PDA

View Full Version : Charming hair story

Nes
December 10th, 2008, 11:01 AM
So..

I was in a taxi yesterday going to get my hair trimmed and got chatting to the driver.

I told him I was on my way to the hairdresser and he said "Oh no! Don't get your hair cut off it's gorgeous" It was so sweet.

I explained the whole micro-trimming thing to him and he said "phew well keep it long it's so beautiful"

He went on to tell me that when he was a child, his grandmother (who raised him from a baby) had very thick, floor length white hair and he used to sit and brush it for her in the evening. He said she washed it in water from the rain butt in the garden and used some kind of flower oil (he didn't really know what it was?) in her hair and it smelt of flowers.

He said whenever he sees long hair he thinks of his granny and her beautiful hair.

Isn't that the most charming story? It's so nice to receive a hair compliment from a man without some kind of lecherous overtone.

Before I got out the taxi he made me promise never to cut it short!

I just thought I would share this story with you all - my DH thought it was odd but I think it's lovely!

Nes x

SHELIAANN1969
December 10th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Awwwww, that IS very sweet, he got a sweet memory of his GrandMum and you got a compliment as well! :flower:

That is a very cool story :)

taliarose
December 10th, 2008, 11:07 AM
I liked it. Very lucky for you to be in his cab. :D

RavennaNight
December 10th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Awww. Some people are so sweet and share the fondest memories.

Fencai
December 10th, 2008, 11:29 AM
awwwwwww!!!!! that's incredibly sweet!!!!
the last time I took a taxi, i was inebriated, and my driver tried to make out with me! lol!

spidermom
December 10th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Thank you for sharing; I enjoyed that.

MandaMom2Three
December 10th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Awwwwwwwwww

AJoifulNoise
December 10th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Isn't that the sweetest thing? Wouldn't it be nice to catch that guy everytime we think our hair sucks and we want to cut it all off? He's made my day through your story, and he doesn't even know it. :D

lora410
December 10th, 2008, 11:44 AM
It is so nice to hear stories like that. esp when I have had such a crappy day

JamieLeigh
December 10th, 2008, 11:44 AM
That is so sweet!! I'm so glad there are guys out there who aren't complete leches over a long-haired gal. :)

viking_quest
December 10th, 2008, 11:48 AM
That's a lovely story. Thanks for sharing it.

Lady Verity
December 10th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Oh, wow! I love the image of her washing it in the garden.

MsBubbles
December 10th, 2008, 12:20 PM
I scrolled down and saw that pic of your long, shiny hair and thought: well no wonder he said such nice things about it! Cool story.

LutraLutra
December 10th, 2008, 12:22 PM
What a lovely story. It's always great to hear good people saying kind things.

Dreamernz
December 10th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Awww that is such a sweet story!:D

NebraskaChick84
December 10th, 2008, 01:02 PM
that is a very sweet story. when I read this I thought "awww I hope some day my boys feel that way about my hair!" they are 3.5 and 2.

jojo
December 10th, 2008, 01:07 PM
some of the best conversations ive had are in a taxi and that was such a lovely story, thanks for sharing.

Debra83
December 10th, 2008, 01:40 PM
That is soooo cute! :)

sneakybea
December 10th, 2008, 01:52 PM
That is really sweet! Sounds like you brought back some sweet memories!

Miss World
December 10th, 2008, 02:47 PM
awww, what a sweet story! :)

Nes
December 10th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Wow I'm really glad so many people liked that story :o)

For those of you who have children, it's wonderful to think that they will probably remember your hair fondly for the rest of their lives. It sounded like this man could remember her hair vividly.

Thank you so much for the compliment MsBubbles! I'm going through a "sort of fed up with my hair damage" phase so I really appreciate that.

Nes x

jera
December 10th, 2008, 03:36 PM
That was a sweet story, but now I'm tapping my forefinger against my temple trying to ascertain what that floral smelling hair oil was that the floor-length haired grandma used?? Hmnnnn..........;) Lavender? YlangYlang? Jasmine?

Xandergrammy
December 10th, 2008, 03:43 PM
That's such a sweet story! :inlove:

Lindsay
December 10th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Aww! That's lovely.
It made me smile. (:

patissegrietje
December 10th, 2008, 03:52 PM
That was a sweet story, but now I'm tapping my forefinger against my temple trying to ascertain what that floral smelling hair oil was that the floor-length haired grandma used?? Hmnnnn..........;) Lavender? YlangYlang? Jasmine?

I was wondering the same thing!!

Sweet story it is... my great grandma had classic length grey hair that she had in updo's most of the time, but the few times i saw her combing it i was mesmerized...

Teazel
December 10th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Congratulations on finding such a sweet taxi driver in London. Mine was taciturn and talked to his wife on the phone all the way to Heathrow. :rolleyes:

Maybe one day I'll have a grandchild who will remember his or her grandmother's long silver hair fondly, as my mother remembers her granny. :cloud9:

Thanks for sharing the story! :)

DecafJane
December 10th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Aw, what a nice story! :D

Speckla
December 10th, 2008, 08:00 PM
aw, so sweet!
________
Bmw R850R (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/BMW_R850R)

Angelina15
December 10th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Awww that is so sweet!

zen_oven
December 10th, 2008, 10:06 PM
What a sweet story! Thank you for sharing it. :)

skay
December 10th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Indeed a charming and sweet story!

(I have a hard time though picturing a little boy regularly brushing his grandmother's floor-length hair, but kudos to him! :) )

chainedangel
December 10th, 2008, 10:19 PM
That is such a beautiful story. *sniff* I bet his granny was a beautiful woman.

Ndnlady
December 10th, 2008, 10:41 PM
How nice of him! Too bad we don't know what flower oils his Grandmother used!:)

SweetPea88
December 10th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Aww what a great story! So sweet and refreshing to hear. Thanks for sharing! :)

Alun
December 10th, 2008, 11:11 PM
So..

I was in a taxi yesterday going to get my hair trimmed and got chatting to the driver.

I told him I was on my way to the hairdresser and he said "Oh no! Don't get your hair cut off it's gorgeous" It was so sweet.

I explained the whole micro-trimming thing to him and he said "phew well keep it long it's so beautiful"

He went on to tell me that when he was a child, his grandmother (who raised him from a baby) had very thick, floor length white hair and he used to sit and brush it for her in the evening. He said she washed it in water from the rain butt in the garden and used some kind of flower oil (he didn't really know what it was?) in her hair and it smelt of flowers.

He said whenever he sees long hair he thinks of his granny and her beautiful hair.

Isn't that the most charming story? It's so nice to receive a hair compliment from a man without some kind of lecherous overtone.

Before I got out the taxi he made me promise never to cut it short!

I just thought I would share this story with you all - my DH thought it was odd but I think it's lovely!

Nes x

My gran (on my mum's side) also used to wash her hair in water from the rain butt in the back garden, and I don't think she ever cut it, so that story made me smile. I wasn't brought up by her, though, and I don't think I ever saw her hair down. I think she used to put it in a crown braid at least some of the time, although at the time of course I wouldn't have even known what that was. I'm a Londoner too, 'though a bit displaced here in the colonies. I wonder if your cab driver was about my age?

I don't have any idea if she put oil in her hair, but she always kept to the same scent, and that was lavender.

She made the best bread pudding I ever ate, and I'm afraid my mum's has never been quite as good, although my grandad and one of my uncles (who lived at home) learnt to make all her recipes so that you could hardly tell the difference. My grandad's passed on too, though, and my uncle is 86, going on 87.

Alun
December 10th, 2008, 11:14 PM
Oh, wow! I love the image of her washing it in the garden.

Well, I doubt if that's what she did. I expect that's just where the water came from. More likely a tin bath in front of the fire. Seriously.

Igor
December 10th, 2008, 11:17 PM
Aww, what a cute story!

rapunzhell13
December 10th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Nice. :) I wonder if perhaps the oil she used was Monoi or something similar?

littlemiss
December 11th, 2008, 01:16 AM
Great story thanks for sharing!!

jesamyn
December 11th, 2008, 01:36 AM
That is a wonderful story. :)

Isa-belle
December 11th, 2008, 02:18 AM
What a lovely story! I wish more people were like your taxi driver.

Johanna64
December 11th, 2008, 07:28 AM
What a sweet story and what a good man.:)

mellie
December 11th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Wow, what a great story!!

Ryanne
December 11th, 2008, 10:18 AM
That's a very sweet story!

Nes
December 11th, 2008, 11:15 AM
My gran (on my mum's side) also used to wash her hair in water from the rain butt in the back garden, and I don't think she ever cut it, so that story made me smile. I wasn't brought up by her, though, and I don't think I ever saw her hair down. I think she used to put it in a crown braid at least some of the time, although at the time of course I wouldn't have even known what that was. I'm a Londoner too, 'though a bit displaced here in the colonies. I wonder if your cab driver was about my age?

I don't have any idea if she put oil in her hair, but she always kept to the same scent, and that was lavender.

She made the best bread pudding I ever ate, and I'm afraid my mum's has never been quite as good, although my grandad and one of my uncles (who lived at home) learnt to make all her recipes so that you could hardly tell the difference. My grandad's passed on too, though, and my uncle is 86, going on 87.

Your gran sounds like a wonderful woman. Before meeting this man, I had never heard of anyone washing their hair in rain water before, but maybe that was the thing to do at the time? (I'm guessing he was probably about 50 years old by the way.)

I use lavender scent for everything too. I think most people think of it as being a "granny" type smell but I love it.

That was a sweet story, but now I'm tapping my forefinger against my temple trying to ascertain what that floral smelling hair oil was that the floor-length haired grandma used?? Hmnnnn..........;) Lavender? YlangYlang?
Jasmine?

Can one use neat essential oils on hair? Or do you mix it with something else?

I'm a bit ignorant on the subject and when he told me that I wasn't sure what it could have been she used.

What benefits would using flower oils have other than the smell? I would love to have lavender smelling hair!

Nes x