PDA

View Full Version : Old fashion rollers

going gray
February 14th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Doesn't anyone still use those old fashioned wire mesh jumbo rollers after they wash their hair? It's the only way to tame my hair, I use 6 & let it air dry.

manderly
February 14th, 2009, 05:02 PM
No, but I have been known to use the plastic magnetic rollers :)

I've never found those big mesh ones. Where did you get them, or have you just had them forever?

Carolyn
February 14th, 2009, 05:15 PM
I still have my mesh rollers from my high school and college days. I haven't set my hair in oh maybe 3 years but I still have them and could use them. I think about using them now and then but I'm too lazy.

spidermom
February 14th, 2009, 07:08 PM
I occasionally use large sponge curlers.

going gray
February 15th, 2009, 06:03 AM
Hi Manderly, Took some searching on google, but I found a company www. cachebeauty.com they sell the old fashion rollers from my teenage years, (that's going back some) made by Diane & the product #'s are #542 & #543. I ordered 2 sets of both sizes.

Realized after my hair drys using no heat & using some gentle brushing, my hair is pretty smooth, soft & frizzless, the only thing that works for me & keeps me away from the hair salon.

Dreams_in_Pink
February 15th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Yes!! Before i got layers at the salon (how i regret it!) i always had my whole head set in curlers (various sizes, i have them all!)

My all-time faves are these sponge ones. They're very light and comfortable to sleep on at night. The only reason i want my hair to grow fast is to be able to use them again :cheese:

arabidbutterfly
February 16th, 2009, 11:16 PM
I have heard that the sponge rollers can cause drying in hair. Has anyone experienced that?

spidermom
February 16th, 2009, 11:20 PM
I have heard that the sponge rollers can cause drying in hair. Has anyone experienced that?

I've had no problems with that.

Dreams_in_Pink
February 17th, 2009, 06:59 AM

Not really, natural drying process happens. If you use some kind of product (with or without cones) your hair will end up smooth and conditioned after you remove the rollers.

punkgirl89
February 17th, 2009, 07:15 AM
I always used them when I was a little girl and would get painfully frustrated that they wouldn't curl my hair (which is stubbornly straight).:confused:

HairyCarrie
February 17th, 2009, 07:37 AM
I use the velcro rollers as I'm still pretty short and I like a bend in my hair after drying. When I first started growing out I used smaller ones and more of them. I now use large ones and just graduated to 7 curlers in my hair to do the job. That's how I measure length progress - the fewer rollers to get the best bend.

I'm looking forward to when my hair gets long enough to not need rollers or just using them less often.

Dreams_in_Pink
February 17th, 2009, 08:29 AM
I always used them when I was a little girl and would get painfully frustrated that they wouldn't curl my hair (which is stubbornly straight).:confused:

It's hard to make straight hair curly. And curly hair straight.

I'm addicted to them because my hair is naturally very wavy and thick, so curlers work like magic for me (i let them stay for 1 hour and that lasts for the whole day)

If you really want to curl , i'm afraid you may need to use harsher methods likehairsprays, curling irons or perming etc. (which will damage hair greatly)

Carolyn
February 17th, 2009, 08:40 AM
I use the velcro rollers as I'm still pretty short and I like a bend in my hair after drying. When I first started growing out I used smaller ones and more of them. I now use large ones and just graduated to 7 curlers in my hair to do the job. That's how I measure length progress - the fewer rollers to get the best bend.

I'm looking forward to when my hair gets long enough to not need rollers or just using them less often.A word of warning on the Velcro's. They can literally shred hair. If you are getting regular cuts and keeping your hair short, they are probably fine but if you plan on growing longer you might want to consider that they could be very damaging to your hair.

LaurelSpring
February 17th, 2009, 08:44 AM
I seem to have a memory of those old brush curlers getting all tangled up in my hair when I was a girl.

Silverlox
February 17th, 2009, 08:45 AM
My thoughts exactly!!

I've only tried velcro roller once, but oh, man, was that horrible!! My hair was so stuck to them, I thought I'd have to cut - or pull - it all out to get rid of those blasted velcro rollers.

I'm sure they're fine for short hair, but for shoulder length or more, all I got was a very tangled mess!

They do literally scratch the hair strand and rip open the cuticles from the core. Not good if you want your hair to last for a long time!

rags
February 17th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Both the velcro rollers and the wire mesh rollers are death to my baby fine hair. They just get caught and tangled and I rip what feels like half of my hair out trying to remove them. When I want waves, I braid wet. For honest to goodness curls, the only way I can get them is to sleep in rag rollers or the foam ready made rollers (basically a rag roller with a piece of foam inside). And then they last a day at most. My hair just doesn't like to curl!

Carolyn
February 17th, 2009, 03:16 PM
A tip for the mesh rollers...take the brushes out and just use the round mesh encased wire part. I got that tip in SEVENTEEN or GLAMOUR way back in the late 60s.

HairyCarrie
February 17th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Thanks for all the advice about the velcro rollers. I seem to do pretty well with them since I put them in dry and in big chucks. Occasionally they will pull a little, but I work it gently. I don't plan to use them too much longer, and may just use big clips to bend the hair to give it some lift, curl and volume. My hair is still is great shape in spite of the velcro use.

I do appreciate the concern...

arabidbutterfly
February 18th, 2009, 01:40 AM
Thanks spidermom and Dreams_In_Pink.

Deborah
February 18th, 2009, 11:51 AM
As a child, I always just pulled the brushes out of the wire mesh rollers and threw them away. That way the rollers don't catch at the hair, and they are way more comfortable to wear.

Dreams_in_Pink
February 18th, 2009, 01:22 PM
As a child, I always just pulled the brushes out of the wire mesh rollers and threw them away. That way the rollers don't catch at the hair, and they are way more comfortable to wear.

I've also done that, but gave it up since you need to find a way(bobby pins, sticks, clips etc.) to fix them tight so that they won't fall out.

Carolyn
February 18th, 2009, 04:47 PM
I've also done that, but gave it up since you need to find a way(bobby pins, sticks, clips etc.) to fix them tight so that they won't fall out.With long hair the mesh rollers aren't going to stay in your hair even if you leave the brushes in. Your hair is only 11" so you might not have this issue. It's not a big deal to find something to anchor the rollers. There are rollers piks but they have always hurt my head. They really dig in! I've always used the long bobby pins and pin each roller to the previous one. This also avoids getting "roller bumps" that can happen when you pin the roller to the hair close to the scalp. I hope I'm explaining this in an understandable way :D

Deborah
February 18th, 2009, 08:41 PM
I've also done that, but gave it up since you need to find a way(bobby pins, sticks, clips etc.) to fix them tight so that they won't fall out.

Dreams,

Yep, you have to use those really large bobby pins to hold the wire mesh rollers on. I haven't used rollers in many years, but those were the last of the ones I did use. They worked pretty well and were very light in weight.

The pink sponge rollers left marks where the holder snaps over the hair to hold the roller in place. That is why I grew to dislike them.

Deborah
February 18th, 2009, 08:46 PM
With long hair the mesh rollers aren't going to stay in your hair even if you leave the brushes in. Your hair is only 11" so you might not have this issue. It's not a big deal to find something to anchor the rollers. There are rollers piks but they have always hurt my head. They really dig in! I've always used the long bobby pins and pin each roller to the previous one. This also avoids getting "roller bumps" that can happen when you pin the roller to the hair close to the scalp. I hope I'm explaining this in an understandable way :D

Carolyn,

My hair was about waist length when I last used wire mesh rollers (minus the brushes). Like you I pinned the rollers to each other, never to my scalp or directly on my hair. I slept in them, and for me they stayed on just fine, and worked great. (Well, as 'great' as any roller can work on straight hair. They added a little body, and a little wave to the bottom.)

Carolyn
February 18th, 2009, 09:35 PM
:D I think I misunderstood what you were doing. I thought you weren't anchoring the rollers with anything and were relying on the brush part to adhere to the hair and keep the rollers in. Kind of like the way Velcro rollers work.

Debra83
February 19th, 2009, 12:53 AM
Be Careful with the mesh/brush rollers!!

I just got rid of mine last summer - before even joining LHC. My mom used to use them a lot, and they actually made her hair thinner. She always put them in the same places and I believe it damaged some of her roots.

(Mine were very old as well when I tossed, and I didn't think they would be soooo difficult to find as they seem to be). But, I'm still kinda nervous about them. She used to take the brushes part out too.

going gray
February 19th, 2009, 03:59 AM
Was experimenting the other day, normally I use 12 jumbo rollers, just the plain mesh, no brushes. Well the other day I tried rolling my hair towel wet on 6 instead, using more hair in each roller. Had tremendous success, my hair tried straighter & smoother, with no kink or frizz.

Only took me 52 years to figure it out!!!