PDA

View Full Version : Self trimming and parting in your hair

ilovelonghair
January 13th, 2009, 09:09 PM
So how do you self trim; with a parting in your hair or all hair combed back without parting?
I do it without parting, but is that the right way?

misstwist
January 13th, 2009, 09:36 PM
If it works for you it's the right way, right?

manderly
January 14th, 2009, 01:21 AM
I part down the center as explained in feye's self trim method :D

http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim

Debra83
January 14th, 2009, 01:32 AM
I get a bunch of the foam rollers and starting at the front top, I curl my hair. Before putting the curlers in each section though, I trim/dust that section. Then wrap it up and get it out of the way. It works amazingly for me.

Speedbump
January 14th, 2009, 04:11 AM
I have a natural center part so I just go with that, and I use Feye's method for a gentle U hemline to help get my natural "V" under more control.

If you like the result of your trims, you're doing it right. ;)

Arfed
January 14th, 2009, 05:21 PM
I part down the center as explained in feye's self trim method :D

http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim
Pretty much the same here; I used the method in Feye's guide recently and it's fairly easy to do, even if your hair is still kind of shortish (such that you can't directly see the ends you're trimming).

aprilmay
January 14th, 2009, 05:49 PM
I tried a variation of that this weekend just on my own and I don't think I did an accurate job. DH helped a little and then I had him stop because I didn't like the sound of him cutting my hair. I may need a fine tuning from my sister in law. Thanks for the link to detailed instructions. I will try that next time.

JamieLeigh
January 14th, 2009, 05:55 PM
My hair parts naturally in the center as well, and as this is how I normally wear it when it's down, my hair would look uneven if I combed it all straight back, part-free to trim. So...yes, I do part my hair when I self-trim. :)

ilovelonghair
January 15th, 2009, 02:30 AM
My ends still fairytale ends, so it's very hard to check if I'm doing it right. I trim weekly, but still it will take ages before all my hair has grown back into that lenght.

Finoriel
January 15th, 2009, 03:47 AM
I have also thought about this when I started trimming, because most tutorials say something like do a straight part in the middle or no part at all. Which are the most common styles for a part I guess and thatīs why itīs recommended.
But.
I always wear a very low sitting side part, because of a huge cow lick :wink: but thatīs another story. Which sense would it make for me to remove this part and do a middle part or no part at all, just for the few seconds of trimming? When wearing my regular part again, I would end up with a hemline which is not going along with it. With straight hair this would be very noticeable and would produce some weird layers on one side.
Thatīs why I would recommend to always wear the part you normally wear for trimming.

talecon
January 15th, 2009, 04:27 AM
I have always parted my hair down the middle to self-trim but my natural part is a little off center so I always part my hair to the side (off to watch feyes self-trim video)

talecon
January 15th, 2009, 04:28 AM
aww man no video? off to youtube... :P

jojo
January 15th, 2009, 01:09 PM
I have a natural part which is just off centre, I use this when self cutting with no ill effects. I feel If I did more a centre part my hemline would be wonky.

ilovelonghair
March 9th, 2009, 05:07 AM
My parting is slightly off center, due to a cowlick, but I tend to force a middle parting every now and then. I think I can't really judge if my hemline is straight as it's still a fairytale hemline.

LadyLongLocks
March 11th, 2009, 06:29 AM
I would cut it while it is parted as you usually part it.

Here 2 other instructional self trim pages with photos..

:)Here is mine:
For very long hair... blunt cut.

http://jjjlonghairphotopage.zoomshare.com/2.shtml/JJJ%27s%20Self%20Hair%20Trim%20Method

http://isaetno.free.fr/indexeng.html
Click "trimming" in the menu on the left. Shows 3 types of cuts.

Loviatar
March 11th, 2009, 10:51 AM
I always wear a very low sitting side part, because of a huge cow lick :wink: but thatīs another story. Which sense would it make for me to remove this part and do a middle part or no part at all, just for the few seconds of trimming? When wearing my regular part again, I would end up with a hemline which is not going along with it. With straight hair this would be very noticeable and would produce some weird layers on one side.
Thatīs why I would recommend to always wear the part you normally wear for trimming.

Finoriel what you have said has just made so much sense to me. I part in the center to self trim but I wear a left side part over my eye right above the iris. My hair has shorter pieces on the right which don't blend into my length when I do a single braid. The pieces are about 1.5 - 2 inches shorter than the rest of the length on the right. My left side part is about 1.5 - 2 inches more to the left than a center part would be! Could this short section be from parting wrongly and then combing back into place?