PDA

View Full Version : Mirror for seeing the back of your head?

karisaf
January 24th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Is it just because I am a newbie to all this fancy hairstyling that I want/need a mirror to see the back of my head?

What kind of mirror set up do you use while styling?

I was thinking of getting a long extending mirror like this one - http://www.mirrorplace.com/store/product.php?productid=16320&cat=262&page=2

and I also came across this, though I am not sure if it would extend long enough to work (I might have to sit on my counter while styling). But I like that you can move it and it's not permanent.
http://www.mirrorplace.com/store/product.php?productid=16208&cat=257&page=1

and there is also that bendable one you can put around your neck (don't have the link ATM).

Bluebell
January 24th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Oh no, I use one. I think the most of us use a second mirror to check the updos on the backside. I have a small hand mirror. And I often use the mirror of my make-up purse to see the back of my head.
I don't do updos while looking in a second mirror, because my arms would tangle up when I see the movements in opposite direction!;)

viking_quest
January 24th, 2009, 10:52 AM
I don't use a mirror while styling. My mom has a double sided mirror (regular mirror on one side and a 10x close up mirror on the other side) and I use that to check that my hair looks somewhat good. I would go nuts if I had to use the second mirror all the time while styling.

patience
January 24th, 2009, 11:13 AM
I'll chime in with others. I only use a little mirror to check the back after I'm done. My brain would get confused trying to watch myself backwards.

AJoifulNoise
January 24th, 2009, 11:27 AM
I use a small hand mirror I got at the dollar store. It's probably almost 10 years old now. Nothing fancy, but it gets the job done. I only use it at the end to make sure everything is in place.

MusingFrog
January 24th, 2009, 11:39 AM
I think you want to learn how to do the styles be feel. Since you are new to them, it may seem that things are really complicated because you can't see, but after a few tries you'll start to get used to fiddling with your hair without seeing it. If you are doing something complicated, you may want to use a mirror to check the back midway through, but I wouldn't try to do the updo while looking in the mirror - way to confusing!

As others said, I normally just check the hair when I'm done. If something is out of place I'll fiddle with it till it is right, but most of the time I don't have that problem. I have a full length mirror in my room and a smaller mirror (though it is still big, roughly 14" x 10") that I use to check the back. But a small hand-held mirror should do just fine.

karisaf
January 24th, 2009, 11:41 AM
I can see how doing things by feel would be easiest (that is how I have done french twists, etc up to now) but sometimes they are crooked or there is a loop of hair sticking up and I thought maybe being able to check mid-styling to make sure none of these things are happening would be good. Anyhow, I'm glad to hear the general concensus on this! (save my money on the mirror and buy a new hair toy or two LOL).

Silver & Gold
January 24th, 2009, 12:20 PM
I style my hair by feel then check the back with a mirror after I'm done. I think it would get too confusing to be looking at the back while I'm styling.

NurseMama
January 24th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Just to chime in with the majority here- I style by feel and then check with a small hand held mirror when done. The nice thing is that I am competent enough with my updos now that I can do a beautiful one anywhere and a mirror is not necessary. My fingers know what to do and how it should feel.

Periwinkle
January 24th, 2009, 01:15 PM
I use a mirror that was in the top of a musical box I had when I was very young. The box is long gone (and its ghastly music with it!) but somehow the lid hung around, and it has a mirror in it. I have to hold it up so I only check at the end.

I carry a compact with me in my bag, which I sometimes use to check in bathroom mirrors.

Mely
January 24th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Is it just because I am a newbie to all this fancy hairstyling that I want/need a mirror to see the back of my head?

What kind of mirror set up do you use while styling?

I was thinking of getting a long extending mirror like this one - http://www.mirrorplace.com/store/product.php?productid=16320&cat=262&page=2

I recently got an extending mirror just like that, and I really like it. The magnifying side is good for putting makeup on (I can't see close-up without my glasses so I need a magnifying mirror) and I use the other side for looking at the back of my head. Sometimes I put my hair up with the help of the extending mirror, but I usually just do it by feel, and use the mirror to check. The extending mechanism seems to be well made and strong.

Cinnamon Hair
January 24th, 2009, 07:30 PM
I make updos by feel also. Usually I stand in front of a wall mirror so I can see where I'm placing the fork, stick, ficcare clip, whatever.. what angle it should go in, and if there are any bumps of hair that need to be smoothed back.

For a nice decorative hand mirror, you should check out http://woodenwood.com/hand_mirrors.htm
I have the stained violet one with the gripped handle.

MusingFrog
January 24th, 2009, 09:07 PM
I can see how doing things by feel would be easiest (that is how I have done french twists, etc up to now) but sometimes they are crooked or there is a loop of hair sticking up and I thought maybe being able to check mid-styling to make sure none of these things are happening would be good. Anyhow, I'm glad to hear the general concensus on this! (save my money on the mirror and buy a new hair toy or two LOL).

If you are working on a new updo, it is definitely a good idea to check midway through before you secure everything to make sure it is straight and all. Also, try to take note of how you are making your updos if they are coming consistently crooked. As an example, I have to heavily exaggerate pulling my hair to the left before I begin a French twist if I want the final fold to end up centered. If I bring the hair straight up from the center of my back (like most tutorials show), the fold would be really close to my right ear. Taking note of how you are working with your hair will eventually reduce the number of checks you need to do on your hair before finishing and hopefully make it so you only have to perform an updo once.

manderly
January 24th, 2009, 09:51 PM
I have a crazy bathroom with a mirror opposite sliding mirror closet doors. Combine that with a mirrored medicine cabinet that I can angle and I've got surround-vision.

I don't watch while I style, that actually confuses my wittle brain. I style, then I check in the mirror :)

sapphire-o
January 24th, 2009, 10:09 PM
I have mirrored closet doors opposing a wall of mirror as well. Unfortunately my eyesight isn't good enough to utilize that too well. :D Mostly I just use a Goody hand mirror to check styles after I'm done. If it's not satisfactory I'd just take it down and do it again. Most of my updos only take seconds so I can redo it 3 or 4 times within a minute if I want to.

Elphie
January 24th, 2009, 10:27 PM
I asked my 12 year old son if he wouldn't mind that I retired the handmirror he made for me when he was 4. It's made of popsicle sticks and a mirror like surface in the center. He was only put-out a little bit. I promised I'd still use it.

sahiba
January 25th, 2009, 01:04 AM
I have mirrored closet doors opposing a wall of mirror as well. .

Me too. And I use it to the fullest. Not only while styling but combing , brushing, or even while walking pass it .:D

squiggyflop
January 25th, 2009, 07:23 PM
for seeing the back of my head i prefer a trifold mirror.. i just bend the side mirrors inward and i can clearly see the back of my head and i dont have to hold anything.. i cant do it with a handheld..

nappywomyn
January 26th, 2009, 12:23 PM
I was lucky enough to buy a house that has a three way mirror over the bathroom sink, and I installed a double sided adjustable mirror on the wall behind the sink. I tend to do some rather intricate parts, and that's the only way I would be able to keep them straight - I have to see them while I'm doing them. :laugh: