View Full Version : Need Help with hair part

michael
February 5th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Hi. I'm a guy and I've been growing my hair out for a while, it's a little less than shoulder length right now. Anyway, I've been having quite a bit of trouble... styling it. In particular, I'm having trouble with the part. In the past, I've always had short haircuts that I didn't bother to part, but I'm having to figure it out now. I've been parting it straight down the middle of my head, but i'm not sure if this is a good look, since i have a widow's peak.

The other day, I started parting my hair a bit to the left of my widow's peak, in a very straight line, but my mom and sister both said(without being prompted) that it looked bad. Specifically that i looked like "meathead" from "All in the Family". When I asked them specifically what the problem was, they couldn't give me a good answer. My mom said that the part was "too severe" or something.

When you part hair to the side, do you normally do it in a straight line from front to back, or should it curve towards the middle.

Also, where should I part it with the widow's peak? Down the middle looks wierd sometimes, becuase it splits the widow's peak in half. I'd prefer parting it on the left-center because my nose leans left and men are supposed to part their hair on the left, but I feel like the widow's peak messes that up. any advice would be appreciated.

Roseate
February 5th, 2009, 10:48 PM
I have a widow's peak, and if I part my hair, I always part it on the side, so the whole peak is on one side of the part.

Most of the time I don't really give it a precise, straight part, just let it fall where it wants and part it with my fingers- I have wavy hair and an arrow-straight part running through it looks odd to me.

Welcome to LHC, and good luck growing!

OhioLisa
February 5th, 2009, 10:58 PM
why not just let it part naturally however it likes? Others' opinions really don't matter anyway. ;)

kwaniesiam
February 5th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Give your head a good shake and let it fall naturally in to a part. I have a widows peak and generally prefer center parts, but my hair is very thin, fine, and flat as well so it tends to just part where I want it to and doesn't put up much of a fight ;)

If you like it on the left, part it on the left. I always put mine to the right when i feel like having it off center because thats where it feels better to me. Welcome to LHC! You'll find a lot of other guys here as well, there's a whole thread just for the boys too :)

julya
February 5th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Your family is probably not used to seeing you with a part in your hair, maybe that had something to do with the comments.

Delilah
February 5th, 2009, 11:08 PM
I would say comb it straight back while it's wet and don't touch it for a bit, see where it parts on it's own as drying. Or you might just like it smoothed back on top with no part, using a little aloe vera gel to hold it if necessary. My boyfriend did this when he was growing out his hair and then once it was long enough he let it dry in a ponytail so it went back like that on it's own.
Also, parting your hair with a finger will give a softer line than with a comb. Just drag your fingernail in a line around where you want a part, and smooth the hair to either side. That's what i do.

Peter
February 5th, 2009, 11:14 PM
Hi Michael, I have a widow's peak as well and I usually part my hair on the left like you mentioned. I used to part it down the middle, but the peak would refuse to behave so it would usually be a bit left of center anyway. Personally I like a straight part that goes to the middle at the back, but whatever you're most comfortable with is what you should do.

Also, where did this come from: "men are supposed to part their hair on the left"? Men are also "supposed" to have short hair. ;) You can do it anywhere you like, and don't listen to anyone who complains or says something mean about it. It's your hair and your business.

manderly
February 5th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Here's an older photo of me. Widows peak + part.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/astrauser/CIMG1455.jpg

My part moves whenever I made it. One side would tend to go flat on me after a while, so forcing my hair to part the other direction for a while would perk it back up. I could never get a straight center part with my peak, it was ALWAYS slightly askew. I liked it :)

Let your hair find it's way, but don't be afraid to try to train it how you like it.

Oh, and take a photo. What you see in the mirror is different from what others see. I don't see how crooked my peak is in the mirror, so I'm always shocked in photos ;)

manderly
February 5th, 2009, 11:20 PM
LOL, OMG, that's not the same shirt as my avatar either. I just realized I had acquired a large quantity of bright blue shirts over the last year! :D

alligatorbaby23
February 6th, 2009, 12:12 AM
<HIJACK>So funny about the shirts Manderly! I think the soft part works great with your hair.. <End HIJACK!>

To OP_
A soft part, like Manderly's is nice for a widow's peak. In addition, sometimes when I part my hair to the side, I only will part the frony (bangs section) area of my hair and leave the rest with my natural middle part.

The suggestion to use fingers rather than a comb is a great one too!

Good Luck and Welcome!

-mao

White_Rabbit
February 6th, 2009, 01:06 AM
Side bangs (possible emo ones) would cover up the widows peak...and all you would do is a side part...pretty easy :]