs then yes I do use nothing but them. They make my hair feel the same as conventional products.

And as far as getting the most shine which herbs besides amla are best to use?
For shine i'd have to say henna,coconut milk,oil,yoghurt,honey. All those make my hair super shiny.

Aisha I was wondering just how dark my hair can get using the Ayurvedic herbs
for darkening. (I love the color and shine of your hair, although I am not sure I could carry it off). Yesterday I mixed up my own brew of Bhringraj hair darkening oil
with the hopes it will make my hair healthier and darker. I eventually may opt to try a indigo/henna gloss.
Thank you im glad you like my hair:inlove: :love:
I dont really think your hairs will darken using herbs I tried for long time using all darkening ones and nothing. The only thing that got me even more dark hair was indigo. I use henna once a week so I was getting bright hair. Thats the only reason I started using indigo.

Also one last question, I think Aisha had mentioned using onion to help thinning hair.
I couldn't find the thread on it and was wondering how often does one have to use
the onion juice?
Yeah its an old traditonal indian remedy,so its not mentioned that much here. What you do is you take a cut onion and rub that peice into your thinning spots. Or if you have baby then when you shave the head rub the scalp with the onion till it becomes red. This is how my dad said he did to me. It makes hair more thicker.

Thank you in advance for any insight.

your welcome,I hope I helped you :flowers:

sorraia
August 18th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Aisha-
I wanted to say thank you very much for all of the great information you have shared. I have noted it all in my hair care notebook and even applied the onion juice to my scalp today. Although not pleasant to juice or wear I felt it was beneficial to my scalp. I hope to use it a couple of times a week( if I can stand it) with the hopes my hair comes back thicker. FYI there is lots of info on the internet where onion juice has helped many people w thinning hair. If this helps me I will be forever grateful.
Anyway I can't begin to tell you how much I have enjoyed reading this thread. You see I had purchased a bunch of these wonderful Indian herbs a few years back to use in addition to my hennindigo. I decided after reading your thread to dig them back out of my freezer and start using them again. A few years back there was girl on this forum ( or perhaps another long hair forum) who went by the name of Leia. She had the most beautiful long black hair(like yours). She too used henna and the herbs from India on her hair and her hair looked very beautiful, healthy and shiny. That is why I purchased the herbs in the first place. Plus I really liked the idea of going the natural route.
However In the past I never pre-oiled my hair and the henna made my hair a little on the dry side. My hair is still on the thin side and naturally curly however after using the herbs (and not oil conditioning first) my hair came out fuller but at the same time it took a lot of the curl out making it straighter. It didn't have the shine that I wanted either. My hair seemed to shed more as well so I phased out the henna and herbs. It wasn't until this past year when I decided to CO that my hair has begun to really turn around.
I wanted to give the herbs another chance now that I know how to use them.
Last week I followed the herbal protocol as suggested (at the beginning of this thread) oil first then I used Brahmi, Bhringraj, Amla, Fenugreek, chandan ect. My hair came out soft and shiny lwith added body and again it decreased my curl. I don't have a problem decreasing the curl for healthier, thicker, shinier hair. We shall see what happens as I proceed, so far so good.
Thanks again for sharing, it is greatly appreciated.

sorraia
August 18th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Kdaniel-

Thanks for the catnip tea suggestion and for sharing your natural hair care regime.
I really like the idea of getting away from using commercial products as much as possible.
I have never tried catnip tea before. I think I may have some catnip growing in my landscape. I plan to try it. I really like the baggy idea over a ponytail.
I've been using Mellie' soap nuts/ lime juice recipe for shampoo. Seems to be working out pretty good. Smells good too
Your hair looks very beautiful and healthy and so thick.
This gives me hope.

wahmof9
August 19th, 2009, 12:05 AM
I just had to share I went into town today and bought some more herbs YEAH:cheese:

ll
August 19th, 2009, 12:17 AM
i have just started trying various indian herbs for washing, and have found that they can darken my hair a little. i have light brown hair, which is blond in some areas from sun damage, as well as going gray at the temples. i think that it's the bhringraj and brahmi (centella asiatica / gotu kola, not bacopa monnieri which is also known as brahmi) that is darkening my hair a little. it washes out in one to two shampoos, though. it makes the overall color a bit more neutral in tone (less gold/warm), but really blends in the gray very nicely, better than rosemary.

HTH :flower:

Aisha25
August 19th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Aisha-
I wanted to say thank you very much for all of the great information you have shared. I have noted it all in my hair care notebook and even applied the onion juice to my scalp today. Although not pleasant to juice or wear I felt it was beneficial to my scalp. I hope to use it a couple of times a week( if I can stand it) with the hopes my hair comes back thicker. FYI there is lots of info on the internet where onion juice has helped many people w thinning hair. If this helps me I will be forever grateful.
Anyway I can't begin to tell you how much I have enjoyed reading this thread. You see I had purchased a bunch of these wonderful Indian herbs a few years back to use in addition to my hennindigo. I decided after reading your thread to dig them back out of my freezer and start using them again. A few years back there was girl on this forum ( or perhaps another long hair forum) who went by the name of Leia. She had the most beautiful long black hair(like yours). She too used henna and the herbs from India on her hair and her hair looked very beautiful, healthy and shiny. That is why I purchased the herbs in the first place. Plus I really liked the idea of going the natural route.
However In the past I never pre-oiled my hair and the henna made my hair a little on the dry side. My hair is still on the thin side and naturally curly however after using the herbs (and not oil conditioning first) my hair came out fuller but at the same time it took a lot of the curl out making it straighter. It didn't have the shine that I wanted either. My hair seemed to shed more as well so I phased out the henna and herbs. It wasn't until this past year when I decided to CO that my hair has begun to really turn around.
Last week I followed the herbal protocol as suggested (at the beginning of this thread) oil first then I used Brahmi, Bhringraj, Amla, Fenugreek, chandan ect. My hair came out soft and shiny lwith added body and again it decreased my curl. I don't have a problem decreasing the curl for healthier, thicker, shinier hair. We shall see what happens as I proceed, so far so good.

She was on longhair loom I think and here some before the big crash. Yes she has beautiful hair, she is what helped me to find info on alot of herbs like the chandan for smell and so on :thumbsup:

wahmof9
August 19th, 2009, 06:17 PM
She was on longhair loom I think and here some before the big crash. Yes she has beautiful hair, she is what helped me to find info on alot of herbs like the chandan for smell and so on :thumbsup:
Aisha what is chandan???

Aisha25
August 19th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Sandalwood powder :)

wahmof9
August 19th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Sandalwood powder :)
OOOh I am interested.. What does it do and where do you get it???

Aisha25
August 19th, 2009, 06:56 PM
It just adds in scent for your hair wash mixes its not important to use:) only if you fancy it at times ;)

sorraia
August 19th, 2009, 07:05 PM
More info on Chandan/ Sandalwood
I got mine from "From Nature With Love.
http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com
This is what their web site says about it:

Yellow sandalwood has the beautiful, deep woody scent of sandalwood. It has been used in Ayurvedic medicine to cool and calm the mind and body and as an antiseptic for the skin and scalp. The aroma of sandalwood has a sedative effect that can help with nervousness and insomnia. Sandalwood paste has been used to treat skin diseases, dry skin, premature wrinkling, acne and external infections. Yellow sandalwood powder can be used in facials, body powders, hair packs, soaps, salt scrubs, bath teas and bath salts.

Chloris
August 19th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Thanks so much for this information! It was exactly what I was looking for. I've been using shikakai for the past few months and have had great results (my hair is so soft and it is much less frizzy than it is when I use conventional shampoo & conditioner). I'm interested in trying amla and I'm just wondering if it has any effect on frizz-prone hair (either making it frizzier or less frizzy)?

hennaphile
August 20th, 2009, 06:12 PM
My hair is somewhat of an herbivore :laugh:

sorraia
August 21st, 2009, 11:09 AM
Hey Chloris-
Have you tried using coconut oil or EVOO on your hair to tame the frizzies?

I would say the Amla will make your hair less frizz prone.
It won't hurt to try it.
I would try the fenugreek ( for conditioning) as well, you should be able to easily find this at a local Indian store or maybe regular grocery store.
The other day I mixed up a blend of
Shikakai, fenugreek and Chandan. I didn't measure
and probably used a little less Shikakai, added some hot
water making a gravy like consistency. Well that day I didn't
get a chance to use it and so it had set out all day and night.
The next day when I went to goop it
out it was really slimy like. I was excited to see this.
I applied the mixture through my hair
and scalp and left it on for two hours.
My hair turned out to be silky soft and shiny. I didn't think I had any amla left
or I would have added this too. Playing with these herbs is fun.
I wonder by letting the mixture sit out for a while increased the conditioning properties?
Maybe our Master Herbal Hair Guru Aisha will know? :)

mira-chan
August 21st, 2009, 02:31 PM
Aisha-

Leia is on the Long Hair Loom, another forum. :flower:

Hey Chloris-

It won't hurt to try it.
I would try the fenugreek ( for conditioning) as well, you should be able to easily find this at a local Indian store or maybe regular grocery store.
My hair turned out to be silky soft and shiny. I didn't think I had any amla left
I wonder by letting the mixture sit out for a while increased the conditioning properties?
It's a good idea to let a mix with methi (fenugreek) or hibiscus powder sit a bit to let the mucilage activate fully and make it more conditioning before you put it on the hair. I'd say 2 hours to 10 hours is good, longer than a day and it may start spoiling.

Keeping it on longer also helps.

ChloeDharma
August 22nd, 2009, 10:07 AM
Leia is on the Long Hair Loom, another forum. :flower:

It's a good idea to let a mix with methi (fenugreek) or hibiscus powder sit a bit to let the mucilage activate fully and make it more conditioning before you put it on the hair. I'd say 2 hours to 10 hours is good, longer than a day and it may start spoiling.

Keeping it on longer also helps.

Yup, whenever i use methi for conditioning i mix it up the night before i plan to use it so that the mucilage has time to release. I think this allows the methi to be much more conditioning. I also notice that methi makes skin extreemely silky too.

Deborah
August 22nd, 2009, 11:38 AM
About this methi and mucilage; is this something we want in our hair? Isn't it heavily coating the hair? Does it have a similar effect to cones, where it doesn't allow air or cleansers to get right at the hair?

Or is it not as grabby and clingy as it sounds? Maybe it's the term 'mucilage' that makes it sound awful to me. It sounds way too much like 'mucous.' :confused:

Aisha25
August 22nd, 2009, 11:58 AM
Deborah its just like conditioner only natural

Deborah
August 22nd, 2009, 12:14 PM
Deborah its just like conditioner only natural

Really? That's nice to hear. I've used Amla with Shikakai, and I've used the Shikakai alone. I can't say I notice any difference. Is Methi more conditioning than Amla?

I tried adding Brahmi and Rose, but my hair ended up oddly dull and dry. I'm guessing it was the Brahmi, so I stopped using it. Is this an unusual reaction to Brahmi?

Sorry for so many questions. :o

ChloeDharma
August 22nd, 2009, 12:35 PM
Really? That's nice to hear. I've used Amla with Shikakai, and I've used the Shikakai alone. I can't say I notice any difference. Is Methi more conditioning than Amla?

I tried adding Brahmi and Rose, but my hair ended up oddly dull and dry. I'm guessing it was the Brahmi, so I stopped using it. Is this an unusual reaction to Brahmi?

Sorry for so many questions. :o

As far as i've found methi is far more conditioning than amla Like Aisha says, methi is just a natural conditioner, except i don't think i've found a conditioner as good as methi to be honest.
Some people can find it can build up.....i've not experienced this myself though.

hennaphile
August 22nd, 2009, 02:59 PM
I found methi to be incredibly conditioning, especially added to Indian herbs. I guess it makes up for the mess :p

Chloris
August 22nd, 2009, 10:27 PM
Hey Chloris-

It won't hurt to try it.

Thanks. I think I'll give amla a go then. I did try coconut oil on its own to help with the frizz, but it didn't really help my hair much on the hot & humid days, but I have also tried a blend of castor oil and coconut oil and that worked quite well for my hair. I have yet to try EVOO for my hair, but I probably should since I've always got some on hand.

Also, I was just wondering is the fenugreek/methi used for hair the same as the fenugreek used for cooking? (hmm, maybe I should be more specific, is it the leaf or the seed that's used for the hair? I'm assuming it's the leaf?)

mira-chan
August 22nd, 2009, 10:33 PM
Thanks. I think I'll give amla a go then. I did try coconut oil on its own to help with the frizz, but it didn't really help my hair much on the hot & humid days, but I have also tried a blend of castor oil and coconut oil and that worked quite well for my hair. I have yet to try EVOO for my hair, but I probably should since I've always got some on hand.

Also, I was just wondering is the fenugreek/methi used for hair the same as the fenugreek used for cooking? (hmm, maybe I should be more specific, is it the leaf or the seed that's used for the hair? I'm assuming it's the leaf?)
Methi seeds are used for hair, not the leaves. They are ground into powder before used, or whole seeds are ground after soeaking in water for a while.

Diamondbell
August 22nd, 2009, 11:56 PM
Methi seeds are used for hair, not the leaves. They are ground into powder before used, or whole seeds are ground after soeaking in water for a while.

Apart from Methi seeds, the fresh green leaves of Methi (fenugreek) can be used too - ground to a paste and applied on scalp before washing hair. This "lengthens hair, preserves the natural color and keeps the hair silky soft" according to H.K. Bakru, the author of the book"Foods That Heal". He is an expert on naturopathy.

HotRag
August 23rd, 2009, 07:15 AM
I got build up from methi and such as brahmi.
I think not if not used every time though.

I think my scalp wants other herbs, but hair don't want as much.

HotRag
August 23rd, 2009, 07:37 AM
Oh, I come to think about my last IHW wash.

I used shikakai, 4 TB with 1 teaspoon chandan and soaked in 300 ml catnip tea.

I checked the pH, and it was 3. Way to low for me. I wonder if it was the shikakai that made this. I used more of shikakai this time, not using as much of other herbs. I have only noticed such low pH from amla before.

Anyway, I put 2 teaspoons of baking soda in, got the pH up to 4,5.

Hair got cleaner and felt much better (not the doll hair feeling at all, that I get from acidic stuff).
Felt nice and soft.

Could not feel any squeekiness or so, I don't think the baking soda did hurt, or what do you think? Was this a good idea or bad?
It was the first time I got the IHW to wash exactly as I wanted, but I did not check my cuticle under a microscope... so I really don't know if they did rise.

mira-chan
August 23rd, 2009, 10:53 AM
Apart from Methi seeds, the fresh green leaves of Methi (fenugreek) can be used too - ground to a paste and applied on scalp before washing hair. This "lengthens hair, preserves the natural color and keeps the hair silky soft" according to H.K. Bakru, the author of the book"Foods That Heal". He is an expert on naturopathy.
Hmm... Thank you for telling me. I did not know that. :)

ChloeDharma
August 24th, 2009, 02:21 AM

I checked the pH, and it was 3. Way to low for me. I wonder if it was the shikakai that made this. I used more of shikakai this time, not using as much of other herbs. I have only noticed such low pH from amla before.

Hair got cleaner and felt much better (not the doll hair feeling at all, that I get from acidic stuff).
Felt nice and soft.

Could not feel any squeekiness or so, I don't think the baking soda did hurt, or what do you think? Was this a good idea or bad?
It was the first time I got the IHW to wash exactly as I wanted, but I did not check my cuticle under a microscope... so I really don't know if they did rise.

My caution with baking soda is the alkalinity, if your mix was 4.5 then i can't see any harm in using it....plus of course if the mix gave you good results then that's all you really need to know :)

HotRag
August 26th, 2009, 06:54 AM
My caution with baking soda is the alkalinity, if your mix was 4.5 then i can't see any harm in using it....plus of course if the mix gave you good results then that's all you really need to know :)
Yes, I was a bit afraid of it's alkalinity, but the blend was not alkaline.
I was not sure if baking soda could be bad anyway.

I really would like a microscope... haven't bought any... yet...

My hair wants pH 5-6.5 so pH 3 is surely too acidic.
I can never use amla or other sour stuff in IHW. Quick ACV can be good (I always rinse it away after though). Yogurt is great (I don't know what pH it has, but hair loves it).

Tracionera
August 26th, 2009, 08:08 AM
I just came back from New Delhi, India and my friend there got me a lot of ritha, shikakai and amla powders. I'm super excited to try them out. I have fenugreek seeds in my kitchen as well.

Can I simply grind the fenugreek seeds in my coffee grinder or do they need to soak first?

wahmof9
August 26th, 2009, 08:47 AM

Felt nice and soft.

Wow, this is quite scientific and interesting!

Chloris
August 26th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Can I simply grind the fenugreek seeds in my coffee grinder or do they need to soak first?

I'm wondering the exact same thing...

Catladyintown
August 26th, 2009, 09:25 AM
I just came back from New Delhi, India and my friend there got me a lot of ritha, shikakai and amla powders. I'm super excited to try them out. I have fenugreek seeds in my kitchen as well.

Hi Tracionera and Chloris I just grind my whole fenugreek seeds in my coffee grinder.
I do not soak them. HTH

HotRag
August 26th, 2009, 01:08 PM

Grind them first, but let the powder soak until it swells and give mucilage.

Grind them really fine, so they can be rinsed out easier.

hmmm
August 28th, 2009, 05:23 AM
I bought Shikakai and Ritha powders too today! How long am I supposed to leave them on if I oil my hair before? I have really short hair, about chin length.

Tracionera
August 28th, 2009, 06:46 AM
Thanks Catladyintown and HotRag!

I shall have to try this soon, perhaps once my henna settles and oxidizes.

I did read the entire thread, but I'm forgetting some things, so I have some more questions. Please excuse my ignorance. :o

My hair is almost TB length, so would 2TBS of each ritha, skikakai, amla and fenugreek be too much or too little?

The instructions on one of my shikakai boxes says to add 2 spoons to one glass of water and sieve it after 2 -3 hours, or boil it for quick use. What seems to be the best method?

I forget if I read this earlier in the thread, but can I use something like catnip tea as the liquid?

What consistency am I looking for? Yogurt-like or thinner?

When applying, should it be done in sections, like henna, or can I just massage the paste into my scalp and hair?

Also, should I do any test strips with the amla? Would any of the darkening wash away?

Aisha25
August 28th, 2009, 08:56 AM
I bought Shikakai and Ritha powders too today! How long am I supposed to leave them on if I oil my hair before? I have really short hair, about chin length.
Its hard to say really cause everyones hair absorbs it all differently plus it depends how much oil you used. I use alot of oil everyday so I have to use a strong mix. I say apply it for 10mins then add little water at a time when washing it out with water,since you have short hair it wont take so much time.

hmmm
August 28th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Thanks Aisha. I love your hair btw, how long did it take you to grow it that long?

Aisha25
August 28th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Ohff I had to cut it in 2000 and since then it hasnt been cut since so about 7 years for it to grow this long and over 2 years to make it look this way again like when I was a small girl.

Catladyintown
August 28th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Hi Tracionera here are two of my post in my blogs. I use a lot of herbs for my long hair and it barely covers all of it.
Also I now like putting the herb mix on wet hair it goes on a lot easier.:D I usually make the herb mix like gravy.HTH

Posted August 26th, 2009 at 07:49 AM http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/images/misc/blog/user_comment.gif Comments (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=52517#comments) 0

Posted in Uncategorized (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?u=1763&blogcategoryid=-1)
I just use mainly what I have at hand with herbs.
4 Tbsp Amla
1 Tbsp Dulse Leaf
1 1/4 Tbsp Fenugreek
1 Tbsp Kelp
1 Tsp Neem
2 Tbsp Sandalwood
1 Tsp Shikakai
Distilled water.
I found distilled water works very good on my hair because in Tucson we have very hard water

Posted August 15th, 2009 at 01:17 AM

Okay I tried my new Fantastic Ayurveda recipe for shampoo to get the Carmel hair treatment out and it work so good.:cheese: I can't believe how nice my hair turned out. I am not sure if it is from the powder shampoo or from the Carmel treatment. But my hair is very soft and shinny with bounce.
Recipe for hip length hair:
4 Tbsp Amla
3 Tbsp Brahmi
2 Tbsp Neem
1 Tbsp Shikakai
2 Tbsp Red Sandalwood
I mixed everything together before I add the hot water. Let the mix set for 30 minutes and then applied the mix to dry hair, scalp and length of hair. Kept the Ayurveda shampoo mix on for two hours. Then rinse with plain water.
I think next time I will put the mix on wet hair and see if it goes on smoother. Also I forgot to mention the hair mix made my gray hairs a lot darker.:cheese:

hmmm
August 29th, 2009, 06:54 AM
So, Aisha, I take that to mean that your hair wasn't always that fabulous? Was it ever damaged? You were able to reverse the damage without cutting it?
Sorry for all the questions, but its just incredible looking.
Also, how long will it take for my hair to get used to any new regime (like herbal or non-sls shampoo)? I used some herbal shampoo I got the other day, and although it was great right after it's acting strange and more greasy than usual now...

kdaniels8811
August 29th, 2009, 09:55 AM
It usually takes a couple weeks for your hair to adjust to a new routine. I used to wash every other day (oily scalp) and when I tried to stretch the time between shampoos, it was greasy for a few days. Took a couple/few weeks to adjust. Then I started using herbs. Definately different, my hair was not squeaky clean any more! That took some getting used to. Changing a routine takes time, good luck with what you try and let us know how you do.

Tracionera
August 29th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Hi Tracionera here are two of my post in my blogs. I use a lot of herbs for my long hair and it barely covers all of it.
Also I now like putting the herb mix on wet hair it goes on a lot easier.:D I usually make the herb mix like gravy.HTH

Thanks Catladyintown for the recipes. I don't have all of those herbs on hand, but that gives me an idea on how much to use.

I know you mentioned that you apply the herb mix to wet hair, but do you ever apply them to your hair after oiling?

How often do you do this?

Should I avoid amla if I don't want to darken my hair, or will the darkening wash out?

Aisha25
August 29th, 2009, 11:25 AM
So, Aisha, I take that to mean that your hair wasn't always that fabulous? Was it ever damaged? You were able to reverse the damage without cutting it?
Sorry for all the questions, but its just incredible looking.
Also, how long will it take for my hair to get used to any new regime (like herbal or non-sls shampoo)? I used some herbal shampoo I got the other day, and although it was great right after it's acting strange and more greasy than usual now...
Before 2000 I had my hair bleached I had cut most of it off and just let it grow to where it is now. It had some damage and yes I nursed it back to health thats why it took 2 years of henna oils and lots of other treatments. Now my hair is better than when I was little girl.

Your hair is going to take some time to get used to the change you just have to have patience and deal with oily hair at first I just braided them and forgot about it and thought the more I wait the better they will look. It takes time but it gets better just do one thing and stick to it so hairs and scalp get used to it. If you keep changing youll have hair loss or dandruff.

tangocurl
August 29th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Before 2000 I had my hair bleached I had cut most of it off and just let it grow to where it is now. It had some damage and yes I nursed it back to health thats why it took 2 years of henna oils and lots of other treatments. Now my hair is better than when I was little girl.

I'm still amazed at how much length you've achieved in that amount of time...curious...to which herb or routine do you attribute your growth rate? Or is it genetic for you?

Your hair is going to take some time to get used to the change you just have to have patience and deal with oily hair at first I just braided them and forgot about it and thought the more I wait the better they will look. It takes time but it gets better just do one thing and stick to it so hairs and scalp get used to it. If you keep changing youll have hair loss or dandruff.

That's very interesting. Two years ago coconut oil did not seem to soak into my hair. It made it crunchy and greasy. I set it aside and just kept up with two major changes to my routine; no hairdryer and no sulfate shampoo, and cut off a couple inches of damage here and there. NOW my hair seems to really like the coconut oil. Hair really does take time...and is worth it!

Aisha25
August 29th, 2009, 11:43 AM
I'm still amazed at how much length you've achieved in that amount of time...curious...to which herb or routine do you attribute your growth rate? Or is it genetic for you?

Its genetic, all my familys hair grows an inch a month in winter slower in summer for some reason.

That's very interesting. Two years ago coconut oil did not seem to soak into my hair. It made it crunchy and greasy. I set it aside and just kept up with two major changes to my routine; no hairdryer and no sulfate shampoo, and cut off a couple inches of damage here and there. NOW my hair seems to really like the coconut oil. Hair really does take time...and is worth it!

Definitly :thumbsup:

hmmm
August 29th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Faster in winter? That's a little odd, my hair grows like mad in hot weather.
Thanks for all the info, it's really interesting, I've always wanted to have long hair but I thought it was too much of a bother. But now it seems like I have all the information I didn't have then, so I have no more excuses! It's not even like short hair takes less maintenance, you have to wash it more often and it gets really dirty really fast. It's also a lot easier to abuse and you have to take care of it more...
Its very inspiring how you nursed your hair back to health, I would just cut off the offending lengths. I've never heard of henna oils, do you make them or are they available for sale?

Chloris
August 29th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Grind them first, but let the powder soak until it swells and give mucilage.

Grind them really fine, so they can be rinsed out easier.

I tried fenugreek in my hair the other day for the first time and I will say that I second grinding them really fine... I had quite a hard time rinsing it out.

Redheaded Raven
August 29th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Aisha
Thank you so much for the Thread :D it is very helpful

Spring
August 29th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Aisha,
I have very dark hair (black/dark brown) and would like to keep it dark but would like your opinion of the gloss powder. Would that herb change my hair color and would it strengthen my hair. Thanks.

Catladyintown
August 29th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Thanks Catladyintown for the recipes. I don't have all of those herbs on hand, but that gives me an idea on how much to use.

I know you mentioned that you apply the herb mix to wet hair, but do you ever apply them to your hair after oiling?

How often do you do this?

Should I avoid amla if I don't want to darken my hair, or will the darkening wash out?

Hi Tracionera I always oil my hair heavy before I do a herb wash. I usually oil a lot the night before I do my herb wash. I do my herb washes once a week, so oiling is also once a week. That I learned from Aisha.:D Also I learned from Ktani:D Catnip rinse 3 times a week to prevent split ends. Amla wash right out. If your worried about Amla just leave it out and use Fenugreek instead .HTH

BunnyBee
August 30th, 2009, 02:21 AM
I did a sort of experiment wash the other day.. tuesday I think - using about a spoon each of amla, kalpi tone and cassia - worked a treat, my hair still looks freshly washed today (sunday) Not sure if theres anything in there that shouldn't be mixed though.. I should probably have oiled a little more beforehand, but I'll rememebr next time :) Only problem is getting the "mud" out without conditioner (i'm using catnip). Would it still work as well if I made the paste more liquid and strained it?:)

Tracionera
August 30th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Hi Tracionera I always oil my hair heavy before I do a herb wash. I usually oil a lot the night before I do my herb wash. I do my herb washes once a week, so oiling is also once a week. That I learned from Aisha.:D Also I learned from Ktani:D Catnip rinse 3 times a week to prevent split ends. Amla wash right out. If your worried about Amla just leave it out and use Fenugreek instead .HTH

Thanks for the reply! :D

I think I'll try this tonight/tomorrow as I'm due for an oiling and a wash. I may do a test strand with amla, though, before using it on my freshly hennaed, and already darker, hair.

I've got two catnip plants growing in the window, the small one is starting to bloom and the other one is just big and leafy. I'll have to start trimming them for steeping and rinses. :)

Aisha25
August 30th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Aisha,
I have very dark hair (black/dark brown) and would like to keep it dark but would like your opinion of the gloss powder. Would that herb change my hair color and would it strengthen my hair. Thanks.
Are you talking about indigo gloss??

Spring
August 30th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Well, I'm not quite sure, I thought I heard someone say something about using Indian herbs for gloss. I heard indigo by itself gives a bluish highlight, and henna is a red coloring, so both of these outcomes would not be my goal, I thought someone said there was a herb that just gave a gloss. I looked on the internet last night and couldn't find any herb that was just for shine and condition, am I mistaken?

tangocurl
August 30th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Well, I'm not quite sure, I thought I heard someone say something about using Indian herbs for gloss. I heard indigo by itself gives a bluish highlight, and henna is a red coloring, so both of these outcomes would not be my goal, I thought someone said there was a herb that just gave a gloss. I looked on the internet last night and couldn't find any herb that was just for shine and condition, am I mistaken?

Maybe you were thinking of cassia: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=406

HTH :)

indigonight
August 31st, 2009, 03:35 PM
Aisha I wanted to ask how you get all the oil out of your hair using areetha washes?
I do heavy oiling and recently started using indian herbs to wash my hair (areetha+ shikakai) but find my hair still stays greasy....I wonder what I am doing wrong :-(
I have been mixing the paste and then applying to dry hair leaving for 15 minutes...do I need to rub the paste in a lot and what consistency should the paste be? runny or thick? also for hip length hair how much do I need? I tried the indian ayurvedic herbs mixes on the articles page written by mira-chan violet flowers etc and they say to use 2 tbsp areetha 2 shikakai 1 amla but I'm finding this is not enough to cover all my hair....
any advice would be great as my constantly greasy hair is driving me crazy!!!

Aisha25
August 31st, 2009, 03:42 PM
Aisha I wanted to ask how you get all the oil out of your hair using areetha washes?
I do heavy oiling and recently started using indian herbs to wash my hair (areetha+ shikakai) but find my hair still stays greasy....I wonder what I am doing wrong :-(
I have been mixing the paste and then applying to dry hair leaving for 15 minutes...do I need to rub the paste in a lot and what consistency should the paste be? runny or thick? also for hip length hair how much do I need? I tried the indian ayurvedic herbs mixes on the articles page written by mira-chan violet flowers etc and they say to use 2 tbsp areetha 2 shikakai 1 amla but I'm finding this is not enough to cover all my hair....
any advice would be great as my constantly greasy hair is driving me crazy!!!
Ohh I would go mad with oily hair. I use whole aritha and I steep like 2 handfuls of the pods for 4 hours this is enough to clean my hair better than any shampoo. Now if I was using the powder shikakai/aritha I would do 6 tablespoons cause I drench my hair in oil so I need alot of cleaning powder.

What you can do is make it runny thick like loose yoghurt when stirred thats a good consistensy and then leave for 20mins hop in the shower and pour handfuls of water through my hair massaging the hair together to get it clean keep doing this then rinse it all out with warm water.

Hope that helps you!

HotRag
September 1st, 2009, 02:34 AM
indigonight: I leave my herb gravy on for two hours, bagged and a towel turban over that. And I use 4 TB of shikakai for a bit longer than waist. Last time 3 TB shikakai soaked in a liquid from 4 steeped whole aritha, and some baking powder that makes pH more good for my hair (want not lower than 5).

It seems as some people has hard to get rid of the oils.
My hair can take a lot of oil, but the part that is the "over oil" is very hard to get rid off.

Aisha: My hair also grows most in winter. This summer it has really grown slooow, almost stalling.

indigonight
September 1st, 2009, 04:55 AM
thanks aisha and hotrag... I really appreciate the great advice I will try once more today to get this oil out!
I will change the consistency of the paste, use more and try to leave the herbs on for longer and pray to get this oil out.... ewww I hate overly-oily hair.

hotrag even my hair is slow to grow in summer, I think it is to do with the weather!
I've read that it is supposed to grow more in summer but I feel I get more growth in winter. I feel a bit like my cat who sheds his fur in summer only to fluff up again for winter LOL!

sorraia
September 1st, 2009, 09:44 AM
Ok...I have reached a point where
I am seriously thinking about doing a henna/ indigo/amla ritual on Sept 8th.
I would greatly appreciate any advice in preparation. It's been about 5 years
since I used henna last.
I am thinking it would be best to do the heavy oiling/bath the night before with the hopes
of my hair not becoming dry from the process.
I am leaning towards buying the Yemen henna from Mehandi
and doing a blend of 40% henna 40% Indigo and 20% amla.
My hair has been thinning and breaking off easily and I am hoping
by making the switch my hair will become stronger and healthier,
and of course richer in color. I also hope not to loose to much of my curls.
My natural color is medium dk brown, fine thin with 3a type curls with about 10% gray.
I want to avoid the reddish tones and stick with a cool dark brown without going to dark.
I thank you in advance for any suggestions.
Also open to doing a gloss with the above recipe but not sure the color would hold?

HotRag
September 1st, 2009, 12:01 PM
hotrag even my hair is slow to grow in summer, I think it is to do with the weather!
I've read that it is supposed to grow more in summer but I feel I get more growth in winter. I feel a bit like my cat who sheds his fur in summer only to fluff up again for winter LOL!
I have shed more during this summer too. Not VERY much, but increased with 30 %.

Aisha25
September 1st, 2009, 12:05 PM
Ok...I have reached a point where
I am seriously thinking about doing a henna/ indigo/amla ritual on Sept 8th.
I would greatly appreciate any advice in preparation. It's been about 5 years
since I used henna last.
I am thinking it would be best to do the heavy oiling/bath the night before with the hopes
of my hair not becoming dry from the process.
I am leaning towards buying the Yemen henna from Mehandi
and doing a blend of 40% henna 40% Indigo and 20% amla.
My hair has been thinning and breaking off easily and I am hoping
by making the switch my hair will become stronger and healthier,
and of course richer in color. I also hope not to loose to much of my curls.
My natural color is medium dk brown, fine thin with 3a type curls with about 10% gray.
I want to avoid the reddish tones and stick with a cool dark brown without going to dark.
I thank you in advance for any suggestions.
Also open to doing a gloss with the above recipe but not sure the color would hold?

I do not know my hair doesnt hold on to glosses it always fades out and never gives me the conditioning I experience with pure henna. Maybe if you use yoghurt as the base for it instead of conditioner it will help it condition your hair?

Someone who has better experience will come in :)

wizboo
September 2nd, 2009, 05:08 AM
wow- this is all so helpful, i mght try this or herbal rinses one day! Thank you so much aisha- you have enlightened me, and BTW I love your avatar, you have beautiful hair!!

wizboo
September 2nd, 2009, 05:09 AM
thanks so much, i might try this one day! Aisha your hair is beautiful!

indigonight
September 2nd, 2009, 07:46 AM
Aisha,
I can tell you how to an indigo gloss if you are interested??

Aisha25
September 2nd, 2009, 08:26 AM
:inlove: Thank you very much wizboo :flowers: im glad you find it helpful :D

sorraia
September 2nd, 2009, 10:04 AM
Thank You Aisha-
I am planning on doing a gloss to prevent dryness and perhaps later ease
into regular henna application to darken if I so choose.
I did some research on applying a Hennindigo gloss and at this point
I am unsure which would be best for my hair using yogurt, or conditioner or flax gel as a base and for how long to leave it in my hair. It probably doesn't make that much of a difference which base I use however timing is probably important. I like the idea of my grays turning golden color, and my over all hair darkening a shade or two. I am leaning towards using the flax gel method and leaving it on for one hour
We shall see.

Deborah
September 2nd, 2009, 10:58 PM
Question concerning Methi. I shopped for Methi today at two Indian grocery stores. I assumed I would find it among the Hesh products, or perhaps another brand of Methi hair powder. I did not find it there.

I found and bought a bag of Methi powder that was being sold as a cooking herb. Is this the right thing?

Also, I use about one tablespoon of Shikakai. How much Methi would I use with this to achieve good conditioning? The same amount? More? Less?

Any help will be very much appreciated. :flower:

Gulbahar
September 3rd, 2009, 02:58 AM
Question concerning Methi. I shopped for Methi today at two Indian grocery stores. I assumed I would find it among the Hesh products, or perhaps another brand of Methi hair powder. I did not find it there.

I found and bought a bag of Methi powder that was being sold as a cooking herb. Is this the right thing?
It's the same. I never even knew before coming here that you could use the stuff on your hair. I always had it on my spice board. :p

mira-chan
September 3rd, 2009, 06:18 AM

Also, I use about one tablespoon of Shikakai. How much Methi would I use with this to achieve good conditioning? The same amount? More? Less?

Any help will be very much appreciated. :flower:
It's always in the cooking part. So that's normal. It should be a pale yellowish powder.

I use 2 to 4 table spoons to cover all of my hair. If it's in a mix, I use less. With 1 table spoon shikakai I might go with two of methi. It will give a conditioner consistency to the mix if you let it sit for an hour or a bit more.

sorraia
September 3rd, 2009, 07:48 AM
Hey Deborah-

I am not sure if you are aware of this or not but when shopping for Methi keep in mind it is also called Fenugreek, which is the methi seeds ground to a powder.

Deborah
September 3rd, 2009, 04:38 PM
Hey Deborah-

I am not sure if you are aware of this or not but when shopping for Methi keep in mind it is also called Fenugreek, which is the methi seeds ground to a powder.

Thanks. I knew they were the same thing, but I did not know that Methi is sold only in the cooking aisle. I thought it would be in a small box like the other herbs that Hesh sells. I did buy some from the cooking aisle; I just wanted to be sure that what I bought is the right thing to use. Sounds like it is, so I'm ready to go on Saturday!

Thanks to all who responded. I'm ready now to use Methi mixed in with Shikakai. :cheese:

Spring
September 3rd, 2009, 04:53 PM
I can tell you how to an indigo gloss if you are interested??

Hi Indigonight. I was looking for something that wouldn't give a red or blue highlight. Would the indigo gloss still be a good idea? If it is, I would love to hear your suggestions. Thanx :)

indigonight
September 4th, 2009, 06:58 AM
spring I have PMed you
x

chickpea
September 6th, 2009, 01:17 PM
This thread is so helpful! I have tried indian herbs before but found the mixture to be too drying, even with a pre-wash oiling. Yesterday I experimented with adding methi to the mix, and it made a big difference with ease of application, and less drying.

What I did: stirred 1 tablespoon each of shikakai, aritha, amla, bhringraj, and methi into 1 cup water and let it stand for a few hours, until it thickened to a yogurt-y consistency. During this time I also brewed up catnip tea and soaked my hair in coconut & avocado oils.

I applied the herb mix to dry hair, concentrating on the scalp and crown of my head and avoiding the ends. I put a plastic cap on and let the herbs stew for a good half hour or so, then got in the shower and rinsed them out. Methi makes it so much easier to rinse, and my hair did not feel stripped or dry. I then squeezed the excess water out, dunked the ends/length in catnip tea and covered my hair again for an hour. Rinsed out the catnip tea, put a blob of Jessicurl Aloeba on the ends, and applied Kinky Curly Curling Cream for styling & frizz control.

I hope to eventually replace the Aloeba with an herbal alternative to conditioner. Oiling alone is not enough, my hair needs the detangling/smoothing properties of conditioner. Has anyone found a satisfactory replacement for conditioner while using herbs to wash? My hair is wavy and tends to be dry if that helps.

Zombiekins
September 6th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Has anyone found a satisfactory replacement for conditioner while using herbs to wash?

Nothing is going to replace conditioner for me simply because of occasional time constraints and it making the rinsing process of henna easier. But I can say that when I do catnip soaks my hair is ridiculous afterward. In fact, I can't put it on my scalp because the catnip will make it so soft as to appear (and feel) oily again. Using it on my length is so conditioning it's almost a little flattening, I'm going to experiment a little to see if I can restore some body after rinsing.

If you've got time on your side after washings, I think herbs really can replace conditioner. I still oil, though, as my hair needs a little something extra for the day after washing. Oh, and I noticed yesterday that the catnip I allowed to brew pretty much overnight was a lot stronger in color, smell, and conditioning power than my normal "brewed until cool" catnip tea.

I look forward to methi experiments in the future. My local indian grocery sells giant bags of methi leaves for $10.

chickpea
September 7th, 2009, 07:31 AM
Nothing is going to replace conditioner for me simply because of occasional time constraints and it making the rinsing process of henna easier. But I can say that when I do catnip soaks my hair is ridiculous afterward. In fact, I can't put it on my scalp because the catnip will make it so soft as to appear (and feel) oily again. Using it on my length is so conditioning it's almost a little flattening, I'm going to experiment a little to see if I can restore some body after rinsing.

If you've got time on your side after washings, I think herbs really can replace conditioner. I still oil, though, as my hair needs a little something extra for the day after washing. Oh, and I noticed yesterday that the catnip I allowed to brew pretty much overnight was a lot stronger in color, smell, and conditioning power than my normal "brewed until cool" catnip tea.

I look forward to methi experiments in the future. My local indian grocery sells giant bags of methi leaves for $10.

Interesting, maybe I just need to let my catnip tea brew a bit longer for better results. I usually let it sit for 2 hours before straining.

I really like the idea of using plant based concoctions and oils on my hair, and want to keep doing this if the results are positive.

kdaniels8811
September 7th, 2009, 04:59 PM
I steep the catnip tea for 9 hours - while I am at work. Put it on the ponytail (length of my hair) and bag it for a half hour, then apply stewed herbs to the scalp , put a bag over that and let it sit another half hour. My herbs are usually "stewing" while I am waiting for the catnip to do it's magic. And magic it does! It works better than anything I have ever tried. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Zombiekins
September 9th, 2009, 06:53 PM
*looks around for Aisha25* Question?! :)

I saw you mention in this thread (?) or another thread that herb washing after hennaing can leech some color (and have noticed it myself), but I'm still willing to give it a go. I was wondering how long I should wait, post-henna, before washing my hair with herbs? Just to make sure it won't pull any of the fresh color.....

chickpea
September 9th, 2009, 07:14 PM
I steep the catnip tea for 9 hours - while I am at work. Put it on the ponytail (length of my hair) and bag it for a half hour, then apply stewed herbs to the scalp , put a bag over that and let it sit another half hour. My herbs are usually "stewing" while I am waiting for the catnip to do it's magic. And magic it does! It works better than anything I have ever tried. Good luck and let us know how you do.

The all day brewing is a great idea, I usually heat water for tea in the morning anyway.

I did another herb wash, which did not turn out very well. I followed the same washing method as before, but this time my hair became tangled and knotted. The only difference I can think of was that I left out the bhringraj, but don't know if that was the reason or my hair just decided to be weird. I did a catnip tea soak, but it wasn't enough to remove the tangles, so I ended up using some AO honeysuckle rose conditioner.

I'll try again in a few days with a stronger catnip brew, and more conditioning herbs in the mix. Perhaps a lesser amount of aritha and shikakai would help also.

Aisha25
September 9th, 2009, 10:24 PM
*looks around for Aisha25* Question?! :)

I saw you mention in this thread (?) or another thread that herb washing after hennaing can leech some color (and have noticed it myself), but I'm still willing to give it a go. I was wondering how long I should wait, post-henna, before washing my hair with herbs? Just to make sure it won't pull any of the fresh color.....
It was right after hennaing your not supposed to wash your hair the day after henna cause it needs time to settle. I usually wait a week after a henna to wash my hair but anywhere from 2 days after will be fine :)

kayes
September 10th, 2009, 03:37 AM
I've never tried this before. I have shikakai powder and aritha powder (and some whole soapnuts i bought to try in the laundry) and amla from when I henna. I was thinking I might give it a try with a 1:1 mix of shikakai and amla. I have evoo and some coconut oil, so I could put that in my hair, leave it in a few hours and then use the herbs to wash it out. I have henna-ed and I know that I use between 100-200g of powder to get a fairly thick paste, but you've mentioned using more like 4 tbsp of powder, so I imagine that in order to cover all my hair it would be a pretty runny mixture. First, am I right about that? Should I be mixing it in with something other than water (oils, or I read people mentioned yogurt or coconut milk... I don't have any, but I could get some and try this later instead). I've seen people mentioned they boil up the hebs in liquid and then apply it to their hair in the shower, like shampoo and then just rinse it out.... Are there are a lot of different ways people do it, and if so are some better than others (obviously everyone's hair is different, but are some inherently better)? Thanks

kdaniels8811
September 10th, 2009, 03:46 AM
I find the runnier the mixture, the easier to apply and rinse out. It is recommended to leave the herbs on your scalp for 10-20 minutes - use a shower cap so it is not running down your face! - to give the herbs a chance to do their job.

kayes
September 10th, 2009, 05:15 AM
Thanks. I'll give that a try. Some people have mentioned catnip, and I'd really like to give that a try. I don't suppose anyone would know where to get some in the UK. I tried looking it up in google and all I can find are either seeds or when I type in "catnip leaves" I get pet products (are those ok to use assuming it is just a box of leaves, or do I need catnip tea? )

kayes
September 10th, 2009, 05:42 AM
Nevermind.... I think I figured this out. I bought some leaves and blossoms meant for cats. Hopefully that will work :)

indigonight
September 10th, 2009, 08:39 AM
KAYES

In the UK I got mine at my local pet store initially and then later I found NEAL's Yard sell it and it is the freshest quality much better than the pet store so try that....

kayes
September 10th, 2009, 08:57 AM
KAYES

In the UK I got mine at my local pet store initially and then later I found NEAL's Yard sell it and it is the freshest quality much better than the pet store so try that....

Thanks so much... I'll give that a try. :)

Zombiekins
September 10th, 2009, 09:32 AM
It was right after hennaing your not supposed to wash your hair the day after henna cause it needs time to settle. I usually wait a week after a henna to wash my hair but anywhere from 2 days after will be fine :)

Thanks! :) It's now the fifth day since hennaing and I was hoping to use the wash I mixed up last week tomorrow. Last time I had to throw it out because it sat around for 10 days or something and looked a little weird.

nmarie33
September 10th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Thanks for this thread!

I've been doing WO for four months now. It was going very well for quite some time, but recently my hair has just become more and more nasty, to the point where I'm never having good hair days no matter what I do. So I thought I would try washing with Shikakai/amla mix.

My question is, how often do you need to wash with these herbs? If I could get away with doing a wash every month or even two months and just water rinsing in between to keep some of the benefits of WO, that would be good. Anyone do something similar?

Also, from what I'm seeing a good plan would be to super coconut oil everything for a few hours, then rub the paste in real good and sleep on it all night. Am I correct here?

Thanks, I've never done herbs before except a one-time failed experiment with cassia, so I'm a newb in this area!

loyaboya
September 10th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Thanks for this thread!

I've been doing WO for four months now. It was going very well for quite some time, but recently my hair has just become more and more nasty, to the point where I'm never having good hair days no matter what I do. So I thought I would try washing with Shikakai/amla mix.

My question is, how often do you need to wash with these herbs? If I could get away with doing a wash every month or even two months and just water rinsing in between to keep some of the benefits of WO, that would be good. Anyone do something similar?

Also, from what I'm seeing a good plan would be to super coconut oil everything for a few hours, then rub the paste in real good and sleep on it all night. Am I correct here?

Thanks, I've never done herbs before except a one-time failed experiment with cassia, so I'm a newb in this area!

I don't see any reason why you couldn't try stretching the washes that long. The only thing is that I really wouldn't leave it in overnight. I probably only leave mine on for 5 minutes in the shower. I think many folks wait up to 20, but the herbs actually work pretty quick. Get it all through... focus on your scalp... get some gritty scrubby action going and you're ready to rinse!

Good luck!

nmarie33
September 10th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Oh ok, I thought people were leaving the herb pastes on for a really long time. Thanks!

Aisha25
September 10th, 2009, 02:10 PM
I do that cause I oil alot alot and im lazy so I like to leave it on over night :)

nmarie33
September 11th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Thanks Aisha. I'm excited to try some herbs! Hopefully they arrive soon, my hair is feeling so nasty that I want to try something new asap.

ktani
September 11th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Nevermind.... I think I figured this out. I bought some leaves and blossoms meant for cats. Hopefully that will work :)

There are great pet catnip brands out there. This is the brand I use, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hagen-Catit-Catnip-Garden-14g_W0QQitemZ310162198597QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet _Supplies_Cats?hash=item48371b9045&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262

You should be able to find it in a pet store. The brand is international. Or one similar.

bunnikins
September 16th, 2009, 02:57 AM
It is a great thread! I am planing on using herbs for my hair so this will help a lot!

chickpea
September 17th, 2009, 07:33 AM
I did another herb wash, this time with more success. I used 1 cup of water with1 tablespoon each of amla, bhringraj, and methi, plus 1 1/2 teaspoons of aritha and shikakai. Reducing the amount of cleansing herbs made it less drying, and I think the bhringraj does make a difference.

I brewed catnip tea overnight, and soaked my hair in it after washing. I got better conditioning this time, but still had tangles and could not comb through my hair. I used about a teaspoon of Aloeba as a leave-in, which is still better than the handfuls of conditioner I used to need to detangle.

kdaniels8811
September 17th, 2009, 09:45 AM
I think you need to do the catnip soak a few times before you see great results. Anything that interferes with catnip absorbtion - oils, conditioners, etc, will also cause the catnip not to work as well. With that said, I clarified my length and it took a half dozen catnip soaks to get my hair soft and well conditioned since the clarifying took off all the oils and left my hair dry. Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.

wahmof9
September 17th, 2009, 02:02 PM
I think you need to do the catnip soak a few times before you see great results. Anything that interferes with catnip absorbtion - oils, conditioners, etc, will also cause the catnip not to work as well. With that said, I clarified my length and it took a half dozen catnip soaks to get my hair soft and well conditioned since the clarifying took off all the oils and left my hair dry. Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.
Kdaniels, do you oil your ends? If so, do you put the catnip on straight or what do you do?

I have using your method, catnip ends, herbal mix on head....just wondering if I am missing something:)

kdaniels8811
September 17th, 2009, 07:11 PM
I do oil my ends, after I have rinsed the catnip out! Just a tiny bit and it soaks in by the time I am ready to wash again - every four days or so.

wahmof9
September 18th, 2009, 12:17 AM
I do oil my ends, after I have rinsed the catnip out! Just a tiny bit and it soaks in by the time I am ready to wash again - every four days or so.
Thank you!

Tangerine
September 22nd, 2009, 02:40 PM
I have decided to give Indian herbs a try as well :)

I was planning to add some chandan to my mix purely for its scent but the company I ordered my herb powders from didn't stock that. It did have pooja powder.

Does anybody know if that sandalwood is similar to chandan? Is it the fragrant kind or not? Is it worth adding some of it to my mix or shall I not bother ordering some?

TIA:cheer:

pixiedoo
September 30th, 2009, 06:16 AM
This is a great thread :)

I hope it is ok to post this question here as this seems to be where everyone who knows their stuff about indian herbs hangs out!!

I have been getting great results with reducing shedding using Nightshade's Nightblooming essential oil mix. My hair has gone from shedding like crazy to hardly shedding at all, in fact I think it's shed rate is now way below normal. Since finding the LHC the condition of my hair has drastically improved and it is really starting to thicken up. Henna and indigo has made a huge difference as well and I am so pleased I no longer have to resort to chemicals to hide my grey.

I am about to order some more henna and the place where I get it from has indian herb oils for sale. I have used amla as a conditioning treatment with good results and thought I might give these oils a try to alternate with my EO mix. It says on the website that both are meant to improve har condition and promote thick, healthy hair.

They have a Bhringraj oil that has the following ingredients:

Ingredients : Organic Sesame oil 55%, organic Sunflower oil 20%, Bhrami extract 11%, Bhringraj extract 5%, Jatamansi 3%, organic Almond oil 3%, Basil oil 2%, Lavender oil 1%, infused with whole cardamom seeds

and a Amla oil that contains:

Ingredients : Amla extract 15%, Sesame oil (organic) 65%, Shikakai extract 5%, Almond oil (organic)15%, infused with whole cardamom seeds

I wondered if anyone had any thoughts on whether or not these look like good products?? I don't know much at all about the use of indian herbs so any input would be greatly appreciated :)

wahmof9
October 1st, 2009, 05:09 PM
This is wonderful Aisha what a find!

I use catnip as well and I make it at night. I make mine and then leave it all night in a yogurt maker so the temp of the water stays warm. I am getting tons of conditioning to the point of looking greasy at first.

HotRag
October 2nd, 2009, 12:32 AM
Finally my "local" Indian store had shikakai when I visited them.
I bought all they had on their shelf.
10 packages of Hesh shikakai ^_^

I also found urid dal powder, which I also bought to try. I already have moong dal and besan, but will try this too.

Does urid dal, moong dal, besan and stuff like that, have a lot of mucilage?

Zombiekins
October 2nd, 2009, 09:55 AM
Does urid dal, moong dal, besan and stuff like that, have a lot of mucilage?

Uhh...are you asking for hair purposes? I use all of those things, but for food not hair! :lol: Urad (urid, whatever, I find Indian spellings to vary wildly between stores and brands) dal makes a delightful Kali dal (known in this house as "fancy dal") and I make it for special ocasions (birthday dinners usually). Creamy and rich. Wonderful dal recipes can be found in Classic Indian Cooking by Julie Sahni (http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Indian-Cooking-Julie-Sahni/dp/0688037216/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1254498889&sr=8-1). Yep, I'm shillin'. I got my mom and sisters hooked on that book.

ETA - oops, I just reread that and you said you picked up the dal in powder form. I didn't know they did such a thing! I'm fresh outta ideas for dal powder. :p

HotRag
October 2nd, 2009, 02:14 PM
Uhh...are you asking for hair purposes? I use all of those things, but for food not hair! :lol: Urad (urid, whatever, I find Indian spellings to vary wildly between stores and brands) dal makes a delightful Kali dal (known in this house as "fancy dal") and I make it for special ocasions (birthday dinners usually). Creamy and rich. Wonderful dal recipes can be found in Classic Indian Cooking by Julie Sahni (http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Indian-Cooking-Julie-Sahni/dp/0688037216/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1254498889&sr=8-1). Yep, I'm shillin'. I got my mom and sisters hooked on that book.

ETA - oops, I just reread that and you said you picked up the dal in powder form. I didn't know they did such a thing! I'm fresh outta ideas for dal powder. :p
Yes, for hair, not eat. But I can eat it though :D

I wondered since mucilage can cause a bit of build up or stiffness.

I have used besan and moong dal for washing, and wanted to try urid/urad too. Together with shikakai.

So if anyone has tried all and find one dal more mucilageing than another, please tell me so I can shorten my try out period :p

rach
October 14th, 2009, 04:46 AM
I washed my hair with -
1 tbsp shikakai
1 tbsp sidr - zizyphus
(i was recommended mixing these two)
blob of honey
small amount of catnip tea

left it on for a while then rinsed away. i was surprised to see like a slight frothy scum residue coming out of my hair (since i've been reassured that's normal)
followed with the rest of the catnip rinse as per normal in my routine.

my goodness the conditioning effects are amazing!!!!!!
silky and really soft :cheese:

sidr seems hard to get hold of in the uk and i relize it comes under many names as one of Flaxen pointed out.

Zombiekins
October 14th, 2009, 08:23 PM
I have used besan and moong dal for washing, and wanted to try urid/urad too. Together with shikakai.

Really? Do you mind my asking how you do that? Mix it up with water or use the water from rinsing the lentils...? Oh, or do you use the dal powdered and mixed with water? *super curious* I just made dal last week. :p

Upside Down
November 3rd, 2009, 10:25 AM
Wonderful thread! I just bought this shampoo:

http://www.berk-esoterik.de/product_info.php/info/p1116_Surya-Ayurveda-Herbal-Shampoos--100-ml.html

The label sayyyys...

Acacia concinna, Emblica officinalis, Cyperus rotundus, Curcuma zeodoaria, Psoralea corylifolia, Citrus limonum

I can not wait to try it. I have one question, and I apologize if it has already been answered:
How long do I need to leave it in in order to get cleansing effect, and how long for conditioning? What is the shortest and longest (safe) time to leave it in?

tja
November 3rd, 2009, 01:16 PM
Today I have seen "black henna" powder in our local Indian grocery store. I read the label and its said "amla, mehendi, shikakai & bhringaraj"...they didn't mention indigo. Does anybody know whether this is this natural/safe? Anybody tried the Godrej Kali Mehendi brand?

I am planning to darken my henna a bit so I wonder whether I can add a tiny bit of this powder to my usual henna paste...

mira-chan
November 3rd, 2009, 02:17 PM
Today I have seen "black henna" powder in our local Indian grocery store. I read the label and its said "amla, mehendi, shikakai & bhringaraj"...they didn't mention indigo. Does anybody know whether this is this natural/safe? Anybody tried the Godrej Kali Mehendi brand?

I am planning to darken my henna a bit so I wonder whether I can add a tiny bit of this powder to my usual henna paste...
I haven't tried that brand. If there is no indigo or katam on the label, then they are not listing all ingredients. That generally means the black coloring it from PPD, not good.

tja
November 3rd, 2009, 02:22 PM
I haven't tried that brand. If there is no indigo or katam on the label, then they are not listing all ingredients. That generally means the black coloring it from PPD, not good.

Yeah, I thought so :( I wish indigo was easier to find! Arigatou mira-chan! :)

Diamondbell
November 4th, 2009, 02:15 AM

Mira-chan is right - this particular one is not natural henna. It must be black dye. :(

Smokering
January 25th, 2010, 02:45 AM
I just read this whole thread and got inspired. :) All I had in the cupboard by way of exotic herbs (well... relevant exotic herbs!) was fenugreek. So I ground about a tablespoon of seeds up in my spice grinder, which took a while because I sifted out the chaffy stuff and ground the rest again to get a finer grind - it's a by-hand pepper-mill type grinder and takes FOREVER to grind anything as hard as fenugreek, so arrgh. But I got it done. I poured a bit of boiling water over the powder (and topped it up later, as it seemed a bit too dry), and let it sit for maybe six hours? In the meantime, I gave my hair a pretty heavy oiling with jojoba (maybe a teaspoon of oil).

I kept the fenugreek paste on my head for longer than I meant to because I had a sleeping baby on my lap! Maybe 40 minutes? My scalp was starting to feel a bit "spicy" so I callously woke up said baby and handed her to DH, and washed off the stuff in the shower. I'm washing with baking soda and vinegar as my regular routine these days, but I wasn't sure what adding baking soda to mucilage would do and I had a vague, eerie feeling that it was too harsh and I should change my routine anyway. :p So I just used plain water. My hair hadn't felt that slippy for years!

It's drying ever so slowly in a plait right now, so I won't get the full effect until tomorrow morning. But my, my roots feel nice! Slidy and soft. I really hope this works - I've been in a real hair rut lately, and have kinda gotten used to having blah dry crackly hair. Time for a shakeup!

Smokering
January 25th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Brushed my hair out this morning with a BBB. It didn't feel as slippy as it did last night, but it was easier to detangle and brush than normal. It felt moisturised and a little greasy, but how much of that was the heavy oiling I can't say. The curry smell has mostly faded from my hair, and my scalp feels clean.

I bought some catnip and marshmallow root this afternoon. :) Now I have to wait for my hair to get dirty again so I can try 'em out! I have high hopes for the catnip...

Fethenwen
January 26th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Wow, this thread is really comprehensive!

I usually leave the herbs on for only about 10-15 minutes, are there a lot of benefits to leave it on for a longer time?

Also I don't think I can do this during winter, my hair seems to get insanely static from these herbs. It's weird, I wonder why, because my hair does not feel dry or anything.

Smokering
January 26th, 2010, 04:04 PM
I bought amla and shikakai today at the Indian grocer! Can't find soapnuts anywhere - the lady said they thought about stocking them, but that they were insanely expensive.

LadyJennifer
January 27th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Wow, thank you for posting this! Now I just have to find an Indian store near me

AmericanWoman
January 27th, 2010, 08:36 PM
I bought amla and shikakai today at the Indian grocer! Can't find soapnuts anywhere - the lady said they thought about stocking them, but that they were insanely expensive.

Aritha is another name for soapnuts. It's usually in a powder. Or you can try to find Hesh Herbal Hairwash- it has several herbs in in already. (aritha, amla, shikai and a couple others I can't think of)

Smokering
January 28th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Yeah, I looked for then under name aritha at the herbal shop and still no joy. The lady at the Indian grocer knew what I meant, but didn't have 'em. Hopefully the shikakai will work so well I'll lose all desire to experiment. :p My hair's pretty greasy today (I think - hope - because i didn't wash the heavy oiling out properly, not because of the fenugreek), so I might wash my hair with shikakai and a catnip rinse tonight. Or shikakai and fenugreek, which I guess would be marginally more scientific as I've used the fenugreek before. The catnip's really tempting me though!

LadyJennifer
January 28th, 2010, 07:01 PM
I got inspired and went to the Indian shop near me (I have a weakness for trying new things!). I got Shikakai, Amla, Neem (which smells just fine to me), and Brahmi powders. I didn't know to look for the Methi in the spices section, so I didn't get that, unfortunately. I oiled my hair heavily last night, and washed it this morning with the Shikakai, Amla, and Neem.
This is what I did:
I put 1 Tbs each of Shikakai and Amla, and 1 tsp of Neem. I then added boiling water to make a thick gravy and let sit for a few. I then added about a tbs of strawberry coconut milk kefir (it smelled awesome). I applied it to my oily dry hair and let it sit for abt 2 hours under a shower cap. It was pretty hard to apply and rinse. I'd like to try it with the Methi for easier application and de-application, lol. I did use AO condish after because my hair was slightly tangly from trying to rinse well. I'm not sure if I needed it or not. My hair feels clean and wonderful and not greasy at all, so it got the heavy oiling out fine:)

slz
January 31st, 2010, 02:48 PM

Smokering
January 31st, 2010, 02:53 PM
So I washed with shikakai and conditioned with fenugreek. As before, I ground my whole dry fenugreek seeds up laboriously by hand in my spice mill and then soaked the powder. I sifted the mixture to remove the hully chaffy bits, but then thought "hmm" and soaked them in a separate container to see if they'd produce mucilage as well. They did, so I ended up mixing the powder and the "bits" together and using both. No sense wasting good goo!

I applied the shikakai first and then the fenugreek, which was kind of a pain. Has anyone noticed a difference in using shikakai and methi in the same mix, vs using one and then the other? I feel like I should use them separately just to mimic the shampooing/conditioning process, but if they work well mixed together so much the better!

I really liked the shikakai. It smelled nice, vaguely like a fruit tea, and it made my hair feel almost conditioned even before I put the fenugreek in. This time the fenugreek didn't make my hair feel slippy while drying, and combing it was still a pain: my hair may have been slightly less tangly than usual, but not much. So I wasn't too impressed until a day later (last night), when I was combing out my hair thoroughly and noticed it had a lot more shine than usual and felt pretty nice. It's still not amazing - I don't think my hair will ever be amazing, at least not without whacking off eight inches - but it was an improvement. So. Yay. :)

Next time I'll try shikakai followed by a catnip rinse. The minimum quantity of catnip I could buy was 50g, which is a fair amount of catnip, so it had better be good!

LadyJennifer
February 1st, 2010, 01:32 PM
Okay I tried something new, and I love it! I took my soap nuts liquid, added 1 tsp each of shikakai, and amla, and 1/2 tsp of neem. I mixed that together and added the juice of 1/2 lemon. I foamed it up in a drink mixer bottle, then made a part in my (dry) hair and applied foam, made another part a little over, and applied foam, etc. 'till my scalp was covered, then I applied it to the length, and put it in a bun with a shower cap for about 40 minutes. It was MUCH easier to rinse out that way, and my scalp felt cleaner. It wasn't even oily the second day, and it usually is. My hair also looked unusually shiny :)
When I did it the second time (today), I added 1 tsp. of brahmi instead of neem, and left it on for almost 3 hours (because I had to wait for my hubs to get home to watch the kids so I could shower). My hair is still wet, so I have yet to see how it comes out with the brahmi, but it feels good while wet. I also conditioned with coconut milk afterwards, so we'll see how that works too.

mira-chan
February 10th, 2010, 07:38 PM
So I washed with shikakai and conditioned with fenugreek. As before, I ground my whole dry fenugreek seeds up laboriously by hand in my spice mill and then soaked the powder. I sifted the mixture to remove the hully chaffy bits, but then thought "hmm" and soaked them in a separate container to see if they'd produce mucilage as well. They did, so I ended up mixing the powder and the "bits" together and using both. No sense wasting good goo!

I applied the shikakai first and then the fenugreek, which was kind of a pain. Has anyone noticed a difference in using shikakai and methi in the same mix, vs using one and then the other? I feel like I should use them separately just to mimic the shampooing/conditioning process, but if they work well mixed together so much the better!

I really liked the shikakai. It smelled nice, vaguely like a fruit tea, and it made my hair feel almost conditioned even before I put the fenugreek in. This time the fenugreek didn't make my hair feel slippy while drying, and combing it was still a pain: my hair may have been slightly less tangly than usual, but not much. So I wasn't too impressed until a day later (last night), when I was combing out my hair thoroughly and noticed it had a lot more shine than usual and felt pretty nice. It's still not amazing - I don't think my hair will ever be amazing, at least not without whacking off eight inches - but it was an improvement. So. Yay. :)

Next time I'll try shikakai followed by a catnip rinse. The minimum quantity of catnip I could buy was 50g, which is a fair amount of catnip, so it had better be good!
Methi can build up and it happens faster in some people than others. maybe hibiscus would work better for you? Marshmallow root is also great and this one give the least buildup I think.

Smokering
February 11th, 2010, 12:07 AM
I have marshmallow root! I want to try it... it's very frustrating, I bought four different herbs at once and want to try them all, singly and in different combinations, but my hair won't get dirty fast enough to keep up with my enthusiasm! :lol: I should be grateful, really: I wouldn't be too impressed with the herbs if they only kept my hair looking nice for a day. But I'm impatient. :p Maybe I'll do amla and marshmallow root next time.

So far I've tried:

deep pre-oiling with jojoba, washed with shikakai followed by fenugreek
washed with amla followed by fenugreek
deep pre-oiling with jojoba, washed with shikakai followed by catnip

The latter was last night. My hair felt a bit funny while it was wet and pretty gross this morning while I was unbraiding it, and it looked a bit frizzy on top after I put it up; but feeling my scalp now, the frizziness seems to have gone and it feels quite soft and clean and pleasant. I'll take it down in a bit to see, although the interior of my cinnabun is probably still damp.

LadyJennifer
February 11th, 2010, 01:25 PM
I'm just going to copy my last blog entry to here:

I've really been experimenting with all different ways to use the herbs, so I haven't settled on a routine yet, but I think I found a simpler one than what I was using before. I finally found and bought methi powder (fenugreek), and mixed it with amla, shikakai, and neem; poured boiling water over it, and let sit for a few hours. It thickened much more than I thought it would, so I added more water and a little acv (raw, unfiltered) 'till it made more of a gravy than a paste. I then got in the shower, wet my hair and kind of squeezed some water out so it would not be too wet. I applied the "gravy to my scalp, then ends, rubbing into my scalp with my fingertips. Then I put my hair up, did other shower things, then rinsed it out really well in cool water at the end of my shower. My hair feels wonderful, clean, moisturized! :) I'll definitely be doing that again, as it takes much less time than the soap nut foam method, and DEFINITELY get the methi, as it makes it much easier to apply and rinse out. It also makes it really slippery (my hair).
I've been rinsing my hair with diluted acv after every washing too, because I love the way it makes my hair feel:) (would this help prevent build-up at all?)

I didn't like the way my hair felt when I used coconut milk for conditioner, it was oily and my hair felt weighed down. Maybe for a DT that gets washed out?

mira-chan
February 11th, 2010, 03:13 PM
I'm just going to copy my last blog entry to here:

I've really been experimenting with all different ways to use the herbs, so I haven't settled on a routine yet, but I think I found a simpler one than what I was using before. I finally found and bought methi powder (fenugreek), and mixed it with amla, shikakai, and neem; poured boiling water over it, and let sit for a few hours. It thickened much more than I thought it would, so I added more water and a little acv (raw, unfiltered) 'till it made more of a gravy than a paste. I then got in the shower, wet my hair and kind of squeezed some water out so it would not be too wet. I applied the "gravy to my scalp, then ends, rubbing into my scalp with my fingertips. Then I put my hair up, did other shower things, then rinsed it out really well in cool water at the end of my shower. My hair feels wonderful, clean, moisturized! :) I'll definitely be doing that again, as it takes much less time than the soap nut foam method, and DEFINITELY get the methi, as it makes it much easier to apply and rinse out. It also makes it really slippery (my hair).
I've been rinsing my hair with diluted acv after every washing too, because I love the way it makes my hair feel:) (would this help prevent build-up at all?)

I didn't like the way my hair felt when I used coconut milk for conditioner, it was oily and my hair felt weighed down. Maybe for a DT that gets washed out?
I find that unless you have very long (past classic) and/or dry hair coconut milk left in is too heavy. It does work well in place of the pre-oiling that gets washed out. :flower:

bigeyedgirl829
March 8th, 2011, 10:45 AM
I've used them and I totally notice a difference. Love them after my 3rd wash!!

CoilyCurlyME
May 3rd, 2011, 12:48 PM
Thanks for posting this. :) I'm becoming obssed with indian herbs.

<~Rosenkranz~>
May 15th, 2011, 02:16 AM
I am dying to conduct my own hair experiments with Indian herbs, but I have no idea where to find them in the San Francisco north bay area / near Santa Rosa. I know Indian grocers are the obvious answer, but I'm afraid of wasting gas and going home empty-handed.

Anyone from the area that can send me in the right direction? Or can anyone recommend a good online vendor? The best prices I've found so far are at AyurNatural Beauty. (www.ayurnaturalbeauty.com/) They're the only one I've found that consistently has the specific herbs I want in stock, and they even have cheap shipping...

Please help a girl on a budget. ;)