PDA

View Full Version : How much biotin do you take??

kwhitchurch
December 1st, 2008, 02:35 PM
I take a multi-vitamin every day as well, but I just bought some biotin 1500 and I take 1 a day...just wondering if that is enough to make a difference?

goldenbrunette
December 1st, 2008, 02:54 PM
im taking 1000ug every day and sometimes 3 times that!! im so desperate for my hair to grow but since ive been taking biotin ive been getting really awful spots, i mean i don't know if its linked but i want long hair so much im still taking biotin. the spots look really bad though there like those massive boily type ones, sounds mingin i know..but oh well..im hopin the hair will grow!

shwankie
December 1st, 2008, 02:55 PM
I started at 1000mg several months ago, and upped it to 2000 a few weeks ago. I noticed a difference with the 1000, and am waiting to see if the 2000 makes a bigger difference.

Gothic Lolita
December 1st, 2008, 03:01 PM
I take a vitamin B complex and find that this makes a bigger difference than just taking the biotin alone. But I can't say right now how much I'm taking. I think it's 300x the recommended dosis for a day. I take it only every second and daily a multi.

kwhitchurch
December 1st, 2008, 03:24 PM
when you say spots do you mean on your head? You hair? I have been taking it for just about a week now so I can't tell if it is making a difference yet...I am also taking about 2000 of Vit E now because of a healing complication with some plastic surgery I had and I have noticed a difference in my skin and nails almost immediately, so hopefully it will help my hair too!

justgreen
December 1st, 2008, 03:46 PM
I take 5000 mcgs a day. I worked my way up starting with 1000mcgs a day.

Oskimosa
December 1st, 2008, 04:24 PM
I think the daily reccommended amount is like 300mg. I bought some 1000mg pills and cut them in half. I feel like 500 is well above the reccommended amount and don't really like taking more than 100% of what I'm supposed to have. Some Dr's say you just flush the rest away anyhow, that your body won't process and absorb any more than that, but there are certainly Drs who don't agree with that. :shrug:

BlackfootHair
December 1st, 2008, 04:46 PM
I take a 1000mg one, and when I started taking two a day I broke out around my chin, the corners of my mouth. I went back to one per day and my chin cleared up. :)

justgreen
December 1st, 2008, 05:12 PM
mcg is not the same as mg. I take Mcg's (http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_difference_in_measurements_of_mg_and_m cg_is_pills). Please be aware of how much you are taking.

Reila
December 1st, 2008, 07:12 PM
I have been taking 5000mcg+a multi for 3months now. I think I have a lot of new growth, but I've also been using monistat, so I'm not sure if it's done anything!

Reila
December 1st, 2008, 07:13 PM
sorry, I would like to add that I did break out a little bit at first, but it doesn't do anything to my face anymore!

Oskimosa
December 2nd, 2008, 01:25 AM
My bad, I take 500 MCGs.

morguebabe
December 2nd, 2008, 07:47 AM
I take 1000mcg of Biotin, 100mg of Pyridoxal (B6), 1000 mg of Flaxseed Oil, 1300mg of Evening Primrose Oil, and Sublingual B12 (http://www.trivita.com/US-EN/shop/productdetail.aspx?pid=175)
I always refer back to Bargellos Long Hair Vitamin Regime (http://www.longhaircareforum.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-220.html) from the old boards.

kwhitchurch
December 2nd, 2008, 10:39 AM
thanks for the replies! I think I am taking about the right amount...I haven't noticed any new breakouts so I will cross my fingers!

goldenbrunette
December 2nd, 2008, 04:09 PM
ive just upped my water intake to 4l a day ans the spots are going!

kwhitchurch
December 9th, 2008, 10:49 AM
I have been taking them regularly now every day for 2 weeks now and I feel like I can already see a difference! My hair has grown extremely slow (maybe 2 inches in 5 months) and I have been so frustrated and I finally feel like I am making some progress! I am about 1/2" past collarbone, I hope to be at least APL by my birthday in May (and no more trims!)

chrissy-b
December 9th, 2008, 12:37 PM
I take 1 mg a day in my hair supplement.

ecologystudent
December 9th, 2008, 12:41 PM
I get mine form my multivitamin along with a bunch of b vitamins. I get 3,000mcg = 3mg = 1,000% of your daily need.

Beloved
December 9th, 2008, 09:36 PM
What is biotin supposed to do for you?

Sissy
December 9th, 2008, 09:54 PM
I take a vitamin B complex and find that this makes a bigger difference than just taking the biotin alone. But I can't say right now how much I'm taking. I think it's 300x the recommended dosis for a day. I take it only every second and daily a multi.

Be careful with taking vitamin B in addition to a multi. Too much vitamin B can be bad. Not sure which B vitamins you're taking but my husband is an RN and I wanted to get a Vitamin B supplement for my hair and he said don't do it as it can cause liver damage or nerve damage. He did say it's OK to take more than the daily dose of Biotin as it's not a vitamin. I would have never known too much B vitamins could be dangerous if not for him. I just did a quick google of it and appears it is true:
http://www.eclecticphysician.com/archive.php?action=Nbr&Nbr=179

Sissy
December 9th, 2008, 09:56 PM
also, I take 600 mcg of Biotin daily... this is in addition to my woman's multi, but it's safe to do so as the excess just gets excreted from body.

kwhitchurch
December 11th, 2008, 12:06 PM
I tried to look a little but couldn't find much on whether taking other supplements can help in the absorption of biotin?

Heidi_234
December 11th, 2008, 12:28 PM
(sorry for the hijack, I've got a related question)
I have those Vitamin B complex pills called Forcapil and on the package it says it got 0.97 mg of biotin in each pill, which is 970% of the recommended daily dose. And it also says to take 2 pills a day (morning and night). Isn't it highly overdose of biotin then? Up to 1800% of the recommended amount? How much Biotin is too much?

Rain76
December 11th, 2008, 12:29 PM
I take GNC Ultra Nourishair. I just started in 12.3, so I don't see any difference yet, of course! It has a lot of good hair vitamins in it. The doseage is 2 a day, which only gives me a month's supply per bottle, so it can get expensive. I think it has 200% biotin, not sure.

mira-chan
December 11th, 2008, 12:53 PM
None. I have every just about every single listed side effect to B vitamin supplements, the whole lot of them. I wish they worked for me. :(

venividibxtchy
December 13th, 2008, 05:07 AM
None. I have every just about every single listed side effect to B vitamin supplements, the whole lot of them. I wish they worked for me. :(

Mind sharing a list of some that we can watch out for?

Lady Verity
December 13th, 2008, 05:22 AM
I take 300 micrograms now - I found out how little is really in the vitamin B complex I was taking, so I took matters into my own hands. I'm hoping I'll see a difference. My hair grows very slowly indeed.

Heidi_234
December 13th, 2008, 05:27 AM
How much biotin is recommended for optimal hair growth?

Sissy
December 14th, 2008, 12:14 AM
(sorry for the hijack, I've got a related question)
I have those Vitamin B complex pills called Forcapil and on the package it says it got 0.97 mg of biotin in each pill, which is 970% of the recommended daily dose. And it also says to take 2 pills a day (morning and night). Isn't it highly overdose of biotin then? Up to 1800% of the recommended amount? How much Biotin is too much?

From what my husband told me (he's an R.N. not that it makes him an expert on Biotin or anything), you can take as much Biotin as you want and it will be OK as you will just excrete it. B Vitamins on the other hand (even though they are water soluble)... if you get too much of that it could cause liver or nerve damage.

flapjack
December 14th, 2008, 02:26 AM
I take one 1000 mcg pill per day. My multivitamin also has some biotin in it.

beehives
December 14th, 2008, 03:46 AM
I take a 5mg supplement in addition to the measly 30 mcg in my multivitamin.

I really wish I'd started measuring my growth before and after I starting taking biotin, but my hair seems to be growing pretty quickly, so I can't complain. I'll be adding in a few more components (MegaTek, MSM, flax) in the next few months, but this time I'll keep track of how much each is helping so I can, if necessary, cut out some things to save cash.

Heidi_234
December 14th, 2008, 03:59 AM
From what my husband told me (he's an R.N. not that it makes him an expert on Biotin or anything), you can take as much Biotin as you want and it will be OK as you will just excrete it. B Vitamins on the other hand (even though they are water soluble)... if you get too much of that it could cause liver or nerve damage.
Thank you very very much for the info! :bluesmile

mira-chan
December 15th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Mind sharing a list of some that we can watch out for?
From biotin? Nausea and nasty acne mostly. From B vitamins overall I the previous with the acne lasting half a year after I stopped taking the vitamins, this is not unusual for it last that long apparently. Plus general digestive problems (diarrhea, upset stomach, etc.) Itchiness in spot, trouble sleeping, neon yellow urine. There may be other things I'm forgetting now.

Other than the acne all this went away a couple of days after I stopped taking them.

If you have a sensitivity to these it will show up within a week of starting them, though the acne may be a bit slower but still pretty quick. If you get no reaction then you are fine.

B vitamins need to be in balance with each other and the absorption of them is different from person to person. The side effects happen if you are sensitive to the chemical variety or if you put these out of balance to a certain level.

justgreen
December 15th, 2008, 11:39 AM
I think I can honestly say that Biotin has helped my hair and nails grow healthier. I know my nails are growing faster, I have to file on them all the time as I don't like them long. Plus, with all the fibro and throid , high blood pressure meds I take, my hair is growing normally. Whereas before, it grew so slow, I only had to trim my bangs about every 3-4 months. Now I have to trim once a month.

Darkhorse1
December 15th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Sorry, I have to say everytime I see this thread, I smile because we give biotin suppliments to horses who have weak hooves--to strengthen the hoof wall :) Works for them..well, some of them. Some have to use a stronger suppliment.

Just wanted to add that to any horsey peeps who, I'm sure, think the same thing :D

Akiko
December 19th, 2008, 10:31 AM
I think Biotin is not working for me. :sad

I bought a bottle two weeks ago. And I noticed every time I take this high dosage pill, I feel as though my blood sugar is totally out of balance. Fatigue, slight dizziness. I have to lie down. A half glass of OJ or/and several clementines helped me.

Does anyone else have a similar experience? I cannot think of any other reasons. The only thing I changed from my regular routine is biotin.:(

feralnature
December 22nd, 2008, 01:19 AM
This thread seems to have some mis-information in it. I am an RN and love all this kind of stuff :)

Biotin IS a vitamin. It is NOT one listed as one overdosed on. The vitamins A,D,E and K (they spell "ADEK") are the ones you overdose on.

Here is good old wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biotin
"There are no reported cases of adverse effects from receiving high doses of the vitamin"

(Oh, I may be a nurse, but am not acting as one here, legalities and all)

Heidi_234
December 22nd, 2008, 02:44 AM
This thread seems to have some mis-information in it. I am an RN and love all this kind of stuff :)

Biotin IS a vitamin. It is NOT one listed as one overdosed on. The vitamins A,D,E and K (they spell "ADEK") are the ones you overdose on.

Here is good old wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biotin
"There are no reported cases of adverse effects from receiving high doses of the vitamin"

(Oh, I may be a nurse, but am not acting as one here, legalities and all)

But B vitamin can be harmful too in very high dosages, can't they?

Akiko
December 22nd, 2008, 09:32 AM
I did some google search and found a number of studies confirmed biotin plays a role in regulating blood sugar levels in people with Type II diabetes. High dosage of biotin lowers blood sugar levels. I am not diabetic, but hypoglycemic. I cannot say it is related for sure. But I certainly felt the symptoms of low blood sugar 30 minutes or so after I took 5,000 mcg of biotin. The symptoms seem to have gotten worse after repeated intake. It took me several hours to get back to normal. If I don't take, I am feeling as usual. Hmmm.:confused: I am just afraid of taking that much biotin anymore. Maybe it's mental...:rolleyes:

jojo
January 8th, 2009, 10:47 AM
when you say spots do you mean on your head? You hair? I have been taking it for just about a week now so I can't tell if it is making a difference yet...I am also taking about 2000 of Vit E now because of a healing complication with some plastic surgery I had and I have noticed a difference in my skin and nails almost immediately, so hopefully it will help my hair too!
be careful with taking too much vit e if you want to help with healing zinc is much better taken with a vit c! im a RN btw and also had a complicaton with cosmetic surgery a few years back, vit e made my healing worse, the zinc and vit c really helped though, hope this helps you. xx